Veteran pvper's problems in GW2

in PvP

Posted by: UndergroundKing.4160

UndergroundKing.4160

TLDR at bottom

Veteran? What is this blasphemy?
By veteran, I mean I’ve played quite a few games for quite a few years. I’ve gained quite a bit of experience and I know a bit more about MMO pvp than you think.

Also, in every game, I play a “warrior” style character. This entire argument is from a warrior player’s prospective.

Okay, anyways. Let me get started, diving right in.

Responsiveness.

This is a huuuuuge problem for me. Playing other games, you activate a skill and it instantly happens. There are numerous skills in those games and there is never any down time (there is always some button to be pressing, keeping you on your toes.)

Now in GW2, you press a skill, you wait for the animation to begin, you hope that the latency is in your favor, and you wait for said animation to finish before moving on (which should already be planned because you have all this time.) That is, unless you have a skill which requires you to sit there, for example, Hundred Blades. I stopped using a Greatsword unless I want to just curb stomp noobs. I stopped only because the time from start to finish of the skill is too high. It’s so high that the worst reaction time known to mankind can press v and still escape it’s wrath.

Variety, or lack there of.

I’ve played around with a few classes here and there and noticed something…
They are all the same. Now before everyone starts “oh they’re not the same they got all these different effects and art and blahblahblah,” please let me state: shut up.
When I first got Frenzy as a warrior I thought I was all BA ‘n what-not. But then I played a thief and engineer and realized I’m just a mass-produced variation.

There isn’t any real uniqueness. I doubted that statement when I saw the thief’s ultimate that spins the thief around, throwing daggers. But, that’s just the same as a warrior’s off-hand axe spinning in fire. Warrior rifle shoots fast? Thief pistol, same thing.

No game-changing skills

I remember in WoW when I was a warrior, popping my CDs and throwing everything I could at an enemy, refusing to die because I’ve been pvping for so long. (erhmahgerd, another WoW noobs. Shush, just read.) In GW2, I use my “cooldowns”, gain an effect for, oh I don’t know, 20 seconds tops, and carry on. But there’s a problem… Only ONE warrior elite is for me.

TLDR
-Skills take forever to animate and cast, much down time.
-Little amount of skills, too much down time.
-No elites, no self-fulfilling satisfaction.
-We has variety! Lolz, jk.

“It doesn’t get easier, you just get better.”

in PvP

Posted by: Tommyvern.1943

Tommyvern.1943

Agreed, this game is missing variety and too many critical game functions to be a successful MMO or e-sport.

in PvP

Posted by: Codex.8513

Codex.8513

I feel exactly the same.

The point that ANet has to realize is that if they want to make a good e-sports game then they have to give the PRO players some room to show their skill, in other words you cannot make a game aimed for “super casual” people and expect it to become an e-sports. It has to be easy to learn but hard(very very hard) to master. Right now I don’t see it that way.

As for now plenty of mechanics/bugs/lack of options and more ruins it. I hope they will change it in time.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

I played WoW from 25/07/05 , and for some reason atm , i am ashemed to be a <<vet>> , if this give me the right to call other <<noobs>>…

in PvP

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Yup, been pro gaming since the 80’s and don’t see this game being viable as competitive PvP on any level as it stands now. The mechanics for sPvP are just broken if intended or un-intended, no diminishing returns on CC’s, some classes are just OP(So many Mesmers lol), or some classes are un-powered(However you want to see it.), Downed state is terrible imo for sPvP, the glory system is just a horrible design(Awards to much glory for losing.)

I was pretty disappointed with the WvWvW blog statement, which makes me worry about the sPvP blog statement. Overall… I don’t see Anet talking about the real issues about PvP and it’s kind of disheartening to hear.

On the positive note I see a lot of potential for PvP in Guild Wars 2 if the real issues can be addressed and fixed in a timely matter. I played Guild Wars when it came out and there was problems with GvG and HoH PvP. Overtime those issues were fixed, so hopefully Anet can figure out the issues with Guild Wars 2 and address them accordingly.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

(edited by Gankfest.4965)

in PvP

Posted by: smithm.1327

smithm.1327

+10000… pvp in this game isnt as great as i thought it would be.

in PvP

Posted by: Vlaid.5790

Vlaid.5790

Agree with a lot of the points. Even with two weapon sets as a warrior the gameplay feels extremely shallow and lacking in depth. While timing and positioning play a huge rule in things, the actual variety in the gameplay from one moment to the next is pretty small.

