Upcoming Changes to Skills

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

try playing power reaper. that outta incite some real outrage within quickly

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in PvP

Posted by: Paul.2054

Paul.2054

I’ll go over a short summary of thoughts on each of the new changes.

Deadshot Amulet: Seems like it will probably be a better amulet for Necro more than anything Wanderer’s with HP for shroud will be nice. This is a decent amulet for something condi that needs to crit and has low HP but I’m not entirely sure who’s looking to use it. Maybe a burn guard or thief. It gets weird because some of these builds still want Power but I think it might be suitable.

Rune of the Lynx: Finally a useful movespeed runeset. I hope this will shortly be added to WvW people will appreciate this a lot for some classes like Mesmer, Guardian and Necro when it comes to roaming.

Elementalist: More scepter buffs Arc Lightning increase is pretty high but in one sense it’s not necessarily where the burst damage comes from so it seems safe to buff. Promotes a disciplined playstyle of swapping out of air while channeling it with fresh air builds to maximize damage should be a nice change.

Arcane Shield changes are a great start I think 40 second may be too long still maybe 30-35 seconds with reduced damage would be more suitable since I think people desire abilities like this for defensive purposes and don’t consider how strong the damage can be.

Engineer: I thought this was good when I thought the initial damage of Jump Shot was buffed by 56% too xd. These changes won’t be enough to take rifle the auto needs to be stronger and cone based abilities not hitting on inclines need to be fixed otherwise even this Blunderbuss buff isn’t that great.

Guardian: I like the removal of daze it is not going to destroy Guardians and the Slow actually gives Necros more counterplay while it will still be something you won’t want to stand in. The buffs to virtues scare me as it makes Guardians stronger even though they are already strong and the daze nerf doesn’t seem like a significant nerf to me. Guardians retain a majority of power while other classes get nerfed and they get buffs.

The general improvements overall to help bunker builds is nice but everyone should be afraid of our DH overlords this patch with the general buffs to virtues. Symbol guards especially the Mender’s ones will be even stronger. I think staff needs Empower to be better or the symbol to have an additional effect otherwise it wont be able to shine since its damage is low and has to be used with no toughness now.

Mesmer: Solid survivability nerfs. 100-200 healing shaved off each of the levels of heals as long as you switch to Sage’s. Much bigger nerf if you have no healing power which hurts the viability of Power builds. Menders power shatter maybe good?

Revenant: Heavy nerfs to Staff and Sword 2. Would have liked to see a little love to Hammer to compensate. Debilitating Slam was a nice change that ability is really strong but was expensive for a weapon skill. Staff deserves what it got it’s a defensive weapon that was one of the best for offense as well. Sword 2 probably should have gotten greater counter play rather than a damage nerf but that’s ok.

Pain Absorption buff is nice but scary for WvW where Mallyx is everywhere. It was a necessary buff however as this kit really needed a stun break honestly as Rev in general lacked usable stun breaks outside of Glint and Shiro.

Thief: Infiltrator’s buff is a nice start 600 range was fairly short and with the removal of the port glitch it really needed help. Immob increase is something that scares me but you know the weapon is pretty weak right now so maybe it deserves it.

