Update on PvP Map Achievements

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A message from the PvP Team:

Hi all,

We’ve been monitoring your feedback regarding the temporary achievements included with the recent PvP map releases, and we wanted to let you know that we’ve decided to make those achievements permanently obtainable. In addition, we will continue to offer the achievements for Eternal Coliseum and will be reactivating those related to Revenge of the Capricorn in the future to give players another chance to complete them. Lastly, we wanted to let you know that we’re planning to introduce map achievements for each of the existing PvP maps in a later release. We’ll have more information on those as the time gets closer.

Thanks!

The PvP team

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Sounds great! Do you have already all ideas you need or should we give inspiration for possible achiefments on each map?

Also pleas make an achiefment “won even when there where 300 points difference at any time of the game” in each map! As motivation! – and once a player get those ‘turn around’ achiefments in each map, the player get’s a title ‘never gonna give you up’

(edited by Tiefsee.3647)

in PvP

Posted by: Konakona.4130

Konakona.4130

That’s lame actually, that achievements were kinda nice and had their prestige, now they’re worthless. I understand that you’re trying to make it more casual but imo it’s not the right thing to do, there should be some things for people to feel good about (or little salty). Otherwise it is all the same gooey unified mush.

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Making these achievements permanent is is really lame. They should be a reward for beta testing your maps.
Also the requirements for these achievements (25 wins being the hardest part) is really low for a permanent achievement. If it is permanent all requirements should be at least 10 times higher.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

in PvP

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

The title and 5 gold reward should be temporary; else all titles should come back.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

in PvP

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Awesome news.

If folks really get their panties in a twist over something as nonsensival as a “sense of prestige” over achievements that were not hard to get but were short-lived, just make the titles non-returning. Few enough folks actually use titles for it to matter.

Though, TBH, PvP gets enough prestige titles with their seasonal new title…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I didn’t really have a problem with the way it was but kudos for listening to complaints I suppose.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Making these achievements permanent is is really lame. They should be a reward for beta testing your maps.
Also the requirements for these achievements (25 wins being the hardest part) is really low for a permanent achievement. If it is permanent all requirements should be at least 10 times higher.

The requirements are still harder than some PvE achievements…. I don’t know why you make it your quest to go around trying to make achievements harder for casual players to obtain. There is no prestige in completing these as time limited events, but if you must hold onto “prestige” then the titles and only the titles could be time limited (to be implemented as a time limited achievement worth 0 AP that hands out the titles upon completing all of the achievements for each individual map).

@Gaile Gray – Excited to hear about this. More permanent AP is always a good thing, so happy that you guys decided to not only make these achievements permanent but to also add new ones for each map in PvP.

in PvP

Tiefsee.3647

Awesome news.

If folks really get their panties in a twist over something as nonsensival as a “sense of prestige” over achievements that were not hard to get but were short-lived, just make the titles non-returning. Few enough folks actually use titles for it to matter.

Actually you nailed it, we (anet) need two kinds of achiefments, those for causal everyone can easily get (the achiefments that where difficult because of the timelimit) and a few new hardcore achiefments! They could be even idebtical for most maps, and give some finisher/title for those few that really got the skill to earn them (instead of time)

some ideas for those;
Win the game, even when you where at least 200 pounts behind the other team
Win a game without owning close
Win a game without owning two points at the same time
Own 3 ponts 80% of the game
Win when nobody dies of your team
Win a game when nobody dies from the enemys
Win a game with 2 AFK (total personal points of those pkayers 0)

Niflhel;
steal all creatures (steal, do max 10% of the total damage but still get them)
Win when the enemy took all creatures

Temple;
Win without getting any buffs

in PvP

Posted by: Daskanier.6894

Daskanier.6894

Thank you! Thank you very much! I like the idea behind these Achivments, but the requirements felt to high if you are no activ pvp’ler but like to test new map and be rewarded for it. So i have sooo much more time for something i like doing from time to time.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackwood.9072

Blackwood.9072

250 wins? Oh heck no. Not everyone who plays these maps is a hardcore PvPer and getting 250 represents a major grind.

Not mention some of the others. You’d want people to get 1500 kills? The Slayer achievement asks for 2000. A single map would then be 75% of that.

If they did alter the requirements then double would be more reasonable, but TBH I’d prefer the current setup. If all maps eventually have a set of achievements then it might not easy to get the map I’m currently working on since it would be RNG to be 1 of 4 choices when I have more than 4 maps in rotation.

in PvP

Malediktus.3740

Awesome news.

