Weapons You Never See in PvP/WvW

in PvP

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

There are plenty of weapons in this game that are underwhelming, but there are a few that are literally never seen. Tell me about weapons that are never used.
Guardian Torch: I think I’ve seen torch guardian once in 4 years.
All Warrior offhands that are not shield/torch/warhorn/sword: I don’t think I’ve ever seen an axe or mace offhand. Maybe once in WvW on a new player.
Offhand swords: All offhand swords are the same (mediocre block + interesting skill). Warrior sword is the only one I ever see, and even that is a rare occasion.
Ranger axe: I can’t even remember if rangers have an offhand axe, but if they do, I’ve never seen it, but I also only see mainhand axe once in a blue moon, so that’s pretty forgettable too.
Did I miss anything?

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

(edited by Cecilia.5179)

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I think guardian torch saw some play when burning was stackable.
Warrior warhorn was a vital component of celestial shout war.
Necro axe I think never saw any serious place.
Mainhand ranger axe also saw some play in condi ranger.
I suppose engi offhand pistol was something I saw once in a blue moon.

EverythingOP

in PvP

Cecilia.5179

I forgot about warhorn on warrior. That’s super common in WvW. I’ll edit that.
Engi offhand pistol was actually on meta battle for what condi engis should use last patch iirc.

Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Necro: Axe/Focus/dagger offhand/Greatsword

Ranger: Axe/Axe offhand/warhorn/shortbow

If you saw someone try these: it was me.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

You cant say any of this for WvW because there are tons of different builds you will see like perma stealth rangers/engys/thieves.

Like i run axe/warhorn and staff on my necro and then my guild mate runs greatsword staff on his necro. I dont know if they nerfed it but he uses wells on his necro and he took kitten of him doing 26k damage to a downed person with GS skill 2 i think in WvW.

I can answer this easy for PvP, axe off hand warrior, sword for thief, necro GS, ranger warhorn boom done.

in PvP

Cecilia.5179

Idk, I never see any of the ones I posted in WvW. I saw greatsword Necro once or twice in WvW, but there’s an exception to every rule.

#CleanTheSlate

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

You will see an engineer with a shield about as often as you find actual hackers in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

You will see an engineer with a shield about as often as you find actual hackers in PvP.

Bro engi can’t use shields. That’s just a myth. L2p

:P

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I remember when I started playing this game 2 years ago, engi shield was considered the best shield in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Mesmer focus or offhand sword. Neither is particularly useful in pvp. Elementalist warhorn is almost never used.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Off hand ranger axe is actually awesome and very under valued.

The “meta battle syndrome” stops players from experimenting/using alternative options. At this point, you could straight up lie about a build being good on meta battle and people would start running it without ever questioning it.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I don’t get this list….

I have a sword/axe ranger, I also have a Warrior with shouts and offhand warhorn.

My power Mesmer runs offhand sword for block/daze and spike damage.

All builds will make use of a weapon at some stage, it might not be in the META but there are players who know their builds well enough not to use META and get creative instead, focusing on a primary playstyle. Engies for example still use Pistol/Shield for burn based builds.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Cecilia.5179

I don’t get this list….

I have a sword/axe ranger, I also have a Warrior with shouts and offhand warhorn.

All builds will make use of a weapon at some stage, it might not be in the META but there are players who know their builds well enough not to use META and get creative instead, focusing on a primary playstyle. Engies for example still use Pistol/Shield for burn based builds.

One person playing with those underused weapons does not change the fact that we never see them. The odds of us playing you are low.

#CleanTheSlate

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Purely because most people turn to metabattle for their builds instead of thinking outside the box. I don’t think it’s because the weapons are underpowered, but because there are better options.

Years ago I did run off hand sword on for Mesmer, it was actually a lot of fun, as was Necro Axe-Focus/x when spinal shivers trait was considered OP. Fun times, you know, before metabattle was popular, describing itself as “Communicating the best builds regardless of ‘fairness’ or ‘honor’”.

Kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

No, the reality is that certain builds work better than others. True, someone very familiar with a build can play well enough to overcome a disadvantage.

It’s sad, really. I have had to take up Sword/Shield and Staff on my Mesmers on both accounts. I dislike the style, but I need to not get trounced.

Now I play a light armored warrior instead of a proper Mesmer. ANET has spent years now trying to simplify builds and the game generally. They may ruin the game if they go too far.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

I don’t get this list….

One person playing with those underused weapons does not change the fact that we never see them. The odds of us playing you are low.

It’s not just me that doesn’t play meta, I get wrecked by pistol/shield burn engies quite a bit. I got Sword/Sword Mesmer build from someone else that again, wrecked me. A Warrior offhand warhorn has always been something seen in WvW too.

