West coast players, ~100 ping WTF

in PvP

Posted by: WuGzaGenius.5684

WuGzaGenius.5684

All west coasters play with such a huge disadvantage… Server location cant be the only problem… Whats the reasoning?

There are many other games i play with servers in texas / far east united states but max ping i get from them is like 70-80…

The difference is so huge! especially when theres pre / post cast delays in this game it makes it ridiculous to try and keep up.

in PvP

Posted by: Darkalons.1764

Darkalons.1764

I play with 120-180 ping since launch due where I live, and I don’t do bad at all. While I agree that higher ping will at some point be a disadvantage, I don’t think 100 ping will do much.

Thanatos Arcana ~ Necro
Princess Ultear ~ Ele

in PvP

Posted by: NineNair.5238

NineNair.5238

As an asian player who used to play at 250-400ms when I was back at my country, and now playing on US server from the UK with 140-200ms ping.

I used to live in Austin Texas, and had experienced playing with low latency as well.
100ms is barely a disadvantage unless you play thief.

(edited by NineNair.5238)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Wow. If you are complaining about a 100 ping, you have issues. Newsflash: even if your ping was 70, it wouldn’t make you a much better player.

in PvP

WuGzaGenius.5684

I play with 120-180 ping since launch due where I live, and I don’t do bad at all. While I agree that higher ping will at some point be a disadvantage, I don’t think 100 ping will do much.

Im not saying we do bad, im saying we’re at a severe disadvantage.

in PvP

WuGzaGenius.5684

Wow. If you are complaining about a 100 ping, you have issues. Newsflash: even if your ping was 70, it wouldn’t make you a much better player.

There is a very noticeable difference.

in PvP

Posted by: MAN.9046

MAN.9046

do you know how how many puppies i’ll eat for constant 100 ping? i play this game at 160 ok, but ive tried it at 100 and there’s a world of difference

RIP
FeelsBadMan

in PvP

WuGzaGenius.5684

do you know how how many puppies i’ll eat for constant 100 ping? i play this game at 160 ok, but ive tried it at 100 and there’s a world of difference

Exactly, why is it so high?

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Haha. What nonsense that ping makes no difference. Ping is a huge factor. I used to play on NA while living in England. My gameplay was practically rehearsed. I played thief and I’d dodge half the time simply after pressing a few skills, and the other half in prediction of something important. Then, when I had no reason to be on NA anymore and switched to EU, I found I could actually use my dodges and evades in response to skills instead of trying to predict them. When I went back to NA briefly, I found I couldn’t even dodge earthquake. I could see it coming and press dodge, but I’d be hit at the same time the dodge animation started, and the hit would count.

That’s an extreme example.

A less extreme example: while on EU, I had 30-40 ping; at times it went up to 60-70, and I could tell. I would feel something was different, check my ping, and find it higher. Now, some people may not be that sensitive, especially when playing classes that don’t rely as much on quick reactions, but the fact is that 20-30ms does make a difference.

At a higher ping, you’ll get more dispute over this fact because it is closer to the point at which you can react in time or not based on those precious ms, and not everyone has the same reaction time, and different classes have different skills with different cast times that they would want to use in response. The average reaction time for humans is 250ms. If you have 100ms ping, and someone uses a skill with a 750ms cast time that you need to activate something in response to, you need 100ms again to send the response to the server, leaving you with 450ms to react - register it and decide what to do. If this is to dodge or use an instant cast skill, you have time even if the skill you’re reacting to had a 500ms cast time. But, if you need to use a 250ms cast time skill in response, it’ll take the average person 500ms to respond - 250ms average reaction time, and 250ms for the skill’s cast time. Now this isn’t completely accurate because the game engine does try to make up for lost time up to a point (obviously, it can’t rollback player’s actions to account for a packet sent from several game states ago), but the point is clear, and will apply in other scenarios. If you have quicker reactions of 220ms, you fall short by 20ms, thus, 20-30ms ping would make the difference. If you have slow reactions of 270ms, you would not only be further off from making the play, but you would be less sensitive to the ping difference and find that 20-30ms faster ping would be of little benefit. Similarly, if you are a more skilled player and had been anticipating the skill, you’d be more ready to react to it, meaning faster reactions, so the more skilled player would also feel the benefit of 20-30ms ping reduction, while less skilled players not anticipating it would react slower and therefore not have reacted in time with the ping reduction anyway.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

(edited by Impact.2780)

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Try playing with satellite internet. kitten and enjoy your 100 ping.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ve had satellite internet for years… I would not wish it upon my worse gaming rivals. For the record, you might get by playing fps games at 100 ping if you have 0 jitter. Don’t expect to get high on the ladders though.

At 160+ ping you’re basically limited to solo MMO games and casual pvp. You’re forced to cast skills before you actually have to. Your definition of “playable” will differ on a per player, per game, basis. For me, it was playable at 120-160 ping because I had no choice in the matter. It was just frustrating at times but eventually became second nature.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Hmm I play with 300 ping from Australia.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Hmm I play with 300 ping from Australia.

This. I play with 250-300 ping and you’re here complaining about 100? LMAO get real dude

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Im not saying we do bad, im saying we’re at a severe disadvantage.

Severe disadvantage? I play at 280ms if I’m lucky.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

FIRST

WORLD

PROBLEMS

in PvP

Posted by: Derm.4932

Derm.4932

Where on the west coast? I live in California and I usually average sub-70 ping. Unless you live in Washington it’s probably your internet

in PvP

Posted by: Lin.8905

Lin.8905

I always lol at these type of ‘bad ping’ posts. Just as funny the ‘’bad’ players in other timezones posts’.

If only you knew.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

You can be esports with < 15 fps and > 200 ping.