There’s a lot of potential here….but they need to do a lot to ramp up the gameplay variety between weapons, make some abilities better, and get rid of the noob stomper builds that do nothing but help create the misconception that certain profession/builds are OP because they are OP in hot join.

(edited by Vlaid.5790)

in PvP

Posted by: Visualize.4319

Visualize.4319

You want button smashing and a one skill win….. habbo hotel is a good place for you Vet.

If you cant land your hits thats a l2p issue, use cc before a long skill

in PvP

Posted by: UndergroundKing.4160

UndergroundKing.4160

You want button smashing and a one skill win….. habbo hotel is a good place for you Vet.

If you cant land your hits thats a l2p issue, use cc before a long skill

Oh so you want me to sacrifice fun and play style so I can fall in line with every other tunnel visioned pvper? I’d rather “pick my own weapons.” This wouldn’t be an issue if the classes had their own skill set rather than having what you’re using decide. Hell, if I want to Rush someone, I can do that with anything in my hands, not just a two-handed sword.

“It doesn’t get easier, you just get better.”

in PvP

Posted by: Airfury.9435

Airfury.9435

I disagree, from the perspective of a long time mmo PvPer who loves the mage role

Long CDs that are stupidly strong ruins balanced PvP as not your skill level, but whether or not that certain skill is available becomes the deciding factor. Personal knowledge of this as a mage, when those CDs are single target nukes that obliterate 80-100% health or full heals for my entire team always seemed ridiculous to me.

I don’t want to go into a fight saying “I know I will win, not because I am better, but because I have my auto-win 10min CD skill up.” or “I hope this guy doesn’t have the 5min CD 10seconds of invulnerability skill up, otherwise this could be a fun fight.”

Big CDs are fine in MOBAs where timing is everything, but in an mmo when you just want to be constantly going all out, and positioning and comboing are the primary skill factors, I don’t want autowin CDs.

Concerning your delayed skills problem, what that is from my expierence, is the natural delay from that happens in every mmo, that is between your screen, and your opponent is now showing on yours in GW2 and is more exaggerated. This is good because, it is not like other mmos, where every skill is going to it. If you have ever played top RPGs from Zelda to Elder Scrolls, you know that animations delay effects to allow for player reactions. GW2 is doing that same which I think is great, allowing for a player to react to that incoming 100 Blades and dodge out of there or use an escape skill.

About variety in champs……I can fully agree that all of the mainhand pistols/rifles/bows/longbows across the professions are pretty standard and boring and the same. However if you look at other weapons, such as Guardian Stafff, to Mesmer Staff, to Elementalist Staff, to Necromancer Staff you see the uniqueness of this game.

You go from creating physical walls only for opposing players and shooting exploding healing orbs, to casting bouncing chaos orbs that apply conditions and boons and creating shields, to calling down fire storms and erupting lava from the ground, to putting down traps that have different effects on allies and enemies when triggered.

1 Weapon, 4 Different Professions, and at least 10 different ways to play with it through traits and 7-9 skills.
Seems unique to me.

Airfury

in PvP

Posted by: Kierstone.8294

Kierstone.8294

Agreed. I’ve been gladiator of S2 S3 S4 S6 S7 S8 in WoW and I love pvp very much. Too long skill CD, too easy to waste skill CD(out of range but still throw the skill into the air), lack of teamwork, 2 must win 1(mainly cuz downstate rescure)..
I guess some of the game designers wanna make this game a Monster Hunter OL so there: deferent weapons with deferent skills, turn a somersault to dodge…. And some of them wanna a Dota(or LoL) so there: too long skill CD , 3 normal-skill and 1 great-skill. And some of them still loving WoW but hate the healing skills and rogues’ stealth there…
As a result, WoW+Monster Hunter+Dota(or LoL without soldiers and towers)=GW2PvP… hmm… Can you do this below for us?
1, remove or at least reduce the CD of most skills, shorter CD makes WoW funny and LoL boring.
2, more team-effect skills please, supporter should not only be guardians.
3, turn a somersault to rush faster in short time but cannot dodge.
4, rescue-action can be terminated when touch and must restart next time.

