Vee Wee's Basic PvP Tips for Newcomers!

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80! I am posting from my frand’s account!

Are you a PvE, WvW, or just a new player wanting to try out PvP? Well you are probably bad! But it’s ok because everybody was bad when they first started playing PvP! People will let you know you’re bad! Ignore those people! Those guys are silly anyway and probably not much better themselves! That’s probably the most important rule for anyone coming into PvP! Have thick skin! People are unfrandly on the internet!

Okay frands! First thing’s first! If you are new to PvP, first check out this thread made by Grouch! https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/New-to-PvP-Start-here/

What that thread doesn’t tell you though are some tips on how to play when you get into a game! These are some basic tips that apply to all classes! For class specific information, check out the builds in Grouch’s thread or visit your class appropriate forum! Wahoo! Here we go!

—TIPS START HERE—

Don’t double dodge, meaning don’t dodge then immediately dodge again! Dodging is a huge part of how you stay alive in this game! If you blow both your dodges, you’ll be extremely weak to the incoming burst that will most definitely come! Obviously there are exceptions to this rule that are situational but generally you don’t want to double dodge! What many good PvPers do is to include the Vigor boon and/or Sigil of Energy into their builds! Having more dodges greatly improves your chance of survival!

You only need one person to cap a point! Having more than one person cap a point doesn’t make it cap any faster! If you stay to cap a point while someone else is already capping it, you are effectively giving the opposing team a numbers advantage in a team fight that is happening elsewhere on the map! By the time you cap the point and run to that fight, it could be already lost!

Your score does not matter! As long as you have 5 points, you will gain rank, and you will gain the same amount of rank as someone who has 500 points! It’s extremely, very, super dee duper rare to end a game with 0 points! Don’t sabotage your team just to gain points! Just because a person has the highest score doesn’t mean he’s the best! If someone has the lowest score it doesn’t mean he’s bad! Often the low scoring people contribute most to the team because they are constantly roaming!

Be aware of the opposing team’s whereabouts! If, for example, all 5 players on the opposing team are at mid, then their home point is empty! Someone, generally a high mobility class like Thief, should go neut or even cap that point! If you don’t, then they are just getting free points! If there is a teamfight happening elsewhere though, don’t full cap it! Neut the point and head back to the team fight! If you spend time to full cap the point, your team could very well lose a teamfight elsewhere on the map and your team will lose that point! Then as your team is respawning they’ll just go easily reclaim the point you just took and you probably won’t be able to stop them! You’ll lose more than you gain! A lot more!

If you are teamfighting, always have someone on the point! Usually this role falls to the bunker as the bunker is extremely tanky and can take quite a few hits! You only need one person on the point to contest it! You cannot contest a point if you are stealth or invulnerable (Elixir S, Mist Form, Renewed Focus)! If the opposing team captures a point, it can be extremely difficult to reclaim it! If they manage to get a decap, you lose all those free points! Make sure these things don’t happen!

If an opposing team member goes down, focus that person! Cleave him down! If you have the Poison condition, use it on the downed person! Poison reduces healing by 33% which includes attempted teammate revivals! If you have any kind of cc, use it on the people trying to resuscitate the downed player! Do not let him get back up! If you have Stability, try to stomp them out! You only need one person to stomp! If multiple people stomp, that’s just less cleave being put out and the downed person has a higher chance of being revived!

There are some neat tricks you can do while stomping! Stability will usually guarantee a stomp on certain classes! If you have any instant cast Blind skills (Smoke Vent, Blinding Flash), you can use those skills as you are stomping to blind their interrupt skill! The same thing applies to Aegis! You can block their interrupt skill! It’s very important to watch for animations so you don’t waste these abilities! You can also cancel your stomp and dodge the interrupt! Every class’s downstate interrupt skill has a very obvious animation! Watch for these before you Blind, Aegis, or dodge! If you can go invisible, you can stomp while stealthed!

