[Vid] Unranked in a nutshell

in PvP

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Hey all!
Since the end of the first league season, anet has disabled ranked matchmaking. This means that EVERYONE has to play unranked to get into a PvP match. This leads to bad matchmaking and getting paired up with a lot of bad/new players.

UNRANKED: Is for testing new builds + new(ish) players
RANKED: For people who actually want a good PvP match with people of similar skill level/MMR

This video I just showed some of the ‘special’ people you meet while in an unranked match ¯\(?)/¯

Hope you enjoy(ed) and have a good day!
-Hollts

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in PvP

Posted by: NecroSummonsMors.7816

NecroSummonsMors.7816

I agree with you. We need ranked back

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Ranked doesn’t solve every problem (it just reduces the number of “boring” matches) people still play bad in ranked, but unranked is it’s own “special” place. It’s hard what differentiates bad players from good ones, but the only things off the top of my head are target priority, disengaging fights, map awareness, rotations, and then you can go on about player skill if it is is average. I think people are forgetting how bad people play in ranked too, but they aren’t as blatant as some unranked matches, which some people only play, which is fine, but we all have to drink the dank koolaid to play with them.

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

sometime i love unranked as it makes me in some cases to take my team on my back with rotation no matter which class i play

example: 1 min to 5:30 buff (sure no one respond to me ping on map). we have mid and lost far and close. the enemy team had 60 points ahead. 4 stayed mid (why). i went close decaping it and and saw ally (necro) coming after me (why not the thief?!) so i let him cap. and rush far . i manage to decap and saw enemy coming to me and buff is coming out in 5 sec so i left the point and rushed to buff and got it. than i rush mid to help while i saw 1v1 on home. our thief stayed mid till i scream at chat to go close and fast kill and we contest mid while i saw necro leaving mid and rushing far (necro!)
it was 4v3 on mid i died last on the point and we manage to win 500:497

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

to enter ranked u only have to be rank 20 which not much at all. i also like the to play the other maps for once and not take it seriously and just laugh at newbies playing. maybe the problem is you come to unranked and assume that everyone knows what to do. heck thats rare in ranked match too. just few more weeks and season 2 starts, most legendary division guys are doing other stuff like pve or wvw.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

The only problem with matches right now is people who are toxic and think they are better ruing the matches for everyone else. I cant tell you how many time I’ve had to play with some “top teir” player that thinks they are amazing due to being on some team. They if they don’t win from the outset they complain and afk. All i want is casual fun matches. Please add back ranked so the toxic no lifes can go back to there and let me play in peace.

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Probably just me, but whenever someone posts one of these videos I always watch it to see if I’m the star idiot. Glad I wasn’t… this time.

To the point, I think people have already answered why we have rank. It is for play testing. Anet is forcing everyone into unranked which does allow for play testing and perfecting a build. I don’t see too big of a problem with this. PvP right now is just training for Season 2.

in PvP

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

Not only you Mystic In the fight with the DH, I would have let you bleed a bit over there too, as long as it was safe (not like that though :p). You could probably down him if he tried to stomp, depending on his cds, but I guess he’d win that downed state fight, not sure.

Very enjoyable vid btw

(edited by Demandred.7930)

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Not only you Mystic In the fight with the DH, I would have let you bleed a bit over there too, as long as it was safe (not like that though :p). You could probably down him if he tried to stomp, depending on his cds, but I guess he’d win that downed state fight, not sure.

Very enjoyable vid btw

Honestly for me the problem was not that he didn’t stomp. After all, this way the necro was unavailable for quite some time. It can be a great strategy if you’re anyway intending to guard the point. What was really stupid is the player not realizing he didn’t own the point and thus never stayed on it…

in PvP

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

Agreed. I’m not so sure that the DH realized this though, it was just not an option for him at first. I may have given the impression that I would stomp with more hp, it’s not the case :p

in PvP

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

Nearly all my games yesterday were either thrash or be thrashed.

I’m still relatively new to the game, but after numerous years playing games that have a competitive element it’s not hard to determine skill level.