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

I assume all the wow pros are out on force today? If only every game could be as good as wow the most perfect game ever made! With its flawless extreamly balanced and skill based pvp.

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Posted by: drpepper.7142

drpepper.7142

lol
Wow and MMO veteran should never be in the same sentence. Never.
I agree on classes having too less variety though. Lack of variety kills most MMOs PVP.
But a lot of MMOs lack variety these days so its not really a shocker this game does too.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

I will never take someones opinions / concerns with a game and try to invalidate them; however, I will make counter points. I too am a “veteran” PvPer. I’ve pretty much only PvP’d in every game I’ve played in the last 10 years. I was 2200 plus in wow (not the greatest but very competitive) and I will say that this game has a LOT of potential. There are some balancing tweaks that need to happen (quickness, confusion, retaliation) but that is very fixable.
One thing you have to realize though is this game is better off because of the lack of those cooldown face smashers. Games like WoW are gear/CDfests. You win because of skill, sure, but you win more because of gear / CDs. A warrior in WoW can pop all his CDs and just melt the face of anyone, then for the next 5 minutes, he’s a normal PvPer. That is not fun, it’s not balanced, and it causes headaches for balance.

IMhumbleO, PvP should be about skill and builds. You should play the build you want (ranged, condition, burst) and then win because of your design choices / skill.

For instance, the HS nerf was fantastic for thieves ( I play one at rank 16 right now). Thieves had a move that was making terrible PvPers look good. They were spamming 2 and coming out victorious because of a move. That’s broken. That move was designed to be a finisher, not an opener / spammer. Now, it’s a finisher and the decent thieves go on.

Another nerf that I think will come is mesmers. My friend is a VERY casual PvPer and he competes in PvP on his mesmer. He can’t survive at all with other classes, but mesmer makes him look like a seasoned vet. That is my test of a broken class ( I call it the Chris test :P)

WoW had many examples of that. You had classes that were facerollers that even the baddie could use to stay competitive. This isn’t a sub-to-play game, so Anet doesn’t have to have these easymode classes to keep the baddies paying that monthly bill.

Anyway, I’m starting to go down the rant path and I’ll quit. I would just like to end with this: I disagree. This game isn’t completely balanced, but it has all the foundation to finish strong as a solid PvP game, and that’s all I want.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

felivear.1536

Quick everyone take a deep breath and take in all that greatness from so many seasoned wow vets!!! Hopefully one day i can aspire to your level of play!!!!

Please, by all means, tell us which game you migrated from? Was it much “classier” or “where the cool kids spent their time”? I don’t know if you have heard, but many of us quit WoW for this game. (I quit WoW a year ago for this game )

Were you dominating face in some Rift? Were you climbing the ladders in LoL? What epic PvP hole for the hipsters did you climb out of?

in PvP

Derps.7421

LOOK wow vets no one gives a flying kitten about you being good at wow or pvp in any other game. This is gw2 not wow not whatever games you have played. Your past cred means nothing here you want some respect? You have to earn it heres how.
1. Stop saying wow vet or gaming vet and admit you are a beginner to pvp in this game since we all are.
2.Proof of skill be ready to back up your e p e e n with skill
3. Thats really it

in PvP

felivear.1536

LOOK wow vets no one gives a flying kitten about you being good at wow or pvp in any other game. This is gw2 not wow not whatever games you have played. Your past cred means nothing here you want some respect? You have to earn it heres how.
1. Stop saying wow vet or gaming vet and admit you are a beginner to pvp in this game since we all are.
2.Proof of skill be ready to back up your e p e e n with skill
3. Thats really it

I would say your forum name is the perfect example of nominative determinism…

in PvP

Derps.7421

OMFG A WOW VET QUOTED ME!!! Maybe some of his amazing pvp skillz will rub off on me! Seriously no one gives a kitten about you playing wow. Wow and gw2 are different games your past credit means nothing here. If anything its showing your arrogant demeanor

in PvP

felivear.1536

OMFG A WOW VET QUOTED ME!!! Maybe some of his amazing pvp skillz will rub off on me! Seriously no one gives a kitten about you playing wow. Wow and gw2 are different games your past credit means nothing here. If anything its showing your arrogant demeanor

I agree. Past accomplishments mean absolutely nothing for future results. That’s why, all those MLGers out there were just as good as you on day one of GW2, because skill is reset when a new game comes out….am I right?