I don’t want condi thieves to be viable they’re really annoying to fight against it’s difficult to fight against them when they apply condis while evading or teleporting.

~~~~~Things that weren’t directly changed~~~~~

Warrior: Warrior needed some help that it didn’t get. They’re really pub stompy but have a rough time against Eles and their survivability nerf actually hurt them quite a bit. I would still like to see Eviscerate able to be effected by Quickness again and perhaps get leap range increased to what it was before when Super Speed/Swiftness/Quickness effected leaps.

Ranger: I appreciate the Revenant nerfs at least? Guardians are buffed again and soon Ranger will have a tough time killing even non experienced Guardians at this rate. As Druids and Revenants get weaker Guardians get stronger as they were probably the only 2 classes keeping them in check.

Ele/Necro: These classes overall benefited highly from the nerfs to Revenant and the trap change to DH. The new amulet is a good look for Necro. Necros may become big stars in the meta now that a lot of the Power classes will have to work harder to kill them.

Paul xD – Team P Z[PZ]

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Can the changes for ele be global? Scepter and arcane shield are garbage in all modes right now and need buffs everywhere besides just in pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Class roles are not a player invention, they are just logic at work. There’s always going to be a build each class has that is more or less the best, and because different classes have different mechanics, certain classes will excel at certain roles. The only way to negate that would be to make all classes functionally the same.

Not really true. For example, Guardian was the top support bunker for years and then changes happened and it was ele that took that role. I fail to see how class mechanics come into play at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Guardian:The buffs to virtues scare me as it makes Guardians stronger even though they are already strong and the daze nerf doesn’t seem like a significant nerf to me. Guardians retain a majority of power while other classes get nerfed and they get buffs.

Players have complained about Traps and just traps. It’s unhealthy gameplay (not because it was OP [it wasn’t]) is the #1 reason why Anet felt the need to make the change, and a domino change from other items that resulted from it.

EDIT
It’s Core virtue changes… not DH Virtue changes. We read it wrong… DH Guard is going to be in a weird spot while Core Guard, well, idk what Anet is wanting from them.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

I don’t see changing from Carrion on my necro. Fury and the crit increasing traits necros get allow the necro on crit traits to go off plenty. Would rather have 4k more hits and i like having the extra power.

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

They are pushing a condi meta sooo hard.

Fresh Air eles will never be viable as long as power thieves/daredevils delete them with just a stare. The arcane Shield buff and the channeling and target nature of most scepter skills wont change such a hard counter.

You didn’t even touch what makes PvP unfun and annoying:

Stability and boon spam in general (worsened with HoT).
Block uptime (worsened with HoT).
AoE and single target blind spam.
Extremely low CD stun breakers (introduced with HoT).
Still too much sustain, dodge spam and invulnerability frames.
Autotrigger passive traits.
Extreme unbalance on mobility (combat and out of combat) among different classes.
You barely touched CC by nerfing Piercing Light, you still have loooong ways to go.

And the high risk high reward ratio with 90% of the HoT skills (it’s all kittened up).

in PvP

Posted by: Uuni.3561

Uuni.3561

I get why nerfs are for PvP only but buffs to traits and skills that aren’t used in PvE? Is there any reason why things like that virtue of justice change aren’t applied to PvE as well? I mean, PvE balance is completely out of whack between the different classes and builds so giving a breath of fresh air and allowing new builds to shine wouldn’t hurt at all. I want my condi guardian to work so badly but it’s just not good enough ;__;

Maybe it’s a different group of people in charge of PvE but it’d be great if you could pass forward some of these ideas to whoever is in charge of PvE balance!

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Could you change more than 2 elementalist skills at the time? There is like 25+ useless skills including our elites.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Happy to hear the daze from trap Guards is gone.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Necromancer

Added hot key to facilitate targeting. Anyone can press alt-n to target the nearest Necromancer.

Ranger

