(Video)PvP Review & Thoughts 2016

in PvP

Posted by: Biklen.5490

Biklen.5490

Hey guys, so PvP currently has its ups and downs. But mainly we wanted to cover some things that Guild Wars as a franchise needs to return to. Hopefully you guys feel the same way we do. Enjoy

~BalougaPod

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Anet has been slowly improving other aspects of the game. I am sure pvp changes will come soon.

Changing the trait system is unnecessary at this point. They simply need to buff certain utilities and traits for classes. Almost all of the elite specilizations offer improved aspects to classes without really limiting other aspects and that is why they are so relevent today.

Making the game free to play and trying to sell Heart of Thorns with strong specilizations resulted in huge power creep.

They also should of separated skills and stats from wvw/pve and pvp if they were serious about creating a pvp game because it limits what they can change.

Basically they made a lot of irreversible decisions that ruined the games potential.

The rest of what I am about to say is purely my speculation and in no way reflects Colin Johanson and the ArenaNet staff’s continued dedication to the game..

Basically I think NCsoft pulled all the strings for the way the game started going after and during development of Heart of Thorns. Anet has to continue to make profit after all.

The way I see it Colin got frustrated with the direction of the game and resigned. I mean he quit at one of the worst possible moments for this game and not long after the expansion went live and the game went free to play.

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Biklen.5490

Anet has been slowly improving other aspects of the game. I am sure pvp changes will come soon.

Changing the trait system is unnecessary at this point. They simply need to buff certain utilities and traits for classes. Almost all of the elite specilizations offer improved aspects to classes without really limiting other aspects and that is why they are so relevent today.

Making the game free to play and trying to sell Heart of Thorns with strong specilizations resulted in huge power creep.

They also should of separated skills and stats from wvw/pve and pvp if they were serious about creating a pvp game because it limits what they can change.

Basically they made a lot of irreversible decisions that ruined the games potential.

The rest of what I am about to say is purely my speculation and in no way reflects Colin Johanson and the ArenaNet staff’s continued dedication to the game..

Basically I think NCsoft pulled all the strings for the way the game started going after and during development of Heart of Thorns. Anet has to continue to make profit after all.

The way I see it Colin got frustrated with the direction of the game and resigned. I mean he quit at one of the worst possible moments for this game and not long after the expansion went live and the game went free to play.

If they allow the traits to remain the same than Druid>Ranger and so on to the other classes. Yes they can buff them all they want. But it will never be the same for the Ranger or any class that taps into another HoT ability. The Ranger for instance will always remain and wait on cooldowns while Druid can simply Tap into Druid and heal through burst.

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Supposedly they will be adding other elite specializations that should in theory alleviate this issue you are seeing with the elite specialization power creep. The base class may be “weaker”, but with a slottable elite specialization it will give a bit of diversification and choice. I would not agree with the idea of trying to shoe horn gw1’s duo class system into gw2. They are simply two different games, built on different foundations. For example, Anything/Thief could basically become broken, being able to take advantage of stealth/mobility without the limitations built into the thief class that the stealth mechanic is balanced around. Necros being able to actually get out of a fight for example.

The video was nice though. Beats a lot of the senseless commentary and critique on these forums.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

well 10 minutes to just say that capture node mode is killing build diversity, and that there’s just 1-2 build available for each class…
While i agree on this, 10 minutes are too much!! XD XD
Aniway, there’s also a third big problem in Gw2, as you mentioned it doesnt require a lot of skill. It wasnt like this before the condi patch hitting on june of one year ago, and it became even more evident after the HoT release… more and more autoprocs/CC/condi aoe, and less and less timing counterplay. If you don’t know what i mean, look at vanilla berserker warrior vs vanilla berserker warrior… now thats an example of skilled gameplay, look instead on druid/necro/condi shatter mesmer just to name some of the actual meta builds, and feel the difference.

in PvP

Biklen.5490

well 10 minutes to just say that capture node mode is killing build diversity, and that there’s just 1-2 build available for each class…
Aniway, there’s also a third big problem in Gw2, as you mentioned it doesnt require a lot of skill. It wasnt like this before the condi patch hitting on june of one year ago, and it became even more evident after the HoT release… more and more autoprocs/CC/condi aoe, and less and less timing counterplay. If you don’t know what i mean, look at vanilla berserker warrior vs vanilla berserker warrior… now thats an example of skilled gameplay, look instead on druid/necro/condi shatter mesmer just to name some of the actual meta builds, and feel the difference.

100% agree. I did not mention this in the video because i feel a revamp of class traits will and maybe take care of this. There is noway they cannot see it and we players do. Unless they choose to make the game easier.

in PvP

Biklen.5490

There is always going to be a OP class….That is the part of MMO’s balance, re-balance, and OP re-balance,. Look at wow…They did that by design to make players have to play new classes every patch. Why? Because the more u lvl the less u think about quitin

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

There is always going to be a OP class….That is the part of MMO’s balance, re-balance, and OP re-balance,. Look at wow…They did that by design to make players have to play new classes every patch. Why? Because the more u lvl the less u think about quitin

Its pretty funny actually, they are too stupid to realize that people will automatically want to play a new class after a while if their current class stays the same OP or otherwise.

All that energy they spend on breaking classes they could spend it on promoting build diversity or a trait system that changes the playstyle of the class as opposed to picking which strengths and weaknesses you want so people don’t get bored with their class.

There’s never anything wrong with breaking balance after a patch, that will always happen but the only thing that makes it OK is how quickly it is corrected

The sad part of it is actually the bugs that have been with the classes for months. Revenant has so many of those and a trait in corruption that doesnt even do what is on the tooltip, the devs know this but they havent done anything to change it.

Personally i’m just waiting for Black Desert Online to get settled in then im done with Anet and their games (no pun intended lol) i sure as hell wont be recommending this to anyone, probably will tell people to stay far away from it.

in PvP

Biklen.5490

Its pretty funny actually, they are too stupid to realize that people will automatically want to play a new class after a while if their current class stays the same OP or otherwise.

All that energy they spend on breaking classes they could spend it on promoting build diversity or a trait system that changes the playstyle of the class as opposed to picking which strengths and weaknesses you want so people don’t get bored with their class.

There’s never anything wrong with breaking balance after a patch, that will always happen but the only thing that makes it OK is how quickly it is corrected

The sad part of it is actually the bugs that have been with the classes for months. Revenant has so many of those and a trait in corruption that doesnt even do what is on the tooltip, the devs know this but they havent done anything to change it.

Personally i’m just waiting for Black Desert Online to get settled in then im done with Anet and their games (no pun intended lol) i sure as hell wont be recommending this to anyone, probably will tell people to stay far away from it.

Stay away from Black Desert. Promise you GW2 is 200x better than that game will ever be.

in PvP

Ragion.2831

lol that is one hell of an insult to BDO then. I’d like to see what it looks like a year from now, gw2 is almost 4 years old BDO is still pretty new.

Apparently they changed CC in such a way you can’t chain them (stun lock) and they update the game much much faster than Anet does to gw2.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Supposedly they will be adding other elite specializations that should in theory alleviate this issue you are seeing with the elite specialization power creep. The base class may be “weaker”, but with a slottable elite specialization it will give a bit of diversification and choice.

Adding new elite specs at the power of current elite specs will not fix the balance problems or improve the game. The problem with current elite specs isn’t just that they’re more powerful. The problem is that they’re more powerful in a way which makes them far too forgiving and skill-less. Elite specs must be nerfed.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Supposedly they will be adding other elite specializations that should in theory alleviate this issue you are seeing with the elite specialization power creep. The base class may be “weaker”, but with a slottable elite specialization it will give a bit of diversification and choice.

Adding new elite specs at the power of current elite specs will not fix the balance problems or improve the game. The problem with current elite specs isn’t just that they’re more powerful. The problem is that they’re more powerful in a way which makes them far too forgiving and skill-less. Elite specs must be nerfed.

Elite specs don’t need a nerf, we just need another update on every non-elite trait that classes have. Just like how Anet updated every single trait prehot to match that of the Metabattle builds; the most utilized builds in pvp. Shave, buff, & combine traits.

Ever since we got that patch, followed with the Condi patch that was OP but then nerfed, build diversity was at an all time high. We need another one of those “trait specialization” updates.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Elite specs don’t need a nerf, we just need another update on every non-elite trait that classes have. Just like how Anet updated every single trait prehot to match that of the Metabattle builds; the most utilized builds in pvp. Shave, buff, & combine traits.

Ever since we got that patch, followed with the Condi patch that was OP but then nerfed, build diversity was at an all time high. We need another one of those “trait specialization” updates.

Clearly you’re carried by elite specs and have a selective memory. Build diversity at practically any point before the June 2015 patch (trait re-work) was higher than at any time since.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Biklen.5490

I personally think we really need to let more traits be used at the same time like the old system. I loved the old trait system because you had such build diversity

in PvP

Ragion.2831

I personally think we really need to let more traits be used at the same time like the old system. I loved the old trait system because you had such build diversity

Ha! that would never happen, they cant stabilize the current system as it is. Imagine what would happen if they opened up the trait system. It would take them double the time it does now to fix any breaks.