In one of my games where my team was being thrashed a guy on our team actually said "no wondering we’re losing, look at the gear they’re wearing "

I may or may not have said some rude things in reply.

in PvP

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

In one of my games where my team was being thrashed a guy on our team actually said "no wondering we’re losing, look at the gear they’re wearing "

LMAO

I love people in this game!

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Kiley.8629

Kiley.8629

Am I the only one who thinks the DH isn’t wrong for letting someone bleed off point? Yes not recapping the node was dumb but if I’m guarding a point and someone dies off it I lol every time they try to self res while occasionally putting condis on them so they extend their respawn time and stomp when necessary.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Why are you looking for high skill play in unranked? That’s like playing League of Legends and expect smart, skilled players in ARAM.

Besides, PvP blows right now. ArenaNet insists on ruining their gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: DontPaniC.8740

DontPaniC.8740

Complains about no ranked for a few weeks when there hasn’t been a WvW tournament in years.

in PvP

Posted by: arkaxify.3258

arkaxify.3258

Lmao yep that’s pretty accurate

Great vid

Primordial, Exalted, Illustrious and Indomitable legend.

in PvP

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

It’s missing the people stacking on the nodes while being capture to get the points.

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

in PvP

Posted by: jbondo.9817

jbondo.9817

unranked is kittening awful

Dusty Dawg

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

SO MUCH THIS! Really felt submersed in the video. It’s like I was there, or I had some terrible memories from many of my recent unranked matches… XD

Please never remove ranked! I don’t mind seasons, but between seasons you shouldn’t throw a whole group of players under the bus. I’ve done about 1/6 as much pvp since the season ended, a lot because of the fact that the games don’t feel as competitive, so so few try hards. I mean, I haven’t been called bad in any game yet, and in ranked there is always at least one to tell me to reroll due to my profession and that I should die. I don’t miss these people, but I miss the world they lived in.. XD

TLDR: NEVER GET RID OF RANKED.

in PvP

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

The amount of kitten I get from absolutely clueless players is staggering…

I got some master crafter ele who has clearly just slayed jormag and jumped into PvP thinking he’s a boss giving me the most stupid advice on how to kill warriors with thief and all that. He says a bunch of jibberish about reflecting his killshot so he’d kill himself and all that, calls me an idiot player who is scared of a kitten class and then blocks me. Of course I’m an immature kittenhead and I log onto my other account and tell him what needed to be told.

Then you got necros who spam all their marks ontop of themselves as soon as they see you (happens way too much) not realising they can all be dodged, then when they’re eating the floor asking for res they whisper you some bullkitten about how bad I am and one of them even called himself a well known pro necro. Amazing.

I load into the match, 1st thing I see is some random saying ‘2thiefs switch pls’, I respond with ‘no’. We continue to play the rest of the game 4v5 since he afk’d because me or the other thief didn’t swap class, in unranked…

Losing ~300 to ~400… 2 enemy players chasing me, a thief, for about 2 minutes because they are salty about getting focused in previous fights. I run around decapping points and attacking them every now and then to keep them interested. Of course they never catch me. We win the game because of that.

I mean unranked is a kittenfest but you also get some good laughs which you don’t get in ranked, at least not in legend and definitely not as often…

in PvP

Posted by: daggerhands.9634

daggerhands.9634

I always have the kittenedplayers on my team cus a-nets system decided i should be able to carry players in the 100- 15000 ap range. (And no i am not saying ap reflects skill it does show dedication however!)

in PvP

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

lol, that player giving DH a bad name now XD
Anyway, not surprised, this has been the source of PROBLEM since the first year of GW2 launched.

Arena failed to segregate new players and veteran players.
Arena basically throwing kittens (yes i mean kittens) into a cage filled with raging lions and hoping more kittens will join spvp, which proven a failed concept. Just look at pvp populations.

Meanwhile, please do not join unranked, go to hotjoin and have fun seeing Dragon & Pheonix roasting Rabbit till a solution is out.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Arena basically throwing kittens (yes i mean kittens) into a cage filled with raging lions and hoping more kittens will join spvp, which proven a failed concept. Just look at pvp populations.