I understand that you have this irrational hatred of other MMOs that came before this game; however, your ability to communicate or take other viewpoints is pretty impressive. Anyway, I am done with replying to you because you are a sad, strange little man…you have my pity. Farewell.

Edit: I will agree with you on one point, the “This game needs to be more like WoW” posts are pretty overwhelming. I don’t like those; however, we are trying to establish some sort of bases for our prior PvP experience. How would you like us to do that? I know for a fact that playing WoW for 6 years competitively puts me at an advantage to other people in this game that have never played MMO PvP.

So, to try to separate the HS spammers zipping flailing around the node from the tactical pvpers that take time to create solid builds and execute a game plan: how do we say the difference here on the forums?

Am I to take your word that you’re good? Judging from your demeanor, I assume you are bad. You say you are good. How do I know that? Because you say so. Do you have prior experience? Have you done this before?

(edited by felivear.1536)

in PvP

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

Regarding long/strong skills: there is a reason Blizzard had to implement PvP trinkets to somewhat balance control skills. It’s not stellar design and my bet is they did not like to do this, but they had to implement reset buttons for everyone because control skills are a little bit too strong, i.e. binary in WoW.
Modern game design, on the other hand, focuses more on “soft” control skills and counters. If you look at Starcraft 1 vs Starcraft 2, that’s a good example of hard counters dominating the first game, with very strong units and many unforgiving situations where the game could be instantly lost if you had not answer B to threat A right away, etc., while units in SC2 lost overall strength (Mutalisks, Zerglings, Zealots, Sieged Tanks etc. are all weaker in SC2 compared to SC1).
Now, the control skills in GW2 are a bit too soft IMO, to the point where you barely feel their impact (many last about as long as it takes to set them up, and if you reach the point where you would notice an effect, it’s already gone). This also mitigates the fun task to figure out how best to handle CC and makes combat too much about just doing damage as quickly and efficiently as possible, because control skills don’t give enough time to win the damage back you didn’t do while using the control skill.
That’s maybe why many feel that combat in this game is too spammy and too much of the same between professions.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes yes yes i feel it I HAAAAVVVVVVEEEEEEE THHHHEEEEE POOOOOOWWWWWWEEEEERRRRRR of a wow pvp vet oh god =( someone please kill me.

in PvP

Posted by: Kso.6458

Kso.6458

DAoC means Im better than you

in PvP

felivear.1536

Regarding long/strong skills: there is a reason Blizzard had to implement PvP trinkets to somewhat balance control skills. It’s not stellar design and my bet is they did not like to do this, but they had to implement reset buttons for everyone because control skills are a little bit too strong, i.e. binary in WoW.
Modern game design, on the other hand, focuses more on “soft” control skills and counters. If you look at Starcraft 1 vs Starcraft 2, that’s a good example of hard counters dominating the first game, with very strong units and many unforgiving situations where the game could be instantly lost if you had not answer B to threat A right away, etc., while units in SC2 lost overall strength (Mutalisks, Zerglings, Zealots, Sieged Tanks etc. are all weaker in SC2 compared to SC1).
Now, the control skills in GW2 are a bit too soft IMO, to the point where you barely feel their impact (many last about as long as it takes to set them up, and if you reach the point where you would notice an effect, it’s already gone). This also mitigates the fun task to figure out how best to handle CC and makes combat too much about just doing damage as quickly and efficiently as possible, because control skills don’t give enough time to win the damage back you didn’t do while using the control skill.
That’s maybe why many feel that combat in this game is too spammy and too much of the same between professions.

Very well put together response. I do feel you are on to something with the “too soft” idea. I feel it is definitely a balancing act. You have to find that spot where CC is applicable but not overpowered. I think we’ll get there, this game is still an infant. It’s not like SWTOR where the game was fundamentally flawed from the start (engine flaws, design flaws, etc). This game is just a few tweaks away from being a really stellar PvP experience.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I’ll start this post by saying I agree that there are some issues to fix with this game, but…

Truth is, it’s the veteran WoW players that are having a major problem with this game, and most of us have no problem if you go back to WoW. I left many years ago because the PvP was unbalanced, even after 8 years of time to make it so.

As a veteran WoW PvPer, god forbid Anet listens too much to you truly whiney people.