Removed Menders amulet to increase Druid build diversity. We also increased healing scaling while reducing base numbers. Healing will be more effective with over 1,400 healing power and significantly less below this.

Warrior

We felt that Warrior needs more passive defense so increased endure pain duration by 200%.

:)

i normally find ur posts to be to QQy but kitten that one made laugh

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in PvP

Posted by: BeLZedaR.4790

BeLZedaR.4790

I hope you realize rev is beyong garbage tier with these changes. You nerfed every other option other than going full offense traits and bursting people down. Aka: condi nerf, retri nerf.
Now you nerf the last option rev has which means rev will see no play and will have 0 impact on matches and if you play rev it means you really want to lose.

How is this a good change to season 5 where people will be playing rev and i’ll have to convince them to swap so it won’t be a 4v5? Ntm people who main rev are forced to play other stuff because it’s so bad.

If you’re going to put up a nerf like this on a class that has 1 viable playstyle, buff something else or you’re removing the class altogether.

Make condi rev great again.
Top 25 solo condi rev S7

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

We’re going to bring some elements of the main power build down slightly

slightly

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Can we get the Core Virtue changes for PvE as well?

in PvP

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

please please please, test the new thief builds in real pvp before you cl them viable options

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

in PvP

Posted by: Cal Cohen

Previous

Cal Cohen

QA Embed

Next

Lots of great feedback in this thread! I see a lot of concern about the nerfs to revenant so I would like to discuss those a bit more.

Surge of the Mists is a skill that does everything. It evades attacks, is a massive cc, and does a huge amount of damage. The defensive capability and cc fit well with the rest of the staff set, so we felt the damage was the best spot to bring the skill down a bit. 50% is certainly a big reduction, but consider just how much damage this skill does right now. Even after the nerf it will still take a chunk out of a squishy’s health bar, in addition to providing cc setup for another skill (and teammates).

Precision Strike is another skill that we felt did too much damage on its own, particularly when all 3 projectiles hit one player. This is another case of a big reduction on a skill that does a ton of damage, resulting in a skill that still does a reasonable amount of damage.

In general, revenant isn’t lacking in sources of damage. Unrelenting Assault, Facets of Strength, Elements, and Chaos, Equilibrium, and sword autoattack are all strong damage skills as well. Precision Strike and Surge of the Mists will continue to bring relevant damage to the table, so rev should still have plenty of damage to go around.

With that said, we will definitely be keeping a close eye on things going into the season.

cmc in game

in PvP

Posted by: BeLZedaR.4790

BeLZedaR.4790

Lots of great feedback in this thread! I see a lot of concern about the nerfs to revenant so I would like to discuss those a bit more.

Surge of the Mists is a skill that does everything. It evades attacks, is a massive cc, and does a huge amount of damage. The defensive capability and cc fit well with the rest of the staff set, so we felt the damage was the best spot to bring the skill down a bit. 50% is certainly a big reduction, but consider just how much damage this skill does right now. Even after the nerf it will still take a chunk out of a squishy’s health bar, in addition to providing cc setup for another skill (and teammates).

Precision Strike is another skill that we felt did too much damage on its own, particularly when all 3 projectiles hit one player. This is another case of a big reduction on a skill that does a ton of damage, resulting in a skill that still does a reasonable amount of damage.

In general, revenant isn’t lacking in sources of damage. Unrelenting Assault, Facets of Strength, Elements, and Chaos, Equilibrium, and sword autoattack are all strong damage skills as well. Precision Strike and Surge of the Mists will continue to bring relevant damage to the table, so rev should still have plenty of damage to go around.

With that said, we will definitely be keeping a close eye on things going into the season.

Well, just saying that damage is the ONLY thing rev has, and now that its damage is par with something like a guardian, there’s literally no reason to take it anymore.

Also, some players can dodge, btw. So no, rev doesn’t have enough damage now.

In short rev will be thief without stealth now. GJ.

Make condi rev great again.
Top 25 solo condi rev S7

(edited by BeLZedaR.4790)

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

