What is stunting PvP's growth

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

So far, I see many many players using complete garbage builds.

ANet needs a way to give new players competent build. Without this, new spvp players will be farmed over and over again. Players of the same team will be angry with them.

There also needs to be a “Better Default Keybind” option that would change keybinds to be more efficient than the default. There needs to be tutorials on how to play them.

How can new players learn if their build and skills are bad?

New bloods cannot enjoy pvp if they go straight to downed state every time they leave spawn area.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Nick.7621

Nick.7621

There are many factors. No more solo Q, so you’re Q’d against 3-5 man premade. Lack of continuous balancing like other PvP based games have. MMR system doesn’t really work. No real leader boards until HoT, etc etc.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP: No build is going to carry a player. Instead there needs to be a place where near players can learn. Either give them a separate location or implement a matchmaking system that works.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Oh come on, if you do not know how to figure out your keybinds or find a good build, you shouldn’t be in pvp in the first place. Just use your brain, it’s that easy.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

@OP: No build is going to carry a player. Instead there needs to be a place where near players can learn. Either give them a separate location or implement a matchmaking system that works.

A viable build is way better than a crap build.

in PvP

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

How can new players learn if their build and skills are bad? .

it’s coming… https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-pvp-leagues/ don’t you worry it’s coming!

There also needs to be a “Better Default Keybind” option that would change keybinds to be more efficient than the default. There needs to be tutorials on how to play them.

That’s hard to do without a proper mouse, do you remember the poi in which rubi took away Hugh’s mouse and how she was laughing that he was still trying to hit the side buttons lol

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

(edited by RaGe.9834)

in PvP

Posted by: Necromonger.4970

Necromonger.4970

Take a look at dota – ingame guides and proper spectator mode, so you can actually learn the game by watching.

Oh and the game is boring to play – too much bunkering, sustain or stealth, if it’s not that it’ll be some cheesy build like condi mesmer.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Infrequent balance is hardly the big problem here.

The biggest issue are the incompetent matchup system and a bad hotjoin mode.

The matchup system tends to match players of very different skill levels together and ignores profession composition. As a result, player MMR can also be very erratic and make it even worse for future match making.

As for hot join, I think everyone agrees it is way too chaotic and unbalanced. It is likely what new players choose to play in the first place. The experience however is usually very bad. Players only learn to win by manipulating observer system.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

The fact the only queue for pvp can you put as a solo with other solos against a full arranged guild team.

The utter WORST decision made by anet was implementing that tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Who is going to pay the guy that would reprogramm starting build every time meta changes?
Even if new players would have meta builds it won’t change anything. Especially on classes that take time to learn. Give new thief meta dp build, he will still get farmed at spawn.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

The fact the only queue for pvp can you put as a solo with other solos against a full arranged guild team.

The utter WORST decision made by anet was implementing that tbh.

I don’t know. There’s been quite a few decisions that stand out as really bad on my list. Removing SoloQ is definitely up there, but so is not splitting PvE/PvP skills, balancing once every 6-months unless something really gamebreaking pops up, and only supporting one gamemode for 3-years.

in PvP

Copestetic.5174

Who is going to pay the guy that would reprogramm starting build every time meta changes?
Even if new players would have meta builds it won’t change anything. Especially on classes that take time to learn. Give new thief meta dp build, he will still get farmed at spawn.

I swear I remember build examples in PvP areas in GW1. Like “Hamstorm” was one of them. It was a joke build, but I ‘think’ there was example builds early in GW1 that you could look at in-game. Now, this has been years and years ago, and the image is fuzzy, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think it’d be pretty cool to have like a “Meta Build” or “Popular PvP Build” tab under the Build section in the PvP lobby. Where it have a list for all classes, you find the one you’re interested in, and it preloads it for you. Give your skills, traits, runes/sigils a quick run-through to see how they work together, and have at it.

But that would probably require the age-old build templates which, ANet has shown time and time again that they have no interest in making our lives that easy.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

it’s coming… https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-pvp-leagues/ don’t you worry it’s coming!

You’re funny if you think it’ll teach them a single thing.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Who do you think is more useful, a new player that uses a meta build or a new player that uses a garbage build?

in PvP

Posted by: Necromonger.4970

Necromonger.4970

You’re funny, “reprogramm”-ing the starting build is just changing a few variables and it’ll take someone a few minutes to do it, but that’s the lame way to do things.

Anyway here is what dota 2 guides look like – http://i.stack.imgur.com/J2nSB.jpg
The guides work the same way as metabattle.com, however everything including the voting is done within the game.

in PvP

Copestetic.5174

You’re funny, “reprogramm”-ing the starting build is just changing a few variables and it’ll take someone a few minutes to do it, but that’s the lame way to do things.

Anyway here is what dota 2 guides look like – http://i.stack.imgur.com/J2nSB.jpg
The guides work the same way as metabattle.com, however everything including the voting is done within the game.

That would be perfect.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

When I was new the first thing I did was rebind WASD to skills due to their quick and convenient access to homerow and just mouseturned. I’m sure the newbies will figure it out.

in PvP

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

You’re funny if you think it’ll teach them a single thing.

you’re absolutely right, they won’t learn a godkitten thing, but it will get them out of MY face because I’m going to the leagues they can’t reach, which means FAR better matchup’s all day erry day

When I was new the first thing I did was rebind WASD to skills due to their quick and convenient access to homerow and just mouseturned. I’m sure the newbies will figure it out.