This game is already FAR more balanced than WoW was after 8 years of development of PvP less than a month after launch, and the reason why you can’t stand it is because you can no longer out-gear your opponent, the action is too fast for you, and you wonder why you suck. Deal with it, and stop poisoning these forums with pointless posts that do not offer up CONSTRUCTIVE and mature criticism. This game is not for you, move on. (I’m speaking in terms of 5v5 tournament play, I assume if you’re a serious PvPer you are not taking 8v8 seriously like the rest of us).

I think so far, after swimming through piles and piles and unbelievable PILES of garbage posts, almost everyone that is complaining is a WoW “vet”. Crippled by gear dependancy is my assumption, and I’ll leave it at that.

In WoW, you had no options. You grinded the gear, you used the “build”. You know, the only one viable in PvP, because you couldn’t create your own, the game wasn’t balanced enough to allow for it. And if you didn’t raid, god help you get the weapons you need to faceroll. Give people more freedom and balance and they complain, because they have to try, and because they can no longer faceroll.

I don’t make posts like this often, but I’ve never seen such whining. EVER. In anything, reguardless a game. And it’s just such vindication when almost all of you admit you’re comparing this to WoW, which in spite of it’s great polish, time in development and overall superiority to everything in the MMO market, has NEVER come close to balancing PvP.

Get over your need to faceroll. Stop being pretentious “WoW” pros. Just let it go, it’s over. Go back to WoW. Personally, I can’t wait.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Truth is, it’s the veteran WoW players that are having a major problem with this game, and most of us have no problem if you go back to WoW

That’s not true, I have a problem with the sPvP mechanics and I’ve competed in many other games but WoW. I still do fine and always get top player, but the mechanics are just terrible and classes are just ridiculously imbalanced.

Games I’ve competed in for the record:

MvC2, EC, PJ, SF, KI, CoD, CS, Halo, LoL, DoTa, FFXI, GW, WoW

P.S. Not complaining about it, just stating the obvious facts about sPvP.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

I agree. Past accomplishments mean absolutely nothing for future results. That’s why, all those MLGers out there were just as good as you on day one of GW2, because skill is reset when a new game comes out….am I right?

Edit: I will agree with you on one point, the “This game needs to be more like WoW” posts are pretty overwhelming. I don’t like those; however, we are trying to establish some sort of bases for our prior PvP experience. How would you like us to do that? I know for a fact that playing WoW for 6 years competitively puts me at an advantage to other people in this game that have never played MMO PvP.

In a large way, yes. skill largely does get reset with a new game. sure, pro’s have better reaction times and such, but just having reactin times does not a pro make.

One can’t determine who is a good player an who isn’t on the forums. that’s kind of the point. You can’t simply rely on "I’m better then you, you have to make a logical argument.

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

Yeah, I destroyed people in SW:TOR’s as a deception Assassin. Got healer’s called “bad” because they didnt last long enough to heal their team. But that doesnt mean I expect to destroy people in GW2.

As someone else said, the game is new. We’re all new to PvP in GW2. All of you “gaming veterans” and “PvP veterans” need to wake up and realize that. It’s not the same game, or maybe you’re just not as good without a gear crutch as you think you are.

I will agree on variety. They should add more skills that you can swap around while using specific weapons. Have your 5 basic weapon skills, and add an extra 10 that you can choose like you do your heals/utilities/elites. H

owever, like I said this game just came out. I expect them to do something like this later. I highly doubt we will be stuck with the same 5 attacks for eternity. But let them balance what we have now, instead of crying for more and making it a bigger clusterkitten.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Truth is, it’s the veteran WoW players that are having a major problem with this game, and most of us have no problem if you go back to WoW

That’s not true, I have a problem with the sPvP mechanics and I’ve competed in many other games but WoW. I still do fine and always get top player, but the mechanics are just terrible and classes are just ridiculously imbalanced.

MvC2, EC, PJ, SF, KI, CoD, CS, Halo, LoL, DoTa, FFXI, GW, WoW

Um… you LISTED WoW as a game you’ve played, just because you played others doesn’t mean you’re not a former WoW player.

Stop stating opinions as facts and I’ll take you more seriously. The “fact” is, this game makes it MUCH easier to completely screw your spec up all to hell, which means a lot of people you’ve faced so far are not going to contribute to your view of “balance” less than a month after release.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

(edited by aydenunited.5729)

in PvP

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

I feel exactly the same.

