What's the justification for Gear Shield?

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Broken forum is so broken.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

We’re comparing the impact of gear shield on it’s meta builds to the impacts of other effects on other meta builds and asking the question “is gear shield being what it currently is justified?”

Even worse comparison.

The meta is a constantly changing environment of changes, counter changes, and counters to counter changes.

If you are struggling to cope with your meta build vs another meta build, then CHANGE away from the meta.

I think this would be more valid if there weren’t apex builds and if there was better build diversity within professions at the height of competitive play.

As it stands it’s actually better to compare this way. In part because the builds in the game right now are great at many things instead of exceptional at a few things. Also in part because the current meta builds are so long standing, that they’ve proven to be more than viable even when people try to counter build them. Even though people have been trying to change the meta these builds are so strong that attempts have been unsuccessful. It’s so much an issue you have top players calling for nerfs to their own professions, and ANet implementing damage nerfs that will impact heavy might stacking builds more than builds that use less might.

It’s very apropos to be making comparisons in this way, especially given the situation of the game currently as described above.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Novuake.2691

I think this would be more valid if there weren’t apex builds and if there was better build diversity within professions at the height of competitive play.

As it stands it’s actually better to compare this way. In part because the builds in the game right now are great at many things instead of exceptional at a few things. Also in part because the current meta builds are so long standing, that they’ve proven to be more than viable even when people try to counter build them. Even though people have been trying to change the meta these builds are so strong that attempts have been unsuccessful. It’s so much an issue you have top players calling for nerfs to their own professions, and ANet implementing damage nerfs that will impact heavy might stacking builds more than builds that use less might.

It’s very apropos to be making comparisons in this way, especially given the situation of the game currently as described above.

By that reasoning you may as well stop comparing at all, because meh, you can’t change anything.

Meta isn’t as strong as you think it is, its a player(the few rather than the many) created phenomenon to simplify things “because the pro’s use it”.

Do a little test, make a nice build, something decent that is NOT part of the meta.
Jump into unranked arena, after a few games of getting to know the build, ROFLSTOMP people.
Why do this?
Why does it WORK in most cases?
People EXPECT certain things THANKS to the meta, this actually makes it EASIER to play non-meta because you are doing the unexpected.
This becomes even MORE apparent at higher levels of play because people start studying the game instead of playing on instinct.

I will note however that SURE there are obviously bad builds(I am not considering these), some builds have more apparent weaknesses than others, or more strength, but that does not make them LESS viable. Play to the strengths.

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

Tool kit is too good.

Pry bar, cele build crits for 4k+, 4 stacks of confusion, unblockable CC, block, and soft CC bleed.

it has every thing and too much of everything in a melee set up, for a class that’s mainly ranged and have no CD problem for switching skills.

either you nerf the damage and keep it’s survibility or do something about it.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Tool kit is too good.

Pry bar, cele build crits for 4k+, 4 stacks of confusion, unblockable CC, block, and soft CC bleed.

it has every thing and too much of everything in a melee set up, for a class that’s mainly ranged and have no CD problem for switching skills.

You can’t go up against an extremely short range melee attack?

Seriously though, I do not understand.

1. Bleed, insignificant amount.

2. Soft CC? Meh not significant either in PvP, WvW definitely strong.

3. 5 stacks of confusion, the only decent damage the kit provides.

4. Block, just like a dozens of other damage mitigation skills.

5. Unblockable CC, wait WHAT? Dodge is a thing you know. Also a very EASY skill to dodge.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Tool kit is too good.

5. Unblockable CC, wait WHAT? Dodge is a thing you know. Also a very EASY skill to dodge.

The autoattack is meh, the toolbelt skill is meh. The magnet is easy to dodge (though it could get a better animation). The only 2 grat thing are pry bar and the block. The block requires you to invest 4 trait points in order to reduce its cooldown.

The only way I see a nerf to block viable is if they buff #1, #2 and the toolbelt skill.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

(edited by xDudisx.5914)

in PvP

Simon.3794

Tool kit is too good.