This is the great new of this whole year! I can’t wait to leave that block block block 12345 spam hell of HoT! Thx for your team take back the control of skill modify and design!

in PvP

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I’m really surprised. Game mode splits will do ALOT moving forward. My confidence (albeit with a healthy sense of skepticism) in the devs has been renewed.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in PvP

Burtnik.5218

In general you messed up too much with the original desing of revenant and broke everything. Nobody forced you, devs to change the way sword acted. Precision sttrike was all about utility to slow down enemies at release and you broke it. Now it overpowered 1v1 but useless in any 1vX, targets some invisible objects and what not. NOT FIXED TO THIS DAY BTW.

Cd’s slapped and raised on literally everything when rev was about reverse system to thief in that he would have a free choice of spamming X utility as long he has energy to do so or weapon skills themself having low cd’s+energy cost. Take a look at current cd’s of rev weapon skills and tell me if they are lower compared to literally every class ingame. No, they f arent yet they still cost energy. Is there any other class that has to bother with cd’s+energy? I dont think so.

Rev is a class without condi cleanse, without any reliable source of stability, without reliable healing, without reliable source of damage bc for whatever reason it spreads over many targets lowering it drastically to single target unlike every other skill ingame.

Thats one of many examples how you ruined this class so thanks for the game but for me gw2 and your company is as good as dead. You literally have no idea what you doing whatsoever and all the evidence is in patch notes from last 4 years.

in PvP

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Seconding this.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Tbh rev is proly still going to be meta after nerfs anyway, so i dont get that much whining so early

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Personally I think the rev nerfs were 100% deserved, especially Surge of the Mists. I can’t stand abilities which just do everything, it’s terrible design. “I’m invulnerable because I’m evading, I’m CCing you, I’m dealing insane amounts of damage. All with one ability”. I completely agree with the devs here.

I think this is a pretty good balance patch overall really. Just like the last patch, overpowered builds are getting nerfed, and underpowered builds are getting buffed (support guardians and scepter/glyph eles), all while being split appropriately for PvP. I’m super glad the guardian’s staff is finally getting some buffs in PvP. It’s just a shame warriors, necros, and rangers don’t appear to be getting any changes.

Seconding this.

This.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Precision Strike still does its thing… I don’t see what the fret’s about. SotM has evade, along with Staff 3 (also an evade), and then you also have Glint healing and… yeah.

SotM isn’t ever my main method of damage… Sword 3 usually is. Staff is a resistance-type weapon in general too. I was baffled at why the damage for SotM was so high.

I noticed that everyone ignored all the positive buffs and focused on this nerf (divisive). I’m feeling they want Mallyx back in the scene, which is gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

in PvP

Posted by: ProDecius.2609

ProDecius.2609

As a “try hard wanna be best” Fresh Air elementalist, I am utterly ecstatic about these incoming buffs. I doubt anyone here comprehends how happy I am to see that damage increase to arc lighting. It’s nice to not be bottom of the food chain anymore in terms of balance, sorry revenant players : ( your nerfs are unfair.

(edited by ProDecius.2609)

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

surge of mists should’ve had its damage reduced in all game modes considering how its being used just as an extra kill power everywhere instead of being a defensive skill

and what of those guardian virtue buffs? not enough uptime on permablocks? lol

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

The base virtue buffs are there to give an actual reason to use base guardians over DHs. In fact using a base guardian provides less blocks overall due to the lack of Shield of Courage. A 20 second cd buff on an ability which applies one stack of aegis to allies is not even remotely “permablocking”.

The general improvements overall to help bunker builds is nice but everyone should be afraid of our DH overlords this patch with the general buffs to virtues. Symbol guards especially the Mender’s ones will be even stronger. I think staff needs Empower to be better or the symbol to have an additional effect otherwise it wont be able to shine since its damage is low and has to be used with no toughness now.