Funny the first thing I did was rebind half the keys to my mouse, razer naga = woot!

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

(edited by RaGe.9834)

in PvP

Posted by: Triflux.8027

Triflux.8027

The one thing I notice, is that some players in unranked arenas that I played aren’t really interested in the objective, they just wanna kill people and score the highest points possible.

It’s evident when you have 3 people securing home at the start of the match.

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Yeh I don’t think that’s it..

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Yeh I don’t think that’s it..

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I think a major contributing factor is the lack of attention to balance. Hambow reigned supreme for weeks, months? Machine gun bow ranger, burn guard, d/d ele, Revenant, Reaper…

Meanwhile Mesmer was left almost unusable for years. Any new player who had the misfortune to like Mesmer ( me ) was in for a lot of bashing.

The game is heavily tilted to reaction speed and fast button pushing. That strongly favors one demographic of players, ( males in their teens and 20’s who have money to buy high end gear ) .. the rest go begging.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Tavastia.6527

Tavastia.6527

Anet / ‘the devs’

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

ANet needs a way to give new players competent build. Without this, new spvp players will be farmed over and over again. Players of the same team will be angry with them.

New bloods cannot enjoy pvp if they go straight to downed state every time they leave spawn area.

If you give nabs specs that can be effective while requiring 0 skill is gonna end up like turret engis, spirit rangers and so on….

It’s not like new players really need to think they’re already good at something, if you’re bad you die…asking for specs to fill the skillgap it’s like asking to break this game even more

I’m probably gonna say something totally new and unexpected for 90% gw2 pvp community….but if you take a look at ANY other competitive game it’s pretty obvious

Nabs are supposed to get rekt…that’s how you’re supposed to get better, if you get rekt qq and quit then pvp is not for you and noone is gonna miss you anyway.

It’s not like everyone is supposed to have a spot just because someone else does….in a competitive game you go up only if you deserve to and most people are gonna stay where they are forever, how many play football at amateur level everyday? How many actually make it to major leagues? You’re basically asking to dumb down the game to allow amateurs to compete vs those playing in major leagues without being any better than them in terms of both skill and experience…and that makes absolutely no sense

Keybinds are pretty easy to adjust…you just need to put your binds where you can easily reach them, it’s not rocket science…you can’t make a “better dafault keybind” since everyone has a different keybind based on his hardware (Kb, mouse, keypad and so on)

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Copestetic.5174

If you give nabs specs that can be effective while requiring 0 skill is gonna end up like turret engis, spirit rangers and so on….

It’s not like new players really need to think they’re already good at something, if you’re bad you die…asking for specs to fill the skillgap it’s like asking to break this game even more

I’m probably gonna say something totally new and unexpected for 90% gw2 pvp community….but if you take a look at ANY other competitive game it’s pretty obvious

Nabs are supposed to get rekt…that’s how you’re supposed to get better, if you get rekt qq and quit then pvp is not for you and noone is gonna miss you anyway.

It’s not like everyone is supposed to have a spot just because someone else does….in a competitive game you go up only if you deserve to and most people are gonna stay where they are forever, how many play football at amateur level everyday? How many actually make it to major leagues? You’re basically asking to dumb down the game to allow amateurs to compete vs those playing in major leagues without being any better than them in terms of both skill and experience…and that makes absolutely no sense

Keybinds are pretty easy to adjust…you just need to put your binds where you can easily reach them, it’s not rocket science…you can’t make a “better dafault keybind” since everyone has a different keybind based on his hardware (Kb, mouse, keypad and so on)

I have to disagree. Not that I think you’re absolutely wrong, just that I’d like to believe that someone who’s new to the game ( who’s able to pick-up a meta build from the proposed “Meta UI” ) would understand that just because they’re using a build that’s tried and true, they still need to practice with it and understand Conquest/Courtyard/Stronghold mechanics along with everything else.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

The community…. amongst other items which ANET shot themselves in the foot.

Not that many will read this, but the last thing a person who enjoys a ranger, guardian, mesmer, necro, … etc, wants to hear is why their class isn’t wanted in PvP. Don’t blame a player for using what ANET gives them.

in PvP

Posted by: Godservant.8736

Godservant.8736

Searil Hebion| Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

To the question in the subject: poor balancing, taking too long to make balance changes, and the lack of timely smaller iterative balance changes.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I think we need a structured but casual large (15v15) scale pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Maybe it has something to do with PvP being competitive and GW2 is casual.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

To the question in the subject: poor balancing, taking too long to make balance changes, and the lack of timely smaller iterative balance changes.

I’m really going to have to go with this. If you look at other PvP based games (MOBAs for example), you see updates and balance changes like this almost on a weekly basis.

Stuff goes here.

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Teething problems are to be expected with an increase in new players, I guess they could give meta builds to new players (but then that could end up being the only build they ever play – at least if they have to look up a build they can start to understand why its the meta build).

I think patience is the best path, we were all new at one stage and GW2 isn’t too difficult to build with (I’m pretty sure every single Mesmer in the game managed to construct standard Shatter build 3 years ago on their first visit to HotM).

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

What is stunting PvP’s growth

No leaderboards, no meaningful reward or incentive to keep on keeping on.

Periodically having a test ladder, even if it’s fake, would increase pvp attendance.

If there is nothing to strive for, nothing to attain, nothing to accomplish, what good is the competition for?

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster