Uneven Matchmaking

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Danaj.3014

Danaj.3014

What is it about the pvp ranked season that is causing matches to be so lob-sided? I have played many competitive games from MOBA’s to shooters to fighters, but this games matchmaking system seems to be the worst I have ever seen.

Why is it so difficult to match similar skilled players together or to make 9 classes balanced when other games are able to balance around 50+ characters and millions of players.

The main problem I have with Guild Wars 2 is that im losing 10-20 matches in a row. Almost every match I lose is a complete upset where my team had no chance of winning from the start. I can accept the occasional stomp where the enemy team won by over double their score but give me a break…10 matches in a row where my team is getting stomped with no win in sight is depressing.

I literally can’t even move up a tier at the moment and honestly I would be ok with that if it was at least a little back and forth winning and losing, but losing 20+ games in the last 2 days and only winning maybe…5? that’s soul crushing and its really not fun at all.

In unranked I actually enjoyed pvp because even if I lost a couple matches in a row I could look forward to the next match because I might be able to win eventually and even get a win streak going to boost my ego a bit.

I could even understand if maybe im not the best player, but then why am i being paired against people who are obviously better than my entire team.

I’ve included a picture of my last 10 matches, unfortunately I can’t look back further but you get the idea. My match history looks like that for the past 3 days

Attachments:

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: jessiestiles.9437

jessiestiles.9437

Anet intentionally designed the system so that some people would lose repeatedly. They won’t answer anyone’s complaints about this. So the game is a big fiery ball visible from space.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Danaj.3014

Why is that? was there something wrong with it before? I have been enjoying pvp as it was. The current system is literally anti-fun

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

The games are stacked to make it easier for the pros who were stuck in your situation now.. who couldn’t win an evenly matched game.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Danaj.3014

So from my understanding is that mmr isnt taken into account anymore. shouldn’t the randomness of the matches still work out to about 50% win rates? why is it that pro players are all stacked on one side versus average players like myself?

P.S. for a game that touts “Esports this and Esports that” its actually really pathetic that mmr isnt even taken into consideration on top of the horrible balance

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

They are not random. It was 50% last season but this season its teams with a higher mmr against teams with a lower mmr. The teams with the higher mmr get ahead and the teams with the lower mmr get fed up and quit.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Danaj.3014

oh wow i cant believe they actually thought that would be a good idea. I didnt think it was designed like that because it sounds so stupid

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

jessiestiles.9437

Way to promote your investment hey? Now they’ve gone all quite waiting for the dust to settle rather than admit it was a mistake.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Danaj.3014

That’s such a shame too. PvP was never my favorite but it was always nice to do a few rounds and have some fun. With a good ranked system it would of been even more entertaining on top of that the extra rewards are always nice.

Now its just frustrating and making me want to quit pvp altogether

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: masterfoo.6320

masterfoo.6320

Hey man, I understand what many of you guys are going through, but don’t give up hope yet! There are ways of getting around the system very easily; one being to queue up with friends/decent players who won’t afk. If you’re interested I’ve started a thread to help people stuck in situations like these; you can check it out here

End The Streak (ETS) PvP guild is here to help!
Learn more here

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Because ANET refuses to hire someone who knows how to do matchmaking. It’s a joke at this point.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What is it about the pvp ranked season that is causing matches to be so lob-sided? I have played many competitive games from MOBA’s to shooters to fighters, but this games matchmaking system seems to be the worst I have ever seen.

Its because teams are only matched based on pip range. The assumption seemed to be that players of similar levels would settle into a pip range but as with most assumptions it has turned out wrong. Almost 2 weeks into the season and I’m still mostly getting lopsided matches.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Danaj.3014

Its because teams are only matched based on pip range. The assumption seemed to be that players of similar levels would settle into a pip range but as with most assumptions it has turned out wrong. Almost 2 weeks into the season and I’m still mostly getting lopsided matches.

Its such a strange assumption to make. People were complaining about new players getting an “average mmr” when they start but this is the exact same deal except even more aggressive and worst of all it follows you throughout the divisions

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: johnyboy.3614

johnyboy.3614

no this is the worst PVP Matchmaker iv ever seen, its like ANET wanted too fail
who’s kittening Idea was this system cus it’s joke,

what matchmaker is doing is pairing you with people of similar MMR and that’s it, it doesn’t make you fight a team with similar MMR so you can just guess what happens if you lose you get too play with low MMR players even if your skillz are 10X better then your low MMR friends.

your not carrying that! GG Anet Well F’N played, i dont even think blizz still can kitten up this badly

just dont lose games or team up, lawl

i lost alot of games try too finsh up my pvp achev’s what a bad idea that was not too forget playing Day 1 waz a bad idea too fighting premades 70% of the time.

this PVP sys is trash and guess kittening how Anet wont be able too fix this till Season3,
i still think they will reuse most of this trash system, but all tell you what Anet you kitten up Season 3 im kittening out, Camelot:unchained cant kitten up this badly

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Some suggestions:

1.Hard MMR wipe including win/loss record since this season seriously deflated MMR and win/loss ratio through repeated unlucky streaks which are only broken occasionally when you got into another tier.

2.Copy a more successful team game’s algorithm including division drops. Why try reinventing the wheel?

3.Preseasons to establish an MMR for placement in a division next season.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

This matchmaking is nothing but frustrating. You get a few good matchups and then get punished through no fault of your own. What fun is being matched where you are SUPPOSED to lose?

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Funny thing is… the only thing anet would have to do to save this season… is to bracket teams according to their mmr. Not make it 50/50 wl chance… bracket it so that the lower team at least has 30% chance to win.

Still lopsided but with the chance to climb out of mmr hell.

Nothing else would have to be changed.

But nope, they are busy re-designing skyhammer – an unranked map. Shows you quite obviously the priorities.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

The MMR stuff is just broken beyond repair. Some games I beat the other side 500-100 then next game they’re on my team = insta lose.

Some games I get pros like team PZ on my team where I’m clearly a liability compared to them and other games I get kill shot warriors on my team who contribute nothing and lose us the match.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

I’ve been stomped many times in exactly the same way, from the very start of the match. I play unranked in order to unlock reward tracks, in the time it took me to fully unlock 3 tracks I’ve had 1 even match. All the rest either my team wins overwhelmingly or loses horribly which is the more common outcome btw.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

Yeah, matchmaking is a joke. One moment I’m being stomped repeatedly 500-100 and the next game I win 500-5 against some players probably playing for the first time. It’s a mess and I don’t have any faith it’ll be sorted until it’s too late and everyone has moved on.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Season 2 is an example of what happens when theory takes precedence over practice. I believe that the thinking probably went like this;

If you create very uneven matches it will quickly boost the better players out of range. If that actually happened, matches would rapidly become 50/50. This would be because only similar skilled players would be left in any given bracket.

I could go on in detail about why that won’t work in practice. Instead, I’ll say this; Making a system that is deliberately unfair is not logical. Such a course almost cannot fail to create resentment and alienate players.

There is no skill in winning matches that the game has expressly set up for you to win. This season’s division placement will have to do with shrewd choice of metabattle build and pre-made team. It will have little or nothing to do with an individual player’s skill level.

In my opinion, the current matchmaking system cannot claim to be “skill based.” A system that tested the skills of individual players would almost by definition have to be entirely SOLO QUEUE.

Mesmerising Girl

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

1 pip from Diamond and I get this game….
What a joke.

Attachments:

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

1 pip from Diamond and I get this game….
What a joke.

Dw, making sure team PZ has fun trolling on their alt accounts is more important than the rest of us plebs getting fair matchmaking.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Sismis.5390

Sismis.5390

Match making cannot work with low player base.Guild wars is under 100.000 active players what certain amount is pvp active. That’s why you always see same names in arena.People suggested Solo and team arena what will never happen cause even more people will see broken MM and game will feel more empty,taking 10 hours for a match to find players.And many others issues what causing bad pvp experience and driving more people away.