—CONTINUED—

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

ArrDee.2573

If your teammate is downed, revive him immediately! A death in a teamfight usually means the fight is lost! Make sure none of your allies die! If you have any cc, interrupt the stompers! Try to cure Poison on your downed ally! You’ll revive him faster! Not everyone can be saved however! If you are playing a fragile class like Thief or Ele and the opposing team is coordinating cleave, it’s best not to revive! You might join your ally in the downed state! If you are downed yourself and you have an Engineer, Mesmer, or Thief ally, try not to auto attack! Engineers, Mesmers, and Thieves can stealth you! Going into stealth while downed prevents getting stomped out and obviously auto attacking breaks stealth!

Don’t try to res by yourself! If you’re off the point sometimes people won’t kill you! Instead they will just prevent you from reviving so you slowly bleed out! This is because when you die you will get a 15 second respawn timer! If they can take you out of the game for a longer period of time, they will do it! If you’re down and that person leaves, still don’t attempt to revive! They probably still have you targeted to see if you will make that rookie mistake! You can also do this to other people! If an opposing player is down and not a threat, let them bleed out! You’ll take them out of the game for even longer than the respawn time! Watch out for Thieves and Elementalists though! They can still move while in downstate and can get onto a point and neut it while they’re down! And this tactic is ineffective against Rangers because they can revive from the downstate very quickly!

It’s OK to run! If you’re at mid, for example, and your team is about to lose the teamfight, it’s ok to run away! Go back to your home point or maybe go far for a quick neut if nobody’s guarding it! Regroup and attack again! Running away is better than dying for a 15 second respawn and 5 freebie points for the opposing team! Often times in low rated games I’ll see just people heading into mid alone against 3 people by themselves! Guild Wars 2 is a team game! Unless you are just godlike at this game, being outnumbered is very, very bad!

Watch your points! If you have a pouint, it’s generally a good idea to keep that point! This doesn’t mean idle on a point for the entire game! You’re not helping anyone there! For example, if you’re defending home, head to mid if they need help! But always keep an eye on home! On maps like Foefire or Khylo, you don’t have to go all the way to mid to help! You can just fight on the outskirts while at the same time keep a clear visual of your home point! If you don’t know where the other team’s backcapper is (usually a thief) chances are he’s going for your home point! This goes back to my previous tip of keep track of your enemy’s whereabouts!

Play different classes! Knowledge is power frands! You can create a new character and immediately start PvPing on a somewhat equal level as everyone else! If you don’t know what other classes do, then how can you expect to beat them! If you want to get better quick, play other classes!

Well that’s it for now my frands! I am sure some people will post their own helpful hints that I forgot! I am thuper happy the PvP community is growing! All the matchmaking issues that people have stems from the PvP community being so tiny! As these newcomers get better, maybe PvP will prosper with the extra population! #optimism

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

My tip of the day is: do not use mass invisibility skill on the point you are trying to defend (already have it captured).

in PvP

Posted by: Fanta.8049

Fanta.8049

My tip of the day is: do not use mass invisibility skill on the point you are trying to defend (already have it captured).

Do not steath when you def.

in PvP

Posted by: Mijo.3274

Mijo.3274

Wahoo! Hello frands!
Every tip you wrote is good and everybody should do this things!

Champion magus, 4 builds i use
R.I.P. my beloved Meh-Mer, the most hated class by ANET itself.
Winner of the first HxH 1v1 tournament! WOOT!

in PvP

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Don’t get drawn into meaningless fights somewhere on the map – try to only fight on points.

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Map and team awareness: When you see there is a teamfight on mid and they are struggling, do not decide to go far if they got a bunker there… Chances are that even if you kill them, you will get the worst from the enemy team who have likely won the mid-fight since your team lacked a player…
This being said, see that you lost a midfight as you respawn? Check up on home, ask the one who stands there if there are incomming people, or if no one is there, check yourself… There is nothing more annoying than a point getting overcapped constantly…

Save your interrupts: Or at least one of them… As said, reviving a teammate can win you the game, however if there are multiple people trying to stomp… Well you catch my drift…
Check if they got stability, if so then see if a class such as a mesmer or a necro is around to corrupt it – then interrupt the stomp with whatever skill you have… They got no stability? Then enjoy…
Of course Elixer S and Mistform are things that cannot be countered as of yet…

Watch the ledges: Those ledges in almost every map on the TPvP maps can be a good place for a Staff ele, Necromancer or Mesmer… Have your burst-roamer be prepared for those on these maps, because these classes when untouched can cost you your head…

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 engi NA and world first rank 80! I am posting from my frand’s account!

