Want PvP to be MOBA-like or not?

in PvP

Posted by: Brix.8461

Brix.8461

Would you like PvP to be more or less MOBA-like?

Global Social Media, ESL
http://eslgaming.com

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

GW2 is already past launch and leaps and bounds from anything like a MOBA.

It would take them a year~ to get the game to be more MOBA-like… and no matter how well they do it, MOBAs would have done it better.

By then everyone would have left to some other game.

in PvP

Posted by: Barradin.3164

Barradin.3164

You mean in terms of new gametypes? I can understand why they’d try to push the experience in that direction since everyone wants a slice of that LoL pie right now, but Gw2 is just too different.

I mean if we’re assuming here that conquest is a sinking ship, adopting dota philosophies or even the gametype wholesale (which I doubt will happen) sounds like the complete wrong direction.

If you think about it, isn’t that what they originally tried to do with conquest anyway? Split/skirmish heavy combat in a 5v5 setting. And conquest hasnt resonated with a lot of people at all.

I’d much prefer a shift back to the gamemodes we saw in Gw1. Emphasis on a specific objective, distinct player roles and teamplay. Matches with actual pacing – where the action rises and falls rather than map wide fever pitch all game.

Class balance and the combat itself were really weak in the first game, but GvG was a solid gametype. It seems a shame to me we traded one for another. I also find it odd that conquest is considered superior because ‘’You should always be able to see who’se winning’’.

On the one hand we can see the clear progession of a team to victory represented on the battlefield. At a glance you can see which team is closer to the others base or Lord.

And in the other hand we have the winners decided by an abstract numerical counter on the UI. Constant action split across the entire map. Even seasoned PvPers will have trouble putting those numbers into real world terms at a glance, letalone casual spectators.

I digress.

I think it was a push toward MOBA that crippled the game at launch, and wholeheartedly want to see Gw2 return to the philosophies that once made the franchise so strong.

in PvP

garethh.3518

I think it was a push toward MOBA that crippled the game at launch, and wholeheartedly want to see Gw2 return to the philosophies that once made the franchise so strong.

It’s the company, they are very bad.
They are incapable of tweaking a game to be more enjoyable.
They can only balance.

That will sink any game short of one lucky enough to be all but balanced, out of the block.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

So gw2 should be multiplayer online game where players fight in arena. If they remove www and PvE then gw2 is moba-like.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think conquest is a terrible gametype, and I think if they had consulted/tested more widely before launching with it, PVP might not be in the sorry state it’s in.

I think the challenge for the PVP team is to be a lot more open & experimental with game mode testing to find out what works, and not to be too dogmatic and dismissive of unconventional/untested ideas that go against the grain.

Case in point: the entire MOBA genre, Team Fortress 2, CS (among others) were all game modes created by players not professional game designers per se.

Anet even already have support for trial modes in the form of Custom Arenas, which to date have been another failed experiment IMO primarily because the options are so limited.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in PvP

Posted by: Barradin.3164

Barradin.3164

It’s the company, they are very bad.
They are incapable of tweaking a game to be more enjoyable.
They can only balance.

That will sink any game short of one lucky enough to be all but balanced, out of the block.

‘’They are very bad and incapable’’ isn’t exactly constructive.

You’re right, except for all the condi atm the classes ARE very well balanced and the combat IS very engaging.

I see no reason why they cant focus on an actual fun gametype now and pull the scene out of the red.

We could have the best of both worlds and something truly phenominal.

This push towards moba was responsible for conquest and it hasn’t worked.

in PvP

garethh.3518

‘’They are very bad and incapable’’ isn’t exactly constructive.

What?
And you seriously think this thread, no, the entire forums, are more than ‘PR by Anet’?
lolol

Anyways, if you want to take this seriously, the first step to fixing any problem is realizing what the problem is…
We could, and there have been, long well dicussed threads detailing major issues, but they mean nothing if the issue doesn’t know how to listen to the forums.
They mean nothing if the issue is Anet.
The issue is Anet.

You’re right, except for all the condi atm the classes ARE very well balanced and the combat IS very engaging.

Next to every competitive player didn’t leave just because of conquest.
You may think that the combat is engaging, but just know, you’re not in the majority by any stretch of the imagination.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Game mode should be simple and there should be only one objective. When i play hot join i notice that there is all kind of useless kitten which just ruin whole match. Like some orb, stillness??, treb, some skyhammer mass destruction weapon, some mobs, keep lord and so on. Then everybody just do their own thing and everything is just one big mess.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Brix.8461

Game mode should be simple and there should be only one objective. When i play hot join i notice that there is all kind of useless kitten which just ruin whole match. Like some orb, stillness??, treb, some skyhammer mass destruction weapon, some mobs, keep lord and so on. Then everybody just do their own thing and everything is just one big mess.

I actually disagree, I definitely think that they got something good with having a secondary objective in play. They may have to rethink the secondary objectives but I think it should stay.
UNLESS they add a gamemode like deathmatch, then I don’t find a secondary objective very suitable.

Global Social Media, ESL

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I think conquest is a terrible gametype, and I think if they had consulted/tested more widely before launching with it, PVP might not be in the sorry state it’s in.

They were told prior to release.

One of the alpha testers actually got removed from subsequent testing (won’t link due to reprisals) for arguing how conquest made the focus on capping not fighting and how things was a bad game type to focus on.

Elements within the PvP team were told but seemingly stuck their fingers in their ears and went ‘lalalalalalalala’.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

i dont like moba

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

As for a MOBA gamemode I’d say no, but having a new gamemode with a team-based primary objective (like killing the base in Dota) could be a good idea.
If you are referring to how the combat and skills work, then yes, because that is basically getting rid of spam and introducing skillful play.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

They should strive to create a Game Mode that’s based on the game’s strengths and mechanics, not try to copy something else.

This also applies to all of these MMOs that want’s to be WoW, which arguably pretty much all have failed miserably…

It’s still possible to make something similar to a Dota-style Game mode. But some of the big things that makes those type of games work will likely have to be replaced to fits GW2. Actually, the best way to say it might be to take inspiration from Dota-style games and make something new that works great.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

(edited by Phadde.7362)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

moba with normal skill setup DONT work

MMORPG Combat is more complex than moba or fps game combat and in MMORPG´s people wanna use there skills and spells to fight people. Extra complex objectives are not good for this.
Im sure they could make an moba Activity with only 5 skills or something but i dont think we rly need this.

Gamemodes in MMORPGS should fokus on combat – not on objectives

edit: but i dont say they should not have objectives^^ – i was talking about the fokus when create a new gamemode should be on combat than on objectives

(edited by Romek.4201)

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.7382

Michael.7382

No for MOBA type.

Champion: >| Illusionist | Shadow | Phantom | Legionnaire | Magus | Hunter |<
r[5x] tPvP onlY.
|>>> 2000+ Tournament Matches won, still rising <<<|

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

edit: but i dont say they should not have objectives^^ – i was talking about the fokus when create a new gamemode should be on combat than on objectives

Yeah, less focus on the objective, unless the objective is to kill people. Want something where you combat skills to kill and support allies is all that really matters.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

No.

in PvP

Brix.8461

i dont like moba

Me neither, that’s why I don’t want this game to go towards a moba-like game.

Global Social Media, ESL

in PvP

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

Better erase the pvp from this game and create something new.

Cant build nothing good on dead corpses.

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

yes plz i want this game to be like a moba so i can blame others when i screw up becouse thats the moba games mentality rigth?

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

No. If I want MOBA, I go play MOBA. There is already plenty of them.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

No, I hate MOBA games. They’re worse than conquest. It’s like conquest with level grinding and PvE mobs.

Why would anyone want that in their PvP game?

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

No, I hate MOBA games. They’re worse than conquest. It’s like conquest with level grinding and PvE mobs.

This ^

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

I’m against a moba game, but a moba map would be cool. As long as there’s no skill/level progression, I think it would be a good option just to have on top of TDM and CTF, which are the game modes that Anet seems to be leaning towards based of the now locked collaborative pvp thread.

Maybe something along the lines of fighting for control of a tower (which promotes more fighting) and that remains in control for the capping team for a period of time, like 3-5 minutes on top of providing a small buff like +15-25 to all stats during that time, but if you don’t gain control of the next tower, you lose that buff and the opposing team can regain control of the capped tower. I think that would promote a lot of team coordination. Loosely based on Strand of the Ancients in WoW, but two sided. But yeah, I would hate having to start with just an auto-attack and have to earn my other skills/utilities or having to “level those abilities up.” That’s what turns me off from moba games. That and last hitting for gold.

in PvP

Brix.8461

Exactly!

Global Social Media, ESL

in PvP

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

No, never… There are a lot of MOBA games to play , if I wanted to play MOBA I would be in League of legends.