I’m not even gonna comment, because it seems like you didn’t even read, can’t not play your class properly and only trying to bs

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The CD is a too low for its duration and functionality, needs looked at. However if Anet finally complete their movement and remove Incediary Powder forcing Engis to take Pistol Offhand for Burning then there might be an argument to keep as is (although maybe increasing base recharge to 25sec might still be reasonable).

These things can’t be looked at in a vacuum but as it stands I would say it bridges the gaps to their next very hard to interupt heal a little too well.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

The CD is a too low for its duration and functionality, needs looked at. However if Anet finally complete their movement and remove Incediary Powder forcing Engis to take Pistol Offhand for Burning then there might be an argument to keep as is (although maybe increasing base recharge to 25sec might still be reasonable).

These things can’t be looked at in a vacuum but as it stands I would say it bridges the gaps to their next very hard to interupt heal a little too well.

See now THIS is a valid point for a change. Incendiary powder is way too strong in its current form.

At leadt someone understands.

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Why should it be one or the other? Both need to be toned down. The burn duration and/or the ICD need to be changed for IP and the block cooldown needs to be up’d to 30 seconds.

Compensation for these changes need only bee on the pistol auto attack by increasing the bleed duration by 1 second.

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

Why should it be one or the other? Both need to be toned down. The burn duration and/or the ICD need to be changed for IP and the block cooldown needs to be up’d to 30 seconds.

Compensation for these changes need only bee on the pistol auto attack by increasing the bleed duration by 1 second.

Can we justify such a heavy nerf to Gear Shield? 10 seconds on a 20 second cool down is a big margin, don’t forget to look at the skills impact to the builds it’s used on.

I know some people disagree with shaving skills, because of the low frequency of updates. But the concept of shaving is still good, especially if they’ll update more often. The question becomes, is 10 seconds a shave to engi builds or is it too big?

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

10 is ridiculous
5 might be ok

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

What is up with these forums…

I dont know what you mean by 10 seconds? You want the duration of the block increased to 10 seconds? That’s insane…

Duration: 3seconds.
Cooldown: 25 or 30 seconds.
Trait: -20%

Incendiary Powder:
Duration: 2 seconds.
Cooldown: 10 seconds
or
Duration: 4 seconds.
Cooldown: 20 seconds.

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

I dont know what you mean by 10 seconds? You want the duration of the block increased to 10 seconds? That’s insane…

Incendiary Powder:
or

So basically you want to remove engi’s dmg AND survivability? What is your goal? Make all engis reroll?

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

Incendiary Powder:
or

30 second recharge (suggested) minus 10 seconds (margin) equals 20 seconds (current recharge)

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

Incendiary Powder:
or

So basically you want to remove engi’s dmg AND survivability? What is your goal? Make all engis reroll?

No, like I said in the original post, I realize a lot of damage comes from this proc alone. It’s simply too much. Up the bleed duration on pistol would be a reasonable compromise.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

You know, or just make the class rely on some positioning.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

cele rifle relies on positioning already. getting your opponent where you want them and capping the point during your 1v1. its tools are its ccs, hard and soft.

in PvP

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

There are a lot of OP things about engineer in their current state, and while the shield is on that list it’s actually one of the lower things for me.

I am very storngly against skills with no tells or countermeasures and IP/Overcharged Shot are huge offenders. Sure, let’s make near perma-burning and a knockback you can’t avoid a thing. It becomes even more frustrating when engi’s combo other knockdowns that could have been avoided, if not for overcharged shot that can’t be avoided.

It goes something like this:

Overcharged shot —> magnet —> bomb kit —spam nades —> game over

Overcharged shot —> magnet —> slick shoes —> spam nades —> game over

There are many other CC combos, but they all start with overcharged shot. It’s a completely ridiculous knockback on a ridiculously short cooldown, with zero activation time. Nerf that kitten.

