What's the point of solo arena?

in PvP

Posted by: Ant.3415

Ant.3415

You can queue for all 3 spvp types by yourself. No waits for hot join and more players per match. Team Arena has the best rewards but has a queue. Can you name one reason why anyone would bother with Solo Arena? Why is it even there?

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

To “enjoy” Skyhammer in a competitive scenario.

But on a serious note, unless you actually like Skyhammer (and Spirit Watch) I can’t think of any reason to play SoloQ over teamQ.

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

Hotjoins are good for trying out new builds, and for practice if you are completely new. As as you get better, playing in hotjoins gets boring because everyone is so bad and you basically obliterate them. Also, killing backpedalling noobs bears down on your conscience… the PTSD…

In solo arena after you have established some MMR you are matched with people around your same skill level and you can experience a challenge.

(edited by Geff.1930)

in PvP

Posted by: Ant.3415

Ant.3415

Geff, why do that when you can do Team Arena for much higher reward and avoid the annoying maps in the process?

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Geff, why do that when you can do Team Arena for much higher reward and avoid the annoying maps in the process?

Because as I mentioned in another thread, at least there’s a chance that the clueless people on your team are less clueless than the clueless people on the other team. In team arena that’s much less likely if you are solo.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

You can queue for all 3 spvp types by yourself. No waits for hot join and more players per match. Team Arena has the best rewards but has a queue. Can you name one reason why anyone would bother with Solo Arena? Why is it even there?

I can answer that.

Team arena and solo arena both use a matchmaker to put players against others of similar skill level.

If you’re playing with four friends, using a voip program, you’ll be very, very efficient. If you choose to play by yourself on a team with strangers, you’ll be much, much less skilled in the eyes of the matchmaker.

Back when there was only one ranked queue, it was impossible to play a game with friends and then join solo later, or the other way around. The difference in your matchmaker level would just be too great to give you any semblance of a decent match.

With two queues, you can choose to play as a team one night and then play by yourself the next night, with a separate matchmaker rating for each queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I can answer that.

Team arena and solo arena both use a matchmaker to put players against others of similar skill level.

If you’re playing with four friends, using a voip program, you’ll be very, very efficient. If you choose to play by yourself on a team with strangers, you’ll be much, much less skilled in the eyes of the matchmaker.

Back when there was only one ranked queue, it was impossible to play a game with friends and then join solo later, or the other way around. The difference in your matchmaker level would just be too great to give you any semblance of a decent match.

With two queues, you can choose to play as a team one night and then play by yourself the next night, with a separate matchmaker rating for each queue.

aye this sums it up very nicely.
i still play hotjoin more often though since no waiting time required.

as for solo arena i have only done 7 of them since the reset.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

So you don’t go up against stacks with pugs?

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmmm sorry english is not my first language but what does this question mean? O_O

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

I was going to say that team queue rewards are only 20% higher and agree with Qaelyn, but then I did the maths.

Basically, the rewards for winning 25% of team queue matches are the same (gold) or better (glory) than for winning 50% of solo queue matches.

50% win rate in solo: (0.5 * 25s) + (0.5 * 12.5s) = 18.75 silver/match

25% win rate in team: (0.25 * 30s) + (0.75 * 15s) = 18.75 silver/match

In team queue you get the same rewards for succeeding half as much.

Even given that you will lose significantly more queuing solo in team queue, it is obviously the better option if you don’t care about leaderboards.

Silver Reward per Match
Win | Solo | Team
50% | 18.75 | 22.5
45% | 18.12 | 21.75
40% | 17.50 | 21
35% | 16.87 | 20.25
30% | 16.25 | 19.5
25% | 15.62 | 18.75
20% | 15.00 | 18

Glory Reward per Match
Win | Solo | Team
50% | 200 | 237.5
45% | 195 | 231.25
40% | 190 | 225
35% | 185 | 218.75
30% | 180 | 212.5
25% | 175 | 206.25
20% | 170 | 200

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

hmmm sorry english is not my first language but what does this question mean? O_O

It wasn’t a question, it was an answer

5 players solo. Matchmaking puts them up against a coordinated team stack of players who play together, queued together and are probably on VOIP together. That’s why I solo queue instead of team queue.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

It wasn’t a question, it was an answer

5 players solo. Matchmaking puts them up against a coordinated team stack of players who play together, queued together and are probably on VOIP together. That’s why I solo queue instead of team queue.

ooo !! okies! thanks!

aye, that is what happens when people enter team arena by themselves and not as a team.

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

• Because people with a team want to keep their team-rating high
  • Because people do not want to play against full pre-mades
  • Because the que is longer
  • Because people like to rage and loose their sanity like I do

in PvP

Posted by: chungiee.8764

chungiee.8764

- eFame for those decent casual players without friends teams
- Achievement point farmers

As someone who is very much the former, I do find it sad that I care more about my LB rank in SoloQ than in the “competitive” TeamQ

Chungie – Aurora Glade (EU)
Highest Rank: Team Q – 33 / Solo Q – 1 (27/07/14)
Team: Svanir Pushing Lord [solo] / Carried Ace to Rank 1 Esport Guild Leaderboard

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

Basically, the rewards for winning 25% of team queue matches are the same (gold) or better (glory) than for winning 50% of solo queue matches.

At the cost of having to deal with being on the losing end of frustrating blowouts much of the time.

If I want gold, I can get more of it wandering around level 20 areas with a set of collection tools than I can in any sort of PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

as nevir said, queueing in two separate queues (and impossibility to group [cheat]queue in soloQ) prevents coordinated team playing uncoordinated team. this is essential.

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

I can answer that.

Good sum up, thanks.

in PvP

entropy.9613

At the cost of having to deal with being on the losing end of frustrating blowouts much of the time.

If I want gold, I can get more of it wandering around level 20 areas with a set of collection tools than I can in any sort of PvP.

In theory, pugs should sink to the bottom of the leaderboard and end up playing each other. Assuming matchmaking works, you gravitate towards 50% wins regardless of where you queue, unless you’re an outlier.

If you want gold you can just buy it from Anet’s magic, inflationary bank. If you’re going to PvP anyway, bookah’s gonna get paid.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyperion.6027

Hyperion.6027

I was going to say that team queue rewards are only 20% higher and agree with Qaelyn, but then I did the maths.

Even given that you will lose significantly more queuing solo in team queue, it is obviously the better option if you don’t care about leaderboards.

And that isn’t taking into account the rank point gain from Team Queue.

Perhaps solo arena would be more meaningful if we couldn’t queue solo for team arena?

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

And that isn’t taking into account the rank point gain from Team Queue.

Perhaps solo arena would be more meaningful if we couldn’t queue solo for team arena?

or would have fair rewards for both?
there is NOTHING to excuse this big difference in rewards

teamQ total broken and its pathetic to give for this more than double the rewards

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

To protect your teamq rank would be a rational reason I guess, also if you want a random quick join with decent rewards but don’t want to get steamrolled by a premade team then soloq is a better choice.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Just want to emphasize again that the split queue was a very important design improvement back when it was implemented in August.

If you’re a solo player aiming for maximum gold/rank gain, just queue into team arena all the time. There will always be only one “optimal” way to farm.

The split is for players who want to play with friends sometimes and as an individual sometimes, and get competitive matches both ways.

in PvP

Hyperion.6027

teamQ total broken and its pathetic to give for this more than double the rewards

Winning as a team versus other organized competitive teams requires more effort than winning when matched up against/with random people and deserves greater rewards. Thus my belief that being able to solo Team Arena is wrong.

in PvP

entropy.9613

Winning as a team versus other organized competitive teams requires more effort than winning when matched up against/with random people and deserves greater rewards.

But does it? If matchmaking was random, that would certainly be true. But because the game tries to match you with teams of equal rating, there is no incentive for you to put in that effort. Play awesome and you will win half the time against the best teams in the game. Play kitten and you will win half the time against trash.

