What's the impact of big meta shifts?

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

We’ve had several meta shifts since launch. I recall the direct damage meta, the condi tank meta, and now we’re in this bunkery meta.

These meta’s significantly change the way players need to respond and play in general. You really aren’t playing the same way when the meta shifts occur, and players must l2p for the current builds and strategies.

Inherently there’s nothing good or bad about this, but psychologically on the playerbase is this good or bad to have the way PvP plays change so noticeably?

Is it an issue that there’s a lack of consistency in matchmaking?

Or is it interesting that there’s something different going on?

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Before: hambows, bunkers and engis

Now: hambows, bunkers and condi engis

I don’t see much difference…

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

rune sets influence the meta alot, like lyssa and strength, both didnĀ“t favour conditions.

Right now strength runes grants 7% dmg for the easiest boon to keep up(might) which makes no sense compared to rune of rage etc AND it got 2x 4set boni which is also not in line with most of the runes.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

The impact on the build make-up for teams is 3 delicate balances.

• Direct Damage vs. Condition Damage (Tied in further to Condition Removal)
  • Tanky Stats vs. Sustained Healing.
  • Sustained Damage vs. Burst Damage.

So on those three fronts… we’ve encountered a pretty large shift away from a focus in Condition Damage. That’s because Eles now do a great job of counteracting that, with the re-buff of Cleansing Water, and Generosity/Purity Sigils have become viable.

We’ve also encountered a shift away from Tanky stats (toughness, vitality) and a movement towards group sustain. Monk Runes, Sigils of Renewal, Celestial Amulets, all of these April 15th additions helped on this front.

In regards to Sustained Damage vs. Burst Damage, the presence of Strength runes has allowed sustained damage builds to flourish, and simply overwhelm enemies with might stacked Auto-Attacks and cleave. Burst damage is rewarding still, but the defensive risk makes it hard to justify over a sustainable, high sustained pressure DPS.

So… what we’re seeing on NA is a huge focus on high Sustained Damage carries, and a nigh invincible healing-based Core, of Guardian, Ele, and Engineer/Ranger.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Elementalists are the flavor of the year now.

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

So on those three fronts… we’ve encountered a pretty large shift away from a focus in Condition Damage. That’s because Eles now do a great job of counteracting that, with the re-buff of Cleansing Water, and Generosity/Purity Sigils have become viable.

We’ve also encountered a shift away from Tanky stats (toughness, vitality) and a movement towards group sustain. Monk Runes, Sigils of Renewal, Celestial Amulets, all of these April 15th additions helped on this front.

In regards to Sustained Damage vs. Burst Damage, the presence of Strength runes has allowed sustained damage builds to flourish, and simply overwhelm enemies with might stacked Auto-Attacks and cleave. Burst damage is rewarding still, but the defensive risk makes it hard to justify over a sustainable, high sustained pressure DPS.

So… what we’re seeing on NA is a huge focus on high Sustained Damage carries, and a nigh invincible healing-based Core, of Guardian, Ele, and Engineer/Ranger.

Something interesting in my mind is that the second comparison made in the list above doesn’t apply to glass cannon’s at all.

Something else that’s interesting to me is that for the 3rd comparison, It seems like D/D ele and Warrior can do both burst and sustain.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Something interesting in my mind is that the second comparison made in the list above doesn’t apply to glass cannon’s at all.

Something else that’s interesting to me is that for the 3rd comparison, It seems like D/D ele and Warrior can do both burst and sustain.

Well, I consider Glass Cannons to be a kind of wildcard in a comp, not something that NA players build their comp out of. Heck, even Thieves that run 10/0/0/30/30 berserker S/D are more sustained damage than burst.

I think that Ham/Axebow Warriors and D/D Eles have a couple bursty moves (Eviscerate, Churning Earth, Fire Grab) but I feel like sustained DPS suits them better.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

Well, I consider Glass Cannons to be a kind of wildcard in a comp, not something that NA players build their comp out of. Heck, even Thieves that run 10/0/0/30/30 berserker S/D are more sustained damage than burst.

I think that Ham/Axebow Warriors and D/D Eles have a couple bursty moves (Eviscerate, Churning Earth, Fire Grab) but I feel like sustained DPS suits them better.

The burst opportunity on top of that high sustain is potentially why I’ve been noticing lots of D/D ele’s and warriors.

I think why we’re seeing a lot of S/D is exactly that comp you posted, it’s got a lot of sustain, with some burst opportunity and high mobility. It also counters the might that has been floating around in the meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

my ele build only changes the rune since patch from earth rune to strength 0_0 so much for changes… oh from cleric to celestial XD

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

(edited by Lord Hammer Hand.4815)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Before: hambows, bunkers and engis

Now: hambows, bunkers and condi engis

I don’t see much difference…

i agree with that, but further back we had unkillable ele meta
quickness meta (bulls rush 100b ftw!)
shatter might mesmer meta

i think switching the meta keeps the game fun and fresh,
we need large changes every month or 2 so the meta can’t settle and fester into the cesspool of builds like we have now.

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Can’t forget about Quickness Lich, Quickness Hundred Blades sniping…
The invincible twin ele 10k firegrab meta.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

GW2 is the least updated mmo I ever played, which makes me wonder how many employees they have. Btw I played the same hambow spec for a year now and nothing really changed about it tbh.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

GW2 is the least updated mmo I ever played, which makes me wonder how many employees they have

indeed, we should expect patches like the recent one atleast every 2 months,
and smaller balance updates biweekly too.
having to wait 6 months for a fairly standard mmo patch is just crazy.

in PvP

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

Btw I played the same hambow spec for a year now and nothing really changed about it tbh.

Hammer 4 cast time reduced and can be used when moving
Unsuspecting for moved to master tier
Paralyzation sigil fixed
Combustive shot radius reduced at lower adrenaline levels and damage ticks reduced
Hammer 4 Damage reduced
Earthshaker damage reduced
Armored attack buffed from 7% to 10%
Lyssa runes reworked
Strength runes buffed
Swap sigils no longer share icd’s
Healing Signet passive reduced
Merciless hammer damage reduced
Pin down cast time increased/new animation
Arcing arrow damage reduced

Other than that yeah, it’s basically the exact same build.

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

(edited by Rarnark.5623)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Btw I played the same hambow spec for a year now and nothing really changed about it tbh.

Paralyzation sigil fixed
Combustive shot radius reduced at lower adrenaline levels and damage ticks reduced
Hammer 4 Damage reduced
Lyssa runes reworked
Strength runes buffed

Maybe you forgot about healing signet getting a major buff.

in PvP

style.6173

The main meta issue currently is rune of strength. This runeset should be removed from PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Paralyzation sigil fixed
Hammer 4 Damage reduced
Lyssa runes reworked
Strength runes buffed

that is irrelevant as warriors were free kills during 200 health / second healing signet era.

the popular rage build hambow among others only came to light when healing signet was buffed to 392 health / second from 200 health / second.

in PvP

style.6173

Paralyzation sigil fixed
Hammer 4 Damage reduced
Lyssa runes reworked
Strength runes buffed

that is irrelevant as warriors were free kills during 200 health / second healing signet era.

the popular rage build hambow among others only came to light when healing signet was buffed to 392 health / second from 200 health / second.

True. Warriors have never received any buffs in the history of the game. lolol