IP speaks for itself and needs some major toning down.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

It goes something like this:

Overcharged shot —> magnet --> bomb kit —spam nades --> game over

bombs/tk/nades is a bad build, it doesnt go like that.

in PvP

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

When it comes to engi’s, even bad builds win fights. And it still works because of overcharged shot.

It’s also why I posted multiple combos. There is an optimal rotation, but it’s hardly necessary. Neither can be avoided, and that’s the point. One skill, makes dodging the other skills futile.

(edited by Kagamiku.9731)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Gear shield and Pry Bar op now? …let me add this to my list of op items next to Eviscerate and Luis Suarez’s teeth…

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Simon.3794

You don’t even need to nerf IP or any trait related.

Either nerf damage on tool kit for it to remain as a more defensive kit
or increase CD, so less time will be filled till their next healing turret.

Their skills are just too good, that they can be more then just viable without specing anything in condition clear and very little in defensive line.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Well Gear Shield being too strong aside, that comes across as a little out of touch considering everything on Engi’s kit of abilities outside meh auto attacks are only optimal in the 200-400 range. Unless there’s a downed enemy already primed and waiting for you to hit it from max range (very rare), you have to get to 400 range, and start putting disrupts / combos on people.

How2 be gooder at positioning so I don’t have to use Gear Shield?

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I mean, come on Chaith. When you ran zerker engi you had to be a lot more careful with where you were than a lot of engis have to do now with cele. I’m just saying, if gear shield had a little nerf to it then it might make some engis think about where they are standing in a fight. Which is understandable, it is middle line class. Sure, a lot of engi skills are more effective close up, but it’s not like you have a 1200 range pull or 1500 aoe nades. And sure an argument can be made that nades are hard to land, but it is conquest and we are standing in circles.

That dude asked, are you trying to make engis reroll? I think with the other dudes changes engis would just have to position a little safer. I still think they would be effective though.

So my comment was in regards to that. Forcing the engis completely out of front line with nerfs would not be good for the game. They are a mid-front line class and should stay that way and with that guys suggested changes it would make them a little bit more midline.

But whatever. Balancing is hard enough as is.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

There is really no need for all this back and forth. Engi is clearly OP in spvp and needs a lot more than a “shave” to bring it down.

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

Nerf engi without first nerfing fire/air sigil combo would be a dumb move.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Simon.3794

What, how are they even related

fire air is pretty much the only thing that can seperate a zerker engi from cele rifle right?

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

fire air is pretty much the only thing that can seperate a zerker engi from cele rifle right?

Nerfing engi/war/ele without nerf broken sigil of air/fire thives+mesmer with their low risk high reward builds will be terrible for the game.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Simon.3794

Nerfing engi/war/ele without nerf broken sigil of air/fire thives+mesmer with their low risk high reward builds will be terrible for the game.

while at it, nerf every zerker build as well as your own zerker build.
and cele builds will still be less risk more reward at holding points.
they don’t even play the same role.

sorry but balance isnt involved around WvW and dualing.

(edited by Simon.3794)

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

Celestial needs to stay as a viable stat in spvp. If they nerf engi even more we have the risk of zerker cancer become even more abundant in spvp. Sigil of air and fire are even more passive than battle and doom.

Keep defending your passive sigils.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

nothing is more passive than battle, it only requires you to be in combat. air/fire require you to connect your hits too.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Celestial needs to stay as a viable stat in spvp. If they nerf engi even more we have the risk of zerker cancer become even more abundant in spvp. Sigil of air and fire are even more passive than battle and doom.

Zerker cancer… i saw everything now…. pretty sure full zerker team wasn’t a thing for at least 1.5 years…

Problem is, lets assume overall class potential correlation between celestial and zerker is something like 2:3… if you nerf celestial and zerker at the same time, we would be still at 2:3 meaning nothing would change and it will be still run celestial or don’t run at all.

Also, for air/fire to actually be worth using you have to stack crit (trait for it + amy) and actually hit someone.

