What is the state of gw2 esports

in PvP

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Q:

Havent logged on in a while so was wondering if anets esports ambition is growing or dying. I left when the pvp scene lost many players

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in PvP

Posted by: Tanought.5428

Tanought.5428

“Laughable”

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well the devs are pumping more money into it, but it’s not very accessible for newer players to go in and compete, and the pvp events aren’t really interesting enough to draw enough viewers from outside of the fairly small gw2 pvp population. There a few twitch streamers from high level teams that seem to do well for themselves though, but nothing even close to the scale of what you’d get from a real esport.

Also the balance is kind of bad due to mix of expansion power creep and infrequently changing too many things at once.

There’s also the fact that conquest gameplay is a tad one dimensional and new maps and modes fail to gain any following in the community, mainly since they’re not what the player base tend to want to play.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

The e-sports in this game is going really well. The pro league finals just happened and season 2 is coming very soon. It seems to be attratcing more viewers than it did before too, or at least the pro league finals did because there were over 4K viewers for that rather than the usual 2k which is great. I am so glad it is succeeding because at the moment I care more about watching the pro league than playing the actual game, it is just awesome and I am sure many others feel the same way so it is definitely a success in that people are enjoying it, or at least I am!

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: EPYON.2731

EPYON.2731

My doctor said:
Poor camera viewpoint, after view your eyes will be confusion.
And then becomes mantal ill, don’t try it easily.

Thank you doctor!

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Check out https://competitive.guildwars2.com/en for what’s going on

Season 1 just ended and Season 2 starting up soon enough. Another $200,000 on the line for NA and EU.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

The state of gw2 esports? The same teams over and over. There is nothing mildly interesting about it. NA represented by Abjured ever since ….. always? Are there even any other teams in the NA? Eu battling it out between oRNG/TCG/Rank 55/Vermilion

China is but a voice in the wilderness. They don’t even play in Pro League

However, the teams I’ve listed at least provide a decent amount of show, that is if you know what the F is going on in this massive skill spam that is the teamfights. Always fun watching these guys. I get my hype up

Then I soloQ and i instantly get depressed at how many baddies there are in this game.

in PvP

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

gw2 esports has developed a rotten connotation over the few years since ArenaNet has poured their R&D into it. What could have been something successful is severely hindered due to poor design- whether it be game design or system design.

In context of game design, professions see widely varying “meta-shifts” as a form of pseudo balance patches. These meta-shifts ruin every chance for Arenanet to accomplish their e-sport organizational objective because such meta-shifts forces players to relearn their profession and it takes away the momentum players have to become masters of their art. It also takes away momentum from the spectators (and corresponders) because they too have to relearn the changes in order to follow along what’s going on. People may argue that this isn’t a valid argument because League of Legends and DoTA are successful yet do balance patches, but compare those games vs Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2’s balance patches lack direction and structure, doesn’t accomplish anything near “balance” (instead focus on a limited scope or things that don’t need a change), and usually involve significant changes (e.g. +100% buff, -100% nerf etc)

In context of system design, the matchmaking system is not working as it should be- matching players of equal skill to players of equal skill. Beyond this, there’s other significant problems that lie in encouraging good sportsmanship and discouraging poor sportsmanship. No such system exists in the game.

(edited by TheBravery.9615)

in PvP

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

For something to be popular, it needs to be appreciated en masse. To appreciate something, you need to understand it first.

How many people in this game understand Engi rotations? How people understand it by watching monitor thru a video camera? GW1 has PoV observer mode for every match. GW2 took like a marathon backwards.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in PvP

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

I would not call something that gets 3k viewers on a grandfinal esport. There are some streamers that get that amount daily.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I would not call something that gets 3k viewers on a grandfinal esport. There are some streamers that get that amount daily.

4k, but your point is still legit!

in PvP

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

At this point, seems they’re pouring everything they have into esports and league and focusing a lot on PvP leagues in general. They’re beating a dead horse though, they underlying issues of the game have not been addressed and with their heavy handed balancing, they never will be. It’s like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

I watched a couple events and you can hardly tell what is going on between the AoE spam and particle effects for basic attacks. It’s attack of the Michael bae’s!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in PvP

Posted by: RonDonJonVanDam.1289

RonDonJonVanDam.1289

ded gaem

15dedgaems

in PvP

Posted by: Enoreth.6742

Enoreth.6742

What ? you don’t see how amazing the e-sport in Gw2 is ?

me neither

Requïem – Thief | Elyka Aldwick – Ele

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Absymal.

/15 charrs

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Actually, the Challenger League system, is SKILL based.

This is the only way to compete at high level into the PRO League with a new team.

The other entry point, is if you have the “LUCK” to get recruited by a pro league team to compete with them.

But, all in all, it’s a fair system that reward SKILL over GRIND.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: geekilo.8512

geekilo.8512

If they actually start pro pvp league season 2 tournament crap again, ima laugh. The game is in such a mess