Actually you nailed it, we (anet) need two kinds of achiefments, those for causal everyone can easily get (the achiefments that where difficult because of the timelimit) and a few new hardcore achiefments! They could be even idebtical for most maps, and give some finisher/title for those few that really got the skill to earn them (instead of time)

some ideas for those;

Niflhel;

Temple;

Sounds like some of your suggestions would created unintended player behaviors…

250 wins? Oh heck no. Not everyone who plays these maps is a hardcore PvPer and getting 250 represents a major grind.

Not mention some of the others. You’d want people to get 1500 kills? The Slayer achievement asks for 2000. A single map would then be 75% of that.

If they did alter the requirements then double would be more reasonable, but TBH I’d prefer the current setup. If all maps eventually have a set of achievements then it might not easy to get the map I’m currently working on since it would be RNG to be 1 of 4 choices when I have more than 4 maps in rotation.

You call it grind, I call it effort and having stuff to do that cannot be completed in one weekend.
Considering there is an achievement for 10k total wins, 250 wins per map seems totally reasonable to me.
250*40 = 10k, so there could even be 40 maps worth of achievements and you barely reach 10k wins.

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

in PvP

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Thanks, PvP team. This is great news. I have the Capricorn ones and am 7 wins away from finishing off the Coliseum ones, but time has been limited for me the past few months, so this works out.

in PvP

Tiefsee.3647

Awesome news.

some ideas for those;

Niflhel;

Temple;

Sounds like some of your suggestions would created unintended player behaviours…

true – to prevent that, allow the hard core achiefments only in ranked and replace the 2 afk with just one afk.

because nobody in ranked would let the other team win because of achiefments, and they are hardcore achiefments after all – those you can use for bragging!

in PvP

Malediktus.3740

Winning without close sounds problematic, too. People would yell each other to not cap close point for example. Or the other one to let people get 200pt advantage before starting to do something.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Thanks PvP team and Gaile. I actually found the Coliseum achievements quite fun to obtain. More rewards for PvP are welcome.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

The time-limited achievements are quite easily obtainable in a few days, even without excessive grinding. This is just pandering to the PvE community again because they missed their chance. If you want to make them permanent, they won’t really feel like an actual achievement anymore nor exclusive to the PvP, and you should make it harder to obtain and add some motivation.

in PvP

Archon.6480

The time-limited achievements are quite easily obtainable in a few days, even without excessive grinding. This is just pandering to the PvE community again because they missed their chance. If you want to make them permanent, they won’t really feel like an actual achievement anymore nor exclusive to the PvP, and you should make it harder to obtain and add some motivation.

PvP players can’t have anything fun to do because… What? PvE?

I really don’t care if PvE players are interested in PvP achievements or not. I like stuff to do in PvP.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in PvP

Posted by: alf.9305

alf.9305

Can you left out the titles of the new maps and only bring back de AP, so those who got them on time have a reward too

in PvP

Posted by: Piieuw.5834

Piieuw.5834

Laaaaaaaaaame. You’re telling me I spend time grinding these maps, skipping on things to do with friends, or skipping on going out on some days, just for nothing. You dissapoint me, Anet.

in PvP

Archon.6480

Laaaaaaaaaame. You’re telling me I spend time grinding these maps, skipping on things to do with friends, or skipping on going out on some days, just for nothing. You dissapoint me, Anet.

The best part of GW2 is that you don’t have to grind like a mindless Zombie to play PvP.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in PvP

Posted by: Praxis.4976

Praxis.4976

This is a huge shame to me. The transiency of these achievements and titles is what made them worth playing for me. They were my motivation to get back into PvP for a little while, have some fun with friends away from the salt of ranked. If they’re always going to be around, there’s nothing special about them, no motivation to play PvP, and the sense of achievement is gone. Funny how achievements these days don’t feel like you’ve actually achieved anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

This is a great change thankyou, moving in the right direction.

in PvP

Posted by: Zanjii.8214

Zanjii.8214

Good News i love that i okay when i want and get archievements

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Can you perhaps add achievements for gaining certain achievements?

Specifically thinking “Master of the Mists” for obtaining all Champion Titles, something along those lines.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Stormy Dragon.9210

Stormy Dragon.9210

Sounds great! Do you have already all ideas you need or should we give inspiration for possible achiefments on each map?