Great tips my frands! Thanks for your input!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

This happened to me yesterday. I was the only surviving team member on mid capped in their favor 1v3. I couldn’t run so I decided to draw it out for as long as possible and almost had their mesmer down. To my delight, he used MI and I was able to decap the point.

I died soon after naturally but I lol’d hard :p

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I totally expected this to be a troll post, but there’s good advice here. Nice. =)

P.s. for good tips on how to land stomps or prevent stomps, check out Killchained’s video guides: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAhX2Vt8fhBZclmnw3k8GvNBZx-zWW8cH

in PvP

Posted by: Uhtameit.2413

Uhtameit.2413

Bump. We need this to be visible.

in PvP

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

good thread, but you rly think newcomers read forums?

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

good thread, but you rly think newcomers read forums?

Some of them do, and it is better to reach a minority than reaching no one at all…

PvP is kind of confusing now with all the new people joining, so the quicker we can spread info and tutor people, the better…

Also, if this series is ever gonna continue:

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

Here’s a tip for new players: if you are losing, it is not your fault and this is the time to rage on your teammates. I recommend insults aimed at how much of a PvE hero someone is and instructing people to go back to the hotjoins.

Also, at the beginning of the match, let everyone know how boss you are and that if they don’t carry, you will afk.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

One tip that I see a majority of people leave out is watching both minimap and your teammates health bars for knowing if they need help or not; for example: You see someone capping a point but don’t know if he needs help? Look at his hp bar! Another quick one is seeing your teammates hp bars all slowly falling into downstate at the same time on a point (usually mid)= time to go to another point to decap (usually far) so that when your teammates res you can rally together back to a point and win the fight.

in PvP

OneManArmy.9732

Here’s a tip for new players: if you are losing, it is not your fault and this is the time to rage on your teammates. I recommend insults aimed at how much of a PvE hero someone is and instructing people to go back to the hotjoins.

Also, at the beginning of the match, let everyone know how boss you are and that if they don’t carry, you will afk.

reminds me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0Ak91bnlI

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

kitten , nailed it

in PvP

Posted by: Rhilowood.3426

Rhilowood.3426

Here’s a good top for new PvP players:

Please, for the love of god: If you are going far, and encounter an enemy there that you cannot 1v1 well against, STOP WASTING YOUR TIME.

Go help the teamfight, go guard home. Do something else. Your random mesmer class just isn’t gonna down that bunker necro or guardian or whatever else they have on the point. Stop smashing your head against a brick wall.

Going far is a bad idea 90% of the time anyway, since what happens 9 times out of 10 is that you’ll wind up 1v1’ing against whatever defender is there until a respawning enemy comes and helps them kill you. With you dead, they know there is nothing stopping them from leaving their home and going to crush mid together. So you went far, got nothing done, got killed, and added 2 fresh enemies to whatever fight is going on at mid/your home.

Capping far is for exceptionally good players. You aren’t one of them.

in PvP

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

You forgot the most important thing : be sure to use a correct build. I still see 5 signet riffle warriors in solo Q.

in PvP

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

Another tip:

TEST your build in a low pop hotjoin map to see if it WORKS/ is MANAGEABLE. Just jumping in blind with a build that you don’t understand will hamper you and your team.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 engi NA and world first rank 80!

Thanks for contributing all these helpful hints! Let’s make PvP a better place my frands!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I will write more tips later, but this one comes to mind first:

Forest of Niflhel – Svanir/Chieftan
The timing to do these is actually pretty delicate, as is the proper build. Many teams choose to knock them out quickly at the start in soloQ, but this is dangerous unless you are sure you can burst it down before a thief comes to steal it. It is generally better to wait until after a major team-fight where you clean-wiped the other team (or other time that you know where the enemy team is and there is significant map pressure for them to stay there) for an opportunity to pick these up.

Also, you shouldn’t be doing these if you aren’t the right build. The longer you take to down this, the more likely it is someone will steal. This means that tanky/bunker/and sustained damage builds are not the kind that should be doing this. Heavy condi-burst can sometimes melt it, but best is a strong burst combination.

