What Anet could learn from Overwatch.

in PvP

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

1. Overwatch has a Public Test Server or “Realm” which allows users to test changes that might eventually come to the Main Game.

2. Every other hero can kill every other hero. Although there are counters they are usually not as hard as GW2 has. Balance is pretty reasonable. People say it doesnt have as amny options which is why its easier to balance. I beg to differ. 23 Heros All with unique abilities. its true they cant be altered but 23 different combinations is still more complicated than what the current anet balance is. with most classes having 1 or 2 viable options.

3. Overwatch has a duel 1v1 mode, a 3v3 mode, and a few other modes on their PTR. This is amazing. After this change Im sold. Overatch has chosen the right path.

4. Blizzard has said they want to try radical changes on the ptr. (public test server) This is revolutionary.

So why can’t anet try some of these things? what is their business model? Are they actually a skeleton crew that can’t make such changes?

One thing I can understand is that Anet has to worry about PvE and PvP. But It seems like almost all of PVE content is doable on every build. Surely they can find a way to balance pvp without ruining the Raid experience.

I really hope for the best for this game, however, despite loving the mechanics of this game, I find myself gravitating to Overwatch.

(edited by Cobrakon.3108)

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Nobody cares for esports in gw2. deal with it

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

they can learn nothing. u do not know that 3 control pt + secondary objectives is the epitome of pvp? we already hav the best pvp an mmo can get. if this were not tru, then after 4 years i think we’d have something else to do in pvp than conquest

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Overwatch is PvP game whereas GW2 is a combination of PvE, WvW, and PvP. All three of which tend to require different builds although in some cases some builds can be shared. Balancing is also tremendously easier in Overwatch just based solely on there being only one gamemode.

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

You have few misconception about PvE. While it is true every build works in open world, not every build is viable in raid. And options is getting narrower following every patch because ANet is balancing against “OMG OP builds” in PvP/WvW. And…whether you like it or not, majority of the game hours spent by players is in PvE so their financial focus will be directed towards it.

Unless there is a drastic split in PvP/PvE/WvW, it’ll be very difficult to establish an effective PTR server in GW2.

Now some may argue that they did PvP/PvE split, but the difference is so laughable that it’s safe to say skills/traits are still tied up in those 2 realms. Whether this is due to understaff or lack of confidence is unknown, and it is only perpetuated by lack of communications between dev and players.

Indeed there are some lessons to learn from OW, but you need to adapt those theories to GW2 properly since this is an MMORPG.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s 2 different strategy.

Anet try to make as much money as possible from the Gem store while investing the minimum possible on the core game to keep it alive. It’s not wrong per say, it’s just disappointing for the players.

Blizzard invest big money on their core game to turn it into a phenomenon and collect bigger in the end.

When you think that for a whole year all that Anet has done for WvW is release 3 tags color and a siege disabler: they just had nobody at all working on WvW, their actual endgame. They still can’t make up their mind on WvW server merge while it should have been done 2 years ago.

As for PvP, why did they only make 1 stronghold map with the expansion? They are so afraid to miss than they can’t even commit to what they start.

GvG anyone? When your community is making their own game type learn to respect the players and reward them with your expansion. Instead they just killed the community with a skill-less meta that removed the fun.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

One thing I can understand is that Anet has to worry about PvE and PvP. But It seems like almost all of PVE content is doable on every build. Surely they can find a way to balance pvp without ruining the Raid experience.

I really hope for the best for this game, however, despite loving the mechanics of this game, I find myself gravitating to Overwatch.

Frankly I’m getting tired of seeing this come up. Yes all PvE content is technically doable on any build, but technically so is PvP. If you are at a high enough skill level over your opponent, you could kill them despite having an inferior build. Stop talking about technicalities and start talking about what actually happens. In PvE >90% of people run the same builds on their classes for the same content, the exact same way it is in PvP. Just because the PvE and PvP builds for classes are different doesn’t mean that most people in PvE aren’t running the exact same build as each other.

Back on topic though, Overwatch and GW2 are fundamentally different game types. If you want to play a PvP game then go play Overwatch, as GW2 is not a PvP game. Its a PvE game that offers a PvP option to attract more players. You simply cannot compare the two.

Secondly, despite having 23 different heroes, Overwatch heroes are locked to a specific build. How is that different from the 9 classes in GW2 being “locked” to 1 or 2 builds that have the most effectiveness? Its the exact same. If you want to play differently then you pick a different class. Just because GW2 has fewer classes than Overwatch does, doesn’t mean that we have more intra class diversity with the builds that are viable.

Third, the abundance of skill options in GW2 is part of the balance problem. If ANet buffs an underpowered trait/skill it could make some obscure build OP by accident, and with their atrocious balance patch schedule that would be very bad. Overwatch benefits from much, much easier balancing as they can immediately see the effect that a change has on the only possible build for each Hero. No guessing at what players will throw together, no trying to balance a weapon with multiple different traitlines that a player could take one or more of. GW2’s openness of skill choice is the biggest factor in why balancing it is hard as kitten.

Really the only comparison that you can draw is that Overwatch has more PvP game types, which I agree with you. That is something ANet could do better. They could also drop balance patches once a month instead of 4 times a year if we are lucky. We do need an official duel option, a 3v3 would be nice, and a larger brawl style would be awesome too (but way overpowered with elite specs). Or even a massive deathmatch, every player for themselves. But again, you are comparing a pure PvP game, which offers nothing but PvP, to a game with 3 fundamentally different game modes. In that regard, GW2 actually has far more diversity in what you can do in game.

TL;DR – You are trying to compare GW2 directly to a pure PvP game. You can’t do that for lots of reasons. If you want a pure PvP game go play Overwatch because GW2 is not and never will be a pure PvP game.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

One thing you don’t want to learn from Overwatch is some of their balance practices, they are putting ALOT of emphasis on CC and faster time to kill in the latest patches which can make for a less fun game overall.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

It’s 2 different strategy.

Anet try to make as much money as possible from the Gem store while investing the minimum possible on the core game to keep it alive. It’s not wrong per say, it’s just disappointing for the players.

Blizzard invest big money on their core game to turn it into a phenomenon and collect bigger in the end.

When you think that for a whole year all that Anet has done for WvW is release 3 tags color and a siege disabler: they just had nobody at all working on WvW, their actual endgame. They still can’t make up their mind on WvW server merge while it should have been done 2 years ago.

As for PvP, why did they only make 1 stronghold map with the expansion? They are so afraid to miss than they can’t even commit to what they start.

GvG anyone? When your community is making their own game type learn to respect the players and reward them with your expansion. Instead they just killed the community with a skill-less meta that removed the fun.

Investing the minimal amount on the game? You’re missing the revamp project they did in April, the two released living story updates, and also the expansion that they’re developing.

Stronghold is a new mode for PvP so it helps to be cautious. It paid off considering how PvP players ignore it. I for one am glad they didn’t spend more resources to develop maps for that mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

Nobody cares for esports in gw2. deal with it

^

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Gw2 sPvP’s problem isn’t the design or the devs, the problem is that gameplay wise it sits in the middle between traditional number based RPG gameplay, and reflex based area gameplay. There is a split in the PvP population between people that like more traditional mmorpg gameplay, and the people that want pure reflex gameplay.

People are trying to force sPvP to fit into their preconceptions about what a esport is. basically people are expecting a CS:GO experience out of gw2. Or people go the opposite way and are expecting a MOBA experience from gw2.
In reality gw2 is neither of those and thus fails both of those player’s expectations.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

2. Every other hero can kill every other hero. Although there are counters they are usually not as hard as GW2 has. Balance is pretty reasonable. People say it doesnt have as amny options which is why its easier to balance. I beg to differ. 23 Heros All with unique abilities. its true they cant be altered but 23 different combinations is still more complicated than what the current anet balance is. with most classes having 1 or 2 viable options.

