Vision and Leadership

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

It seemed very clear watching the last livestream that ANET is trying to impose specific playstyles and dispose of others. In a couple of cases, playstyles that are personally disliked by the devs are being forcibly removed.

I heard the phrases “we think” and “we feel” several times before I lost interest.

Playstyles should not be modded or removed because they annoy a dev. One does not generate build diversity by banning builds.

A leader suggests a path that the followers are already inclined to follow. Often she or he has engineered it so that they are in agreement already.

Strong arm tactics are seldom productive in the short or long run.

If the devs are determined to force specific playstyles.. then I request that they publish guides so that I know what is favored and don’t have to guess.

Come to think of it, that would be a persuasive and productive way to influence the game.

Mesmerising Girl

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

What?

Ranger//Necro

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

That’s too non specific to answer, sorry. Please rephrase and elaborate.

Mesmerising Girl

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Alexander.9810

Alexander.9810

Are you an upset Clone on Death Mesmer?

Warrior in FFXIV, the best MMO in the world
Former Warrior in Guild Wars 2
Former Sith Warrior in SWTOR

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

Clone on death traits were an interesting mechanic, but like current phantasm builds they discouraged you from actively using what is supposed to be the defining mechanic of the Mesmer profession: shatters. Creating illusions and then shattering them for base and traited effects are the vision the devs have for the Mesmer class, and arguably the vision they have had from the beginning, discouraging use of the profession mechanic is not part of that vision.

I think that is reasonable.

Death Nova and Minion Master may be an alternative worth looking into.

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

It’s not reasonable to ban my play style simply because it annoys a dev. As to the shatter mechanic being the theme of Mesmer…. It’s the fault of the devs that the clones are unreasonably weak and target poorly.

Shatter is not played as much as it could be in PvP for a simple reason: It’s too difficult and unreliable to work well.

Mesmerising Girl

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

It’s not reasonable to ban my play style simply because it annoys a dev. As to the shatter mechanic being the theme of Mesmer…. It’s the fault of the devs that the clones are unreasonably weak and target poorly.

Shatter is not played as much as it could be in PvP for a simple reason: It’s too difficult and unreliable to work well.

I do get your point, I used to run a condirupt clone death build, and it wasn’t passive.

People here on the forums always say, “nerf passive” crap, but I bet you those people who act like elitist jerks, majority of those are trash too in pvp. So ignore them.

PS: I’m assuming you are a she because of the Silmarion reference on your name.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

@StickerHappy you are only the second player in 2+ years to recognize the Sindarin name. Thanks, you made my evening. Yes, she is correct.

Mesmerising Girl

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The process by which playstyle decisions are made is unknown, it’s unfair to jump to conclusions about that.

If you have specific playstyles you feel should be in the game, then present an argument for them. However critizing the design process without knowing much about it or what it takes to get ideas (that are in heavy flux) ultimately approved seems rash.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

I’m glad they have guys that worked in Guild Wars 1 working on Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars is about diversity, and discovering what works. For example, energy surge mesmer wasn’t a thing in GvG (or atleast a popular one), until someone played it in 4v4 Random Arenas around mid-2010 and people saw it’s potential as a monk killer.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

I’m glad they have guys that worked in Guild Wars 1 working on Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars is about diversity, and discovering what works. For example, energy surge mesmer wasn’t a thing in GvG (or atleast a popular one), until someone played it in 4v4 Random Arenas around mid-2010 and people saw it’s potential as a monk killer.

Since GW1 and GW2 are completely different pvp wise they shouldn’t be brought up at this point considering that the lead GW2 pvp dev actually played GW1 pvp and left the team, to have the main pvp dev (current) with 0 GW1 pvp experience leading the GW2 pvp dev team says enough.

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The devs themselves said that if they’re removing something that doesn’t adhere to us then they’ll hear our opinion on the matter.
Exactly what play style got removed? Is it popular enough for it to get 800+ likes so the devs will change their minds?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

In terms of mesmer you still have shatter, interrupt and condi. The rest were mostly passive builds that ilike to see gone. If your active build got ruined, sad to hear! After all, they said that “we are going to keep as many builds as we can”. I think we will manage though, since elite specilization will offer other playstyles. =)

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Since GW1 and GW2 are completely different pvp wise they shouldn’t be brought up at this point considering that the lead GW2 pvp dev actually played GW1 pvp and left the team, to have the main pvp dev (current) with 0 GW1 pvp experience leading the GW2 pvp dev team says enough.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. If you’re stuck in a single mind set you’re going to lean on specific-old school ideas that may or may not work. With a new manager and team, we may also see new concepts that may or may not work.

Let’s not forget that pvp programmers, managers, and employees in general change jobs all the time no different than you and I. Can’t blame people for trying to better thenselves. We definitely shouldn’t blame the company for taking a leap in another direction.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Vision and Leadership

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

My objection is that the build I currently use, Condi shatter with clone death traited is being eliminated.

One of the devs commented on live stream that the build annoyed him. Now it’s going to be removed.

A dev losing to a build is not a reason to destroy that build. As to it being passive, it’s not for anyone who’s played it.. It’s more or less like setting traps.

What’s an “unhealthy” play style? This game is supposed to be for me to have fun. The build hasn’t been shown to be OP, it shouldn’t be banned out of play.

Turret engineer is trampling all over the leaderboards right now. Yet, engineers are about to get a gift basket of huge buffs. Ranger super range/damage hasn’t been addressed. Yet one mesmer off-build is being completely eliminated from play.. not just nerfed, eliminated.

That’s my primary objection. It’s just wrong on principle. I’ll find another build of course.. but that doesn’t make it right.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)