For doom/strengh you don’t have to stack any stats, use any amulets or trait anything specifically… all you need to do is switch weapon in combat…

So saying that air/fire are more passive than doom/strengh is plain lie.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Simon.3794

first of all, i don’t play zerker, as in they are not viable other then thief and i don’t play mesmer. and my main is non of them.

second of all, thieves and mesmer already lose to celes 1v1 on point

3rd of all, nerf fire air would only shave every other already bad zerker classes to be even worst.

4th of all, you are clearly brainlessly defending your cheese (yes my main also uses cele build and im not biased unlike you) as in you wish to nerf the only thing that can differenciate zerker engi and cele engi as in you wish to output damage like zerker even more while staying celely tanky.

5th of all, i would careless about cele disapparing, i would actually love to see more build diversity more roles and different comp then one build does all from condi pressure to healing to condi clear to spike to mobility.

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

first of all, i don’t play zerker, as in they are not viable other then thief and i don’t play mesmer. and my main is non of them.

3rd of all, nerf fire air would only shave every other already bad zerker classes to be even worst.

4th of all, you are clearly brainlessly defending your cheese (yes my main also uses cele build and im not biased unlike you) as in you wish to nerf the only thing that can differenciate zerker engi and cele engi as in you wish to output damage like zerker even more while staying celely tanky.

5th of all, i would careless about cele disapparing, i would actually love to see more build diversity more roles and different comp then one build does all from condi pressure to healing to condi clear to spike to mobility.

More build diversity by making 1 stat completely nerfed to oblivion? Nice logic.
Also engis are pretty balanced and one of the highest if not the highest skill cap in build wars 2.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Simon.3794

More build diversity by making 1 stat completely nerfed to oblivion? Nice logic.
Also engis are pretty balanced and one of the highest if not the highest skill cap in build wars 2.

Do you know how many builds have disappared since cele meta?
it’s called sacrifice a little gain a lot.

you say it has one of the highest skill cap?
yea and it also has one of the lowest skill floor next to thief and warrior.
if you think having more OP skills at your disposal and being able to do more op kitten other classes can not means high skill cap, ok, good for you.

people often think that having high base HP, armor is a balance factor
and ignore the fact that having more OP skills without the need of watching skill swapping CD is also a balance factor and no it is not skill cap, it is just having more skills.

(edited by Simon.3794)

in PvP

Posted by: glock.6590

glock.6590

Did some1 just call engis balanced? This must be a joke right?

Sigil of air and fire are broken but its the only way to kill your OP class along with ele. Otherwise the damage just sucks even when traited and geared full zerk.

6’4’’ Master Race. I am Above You.

in PvP

Simon.3794

continue from my previous post

SURE, if you really wanted to call that skill cap
being able to reach a higher skill cap then other classes is also considered unbalanced
as in, why only this class can reach a higher level, while other classes are limited

because players can always improve and always will as long as there are space for them to improve. then it will only comes to how many OP kitten this class can actually pull off.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow of Azrael.1205

Shadow of Azrael.1205

nothing is more passive than battle, it only requires you to be in combat. air/fire require you to connect your hits too.

Lol whats the point of having battle sig if you dont hit anything? Both stats and hit/crit proc sigils are braindead passive since you dont really control them.

(edited by Shadow of Azrael.1205)

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Lol whats the point of having battle sig if you dont hit anything?

Points is: you can be outplayed (dodged, evaded, blocked, blinded etc) and it still will proc.

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Engi CC,condition and boon duration are too long. Confusion,vulnerability,swiftness,retaliation,regen need duration shave and the CC need new animation. They are fragile enough if you can avoid the CC look also in some stun break CD. Sigil of Torment is coming you cannot ignore some kind of shave to engi unless you update my cleansing or stun break I was already doing fine vs most eles. Waiting on that TDM queue…

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in PvP

Shadow of Azrael.1205

Lol whats the point of having battle sig if you dont hit anything?

Points is: you can be outplayed (dodged, evaded, blocked, blinded etc) and it still will proc.