But like I said, I don’t get this list…. Those weapons like every weapon have builds and situations associated with them. Some are meant for PvE, others for PvP and others for mass groups.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

I never really see a sword teef in arenas. They swing like once or twice and get downed or just instantly die.

in PvP

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

There are plenty of weapons in this game that are underwhelming, but there are a few that are literally never seen. Tell me about weapons that are never used.
Guardian Torch: I think I’ve seen torch guardian once in 4 years.
All Warrior offhands that are not shield/torch/warhorn/sword: I don’t think I’ve ever seen an axe or mace offhand. Maybe once in WvW on a new player.
Offhand swords: All offhand swords are the same (mediocre block + interesting skill). Warrior sword is the only one I ever see, and even that is a rare occasion.
Ranger axe: I can’t even remember if rangers have an offhand axe, but if they do, I’ve never seen it, but I also only see mainhand axe once in a blue moon, so that’s pretty forgettable too.
Did I miss anything?

I haven’t played PVP in a long time so things may have changed, but I do play WVW quite a bit. So heres my list for grossly underused offhand weapons:

Necro: dagger offhand, used to see them quite a bit maybe 2-3 years ago, but now its a rarity, if at all.

Guardian: shield is still sub par to focus in defensive utility. Some gaurds (including myself) tried it out a bit after the most recent changes but it still falls very short of where it needs to be.

Guardian: Torch, same as necro dagger, seen a few of them 2-3 years ago, but just not lately.

Mesmer: Offhand Sword, there are jsut better options for just about every build and playstyle, so it gets unused.

Engi: offhand shield, same as above, seen them quite a bit couple years ago, but now the engi shield has next to zero synergy with scrapper spec and is sub-par in vanila engi builds.

Revenant: offhand shield, one of its abilities immobilizes you if you want to use it, making this weapon an overall liability rather then an asset so it sees almost no use.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I get wrecked by pistol/shield burn engies quite a bit.

There is no such thing a shield burn engi, because taking shield means you don’t have blowtorch.

Shield engi is probably the only weapon in the game that is truly never taken, every other weapon in the game usually has some niche builds that use then. Although I suppose some warrior offhands never get taken (like offhand mace)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Offhand sword revenant.

in PvP

Posted by: epouvante.7392

epouvante.7392

Rev: off hand sword
Mesmer: off hand sWord/focus, scepter
Ele: warhorn
Necro: greatsword, axe
War: off hand mace/sword/axe (because shield is so usefull)
Guard: all weapon are so nice, maybe torch because lack of defense
Ingi: shield
Ranger: offhand axe

in PvP

Posted by: UBcktieDL.5318

UBcktieDL.5318

As someone who played all classes:

War: Mace and Axe offhand: Mace offhand is just a worse version of shield. Axe 4 and 5 deal some good damage but not much more than Axe 1.
Guard: All weapons seem to be in a good spot, with exception of torch. Torch 4 is a good spell but torch 5 is garbage.
Revenant: I rarely see hammer in pvp. It is not a bad weapon set but many skills of rev hammer are really slow and easy to dodge. Also there are some bugs with hammer 2.

Ranger: Warhorn offhand. WH4 is useless, WH5 is given for free by a trait…
Thief: Sword mainhand. Sword seems just to be a weak version of staff.
Engineer: Rifle. Hammer just does everything better. Shield is also underused, the cd’s of shield skills are too high.

Elementalist: Dagger/Warhorn Offhand. Focus is just necessary for Ele in pvp now. Staff has it’s niche but taking dagger or warhorn offhand means no magnetic wave and obsidian flesh. These 2 skills are too important to give up.
Necro: Axe mainhand. It just sucks.
Mesmer: Focus offhand. Just compare it to shield: A stationary phantasm against 2 blocks with slow phantasms? And a single AoE Pull against 2*1,5s AoE Stun? There is no reason to ever take focus over shield. Even sword offhand has a useful block and a phntasm that actually deals damage.

in PvP

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

every class has mostly unused weapons due to balancing, and nerfs. here are some weapon combos(mainhand/offhand) i barely see at pvp/wvw.

s/a a/a a/m warrior
m/t s/t guardian
s/a revenant
sb a/a ranger
p/d s/d thief(rip)
engineer got so few weapons to have unused, but rifle has been overshadowed by hammer.
s/d elementalist
scep/s scep/sh mesmer
a/d gs necro

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

in PvP

Posted by: Koto.1824

Koto.1824

every class has mostly unused weapons due to balancing, and nerfs.

s/a a/a a/m warrior
m/t s/t guardian
s/a revenant
sb a/a ranger
p/d s/d thief(rip)
engineer got too few weapons to have non used.
s/d elementalist
scep/sw scep/sh mesmer
axe/dag gs necro

kitten that, too many acronyms

#1 Thief Antarctica
Still waiting for that Shield/Shield meta

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

I get wrecked by pistol/shield burn engies quite a bit.

There is no such thing a shield burn engi, because taking shield means you don’t have blowtorch.

Shield engi is probably the only weapon in the game that is truly never taken, every other weapon in the game usually has some niche builds that use then. Although I suppose some warrior offhands never get taken (like offhand mace)

Lol ok… You obviously see what I play against.

But hey, keep telling people what they experience, I’m sure it works great.

….. And Elementalist.