When you do go for these, you generally want to do your own boss as opposed to the one closest to your opponent’s base. The one closest to your home is less likely to be stolen by someone coming off respawn, and unless the enemy team is teamfighting on your home node, should stay oblivious to the attempt. Going for an enemy boss should only be done if you are down and desperate for points, or you just wiped everyone on their home, in which case you are probably up by a million anyway.

Finally, when you are fighting these guys, don’t take your time and kite them all over the map. The ideal is to fight them right in-place, as their movement can be seen on the map. If you pull the boss far away from his starting position as you slowly kite it around, the other team will see it and might get there in time to steal.

in PvP

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Here’s another one, that might not be obvious to new players (yes, I just ran into this):

On Spirit Watch, don’t all get caught up in fighting over the orb, when you have no points capped.

in PvP

OneManArmy.9732

found good videos about downed state
https://www.youtube.com/user/Killchained/videos

check GW2 – Stomping //classname//

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Ok I have to comment on this. This guy “Vee Wee” posts all the time, and constantly says “Hi guys! Vee Wee here. #1 NA Engi and world first rank 80!”

It annoys the crap out of me.

A) You aren’t NA #1 engi, that spot is almost always held by Five Gauge as he is at the top of the leaderboards constantly.

B) You weren’t the world’s first rank 80. You claimed to be rank 80 back when the devs said that there were no rank 80s. And the first rank 80s happened as a group with this reclassification of ranks patch.

So please for the love of Dwyana stop putting that at the top of everything you post….

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Don’t derail this thread by attacking me please! This thread is a positive energy area where we help out the newcomers that have decided to try out PvP!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Ok I have to comment on this. This guy “Vee Wee” posts all the time, and constantly says “Hi guys! Vee Wee here. #1 NA Engi and world first rank 80!”

A) You aren’t NA #1 engi, that spot is almost always held by Five Gauge as he is at the top of the leaderboards constantly.

B) You weren’t the world’s first rank 80. You claimed to be rank 80 back when the devs said that there were no rank 80s. And the first rank 80s happened as a group with this reclassification of ranks patch.

So please for the love of Dwyana stop putting that at the top of everything you post….

Lol who cares? If you’re actively and positively trying to make PvP better and more enjoyable for everyone, then you can call yourself whatever the hell you want >.<

in PvP

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Lol who cares? If you’re actively and positively trying to make PvP better and more enjoyable for everyone, then you can call yourself whatever the hell you want >.<

Actually! The only thing! that annoys me! is the constant! spam of! exclamation marks!

But on a serious note good tips overall, thank you for this.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

(edited by ghost.3208)

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

No don’t get me wrong, the thread is good, and it’s good that there are tips out there for new people. (although I think the problem still exists that new people don’t even know that the forums exist and thus will probably not see this that often).

I was just adding my two cents since I peruse the forums quite frequently and see him put that all the time. Put it in your signature if you really want to claim those things, don’t spam it at the beginning of every message you post.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: Syde.5961

Syde.5961

+1 and Bump!

Og Salmonder [oT] – Warrior
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 engi NA and world first rank 80! I am posting from my frand’s account!

Great tips my frands! Thanks for your input!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Oh look, it’s Happy Hippo the Bumped! Yahoo~

As a rank 12 gladiator from GW (which is more a pvp rank yours will ever be) – and because a max pvp rank = I am right and you are wrong – I can state from my very own personal experience that the best tip for newcomers to GW2 pvp went, goes, and always will go along the lines of ‘do NOT pvp’, for the risk of having their game experience spoiled (the same can also be said for the pve though).

P.S. You forgot to add "Vee Wee #1 engi NA and world first bumped-up rank 80! Skybummer-clean! " to your signature (including your bud’s).

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Akeif.7491

Akeif.7491

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

First Basic tip for every newcomer should be to learn when to disengage the enemy and the next basic tip will be how to disengage when that time comes.

I bet that you have seen two bunkers duking it out on a point for the whole match at least once in your PvP life.

That said, 3rd basic tip will be to use RLSG skill effectively without a failure. This is extremely important in WvW, but, in sPvP matches it helps also.

RLSG is Run Like a Screaming Girl. A bit sexist, but, you get my drift, hopefully. When you run, you run, don’t stop and try to sneak in a blow. Just Run. Run Forrest, Run.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”