Warrior Sword Trade Condi for Damage?

in PvP

Posted by: Robin Skyshroud.1863

Robin Skyshroud.1863

Since guild wars 1, I always played sword – no one can convince me otherwise because the sword had more consistant DPS and had many offence and defensive capabilities. I’m still playing sword and shield to this very day in Guild Wars 2.

However, unlike Guild Wars 1, GW2 makes sword an ONLY condition damage play style weapon. I’ve tried using sword as a direct source of DPS, but the numbers are quite displeasing compared to ALL melee weapons a warrior can use — unbelievably the mace can hit higher numbers than a sword. Final Thrust is the only high Damage skill the sword has but its activation time is extremely slow that even my grandma can run away from it.

Has the Anet team considered changing sword to be a pure DPS play style and having the bleed condition be applied from a skill, just like the Long Bow can? Seeing how condition damage is in this game, dealing damage solely on bleed is not viable. I rather trade my bleed for some better sword swings.

What does the community think about the Warrior’s Sword?
Does it need a buff?
Should we be able to play how we want or shall we continue to be forced to play as condition damagers?

(edited by Robin Skyshroud.1863)

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Since guild wars 1, I always played sword – no one can convince me otherwise because the sword had more consistant DPS and had many offence and defensive capabilities. I’m still playing sword and shield to this very day in Guild Wars 2.

However, unlike Guild Wars 1, GW2 makes sword an ONLY condition damage play style weapon. I’ve tried using sword as a direct source of DPS, but the numbers are quite displeasing compared to ALL melee weapons a warrior can use — unbelievably the mace can hit higher numbers than a sword. Final Thrust is the only high Damage skill the sword has but its activation time is extremely slow that even my grandma can run away from it.

Has the Anet team considered changing sword to be a pure DPS play style and having the bleed condition be applied from a skill, just like the Long Bow can? Seeing how condition damage is in this game, dealing damage solely on bleed is not viable. I rather trade my bleed for some better sword swings.

Does it need a buff?
Should we be able to play how we want or shall we continue to be forced to play as condition damagers?

To answer your questions:

1.) Sword (from what I gather) is fine where it’s at, given the number of weapons warriors have access to.
2. ) They don’t really need a buff. Maybe an adjustment (swap CD for damage kind of thing)
3.) This one is a bit tricky to answer without coming off mean so I apologize in advance. The weapons are what Anet made (as you are aware) so that includes sword. You are choosing to stay with sword, thus you are not being forced by anyone other than yourself to play as a “condition damager” If you were going DPS (which you want to by the sounds of it), and you are sticking to sword, that seems more like a personal choice that you must deal with as you are clearly aware there are better DPS choices.

Sword was set up as a condi hybrid weapon, not pure DPS. I suggest to try to get along with other weapon (mace or axe). I used to play warrior all the time pre HoT and some berserker so maybe a more current warrior/berserker main could chime in with more information.

Hope you find a happy medium and hope to see you on the playing field

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: Robin Skyshroud.1863

Robin Skyshroud.1863

Does it need a buff?

1.) Sword (from what I gather) is fine where it’s at, given the number of weapons warriors have access to.
2. ) They don’t really need a buff. Maybe an adjustment (swap CD for damage kind of thing)
3.) This one is a bit tricky to answer without coming off mean so I apologize in advance. The weapons are what Anet made (as you are aware) so that includes sword. You are choosing to stay with sword, thus you are not being forced by anyone other than yourself to play as a “condition damager” If you were going DPS (which you want to by the sounds of it), and you are sticking to sword, that seems more like a personal choice that you must deal with as you are clearly aware there are better DPS choices.

Sword was set up as a condi hybrid weapon, not pure DPS. I suggest to try to get along with other weapon (mace or axe). I used to play warrior all the time pre HoT and some berserker so maybe a more current warrior/berserker main could chime in with more information.

I totally understand that I can switch to a whole different weapon, and I do. I guess this game will always be less customizable and less flexible than gw1.

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Does it need a buff?

I totally understand that I can switch to a whole different weapon, and I do. I guess this game will always be less customizable and less flexible than gw1.

That is something more people need to realize

I find its healthier when you don’t compare gw1 to gw2. Some things were better on one than the other and vice versa. Also I hope i didn’t come off as too mean

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: GunnarMare.9218

GunnarMare.9218

It works pretty well with power amulets if you use it as kiting/chasing weapon and use the burst to lock opponent in place to land 100b or something else hard hitting. Also, with berserker amulet I have hit like 10k with final thrust on casters.