I agree with that
They should un-nerf the auto attacks or Revs , and just like Thiefs Dagger/Sword/Pistol (spamm 3) auto attacks , any1 could do 5k damage (max 15k) in 1,5 sec to the enemies regadles of any the other skills .
GIVE ME 16K ON MY PISTOL SKILL 2 ……IF HAS 12 SEC CD kitten !!!!!!!!!
I DONT WANT TO ‘’CORRECLTY HIT’’ MORE TIMES FROM RANGE ….I WANT TO FEEL AN AK47 THAT MISSES FROM RANGE AND HAMERS FROM CLOSE … !!!!

4. Blizzard has said they want to try radical changes on the ptr. (public test server) This is revolutionary.

Tell them to implant the community ideas about balance :
‘’my class is fine , need a lot of skills to play , just buff the other’’
(or on a chubby hawaian coach language : ‘’the company should not nerf-buff constantly it will cause burnout to pro players)
1 year later: ’’why did you create such easy noobspecs , i quit and will play other games ’’
This will truly be revolutionary …trust me !

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

ANet simply needs to balance more often. Balance every 3 months just isn’t going to do it.

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

So you compare ego shooter game with mmo atcion game? there are both games.

Why not comapring donut with chips, there are also both foods.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

The reason why i don´t play overwatch or other “Shooters” is that there is no diversity.
You get a fixed toon and thats it. Of course balancing is much easier.

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

overwatch is a shortlived overhyped moneygrab garbage that exists to gravitate overly impressionable pseudo gamers towards itself so its ok that you and many other people like it so much

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

overwatch is a shortlived overhyped moneygrab garbage that exists to gravitate overly impressionable pseudo gamers towards itself so its ok that you and many other people like it so much

o.O wow

in PvP

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

Well, 50k+ viewers on Twitch at 11am on a Tuesday, GW2 has 300, BF1 has 6k. Short Lived? I don’t see that. You should see the numbers at primetime…

The Overwatch competitive scene is going very, very strong, and that’s worldwide. Pseudo gamers? You must be blind or deaf or not have internet? OW already has new Heroes, Arcade mode(in PTR mind you) with 1v1, 3v3 to name just a little bit. I like gw2 pvp and wvw, but we all know that everyone has been waiting for a couple yrs with baited breath for a new RvR/pvp mmo cause gw2 has been sloppy and mismanaged.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in PvP

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

ANet simply needs to balance more often. Balance every 3 months just isn’t going to do it.

Pretty much this. As for twitchy shooter games…lot of them are just too simple. Come around the corner head shot gg. I tend to be a fan of games where people can actually brawl decently.

Gw2 is that for the most part…just some balance issues. Shouldn’t be invincible bunkers and shouldn’t be 1 shot from stealth or 1500 range skills etc etc. Classes should still have to choose a balance of tank, gank, mobility, utility and range. Should be balanced separately for game modes.

in PvP

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

You mean “What Anet could learn from Blizzard.”, there has been ptr servers for WoW for years.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

Well, 50k+ viewers on Twitch at 11am on a Tuesday, GW2 has 300, BF1 has 6k. Short Lived? I don’t see that. You should see the numbers at primetime…

The Overwatch competitive scene is going very, very strong, and that’s worldwide. Pseudo gamers? You must be blind or deaf or not have internet? OW already has new Heroes, Arcade mode(in PTR mind you) with 1v1, 3v3 to name just a little bit. I like gw2 pvp and wvw, but we all know that everyone has been waiting for a couple yrs with baited breath for a new RvR/pvp mmo cause gw2 has been sloppy and mismanaged.