I was feeling a bit screw-loose so I…checked myself in.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

OP you have only 191 matches on necro. Your total winrate is 51.68%. I think with grind and luck you may have moved to a league where you didn’t belong and have hit the problem with the new matchmaking. You get only matched with people in your league and not with people in you MMR range. If you are in a too high league you get mostly matches above your skill level and even if you lose many of them you can’t lose league and go to a lower league witch may fit you skill level better.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: baylock.1703

baylock.1703

More importantly only 721 games in ranked compare to most pvp players who have over 5k

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

OP you have only 191 matches on necro. Your total winrate is 51.68%. I think with grind and luck you may have moved to a league where you didn’t belong and have hit the problem with the new matchmaking. You get only matched with people in your league and not with people in you MMR range. If you are in a too high league you get mostly matches above your skill level and even if you lose many of them you can’t lose league and go to a lower league witch may fit you skill level better.

Wrong !! Both are taken into account. So you have no idea how the S2 MM works, do you??

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

More importantly only 721 games in ranked compare to most pvp players who have over 5k

By most pvp er, do you mean those who have been playing since beta or what? The OP has close to 2k games, don’t you think he know the basics by now?

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Dw, making sure team PZ has fun trolling on their alt accounts is more important than the rest of us plebs getting fair matchmaking.

Quoted for truth

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Shylock.4653

Wrong !! Both are taken into account. So you have no idea how the S2 MM works, do you??

I actually think you didn’t have. The league division defines the possible players. You MMR defines which of these get selected. If all possible players have a higher MMR you still get matched against them.

Beginning with Season 2, matchmaking for Ranked matches will use your placement in your current league division as your primary matchmaking consideration and pair you against players who are placed in the same point range as you, regardless of the skill level (MMR) of the other people in that point range . While we’ll be using divisions to match you against your immediate opponents, we’ll still use your MMR to place you on teams with similarly skilled players (from your division point range)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Upcoming-Changes-for-PvP-League-Season-2

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Shylock.4653

By most pvp er, do you mean those who have been playing since beta or what? The OP has close to 2k games, don’t you think he know the basics by now?

Maybe recheck his statistics, he has 1,277 matches of which only 376 where ranked and in total he only played 191 as necro.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/220551/ergerag24534t35t.png

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

I actually think you didn’t have. The league division defines the possible players. You MMR defines which of these get selected. If all possible players have a higher MMR you still get matched against them.

Beginning with Season 2, matchmaking for Ranked matches will use your placement in your current league division as your primary matchmaking consideration and pair you against players who are placed in the same point range as you, regardless of the skill level (MMR) of the other people in that point range . While we’ll be using divisions to match you against your immediate opponents, we’ll still use your MMR to place you on teams with similarly skilled players (from your division point range)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Upcoming-Changes-for-PvP-League-Season-2

Op maybe you have trouble understanding your own words but here is what you said :

. You get only matched WITH people in your league and not WITH people in you MMR range. (I have capitalized the WITH to help you.)

And here is what Anet posted:

[/quote]

Dude, I mean at least take some time to read your own words, I know these threads can get exciting. So, your team is made of folks with similar MMR, and match against X.

Maybe recheck his statistics, he has 1,277 matches of which only 376 where ranked and in total he only played 191 as necro.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/220551/ergerag24534t35t.png

Ok, caught it. But I wouldn’t blame it for trying what’s OP, it worked for quite a few folks thus far.

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Don’t bring facts into these arguments. They don’t care. Most of them argue about the matchmaking without at least understanding how its supposed to work. This guy doesnt understand that there are literally thousands of players that have like 5x or more games experience in pvp then he does.

Uneven Matchmaking

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

I have way more ranked matches… and what do I get for it? Nada.

Lots of good players have < 1k ranked matches, they did their share of unranked and hotjoin games. Got good there and only touched ranked when either streaming, or having a good build all set up.
So, they have < 1k matches but a winrate of >70%, which makes for a really nice mmr and former leaderboards position.

No clue really why you guys think the amount of ranked matches actually says anything about being good or not. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess?