WTB harsher punishment for leavers/AFKers

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Can we have 24 hrs bans for leavers and afkers? Is it right to waste other people’s time?

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

I’d rather they improve the game to minimise this behaviour and then focus on the AFKers if any are left.

in PvP

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

They should just add a resign button. If 3 or more (i.e. the majority) people resigns the match ends and opponent is declared the victor.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in PvP

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

How about giving non AFKers what they have in WvW

Outnumbered
The enemies greatly outnumber your forces, be careful out there!
+50% Participation
+20% Magic Find
+25% World Experience
Take no armor damage on death

Could translate to
+50% Reward Track Progress
+20% Magic Find
+25% Rank Points
Lose no pips if you lose. MMR unaffected on loss

If they had it that this could come into effect automatically if someone disconnects or spends say 1 minute in base. Like the WvW bonus it doesn’t give you an advantage over the enemy team but might encourage the other 4 to keep playing.

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

Rewards that promote participation whether you win or lose is what’s needed. Gold or skins or titles for reaching long term goals like heals per match or caps per round. Anything to keep people actively fighting. The game could also be improved by rewarding people for doing things like capping and ressing and stomping.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I don’t see how giving losers a reward will help. It would just encourage more afkers.

in PvP

Posted by: Zynt.5769

Zynt.5769

They should just add a resign button. If 3 or more (i.e. the majority) people resigns the match ends and opponent is declared the victor.

This would be the best option. It was in the original Guild Wars, so I don’t know they didn’t put it into Guild Wars 2.

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

I’d rather they improve the game to minimise this behaviour and then focus on the AFKers if any are left.

Amen.

in PvP

Sinmir.6504

I don’t see how giving losers a reward will help. It would just encourage more afkers.

It would give the 4 who are still playing a reward and nothing to the AFKer. Didn’t say anything about just losers getting a reward, I’m sure we can all think of times we’ve won 4v5. Give the outnumbered bonus even if the team with 4 wins. They tried to win while outnumbered and succeeded.

in PvP

Posted by: serj.8214

serj.8214

Afkers\Leavers should pay by 1 tier or even a division for afk\leave.

in PvP

Posted by: franandlaura.1382

franandlaura.1382

Anet needs to fix the random disconnect problem before enhancing punishments for leaving.

Earlier today I started an unranked PVP match only to receive the dreaded “The game client lost its connection to the server” message literally seconds after the match started. I reconnected as quickly as I could, finished the match and still managed to be third in points for my team, but I got a “dishonor timeout” and a “desertion” result in my games played anyway.

So I’d hate to get a 24 hour ban or some other nonsense because Anet’s client dropped me randomly from a match … right?

Players afk-ing is a symptom of the reward system—which grants credit for the match even to players who just stand around and do nothing. I think it’s a pretty easy fix: Anet just needs to include a “points earned” threshold in order for a player to get credit for a match. Capping, killing, and supporting earn points. Standing around or leaving gets you zilch.

Just my 2.5

in PvP

Posted by: Topher.5631

Topher.5631

Afkers\Leavers should pay by 1 tier or even a division for afk\leave.

Then those that d/c on accident would be punished instead. Though they could probably do a bit of code to determine if the number of packets going in / out declined instead of shut off all at once (to determine that they actually did d/c)

If you can’t beat it, it is, needless to say, OP
Looking for a team? Start here! https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

Reasons people AFK;

1) The opening of the match goes completely wrong
Solution: Better rewards for participation (Are these sufficient already?)
2) A player on their team that they have clashed with before
Solution: Allow blacklisting
3) They get called away in reality.
Solution: ?
4) They’re trying to lose
Solution: Harsher penalties

Most of the reasons I can think of that people AFK aren’t solved by harsher penalties.
Anything I’ve missed?

in PvP

Posted by: serj.8214

serj.8214

Reasons people AFK;

1) The opening of the match goes completely wrong
Solution: Better rewards for participation (Are these sufficient already?)
2) A player on their team that they have clashed with before
Solution: Allow blacklisting
3) They get called away in reality.
Solution: ?
4) They’re trying to lose
Solution: Harsher penalties

Most of the reasons I can think of that people AFK aren’t solved by harsher penalties.
Anything I’ve missed?

Nr2 with such things spvp will die bcs of dat blocklist.

in PvP

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

I rather would love to see a ban for players, who are too bad for ruby, but this won’t happen either.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

I rather would love to see a ban for players, who are too bad for ruby, but this won’t happen either.

Banning players for being bad at sPvP would be very bad. That being said keeping bad players and trolls out of Ranked sPvP ques till they blossom into the basic flower of a sPvPer in GW2, just how other Dev teams in other actual competitive PvP games. 121 hours of actual play time in this MOBA I’m currently playing. I still only meet 2/4 of the requirements to even be able to queue up for Ranked League matches.

It’s just the difference in games, to be honest. GW2 by design at any point ANet and the GW2 community wishes it can be beyond glorious and competitive without the need of Shines. It’s Prestige alone can carry GW2’s sPvP to the heights of eSports level. That alone would bring in more players and money then the current shenanigans. But as we all know this will not happen because nether ANet nor the GW2’s sPvP community actually wants a competitive sPvP Ranked system.

So yes my conclusion to the current AFKer situation that plaguing GW2’s sPvP in light of the noncompetitive system. Is to give all these AFKers freedom from GW2’s sPvP by permanently banning them for GW2’s sPvP mode period. This way they can finally go to find their greener pastures and leave the rest of the “Bads of the Gaming World Community” to find shelter and peace at long last since the start of leagues. But be careful of what you wish for because this can bite you even harder then you now are aware of. Peace and death can go hand and hand if lefted alone.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

If you punish leavers too severely you’ll inadvertently punish people who have power surge, power loss, ISP issues, emergency situation etc… If your saying you’ve never had this issue I’d like to point out we all don’t live in the perfect location where we can run an extension cord directly from the power plant and an ethernet cable directly into GW2 servers… Crap happens, deal with it…

Now if you actually made a post that took longer than 5 seconds to formulate such as adding the thought “If they left x number of matches in x amount of time” I would be more empathetic. Sadly this is not well thought out or planned post and I feel entirely unsympathetic to your complaint. Have a good day.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

If you are stealing wifi to play, have a small child that you need to continually stop to attend to during matches, or live where your powers drops multiple times a day, either:

1. don’t que ranked. Go to hot join.
  2. have a “special” division for these type of players.

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

If you are stealing wifi to play, have a small child that you need to continually stop to attend to during matches, or live where your powers drops multiple times a day, either:

1. don’t que ranked. Go to hot join.
  2. have a “special” division for these type of players.

This is the only thing I can agree with Faux Play on. But this feeds directly to what I was saying about other competitive pvp games on the market that suspends players likes these from Ranked Que for “Feeding or handing the other team a Win” Only in GW2 is this type of behavior is allowed and encouraged in a Ranked PvP setting.

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

How about having a new soloq guy loading in the map when someone DCed/Rage quit?

And… why not freezing one guy, until that new one come into play?

How about everyone have their own MMR rating clearly shown and see how it is affected when they lost at 100 and when they lost at 400, so they understand that working their MMR means to lose by the smallest margin possible?

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

This thread again? Lol, like I said before you can not do anything about AFKers unless you punish players for Feeding at the same time. You don’t like it then join a 5 man pre made.

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

I’d rather have them friggin lose a bunch of pips. they are litterall kittening cancer. those that afk or dc on purpose ofcourse because u got wiped etc. I hate them with a passion. People should learn that behaviour that is anti social, manipulates the outcome of the match intensionally with other means then participation should be punished or we will have players thinking that these kind of behaviour is acceptable and in worse cases, blame the victim or victims instead of themselves.

However I do see sme merit in combinging extremely heavy punishment with the suggestions jourdelune made. they are actuall suggestion that could help out the problem. However AFK’er still need to have an extremely heavypunishment so that they won’t just think. Oh well me doing nothing will just find a replacement and or the other team will just have one of those guys frozen.

While decent solutions. It should not be normalized One kittening AFK’er should not cause me to be frozen because that kitten kid couldn’t be grown up enough to play the game to the end.

I think that showing your own personal MMR would also help and give afk’er insight and show them what the results are of their actions. It might be an eye opener and maby even show them that they are not even that good as they think and prompt them to do better. At the same time it should not be made public cause it might prompt one to AFK from the start because thier mmr is not high enough.

Afk’ers will think twice before leaving the game. Not only do they get a heavy punishment, they will also get truth bombed and realize that thier ’’sucky’’ teammates is all on them and not matchmaking system.

But man what do I absolutely hate AFK’ers. I detest them. Nothing as annoying as having your trust in your comrade broken, bieng betrayed by that scum, Losing most if not all control over the match seeing a potentiall good match thrown in the gutter. killing oppurtunity to be rewarded for your hard work, killing the ability to improve in a 5 man teambased game. They are trash. No bad player can kitten me of more then an Afk’er and trust me I’ve hadmy share. we litterally lost by when we were in the lead by 440 ish 200. (Can’t exactly force a decap when u are playing a bunker guard, Have 3 thiefs who at the end stopped going for decaps and zerged mid only to die and a auramancer who like me couldn’t do much else either).And I in return had my bad days and was the bad player. It’s called having responsibility and owning up to your mistakes and showing empathy. No player, plays at thier best every kittening time for 100 percent, even the best will kitten up something or make a mistake. Personally would like them for not to play the game at all but I know that’s not a logical solotution.that’s just my hate speaking.

(edited by Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318)

in PvP

Sinmir.6504

The idea of replaving them with a queuing player would be fine, maybe give the guy a choice to decline without getting dishonour and his place back in the queue after the match if he accepts.
I don’t agree with freezing a player in the other team. Been so long since I did Conquest but say your doing Temple, Is it 8:30 for Tranquility? Say it’s 8:40 left, somebody disconnects on the other team, your running to get to where Tranquility appears, next thing you know your frozen.
Or 12 mins 5 secs to go in Stronghold, your heading towards the mist essence that is about to be you will soon be able to commune with. Guy in the other team DCs, you freeze. Enemy comes and communes at 11:45 left, replacement arrives at 11:30. It was by right yours, you would have got it before the enemy reached you to knock you off and you didn’t even get a chance to fight them for it. All because of an AFKer on the other team. Things happen at certain times in matches and getting frozen can really mess things up.

in PvP

Posted by: Dyze.1580

Dyze.1580

I really don’t get how people are upset at AFKers. Personally I’d much rather have AFKers in my team, than try-hards that just prolong the inevitable.

Most matches the winner is clear before the match starts and if the “lose” team doesn’t manage to do a good start? well it’s going to be rough seas. Its much more rewarding at this point to simply just afk and let the other guys win, than struggle on for 7-10minutes with a 300-500 lose.

Sure, I’ve been in a few matches that’s turned around and won, even after a bad start, even after trailing by 200+ points. But those are rare, and you can usually size up the potential of those kinds of turn-overs. The other 9 out of 10 “lose” teams just doesn’t have it in them to turn it around. Making the effort simply not worth it.

At that point you should punish the try-hards rather than the AFKers, because at least the AFKers are helping the team.

However. The solution to the problem is very easy to grasp. Reward. reward reward reward. the pvp system, especially the ranked matches, are flawed because the only reward is winning. There is nothing to keep you fighting in a losing match.
The only reward for a losing team is to lose as fast as possible and gain the small conciliation prize reward track progression.
This is why people AFK. Because it’s the 2nd best reward for playing a pvp match. Winning is top reward and losing really quickly is the second best.

If you want people to keep fighting, you need to change the second best reward.
This needs to be either,
Don’t lose a Pip over a certain range, say 300+
match-based challenges that either reward pip lose safety and/or higher reward track gains.
Add reward track gain based on team score. Winning 2k, close lose 1,5k, wide lose 1k, blowout ,5k.

Rewards and incentive will help nurture a better player base. Using the stick to punish will never improve things.

p.s
The freezing idea seems like a good idea from afar, especially if it freezes the entire match and match clock until the new player arrives. However.
Would you want to join a losing team, that’s 150 vs 400 in score in a ranked game?
I seriously doubt anyone would want that. The only incentive at that point would also be to not lose pips if you’re a joining player. Because you’re always going to get thrown into a losing match.

Though.. thinking about it for a bit.. that could also be a way to redeem lost pips. Imagine losing a game and a pip, after which you’re allowed to sign up for a replacement queue and join anyone that leaves a lower tiered match. Giving the losing team a second wind by inviting a higher tier player to take the spot of the one that leaves. If you help and manage to win at that point you’ll get two pips.
hmmm, idk maybe that’s crap.

anyway, the way to break the AFKers is to break the problem with the second best reward of losing quickly. Add incentive for losing.

in PvP

Posted by: Boot.7368

Boot.7368

AFK/leaver punishments should be escalating, not outright heavy/very strict.
We also need a sytem that tracks player movement to determine whether or not somebody is actively moving/using skills while sitting in base to prevent the afk tag but do so to the detriment of others in the game (because some kittens are in fact doing that).

To begin with, remaining players in the AFKer’s side already don’t lose pips if somebody has akitten for some seconds (i think like 50-70) + don’t forget that, a player will receive 2 pips after ending a 3(or more)-loss streak, which is freaking great and should not be overlooked. So it is not THAT bad. In fact, it is already vastly superior to other games’ existing systems.

Bonus for remaining players in the losing side? At the very least these players should not lose MMR and maybe something receive small like an extra chest or dye. If you leave the (at the time) 4v5 game, you should not be eligible for the dye or chest.

Escalating punishment: Game should track frequency of AFK/leaves per player over a particular period of time.
Disconnecting once or twice a month should not kitten somebody’s account track record. Nor should it get them banned for 24 hours.
However, a person who consistently AFKs/leaves should be properly kittened.

Disclaimer: Yes, some people consistently disconnect (DC) and it isn’t their fault. Don’t queue ranked then. It isn’t our fault either. And, if it was to weigh the “fault level” between DC-ing person and the other 4, the other 4 are definitely on the “not at fault” side of things more than the DC-er.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

We have a dishonour system that seems solid. Just use it on AFK playes. It´s cumulative and the system already recognizes it and prefers to match dishonoured persons.
So each time a payer AFK´s or leaves a ranked match put dishonour on him. If it´s a bad connection and happens once it´s not a big issue.

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

We also need a sytem that tracks player movement to determine whether or not somebody is actively moving/using skills while sitting in base to prevent the afk tag but do so to the detriment of others in the game (because some kittens are in fact doing that).

To begin with, remaining players in the AFKer’s side already don’t lose pips if somebody has akitten for some seconds (i think like 50-70) + don’t forget that, a player will receive 2 pips after ending a 3(or more)-loss streak, which is freaking great and should not be overlooked. So it is not THAT bad. In fact, it is already vastly superior to other games’ existing systems.

Bonus for remaining players in the losing side? At the very least these players should not lose MMR and maybe something receive small like an extra chest or dye. If you leave the (at the time) 4v5 game, you should not be eligible for the dye or chest.

Escalating punishment: Game should track frequency of AFK/leaves per player over a particular period of time.
Disconnecting once or twice a month should not kitten somebody’s account track record. Nor should it get them banned for 24 hours.

Disclaimer: Yes, some people consistently disconnect (DC) and it isn’t their fault. Don’t queue ranked then. It isn’t our fault either. And, if it was to weigh the “fault level” between DC-ing person and the other 4, the other 4 are definitely on the “not at fault” side of things more than the DC-er.

Ok but now lets speak with logic now. 10 players get in a ranked match. Now 2 out of the 5 players on one team are either trolling their teammates or just don’t have a clue on how to PvP at all. So now those two players just run far and “INSTANTLY” die to one player. Ok no problem they died once…nope they continued to go from spawn just to die to that one player over and over and over again. Ok now score is 25 – 200 with the same two players continuing to run and die. So now one of the players on the team bares witness to the two knuckle heads and decides, no matter how well he/she can do they can only hold one point at best while the other two are feeding the enemy team kills and points on the score. So he/she decides to just AFK.

Ok after reading that are you still willing to punish the person for AFKing for the remainder of that match? Or are you willing to temporary purge these two players from Ranked queue, based on the video evidence that they lost the team the match far before said player started to afk during that match?

Here is a quote from the most renowned war specialist.

“There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed.”
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

But at least I admit it!

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

in PvP

Sinmir.6504

Ok but now lets speak with logic now. 10 players get in a ranked match. Now 2 out of the 5 players on one team are either trolling their teammates or just don’t have a clue on how to PvP at all. So now those two players just run far and “INSTANTLY” die to one player. Ok no problem they died once…nope they continued to go from spawn just to die to that one player over and over and over again. Ok now score is 25 – 200 with the same two players continuing to run and die. So now one of the players on the team bares witness to the two knuckle heads and decides, no matter how well he/she can do they can only hold one point at best while the other two are feeding the enemy team kills and points on the score. So he/she decides to just AFK.

Ok after reading that are you still willing to punish the person for AFKing for the remainder of that match? Or are you willing to temporary purge these two players from Ranked queue, based on the video evidence that they lost the team the match far before said player started to afk during that match?

“There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed.”

That would be worse case if two players are running like moths to a flame into a point that is just being defended by one player. I’ve seen people stay in base though when the score is leaning towards the other team winning. That’s what people don’t like. Leans the enemies way, ok, no more point in playing, no point in trying to make a comeback. Earlier today I was in a match that looked like the enemy was going to win from the beginning. They were ahead on points, our outer gate was down quickly. We got theirs own later, both inner gates stood strong for most of the match. Although it looked like the match was theirs for the first 12 minutes none of us gave up. About 3 minutes left we overtook with points, got their inner gate down while ours stood for the rest of the match. Ended up about 90 points ahead then killed their lord with 30 seconds left, though with the difference in points we would have won by time up even if we hadn’t killed the lord.
If 2 players are running like moths to a flame and it’s 25-200 then maybe it’s fair to AFK and save time, if it’s just leaning one way then theres always the chance of turning it around.

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

That would be worse case if two players are running like moths to a flame into a point that is just being defended by one player. I’ve seen people stay in base though when the score is leaning towards the other team winning. That’s what people don’t like. Leans the enemies way, ok, no more point in playing, no point in trying to make a comeback. Earlier today I was in a match that looked like the enemy was going to win from the beginning. They were ahead on points, our outer gate was down quickly. We got theirs own later, both inner gates stood strong for most of the match. Although it looked like the match was theirs for the first 12 minutes none of us gave up. About 3 minutes left we overtook with points, got their inner gate down while ours stood for the rest of the match. Ended up about 90 points ahead then killed their lord with 30 seconds left, though with the difference in points we would have won by time up even if we hadn’t killed the lord.
If 2 players are running like moths to a flame and it’s 25-200 then maybe it’s fair to AFK and save time, if it’s just leaning one way then theres always the chance of turning it around.

It’s not even close to a worst case that’s actually was pretty common in my last Ranked PvP matches mid Ranked Season 2 and the select few games I’ve played at the start of Ranked Season 3[say15 games all of season 3 total played]. Which is why I absolutely atm am disgusted at even entertaining the thought of playing GW2 sPvP other then for titles.

Worst case I’ve ran into is getting on a team of solo queues that just die over and over again and say “I’m sorry I’ve been lagging all day long connection problems.”in RANKED Matches! And then start screaming and yelling at me for guarding our lord after a score of 20 – 275, because you know I’m not AFKing if I’m protecting a objective after all lord is a objective. It’s why I love Foefire. I do make sure to tell them of my 2nd monitor and the show I’ve started watching for the remainder of the match.

People in Ranked PvP that use the excuse of learning a class should be highly shunned. Ranked PvP should not be a testing nor a trolling grounds. Most of the other pvp dev teams deal with such behavior with the swift punishment of suspension from Ranked Queue. But since GW2 don’t you now have highly disgruntled players or players that can find other things to do during a no way in winning match. That why the AFK problem is such a big problem in GW2 more then anywhere else I’ve seen punish either trolls or players that just don’t belong in a Ranked PvP setting.

But at least I admit it!

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

ITs a good point , but it´s usualy not aplicable to 99% of the matches.
We or at least i talk about a system that puts dishonour to players that AFK or leave.
Normaly this is not a big issue. It happed to me due to my client dying on the join screen and i got 3 mins of. Don´t care one dishonour that happens due to RL or system failjure.
It´s about people that do this regulary. The should accumulate dishonour and thus been placed more with people of their kind and also see their timouts going up …
If they throw two matches an eavening and do this again next day, they can enjoy their RL for the next hours …
I had an unranked match yesterday where two disconected fast without the game beining decided and then one Akitten … Was my first one and i did´t play another after this … If i go to a match i do it to play and if i go into ranked i do it to try hard and win. Don´t play otherwise, we all want to have fun.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Since the ranked season ended, unranked is full of the people who used to be super toxic and afk or instantly quit in ranked…but now doing it in unranked as well.

I’d love to see a league style reporting system where a certain number of reports in a set period results in automatic bans, but frankly the size of the pvp population is unlikely to support it. Perhaps a special low priority queue for them, where toxic players get matched with other toxic players.

As it is these people are likely to drive more and more people away as nobody likes playing a game where you’re effectively 2/3 v 5 because the rest of your team decided to kitten off at 30 points down after declaring “unwinnable game, kittening noobs”.

Combine a better reporting and punishment system with a resign vote system if you’re >150 points down and that may help somewhat but honestly I think the GW2 community is just irredeemably small with a larger than average number of highly toxic players.

in PvP

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

Nobody likes to play with teammates who say Oh it’s unranked we don’t care about capping points or winning either, so AFK is the only thing to do when you are a person who plays to capture points and try to win and get put on a team with people who don’t have the same intentions. I can’t count how many times I’ve been told by my teammates since ranked has ended that hey we’re in unranked so we don’t care about winning so just shut the F up and do w/e… I don’t play to lose so if my teammates are and also are being rude and cursing me out when I ask them to help capture points, I’m sorry but I’m gonna afk and wait for the next match. Also I’m like 99% sure that there’s still people in pvp who don’t even know what a point is and that you should be standing on it, I haven’t seen as many in unranked though as I do now that ranked isn’t around. Some one should make a tutorial for new players to let them know exactly what you are supposed to do in pvp and maybe make it into a movie type thing so they can understand it better, and put in a link some where where they can find decent builds cuz it’s crazy how fast some teams die over and over and over and over and over until the match finally ends.

(edited by Ellie.5913)