[Vid] As per request. New Ranger survial 2015

in PvP

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

I’ve been asked to post my new build so here it is. Honestly I wasn’t able to put as much time into this video but it still shows the build potential. With the limited recording time I’ve had I chose to showcase outnumbered fights or fights against high tier players. I hope you enjoy.

IGN: Aussie Archer

(edited by aussieheals.6843)

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Makes everything better.

Dem bleed stacks on AA within 5 seconds. Oo while evading and healing like a madman.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

aussieheals.6843

haha glad you liked it. Here are some Q/A from reddit too:

1. Name of songs?
Emerald Sword – Rhapsody of Fire] and
Alestorm – Shipwrecked [Drop Goblin Remix] {Vinyl Rip}]

2. Interesting. Why the sword? Do you think Axe isn’t worth it?

• The poison on sword still puts out ample damage. But axe has minimal defense capability. Also, ranger is often first targeted in team fights. This turns into an advantage for your team because you are so tanky while still putting out ridiculous damage.

3. Hey, someone else who takes the weirdo builds seriously. Nice job. So how much mileage do you get out of piercing arrows?

• Doesn’t matter how much dmg you put out you are useless in big team fights and a lot less effective against mesmers/minon necros/turrent engies etc without piercing arrows. There are a lot of points I wish I could spend those on but they are indispensable. When designing this build I wanted to be equally strong against all builds/classes.
  • Edit: The increased condi duration is nice too

in PvP

Posted by: Arachnid.4062

Arachnid.4062

Axe has essentially 100% weakness uptime. I’d call that defensive capability. It also has chill for kiting and allows you to stay at range while still dpsing somewhat after swapping.

As for your build, it’s essentially useless in any team fight, as the bleed stacks will probably never exceed 6-7 if you are vs a competent team with shout warriors/eles who know how to cleanse. This build will also never beat a half competent D/D ele who doesn’t blow their cleanses too early in a 1v1. It really only has enough damage to kill thief/mesmer.

If a team is focusing a sword/dagger, sb ranger first in team fights, they probably have no idea what they are doing anyway, or they are just assuming its a longbow ranger with no defense.

Overall it’s just another half baked condi/bunker/duelist build with too much defense and too little team support. It won’t even win 1v1s fast enough to be worth it vs good players. The only really effective thing your build brings in Entangle + Krait runes.

Sigil of Accuracy also makes no sense at all on Shortbow, and Sylvari Hound has bad healing since the regen it gives scales with its healing power, so it ticks for like 130. Krytran Drakehound would be better for skirmishes, and either owl or spider would be better for duels.

As for the video, it looks like the typical “look at these noobs with no condi clear I stomped on my condi bunker” fare.

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Axe has essentially 100% weakness uptime. I’d call that defensive capability.

You don’t have to call it, because Weakness is a defensive condition.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in PvP

aussieheals.6843

Axe has essentially 100% weakness uptime. I’d call that defensive capability.

Thanks for the correction, it is in a sense. However, it is only good in 1v1 situation and also with all the rng dodging, blocking, rune procs etc you can’t always guarantee it. You can however control your own character. Also, the extra 2xevades roll nicely into your other evades to almost perma evade.

It also has chill for kiting and allows you to stay at range while still dpsing somewhat after swapping.

Not of much benefit considering you have cripple on weapons and muddy terrain. Also, one could argue that the leap from the sword creates that gap and can also be used to bring mobility to the ranger which is much needed.

As for your build, it’s essentially useless in any team fight, as the bleed stacks will probably never exceed 6-7 if you are vs a competent team with shout warriors/eles who know how to cleanse. This build will also never beat a half competent D/D ele who doesn’t blow their cleanses too early in a 1v1. It really only has enough damage to kill thief/mesmer.

You should really try the build prior to making assumptions, you’d be surprised. Also if it is a stale mate between the good ranger and the ele the ranger likely has the point capped and will have the ability to keep it capped thus making the ele efforts pointless.

If a team is focusing a sword/dagger, sb ranger first in team fights, they probably have no idea what they are doing anyway, or they are just assuming its a longbow ranger with no defense.

How many teams go full hardcore, use mics and are good? Maybe 5 per region? and thats even if they realize before they blow their cooldowns. Lets be real here.

Overall it’s just another half baked condi/bunker/duelist build with too much defense and too little team support. It won’t even win 1v1s fast enough to be worth it vs good players. The only really effective thing your build brings in Entangle + Krait runes.

If you can spike hard enough to insta kill good players I’d argue you have nowhere near enough defense in the current meta. Especially with the celestial amulets around. As mentioned above try the build prior to making assumptions.

Sigil of Accuracy also makes no sense at all on Shortbow,

If you pay attention to the build it certainly does. The bleed on crit stacks mega fast (perma fury too), and thanks to the shortbow firing way faster than the axe you actually stack bleeds faster with less rng (piercing arrows). The power/condi hybrid makes for some nice dps.

and Sylvari Hound has bad healing since the regen it gives scales with its healing power, so it ticks for like 130. Krytran Drakehound would be better for skirmishes, and either owl or spider would be better for duels.

Yep, I took the link from a post I made earlier last week (or so) where I was just dressing up character around a theme (forest/leaf). I mentioned there the main pet is optional, I should of mentioned it again here. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh also you can see in the vid that I didn’t really use that pet either.

As for the video, it looks like the typical “look at these noobs with no condi clear I stomped on my condi bunker” fare.

It sure does until you try the build. Good builds make things look easy and can cause this perception.

Above all thanks for the constructive feedback! Keep in mind there is no 100% right way, we all have different play styles too

Edit: Sorry for the late reply the forums have been bugged

in PvP

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

I had a very short conversation in hotm today about shortbow ranger but i didn’t get much knowledge out of it so i guess i will ask here.

Is the bleed easy to proc against top tier players since it has to hit from the back or sides, i was thinking about picking it up but wasn’t sure if it would be reliable enough, although it shouldn’t effect me since I’m not top tier anyway but was just curious.

Also how long has axe been becoming popular? Just in case i can be classified as a axe ranger hipster.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Is the bleed easy to proc against top tier players since it has to hit from the back or sides

The thing is, the bleeding is not only proccing from what I would call the back or sides. Basically the window where it does not apply bleed is very very small.

Just take a friend in an empty server, and start auto attacking him from the front while slowly circling him.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend