Update on PvP Map Achievements

in PvP

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

If you are going to bring back temporary pvp titles can you bring back the pve ones too.

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

Anet you guys seriously give the reddit/forum whiners way too much power over you.

QFT

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Its amazing, players want to get all the titles with no stress and no risk.
I think anet in the future will start to give titles just for us to log in.
There is no prestige at all anymore in anything in gw2 imo.
I got the legendary wings since season 2 , and u know what , i not even use them, because there is 0 prestige and everybody feels he should get it with no efford, there was 4 season to get it and some didnt , so they start to “cry” because was too hard or blame the macth making"
I feel in gw2 there is 0 prestige in the titles and everything is so easy to get , that its not interesting anymore.

It is rare that I agree with Prince Vingador (I have him on my blocklist ingame), but he is telling the truth here

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

in PvP

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Its amazing, players want to get all the titles with no stress and no risk.
I think anet in the future will start to give titles just for us to log in.
There is no prestige at all anymore in anything in gw2 imo.
I got the legendary wings since season 2 , and u know what , i not even use them, because there is 0 prestige and everybody feels he should get it with no efford, there was 4 season to get it and some didnt , so they start to “cry” because was too hard or blame the macth making"
I feel in gw2 there is 0 prestige in the titles and everything is so easy to get , that its not interesting anymore.

There is a huge difference between “no effort” and “time restriction”.

Sometimes, people don’t have the time to play for a month. Sometimes they need to take a break – either from the game itself, or the community. Sometimes real life stuff gets in the way.

This was the major, continuous problem with LW Season 1. Eventually folks got burned out trying to complete the timelimited achievements that they either could not enjoy the game, or had to avoid it for a time. Very few people liked it.

This isn’t asking for easy mode or for things to just be given to players. It’s asking for stuff to not be on a time restriction basis.

The Season legendary titles make sense to be time restrictive, since that’s the format of the seasons. But for these “map achievements” – either they could be so minuscule in reward to not matter to folks, should not exist in the first place, or they should not be time restricted.

Make the achievements as hard as you want, that’s not the issue here.

I would say there needs something for the more ‘hardcore PvPers’ to go towards, I don’t see much of all for that stuff, but it shouldn’t be in the form of time restriction stuff.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in PvP

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I think it’s a great thing, but there are two outstanding issues:

• The balance in spvp right now is really bad, to the point I can’t be bothered paying it. The genuine lack of balance makes spvp no fun for me to play, so I don’t
  • spvp already has twice as many achievement points possible in wvw, which always seemed weird to me

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There is a huge difference between “no effort” and “time restriction”.

Sometimes, people don’t have the time to play for a month. Sometimes they need to take a break – either from the game itself, or the community. Sometimes real life stuff gets in the way.

Let’s face it, the Coliseum and Capricorn map achievements are grind achievements. Being more skilled will decrease the grind, but at the bottom line, you’d have to be pretty shockingly bad to never get it (sooner or later even the worst player will have matches where their more skilled teammates can carry them, so if a player given infinite time doesn’t eventually get it, it must be because they have a pathological aversion to decapping points or something). For most players it’s the 25 wins that takes the longest to reach, so the achievement is pretty just a marker that the player had the time and the luck of the wheel to play 25/(map winrate) matches on that map.

Adding a time limit in which to complete the achievement just makes it a marker of who had the time and the luck of the wheel to play that number of matches on that map before the time limit expired. Somebody who has the time and endurance to play eight hours a day would probably get in over 30 matches per day: assuming that the map gets picked roughly two out of three times (which feels about right from my experience when people were chasing Capricorn and Coliseum, except for the period where the two maps were competing), such a player would have it done in less than a week with even a 25% winrate. Conversely, consider if the achievements for a map were available for around three months, but a player was unable to play for half that time and was busy enough that they could only play an average of one game a day in the remaining 45 days. Assuming the chance of getting the map was for the same as the first player (unlikely, since the odds of the map being picked decrease the more time it’s been out and the people who already have the achievement start to either get sick of it and want to move on, or actively start trolling those who don’t have it yet), that would mean a total of 30 games on the target map: such a player could fall short even if their winrate was around 75%. Do they really deserve to miss out while the player who can afford to treat it like a full-time job gets it just because they have time to burn?