Point is : you deal 0 damage if you are outplayed (dodged, evaded, blocked, blinded etc) with 25 might stacks and with 0 stacks.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

Engi CC,condition and boon duration are too long. Confusion,vulnerability,swiftness,retaliation,regen need duration shave and the CC need new animation.

im confused about the boon duration part. are you referring to turret engis? the only boon celengi builds abuse is battle sigil’s might.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Point is : you deal 0 damage if you are outplayed (dodged, evaded, blocked, blinded etc) with 25 might stacks and with 0 stacks.

Wrong. It accumulates and can be abused in fight later.

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

I think a lot of these issues can be solved by simply moving Power Wrench to grandmaster tier! It would reduce the damage of Prybar, which hits for like 3-5k with might stacks on a cele build lol, and it would make it so you can’t trait for 20 second Magnets and 16 second Gear Shields unless you give up Alchemy sustain, which you won’t and shouldn’t! After all, Tool Kit is one of the most powerful kits the Engineer has and is definitely deserving of grandmaster status! We can then swap Gadgeteer to the master tier which would buff gadgets! But not really since Gadgeteer is absolutely balls! We all know gadgets need more buffs!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Engi CC,condition and boon duration are too long. Confusion,vulnerability,swiftness,retaliation,regen need duration shave and the CC need new animation.

im confused about the boon duration part. are you referring to turret engis? the only boon celengi builds abuse is battle sigil’s might.

Not talking about celestial don’t even care as long as I can evade knockbacks and pull and not be punished too much from staying at melee range on a point I am fine. Engi can stack might just by taking rifle,bomb kit,elixir gun,strength runes don’t even have to use Battle S.

Engi is fragile to me since I usually play condi and/or CC spec but as soon as I am on that point hell breaks out,pushes me away ,or as soon as he notice me at ranged it’s chaos. The boons provided by alchemy and Speedy Kits added with the randomness of condition they apply is personally a real hussle,they last too long especially confusion as well as the CC. Engi shouldn’t semi stun lock but rather interrupt skills. I dodge the CC then I get burned,confused,poisoned and they want me to cap with no stealth or ranged, I use Thieves Guild now just because the venom stun won’t save me vs crate.

God forbid I miss my Steal or decaping put me in the same situation. My attacks shouldn’t be neutralized with him having many options left ele is much more fair and telegraph/predictable engi is just vicious cycle of bull kitten was fine with it before but I doubt my self after this patch.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in PvP

Shadow of Azrael.1205

Wrong. It accumulates and can be abused in fight later.

You cant abuse it later if you cant

connect your hits

XD

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

People are trying to get all the positive effects from all builds and say it is on celestial rifle hahahaha. Maybe they should also say that engis have pets, clones, virtues, banners, can 1shot from 5k range, perma stealth,etc..

Just a apathetic attempt to get rage against the engi class.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

People are trying to get all the positive effects from all builds and say it is on celestial rifle hahahaha. Maybe they should also say that engis have pets, clones, virtues, banners, can 1shot from 5k range, perma stealth,etc..

Just a apathetic attempt to get rage against the engi class.

i saw that from his response

just a teef who gets rekt so fast he has no time to think about what the engi is doing. its how it should be i guess, since engi has good matches against teef in general. i bet he thinks mesmers are underpowered too.

in PvP

Posted by: Cenzuo.6328

Cenzuo.6328

I think a lot of these issues can be solved by simply moving Power Wrench to grandmaster tier! It would reduce the damage of Prybar, which hits for like 3-5k with might stacks on a cele build lol, and it would make it so you can’t trait for 20 second Magnets and 16 second Gear Shields unless you give up Alchemy sustain, which you won’t and shouldn’t! After all, Tool Kit is one of the most powerful kits the Engineer has and is definitely deserving of grandmaster status! We can then swap Gadgeteer to the master tier which would buff gadgets! But not really since Gadgeteer is absolutely balls! We all know gadgets need more buffs!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Vee Wee makes a good suggestion here, swapping traits instead of directly nerfing skills might encourage trying out new builds. If this happens as well as a nerf to OC shot, slick shoes and IP, then I think engineers will be in a reasonable place.