The point that ANet has to realize is that if they want to make a good e-sports game then they have to give the PRO players some room to show their skill, in other words you cannot make a game aimed for “super casual” people and expect it to become an e-sports. It has to be easy to learn but hard(very very hard) to master. Right now I don’t see it that way.

As for now plenty of mechanics/bugs/lack of options and more ruins it. I hope they will change it in time.

Have you ever heard of League of Legends?

The biggest problem with sPvP at the moment is that there is not a big enough skill gap for pros to take advantage of. It’s way to easy to walk in with a thief, take a sword and a pistol and run around 3 shotting people. Same goes with other classes (albeit the elementalist, possibly the only real class that takes skill to play due to downstate being UP)

They need to punish players more for doing stupid kitten, like spamming heart seeker, or missing half of your 100hb. There is nothing to stop this game becoming a fully fledged eSport (call of duty is considered an eSportkitten They could change the whole game simply by adding a proper ranking system (rank being averaged by wins and losses, K:D etc)

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

(edited by DangerMonkey.3158)

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

If you can’t find a use for 100 blades, I seriously doubt your skills as a “PvP veteran” …

in PvP

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

MvC2, EC, PJ, SF, KI, CoD, CS, Halo, LoL, DoTa, FFXI, GW,WoW

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

in PvP

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

pvp is real fun, go back to WoW please

in PvP

Posted by: snadge.2483

snadge.2483

No game-changing skills

I remember in WoW when I was a warrior, popping my CDs and throwing everything I could at an enemy, refusing to die because I’ve been pvping for so long. (erhmahgerd, another WoW noobs. Shush, just read.) In GW2, I use my “cooldowns”, gain an effect for, oh I don’t know, 20 seconds tops, and carry on. But there’s a problem… Only ONE warrior elite is for me.

TLDR
-Skills take forever to animate and cast, much down time.
-Little amount of skills, too much down time.
-No elites, no self-fulfilling satisfaction.
-We has variety! Lolz, jk.

WoW PvP, Veteran refusing to die, lol.

Outgear your enemies maybe….

Skills in GW2 have an animation, in WoW they have a casting bar, they still have a delay.
If you know what you are doing you have at least 20-30 skills to rotate through, although only a sadist would try for that.

Gear Imbalance, go back to WoW and crush new players in crafted blues in your t2 cata geared warrior, GW2 has balanced, skill based PvP, not gear progression that encourages ‘noob bashing’.

I also have PvP’d for a LONG time, starting in the heady days of Ultima Online and through a long cycle of games, some bad, some half decent.

My favourite PvP is Eve Online but that is a different type of PvP, not for the faint hearted.

GW2 is now my favourite competitive type PvP alongside LoL, why, because like LoL, it is balanced ( well GW2 is getting there, almost balanced and will be soon after a few more tweaks)

In other words ‘go back to WoW’

in PvP

Posted by: Fabbs.3579

Fabbs.3579

This thread does not deliver, i could pretty much guess what was going to be in it from the title.

And sure enough.. Hi guys, im a superserial pvp veteran, cause i have played wow for 7 years. In wow you had to haev so much skill, like finding a random Priest-rogue-mage or “insert random shadow cleave”. yes yes you didn’t make the post to compare it to wow but who are we kidding right? it all boils down to wow when it’s about mmorpgs.

As stated by A-net they want to make it feel more like a moba = the timing of skills is more important than the number of skills at your disposal, and to be honest i think they made it pretty darn good. I guess however after reading this derpfest of a post that neither of you like this style of play. To bad, i for one love it.
There is an easy fix for your problem tho, either try to change your expectations or go play something else.

in PvP

Vlaid.5790

I think people are missing the point being that the pvp doesn’t have enough play diversity from moment to moment and between builds, not that the GW2 PVP is so impossiblly skill sensitive that everyone is having trouble (at least I’m not really).

It’s just the actual style and implementation of abilities and number of abilities available, and the impact of abilities to change the flow of a specific encounter doesn’t feel that great.

in PvP

snadge.2483

You do realise that your WHOLE team can effect your skills by how they have built their characters and their skills can affect yours, giving a HUGE amount of diversity.