How exactly do base virtue buffs make DHs more threatening? DHs have literally only been nerfed slightly in this patch and non-DH guardians have been buffed.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Why are the ele, engi and core guardian buffs pvp only? Lookts like “Lets split skills for absolutely no reason” to me :/

in PvP

Burtnik.5218

I noticed that everyone ignored all the positive buffs and focused on this nerf (divisive). I’m feeling they want Mallyx back in the scene, which is gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Want Mallyx back? Undo the nerf to resistance trait, bring back condition copy that was removed after bwe2 and give elite pulsing resistance. Till then Mallyx will remain as total potato. Also it doesnt address two most important thing – rev still doesnt have ranged condi weapon and mace 2 n axe 5 are buggy af to the point where they even fail to deal damage at flat ground sometimes.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

good things but most of those skill chanages did´t need the split. + for spliting but keep it as low as possible.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Fiddling whilst rome burns I am afraid. They need a huge patch to reverse the power creep and rework all the traits to be less passive and overpowered.

Pointlessly bad patch. It makes the game worse by just buffing stuff.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Kolzi.5928

Kolzi.5928

Is there any chance this means we could see a few changes that were made to the whole game for pvps sake reverted in pve? In particular I’d like to see True Shot for Dragonhunters be returned to its old glory in pve. The longbow and how it played, the way it centered around lining things up and creating a strong burst with true shot and general reliance on an ability that fixed your positioning but gave great reward for doing so and so on… basically the longbow FELT so much better back then and I am hoping to have that back so I once again want to use my longbow in open world pve at the least.

in PvP

Posted by: thijsken.5031

thijsken.5031

So my biggest concern with nerfing rev is the following:

So first of all let’s be honest ele is pretty dam strong atm, not taking an ele in your team is basically not even considered. An ele had to choose between different traits according to matchups making it weak against some things and strong against other things. But if you nerf rev thus letting ele just take diamond skin, what will kill ele?

• thief? It’s not even sure if thief will be meta but if it is, a thief can’t stick to an ele as a rev and simply can’t afford it as they die to aoe cleave.
  • guard? With the amount of projectile hate from the ele itself and other classes ( scrapper), it’s quite hard for the guard to kill the ele or other targets in teamfights.

I think this will result in ele being over the top and simply not dying in teamfights as they can just fully spec against condi builds thus making the teamfights last much longer as the ele heals not only himself but obviously heals his allies by a large amount.

(edited by thijsken.5031)

in PvP

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Now downgrades on necros and warriors.. thats an upgrade in its own right

in PvP

Erzian.5218

1v1: thief
else: thief/reaper

@thijsken

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

No changes to necro or ranger? I don’t really see why that is.

Good rune and amulet added though.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

reaper is ele bane in teamfights. I main ele and while i can somtimes handle them in 1:1 the boon corrupt totally kills me in teamfights …. One reason to target necro first …
Also the sustained condi spam from mesmer is hard to handle. Only presuring the mesmer gives me a chance. Thiefs are always a threat when the player behind attacks at the right moment but not as a 1:1 “Counter”. At least that is my experience. I kill nearly all try hard thiefs. The good ones kill fast out of nowhere ;-).
As said the changes look good just most could have been done globaly.
I am not shure about the rune. Might be dangerous. The changes alltogether look like a significant buff to guardian. We migth see powerful symbol guardians rise that now have 25% movement.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: thijsken.5031

thijsken.5031

@thijsken

when does an ele 1v1 a thief?

And as I said thief can’t do the same job rev did:
1: they can’t stick that well to an ele as a rev ( due to dying to aoe cleave).
2: thieves are rarely in big teamfights to begin with (in contrast to ele).
And yes reaper but ele can go alot more anti-condi now, which is the issue i adressed.

in PvP

Posted by: gnollbane.3620

gnollbane.3620

Wow guys can we get pvp/wvw balances that don’t effect pve, wvw is pvp as well!!!???

in PvP

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

Revenant is officially a dead class lol. The only thing its good for now is completing Living Story 3 Map Dailies.

Why?

• Very predictable and slow move sets makes your “powerful attacks” miss.