Except they do segregate veterans and new players. That’s what the MMR system does. Yes there is some skill difference in matches that occurs due to the necessity of making the queue pop, but that difference is minor.

The only reason people think that scrubs and pros are lumped together is because they’ve been playing in this MMR system for so long they have lost all concept of what new players actually play like, on top of people having ridiculously high opinions of their skill while being quick to blame their teammates.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Except they do segregate veterans and new players. That’s what the MMR system does. Yes there is some skill difference in matches that occurs due to the necessity of making the queue pop, but that difference is minor.

The only reason people think that scrubs and pros are lumped together is because they’ve been playing in this MMR system for so long they have lost all concept of what new players actually play like, on top of people having ridiculously high opinions of their skill while being quick to blame their teammates.

Except we have no idea how MMR works.

If anet showed us our MMR then we can argue about it, but up to this time no one knows how it works.

Also we have no idea of the pvp population.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

If anet showed us our MMR then we can argue about it, but up to this time no one knows how it works.

The pseudo code for the matchmaker actually available on the wiki.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

Obviously that’s pseudo and doesn’t contain the exact details, but to say that the matchmaker doesn’t do anything is a fallacy.
I can anecdotally confirm it works just by watching my mother play a pvp match and noting that I never see players of that skill level in any of my matches.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

The pseudo code for the matchmaker actually available on the wiki.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

Obviously that’s pseudo and doesn’t contain the exact details, but to say that the matchmaker doesn’t do anything is a fallacy.
I can anecdotally confirm it works just by watching my mother play a pvp match and noting that I never see players of that skill level in any of my matches.

So why do we get this matches in pvp then? the video is proof. If MMR and matchmaking really worked, this matches should only be seen in idiots vs idiots.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

SO MUCH THIS! Really felt submersed in the video. It’s like I was there, or I had some terrible memories from many of my recent unranked matches… XD

Please never remove ranked! I don’t mind seasons, but between seasons you shouldn’t throw a whole group of players under the bus. I’ve done about 1/6 as much pvp since the season ended, a lot because of the fact that the games don’t feel as competitive, so so few try hards. I mean, I haven’t been called bad in any game yet, and in ranked there is always at least one to tell me to reroll due to my profession and that I should die. I don’t miss these people, but I miss the world they lived in.. XD

TLDR: NEVER GET RID OF RANKED.

Hahaha the bad ‘unranked’ memories… * Spooky Sounds *

Why are you looking for high skill play in unranked? That’s like playing League of Legends and expect smart, skilled players in ARAM.

Besides, PvP blows right now. ArenaNet insists on ruining their gameplay.

Well I’m not, and that’s why I’m asking Anet to bring back ranked – where I CAN look for it :^)

Nearly all my games yesterday were either thrash or be thrashed.

I’m still relatively new to the game, but after numerous years playing games that have a competitive element it’s not hard to determine skill level.

LOL xD

Very enjoyable vid btw

Haha yea probably, and thanks! Everyone keeps commenting on how ‘tactical’ the DH played by letting me bleed out, but the point of showing that clip was that he did not seem to notice that he had lost the point.

The fact that he was also called ‘Pepe Special’ only made it funnier xD

The only problem with matches right now is people who are toxic and think they are better ruing the matches for everyone else. I cant tell you how many time I’ve had to play with some “top teir” player that thinks they are amazing due to being on some team. They if they don’t win from the outset they complain and afk. All i want is casual fun matches. Please add back ranked so the toxic no lifes can go back to there and let me play in peace.

Yea this too >.> The amount of flamers, ragers, quitters and afkers seem to only have gone up lately

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in PvP

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

The other thing that’s been far more noticeable in unranked is people just start spamming skills in downed state.

I’ve lost count now on how many mental midgets have used their teleport skills when I’m trying to revive them thus canceling it out and either end up bleeding out or go right into the other team.

Really starting to get anoying…

in PvP

Posted by: Jack Daniels.5270

Jack Daniels.5270

Yes unraked has lot of one sided games, i just play as my team does now, if they all 4 go to cap close at start … i go with them A bit of wow style, geting camped in gy or camping others in gy.