This isn’t a button mashing frenzy like WoW is, you have to synchronize with the rest of your team.

sPvP and WvW isn’t the place for that type of play though, find some mates and play tPvP and use voice comms to coordinate and practise.

in PvP

aleiro.8521

As I said, adapt or go to your old games….

in PvP

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

Every single guy/girl who argues against former WoW players just because they ever played WoW and have liked certain stuff in that game should be warned once, then banned from the official forums for a month. You spill your intolerance and hatred without any rational basis, derail conversations and kill any attempts for constructive discussions.

On topic, I agree with the OP completely.

in PvP

Posted by: uMad.5719

uMad.5719

Never played wow never was interested. If you found WOW better continue playing wow. There really is no reason for discussion. Do you go into dunkin Donuts and tell them you are unsatisfied and would rather go to starbucks?

in PvP

snadge.2483

Why do we laugh at WoW PvPerrs QQing?

Maybe due to the fact it is a steaming crock of exploitation and cheating and is designed so that bad players feel good about their prowess with huge advantages with gear.

Maybe we should ask to ban the QQerrs instead so they DO ‘Go back to WoW’

Most of replies to the OP have been constructive, it seems it is the WoW players being insidious.

(edited by snadge.2483)

in PvP

Vlaid.5790

You guys realize this thread isn’t about WoW vs GW2 right? It’s about what GW2 PVP lacks. Get off the WoW hatred and let’s talk about the actual topic at hand, mmkay?

in PvP

aleiro.8521

no need to be angry with people that played wow, but why do you want to turn this game into wow when you can just go play wow…?

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

I think vets in this game should be considered guildwars 1 players.

And to be honest I would gladly read all of their pvp complaints. Also, their talk about esports and guildwars 1 formats vs guildwars two formats.

When it all comes down to it (I couldn’t find the right word to express the sentence above it’s slipping my mind but will get edited), the guildwars 1 pvp formats gvg and arenas were ESPORTS. These formats are CASUAL. Two completely DIFFERENT things.

The word I am looking for I’ve been using a lot lately but it would mean the worth or quality of gw1 pvp formats being an esport compared to the worth or quality of gw2 pvp formats being an esport I’m pretty sure the word starts witha P.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

in PvP

Posted by: Fabbs.3579

Fabbs.3579

How can 5v5 ranked (will be) pvp with very heavy emphasis on teamplay and playcalling not be “E-sports” ?

in PvP

aleiro.8521

He is saying that warrior has crappy skills…dude warrior utility skills is like a candy store…OP is just not good or just trolling or I don’t know what the hell he is trying to do with this post….the game is so good in pvp if you have skills. I see everywhere elementalists complaining but I doubt they have any skill at all.
Have you ever fought a good elementalist as a warrior? they are so hard to kill with certain builds, they have mobility, tons of it, if you are dying fast as an ele, your build is completely wrong.
Have you ever fought a good ranger? they can harrass you like nuts.
Have you fought a good guardian?
Have you fought a good warrior?

Maybe you should ask yourselves these questions before coming to complain on a forum about the state of pvp.

Analyse what the OP said…he wants better gear so he can stay alive against a horde of enemies…that would mean changing the pvp game completely, it’s not what GW2 is about, so if you don’t like being on par gear with your fellow pvpers get the hell out of here….we don’t want you.

in PvP

snadge.2483

You guys realize this thread isn’t about WoW vs GW2 right? It’s about what GW2 PVP lacks.

GW2 PvP lacks nothing, it is balanced, fun and diverse.

in PvP

aleiro.8521

have to agree with snadge, maybe it can use more different pvp games, not only conquest but that will come in time.

in PvP

Posted by: Yssta.8345

Yssta.8345

The only thing I really agree with here is that they could improve the responsiveness of animations.

in PvP

aleiro.8521

The only thing I really agree with here is that they could improve the responsiveness of animations.

It is really weird when I have a game that has animation unresponsiveness, but it has happened. Some times there is a little lag, and makes my abilities not cast. But that happens very seldom. Other than that, I think the game is fine in terms of pvp

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

@Fabbs.3579

That will never be an esport. It is a casual game type. Two DIFFERENT things.

The the closest thing to an esport in this kind of game were the formats in guildwars one. On the topic of esports these formats are not even remotely close to even being called an esport.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.