  • Nerfed to the ground
  • Mediocre damage
  • Mediocre healing
  • Only 3 out of 6 of its traitline is worth using.
  • Easily killed by Condi’s even if you use Mallyx and spam resistance
  • Easily killed by Stunners. (Warrior, PI Thief, Macro Mesmer etc)
  • Easily Bursted (Macro Mesmer, Thieves )
  • Easily killed by anything that uses Shields, Reflects, Blocks, Invul, Evade.
  • The only good Revenant weapon left is the “Spear”. Hammer – nerfed, Sword – nerfed, Staff – nerfed, Shield – nerfed, Axe – does not need a nerf coz it sux to begin with.
  • Only 2 out of the 5 Legends are worth using and theyre both nerfed.
  • Your better off using any other class. Even a Tempest is going to be better than Rev.

Why should you play Rev in Season 5

• You need to lose MMR
  • Your miss the feeling of losing
  • Your fingers need a workout.
  • You haven’t tried hard in a while.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

The changes look promising, and I like the upgrade to the core guardian virtues.

The main buff seems to be to virtue of justice, which might make a burn guard a little more viable, but as a support or bunker guard the DH virtues are still too good not to take.

On paper the CD reductions and heal buff to virtues of resolve and courage may look strong, but its still far too little to pass up on 6 secs of being basically invulnerable while able to cap a point and a 5,000 or so heal, movement, and condition remover that we get with the DH line. Not to mention that the trap heal is also far better than the other options which also pushes us to take the DH line.

Perhaps if you made shelter a consecration (to benefit from the trait), upped its healing and reduced its cast time, gave a serious buff to virtue of resolve- perhaps through a trait – and made courage have a 10 sec CD (I mean its only aegis, which basically does nothing in the current state of the game) or made it have a better active effect, players would be more likely to run something other than DH?

in PvP

Posted by: Velho.7123

Velho.7123

@Cal Cohen

The change to Piercing Light is PvP only, right?

Matt [LOD]
Guardian main since launch

in PvP

Posted by: Nightmare.1234

Nightmare.1234

The guardian change seems ok, it nice that they pushing base guard as the healing support spec and dragon hunter as the damage spec. But this dont work with most other elite specs due to them adding mechanics instead of overriding them. You cant fix chrono over base mesmer because you gave it a overpowered mechanic that combined with the core mesmers shatters, you gave daredevils extra dodges and added bonuses to dodges. You gave breserker extra burst skills and let them keep the old ones as well. Necro and guard the only specs that had mechanics swapped out, not added to. These two classes i would say are balanced ( ok base necro shroud needs love) but still hot elite specs broke the game, and anet need to address op mechanics first to put core and elite specs on par before gutting vaiable builds and classes. The rev nerf extreme but at least fix mallyx traitline and make ventari traitline NOT only useful when using tablet.
I will be running core only builds in season 5 in protest.

Death Good

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

The issue with revenant was not that it did too much damage, it was that the meta build was basically to go full damage traits and have the damage of a pve build with the utility of a pvp build. Thats just a flaw of the design, but to fix it they made it impossible to not go full damage build now. Doesn’t that make it more difficult to play in lower tier where its a hard class to play? I don’t really agree with their choices meeting their purposes.

better play new sword thief!

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Precision Strike still does its thing… I don’t see what the fret’s about. SotM has evade, along with Staff 3 (also an evade), and then you also have Glint healing and… yeah.

SotM isn’t ever my main method of damage… Sword 3 usually is. Staff is a resistance-type weapon in general too. I was baffled at why the damage for SotM was so high.

I agree in general. There are some harsh nerfs here but most of them aren’t so bad. SotM should not be about damage in my opinion. I don’t really care for the nerf on Precision Strike, since it’s not often that you can hit one player with all of the projectiles. However, I don’t think the change to Precision Strike will break Rev.

My biggest concern is that Staff was only powerful because of SoTM, and is not a viable weapon on its own. I have tried for many hours to use Staff as a primary weapon but haven’t been successful. It’s kited very easily, some skills have long cast times, it uses as lot of energy, and the cooldowns are long. The increased cooldown of Warding Rift is completely unnecessary and pushes Staff even farther from being a viable main weapon. Any cooldown that is shorter than 20 seconds will generally be irrelevant when staff is used only as a secondary weapon, due to the cooldown on weapon swap. So the increased cooldown on Warding Rift does nothing to displace Staff as a secondary weapon to Sword/X, while it significantly reduces the defensive capabilities of Staff if it were to be used as a primary weapon.