Also pleas make an achiefment “won even when there where 300 points difference at any time of the game” in each map! As motivation! – and once a player get those ‘turn around’ achiefments in each map, the player get’s a title ‘never gonna give you up’

This would be a terrible idea, as it would encourage people to tank the first part of the match in hopes of getting the achievement.

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It was only logical.

Regardless of what a few may say, there wasn’t really any merit on them being temporary. They last for so long that they weren’t hard to obtain within the time given, so it was possible to get them just by sheer luck and getting carried 25 matches.

You can even get points for several of the achievements once a match ends!

But as permanent achievements, that’ll bring more interest to all maps.

But now that they are not temporary, 25 wins may be too short. Maybe the scaling should be based on 100 matches rather than 25. Well, there will be more maps to do. So… what about 50?

To keep things fair so everyone gets the same starting point, like it was done with other changed achievements, the temporary achievements could be moved to the Historical category, and new sets with 50 win requirements would be added for each map. That way there’s more to do, and those who feel that having these temporary achievements is anything special can keep their delusion and won’t bother anyone about it.

And everyone happy! (within you know what limits reality has left us… sigh…)

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Omg this made me so happy! I so wanted the title for capricorn, but did not make it in time and was really sad and unhappy about it. This made my day

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

Its amazing, players want to get all the titles with no stress and no risk.
I think anet in the future will start to give titles just for us to log in.
There is no prestige at all anymore in anything in gw2 imo.
I got the legendary wings since season 2 , and u know what , i not even use them, because there is 0 prestige and everybody feels he should get it with no efford, there was 4 season to get it and some didnt , so they start to “cry” because was too hard or blame the macth making"
I feel in gw2 there is 0 prestige in the titles and everything is so easy to get , that its not interesting anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The Capricorn Achievement will be removed at the end of season 4. Coliseum Achievements will be removed at the end of season 5.

Should have learned from Living World Season 1 and temporary achievements. Especially given the fact that even if these maps are in rotation by chance or because they’re pinned, there’s not a guarantee you will play that map on every match.

I’ve seen a few suggestions to add more achievements to PvP, and these map specific ones are a great idea, why remove them? Why not add more for the other maps with their own titles?

I knew you’d do the right thing. Maybe people who are complaining about their AP stalemate will be satiated. It’s about time PvP got more earnable achievements.

I’d also like to suggest a Map Frequenter repeatable achievement, kind of like the Dungeon Frequenter.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This is bad news and good news.

Good news that there won’t be temporary achievements anymore, but bad news because now there will be more competition on map voting. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one waiting for the Coliseum beta to finally be over so we can play another map for a change. Is it possible to get a separate queue for “maps with achievements”?

in PvP

Posted by: Phobia.9651

Phobia.9651

When it comes to achievements, please do not make arbitrary achievements involving secondary objectives just so you can have a meta achievement.
The goal in pvp should always be winning the match, so please don’t encourage ppl to do things that are not centered around that. I would even be fine to only have X amount of wins per map achievement and no others.

in PvP

Posted by: traeler.5274

traeler.5274

I think it would be fair if the Salty Sea Dog and Eternal Gladiator titles stay exclusive as advertised. Alternative meta achievements that grant different titles* or no title is fine with me. This is coming as someone who was lacking a few wins (2 or 3) needed to complete ‘Surf and Turf’ it when it was removed.

*(perhaps “Loose Cannon” or “Ship Shape” for RotC, “Relic Retriever” or “Divine Vessel” for EC)

Temporary achievements are fine. However, specifically in regards to temporary PvP map-based achievements, there should have been something done to provide further incentives for continued playtime in the featured map (days where Unranked Conquest only runs the featured map, or an infinitely repeatable achievement that encourages continued play). This increases exposure to the map and facilitates progress on the temporarily-available achievements.

Some people will get sick of the same map, though, and that’s why so many people were requesting a separate queue or some kind of map whitelist/blacklist for Unranked Arena only. The lack of incentives for continued play and absence of any features to facilitate progress made the temporary achievements feel coercive.

I started late, so I was getting something close to Capricorn every 1 in 8 matches, despite it getting 5+ votes each time. That’s close to two hours of playtime invested just for a chance to make achievement progress. Then Coliseum was added, and I gave up shortly after. I know Capricorn was eventually pinned alongside it, but I wasn’t enjoying myself, so I stopped. I refused to voluntarily engage in an increasingly unenjoyable experience for a title and AP which I would have gotten effortlessly if I had just made the time to pursue it when it was immediately released.