Naa its over, almost 4 years and we have bugs all over the place, lack of build diversity and a few broken builds with this condi meta. In Hotjoin probably about 90% of players use power builds but in ranked maybe about 30% use power builds.

The first mistake they made was changing the trait system, they could have combined some traits with the old system or changed the layout into a webbed one as opposed to trait lines.

The second mistake was making everything do 10x more damage than normal just because they wanted to kill the tank meta. Killing the tank meta by straight upping damage across the board is quite insane and flat out lazy.

If they did an overhaul now to allow for build diversity, the game will be in its 10th year before it makes any sense.

Everyone should just get used to playing one or two builds now because that is not going to change for a long time if ever.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

GW1 was a pve game, LUL.

http://gw1101.gtm.guildwars.com/competitive/funseason/tseries2007/rules.php

Time to take off the rose-tinted glasses gw1 pvp was full of cheese and cancerous metas that always got resurrected (IWAY waves).

Most of your problems would be fixed if there was a dedicated healer in this game, but Anet shot themselves in the foot and killed alternate game modes in one go. The proleague money is marketing money which still baffles me that people don’t realize this (they can’t just shuffle marketing money to game development money like somebody handing you a $1 bill).

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

i dont know if you fail to see this but in gw1 sure u can be 2 class at the same time but in gw2 u can be a support, tank, dps at the same time. 3 roles better than 2? IMO. also as someone who plays gw1 pvp a lot… theres really 2 maybe 3 build per class. u either balance, spike, or pressure. sure i agree that pvp in gw1 i think is more fun. but gw2 isnt that bad. as a gw1 warrior i either be KD w/mo iway w/r or balance w/e. u mention passives… sure we agree on that. but if gw1 had any passive traits instead of just adjusting stats and adding runes, im pretty sure they would have passive also. gw2 passive is done diff. u will proc passive if u met certain standard. ex. cast plague signet if you have certain amount of condi on u and you crit the enemy… something like that. as for gw1 being pve game… nope ANET has been into esport when esport is not even popular. after playing some overwatch i think ANET need to raise the team number to 6 instead of five to be more impact to your team. also i think more plays can be done with 6 players in a conquest map who has 3 points to hold.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

I’ve always thought 5 player conquest to be inadequate and boring. In my opinion best gamemode for 5 players is deathmatch or capture the flag. Conquest just feels it’s best played with 10-15 players really.

It’s the same way in FPS games, in Battlefield, Conquest is more fun when the server is packed. The less people you have the more boring Conquest mode gets. While Deathmatch can be played with half the player cap and still be fun.

Looking at Spirit Watch I don’t feel Anet fully understands how to create a capture the flag game mode. You don’t force a 5v5 game to play both ctf & conquest at the same time. You make a proper ctf map, like warsong gulch, and let your players focus on the flag. In doing so, I can guarantee more build variety than what we see today. And the gameplay pace would be faster and much more exciting.

I just feel this fighting over lil circles conquest mode with 5v5 have grown stale. It limits build viability because you have to play conquest a certain way. It’s boring for viewers, it’s downright confusing for non-GW2 players to watch, and it’s hard for esports casters to call a game of conquest with things happening on 3 different spots.

WTB new game modes, and not PvE stronghold please, I hate anything involving trebs and doors.

in PvP

Biklen.5490

I’ve always thought 5 player conquest to be inadequate and boring. In my opinion best gamemode for 5 players is deathmatch or capture the flag. Conquest just feels it’s best played with 10-15 players really.

It’s the same way in FPS games, in Battlefield, Conquest is more fun when the server is packed. The less people you have the more boring Conquest mode gets. While Deathmatch can be played with half the player cap and still be fun.

Looking at Spirit Watch I don’t feel Anet fully understands how to create a capture the flag game mode. You don’t force a 5v5 game to play both ctf & conquest at the same time. You make a proper ctf map, like warsong gulch, and let your players focus on the flag. In doing so, I can guarantee more build variety than what we see today. And the gameplay pace would be faster and much more exciting.

I just feel this fighting over lil circles conquest mode with 5v5 have grown stale. It limits build viability because you have to play conquest a certain way. It’s boring for viewers, it’s downright confusing for non-GW2 players to watch, and it’s hard for esports casters to call a game of conquest with things happening on 3 different spots.

WTB new game modes, and not PvE stronghold please, I hate anything involving trebs and doors.

Well said man…This is how i feel about it…Very stale when it comes to conquest