To that end, I would like to see the cooldown on Warding Rift reverted. I think the cooldown on SotM could also even be reduced a bit (e.g to 15 seconds), given the heavy damage nerf. Again, this wouldn’t benefit Sword/X users with Staff as a backup weapon, but it might make it more appealing for players to use Staff for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I’ll be direct. Previous changes to Rev made me stop playing. I play a Ventari based rev and I could usually still make it work up until that patch. And from what I’ve seen you guys are pretty much killing any rev build that’s based on power (not sure if condi rev can work with these changes).
Even for the meta shiro/glint these changes seem harsh.
I hope you guys have some major improvements to Ventari/x builds sustain.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

The guardian change seems ok, it nice that they pushing base guard as the healing support spec and dragon hunter as the damage spec. But this dont work with most other elite specs due to them adding mechanics instead of overriding them. You cant fix chrono over base mesmer because you gave it a overpowered mechanic that combined with the core mesmers shatters, you gave daredevils extra dodges and added bonuses to dodges. You gave breserker extra burst skills and let them keep the old ones as well. Necro and guard the only specs that had mechanics swapped out, not added to. These two classes i would say are balanced ( ok base necro shroud needs love) but still hot elite specs broke the game, and anet need to address op mechanics first to put core and elite specs on par before gutting vaiable builds and classes. The rev nerf extreme but at least fix mallyx traitline and make ventari traitline NOT only useful when using tablet.
I will be running core only builds in season 5 in protest.

As I explained in my post directly above yours, there is no reason to not take DH because it still provides far better support (healing and damage mitigation) even with the changes. The buff to the core spec only really empowers a burn guard build, which is a damage build anyway.

in PvP

Erzian.5218

@thijsken

when does an ele 1v1 a thief?

And as I said thief can’t do the same job rev did:
1: they can’t stick that well to an ele as a rev ( due to dying to aoe cleave).
2: thieves are rarely in big teamfights to begin with (in contrast to ele).
And yes reaper but ele can go alot more anti-condi now, which is the issue i adressed.

As soon as the ele leaves earth/earth5 is on cd he should die vs thief+reaper. Especially if he doesn’t have lightning flash. I mean: Ele dies 1v1 vs either of them if it doesn’t have diamond skin and dies 1v1 vs thief if if it has diamond skin. If you have thief and reaper, you should be able to take down an ele, especially since ele vs thief often ends rather quickly. At least that is what I took from watching drazeh and denshee.
When I duo queued with rome, we managed to kill most eles in less than 10 seconds once they left earth or used focus 5. Obviously most of them were just random eles but then again I am also just a random reaper.

Idk you just cannot tell me that ele becomes unkillable as soon as revenant stops being blatantly overpowered.

(edited by Erzian.5218)

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Split between pvp and other modes is great idea and should have happend long time ago.

Glad to see trap nerf for DHs (jumping on DH was impossible due to daze).

Thief changes: too little, won’t make any difference. If you want core/other weapon sets to be used you need to either adjust elites or adjust those weapon sets more (e.g. reveal on demand needs to go, it made core thief obsolete and forced everyone into DD; dagger off-hand needs a blind or some kind of secondary utility; s/d needs more boon steal – atm it is just useless due to abundance of boons on enemy; sword MH stills suffers from after cast issues; elites gave other classes mobility making core thief obsolete as roamer (e.g. druids RTL) – you have to have DD if you want to keep up with other classes and be able to decap. On one hand you butchered thief last year under excuse that they can roam and on other hand you give other classes mobility while buffing their fighting capability and survivability as well – this is NOT how balancing works, this is definition of favoritism and discrimination).

in PvP

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

No changes to necro or ranger? I don’t really see why that is.

Good rune and amulet added though.

No nerf is a buff in anets’ eyes