So, on the one hand, I am very glad this implementation of temporary achievements is being scrapped. However, on the other hand, if you say something is temporarily available it should stay that way. Some people made time to complete it, others didn’t or couldn’t. You shouldn’t disrespect that. I was close, but I didn’t earn it. That’s life, though, and that’s fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Anet you guys seriously give the reddit/forum whiners way too much power over you.

in PvP

Posted by: nihavel.6592

nihavel.6592

I hope an halfway solution.
When the map is in beta, prestige title and a “easy to get” AP, like now.
When the map is out of beta, a little more grinding AP with more tasks (Have xx win with revenant and other class for example).

(edited by nihavel.6592)

in PvP

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

This is so stupid… after many of us was grinding to get the achi in time you make it permament??? Really sad and terrible…

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

those achievements and titles will lose all their value if you do that and after some time passes by mindless pve grinders will care about them as much as they care about “PvP conqueror” achievement tab

the only reason everyone liked those achievements was because they were limited edition

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

pvp and achievements a difficult thing. There’s is nothing wrong with attracting pve players to pvp, some will stay other’s not, but this game mode needs some promotion so i’m a supporter. Some say titles of those maps have value ? Mmm, a die hard pvp player will have those in no time, so he/she doesn’t care. But for the best among pvp players (and i don’t include myself) it should be nice those achievements have a almost impossible part (which could be an extra title or a cool animation), like you do in other’s for achievements. ( ex. 8 out of 10 to get the achievement, of 9 of 10 to get the bonus, 10 of 10 to get the impossible). And preferable those extra should promote team play, map awareness , game fairness and not grind fest in a ideal game. But yeah that’s a wish list for all games
Anyway thx for these interaction on forum these last months from the pvp team, keep up.

(edited by RedZebra.2345)

in PvP

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Great change. These are basically time-based achieves, i.e. did you sink enough time into the maps to get the wins with matchmaking aiming for approx. 50-50 W/L.

The idea that there is some lost “value” or “prestige” is pretty laughable. You still need to actually play and win on the maps the exact same number of times. Good job ANet in making it so those people with jobs or families can still make progress without having to nolife grind over a limited number of days.

in PvP

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

This is fantastic. For someone who didn’t have the time to do the temp achievements because the pvp season was going on (and now burnt out from pvp due to the seasons), I now have some new long term goals to work on.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Anet you guys seriously give the reddit/forum whiners way too much power over you.

Really? Because the only people I see whining right now are the ones who didn’t get their way. The game in general needs more permanent achievements, and ANet is finally starting to listen to that argument. Just because they started with PvP achievements is because they were already implemented, its the easiest ones to bring into the game since they don’t have to code any new ones

in PvP

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

So let me get this straight from some answers here:
Ls1 was bad because it was temporary.
Achievements of capricorn and colloseum were great because they were temporary.
Daily AP are bad because they require less effort than some permanent AP.
PvP AP are also bad because they get permanent now.
Feeling like a special snowflake felt great, but it is bad for everyone except me.

Just great, really. You guys should maybe be looking for jobs as writers for soap operas or something.^^

in PvP

RedZebra.2345

lol Torolan, read between the lines, skip the ever complaining and you will be happy.

in PvP

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Thank you!

The achievements themselves weren’t a problem. The temporary nature of them simply resulted in toxic behavior when people felt their time was being wasted because they didn’t get the map they wanted. Additionally, some of the achievements encouraged bad play (e.g. going for the buffs instead of holding the capture points could result in a loss). Hopefully this will improve now that they are permanent.

in PvP

Posted by: Sparky.8724

Sparky.8724

at least discontinue the titles if you're making the achievements permanent

in PvP

RedZebra.2345

don’t get this sparky why you should ever run around with that title.
1. i was first and you not so i have this title. So?
2. i grind this faster then you. So ?
3. it’s the only way i can show i’m good in pvp. Lol this one.

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Mildly pleased with this news. I finished Coliseum on my main account, but I didnt get a chance to do Capricorn. I hadn’t realized it was temporary (my bad) and well….life happened. So I’m glad I’ll have a chance to.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

RedZebra.2345

gaile any indication when next season will start ?

in PvP

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

Cool, a reason other than dailies for me to keep playing unranked.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If it kills the the same map spam that we seem to be in, that would be great.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|