Overwatch is a game that is strictly PvP that was released like five months ago. Of course its numbers are going to be larger.

in PvP

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

Nothing should they learn from overwatch. It are 2 different games, if you like overwatch this much you should play there instead of asking Anet to make a clone of overwatch. Reading the competitive forum from Overwatch, bah it’s seems gw2 pvp mode is not that bad at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

GW is not overwatch. Beware throwing them into one pot.
GW needs more balance/diversity work.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Becuase outside of that overwatch is garbage. They chose to mimmick one of the most dumbed down fps of the past generation and so the game showed up with an insanely stale meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Nothing should they learn from overwatch. It are 2 different games, if you like overwatch this much you should play there instead of asking Anet to make a clone of overwatch. Reading the competitive forum from Overwatch, bah it’s seems gw2 pvp mode is not that bad at all.

The forums and general feel are ultra worse because gw2 is 5v5 conques, where you can carry to some extent. OW is more a push-pull type where you can lose the whole match in one instant.
Also the meta roles are more fixed, in gw2 everything from 4bruiser 1dps to 5dps can work….in OW you can have someone being literally useless if he misses his job, and dies in 2 seconds, in gw2 a braindead bunker will make a 2v1 already almost impossible to do consistently.

But that is how the game works, were talking about how devs do BALANCE.

a) Blizzard is normal fast and Anet is deadsnail slooooooow.
Hotfixes in 7 days max, and about once a month you get decent changes which are as impactfull as Anet 3month patches.

b) OW is being balanced for TOP TIER.
Any autoplay AI or bastion turrets are regarded as L2P. example the AI hero got greatly buffed recently, despite him being dominant on low tiers and console peasants.

At Anet we bow to the new player experience.
Thats lore > gameplay , ex. necro must feel slow even tho everything else that is clunky gets fixed.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

They don’t. Their core game is World of Warcraft and the balancing there is absolutely terrible. Overwatch is easy to balance as someone stated above already.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Another thing Blizzard is constantly making balance changes, like almost every week and they don’t care about making balance changes in the middle of pro tournaments either.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

balancing 3 game modes isnt an issue because they have tech to restrict class changes. Im more concerned about their technical abilities than anything else.

They dont know how to layout an interface.
So many of the skills glitch with the map
Forums apparently is not designed well enough (something about it not being good for Q and A) which is why devs constantly use reddit to communicate with players.
The game is horribly optimized

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

It also helps that Overwatch has clearly defined jousting, pushing, and a general tug of war which gives much more skillful play compared to communicate to focus, or rotate. While everyone is rocking builds designed to 2+v1.

Also balancing shouldn’t be this hard. If A-net cannot feasibly split the game modes, they should just balance around PvP, then balance PvE encounters around the numbers they have for PvP. AI doesn’t complain about balance, and players only complain about viabilit and meta, which you could tweak to make certain things more effective against the AI side. (e.g. if condi isn’t viable in an encounter, make it so the AI takes more dmg from the specific source.)

Also would help if the game was more GPU based than CPU intensive.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

anet would never learn from established working systems, thats against the law, instead they will just delete ur posts like they do mine LUL 4Head.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It also helps that Overwatch has clearly defined jousting, pushing, and a general tug of war which gives much more skillful play compared to communicate to focus, or rotate. While everyone is rocking builds designed to 2+v1.

Also balancing shouldn’t be this hard. If A-net cannot feasibly split the game modes, they should just balance around PvP, then balance PvE encounters around the numbers they have for PvP. AI doesn’t complain about balance, and players only complain about viabilit and meta, which you could tweak to make certain things more effective against the AI side. (e.g. if condi isn’t viable in an encounter, make it so the AI takes more dmg from the specific source.)

Also would help if the game was more GPU based than CPU intensive.

The game is primarily PvE. Most of the content is pure PvE, and most of the playerbase spends most of their time in PvE environments. Balancing primarily around PvP is what ANet did for a long time and it was kittening horrible. They need to balance completely separately for each game mode. I’m tired of my class being nerfed for no reason in PvE because it was too strong in PvP