As I understand it, the point of the time-limited achievements was to encourage people to actually play the beta maps rather than just sticking to the safe and comfortable maps of Legacy and Forest. Problem is, it’s an incentive where most of the reward is back-loaded: if you fall short by one or two wins in the end, well, you’ve got a handful of achievement points but otherwise you’ve wasted your time, if you come in late you might well decide not to even try, and once you’ve completed the achievement the incentive is gone altogether. A better incentive might just be to increase the rewards (rank points, reward track progression, silver reward) for playing a map while that map is in beta. Heck, you could make the reward incentive linked to just voting for a beta map, as long as you play out the full game, so you don’t get the toxicity that can happen when someone votes for the non-desired map and wins.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

I didn’t think it would get as bad a reaction as this. I suppose the people who already got it thinking it was temporary are a bit annoyed but making the achievements permanent is probably the fairest way. There are players who don’t do PvP but might in the future and people who haven’t bought the game yet but will.
I was wondering about the new achievements for existing maps. Sounds good, will players who have already done them be given them automatically? Say if one of Foefire’s achievements in, “Defeat the Lord X times” Some might have already killed the lord the required number of times.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Making these achievements permanent is is really lame. They should be a reward for beta testing your maps.
Also the requirements for these achievements (25 wins being the hardest part) is really low for a permanent achievement. If it is permanent all requirements should be at least 10 times higher.

Lets be quite frank here.

Whats ‘lame’ is that there are achievement goals in PvP for achievement hunters at all.

Its actually 1/3 of the current problems in PvP. Non-PvP-dedicated players hunting for achievements in a gamemode they neither like nor can play well.

Making those achievements only temporarily available amplifies that problem even more. So the decision to make them permanent helps some.

Thank you Gaile Gray, its good news.

P.S.: I have the achievements done, and Im not salty at all for them being re-introduced. Theres other PvP titles that you have to work really hard for and bring way more prestige than being online during 2 months time enough to get 25 wins on a map that gets chosen 9/10 times anyway during that time.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This is a good change, and I say that as someone who has already completed both limited duration achievement sets before this was announced.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

Posted this suggestion two months ago with zero responses. So just assumed there was no interest. Glad to see it’s happening. I’m all for it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/PVP-Achievement-Suggestion/first#post6303446

in PvP

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

Thank you for the change. Really appreciate it.

I wouldn’t mind making the achievements harder to complete now that they are permanent so long as it helps to shut the whiners up about the whole “prestige” non-issue.

Would have been better if there were dedicated queues for maps with temporary achievements so that those who think completing a temporary achievement is somehow more prestigious than a permanent one would have no excuse to complain, while I wouldn’t be aggravated by the constant RNG of being thrown into other maps while Coliseum gets 6 votes every time. But this is an acceptable workaround. Thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I already have all the achievements, but I wanted to chime in and say that this is a GREAT change! I really, REALLY hate time-gated achievements; it creates a lot of unnecessary stress and it also tends to foster strife and toxic behaviour between players; one group just wants to work on their achievements and gets fed up when they get another map (essentially meaning that the next 10-15 mins of their time is a total waste) and the other group is sick and tired of playing the same map over and over, or of players that are obviously tailoring their PvP behaviour to maximise their chances of getting achievements (best example: players who just sit on a point to defend it and NEVER leave it), at the price of screwing over their team because they’re not playing at their best.

So thank you for this decision, Gaile, and I hope that any future PvP achievements will be here to stay permanently.

in PvP

Posted by: volpenvieh.3201

volpenvieh.3201

We want to reward players for playing the map while it is in Beta and give a cool title to represent that you were there during its beta phase.

What happened to that, eh?