However, as team queue has the most coordination, it will produce the highest quality games, is therefore the premier form of PvP and should, on principle, return the highest rewards.

Thus my belief that being able to solo Team Arena is wrong.

That’s my take on it, too. Especially since there’s a working LFG tool.

Also, the rewards for losing are too high.

in PvP

Hyperion.6027

All excellent points, Entropy. I still believe that winning versus higher level teams as a team of 5 people requires more raw effort than doing the same as a team of 1. People should be more incentivized to make teams and improve their overall performance (meaning solo performance + everything related to the team).

But, details. The rewards brought more bodies into the Mists. I am happy to see more people playing sPvP, even if it’s just for the carrot. Reducing the rewards in team arena might even make a bad impression and cause us to lose some of these players. That is why I would rather see Team Arena getting more difficult to get into (requiring a team of 5), or some other change that would actually make the game more enjoyable before touching the rewards. These could be anything from removing AI clutter to introducing a rank requirement to solo queue.

Don’t forget that ANet has a rewards overhaul coming up, and we have no idea how that is going to interact with other systems in the game …

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

To enjoy

1. Afkers.
2. Leavers.
3. Dc of other players.
4. Flaming skyhammer farmers with r60 being like ‘im da best’
5. Matchmaking that has improved but only until top 200.
6. The amazing fair leaderboard.

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: Authority.4386

Authority.4386

I know many ppl who would queue for solo arena.
But they dont queue because they hate Skyham map.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

I’d be happy to no longer use team queue solo if I could actually find a team. Unless you already have friends who PvP or are in the top part of the leaderboard, nobody has any interest in you for a team. That’s why so many individuals are in the team queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I’d be happy to no longer use team queue solo if I could actually find a team. Unless you already have friends who PvP or are in the top part of the leaderboard, nobody has any interest in you for a team. That’s why so many individuals are in the team queue.

I would suggest going to Distubin’s [Angz] 1v1 server or Swim’s 2v2 server if you have few contacts in PvP its a nice wee community and you can watch games and chat and try to get to know people that way. However I WILL shout at you if you play Prismatic :P

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

The point is to queue into skyhammer and rage.

in PvP

Posted by: LelouchViBritannia.3607

LelouchViBritannia.3607

At least in europe at primetime soloq seems to pop much faster than teamq. I usually have around 2-5 minutes waittime in soloq, while 5-10 or even more in teamq.

I command you to be AWESOME.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

I’ve hung out in 1v1 servers before, though not those ones.

And you can shout at me if you can beat me.

My mes is what I’m good at in PvP though, and I don’t like shatter play much. I’m leveling an engi now, but I’m mostly losing the taste for PvP altogether, honestly.

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

It may sound stupid but I have been trying to queue up for SoloQ for the last hour but I have to cancel it at 8-10 mins otherwise I will get an extremely terrible game not worth playing. I have been doing this for nearly an hour now.

SoloQ is pretty dead.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Easiest way to say it…

sPvP: For fun or to play around with new builds/classes
Solo: Similar to sPvP, but with slightly more team communication
Team: Where you put everything you learned into practice. Need great team communication.

in PvP

entropy.9613

But, details. The rewards brought more bodies into the Mists. I am happy to see more people playing sPvP, even if it’s just for the carrot. Reducing the rewards in team arena might even make a bad impression and cause us to lose some of these players.

Rather than reducing the overall rewards, I was thinking just push some of the loss reward into the win column, e.g. have TQ reward 35/10 win/loss loss rather than 30/15. Since everyone ‘wins half the time anyway’, everyone should average the same rewards but there is more immediate incentive to play well / win, and it might go some way to rectifying the imbalance I mentioned above.

That is why I would rather see Team Arena getting more difficult to get into (requiring a team of 5), or some other change that would actually make the game more enjoyable before touching the rewards. These could be anything from removing AI clutter to introducing a rank requirement to solo queue.

I never see any team queue in LFG, which I presume is because people are just queuing solo. Forcing people to party up would probably increase wait times, which might factor into reward calculation, but no-one with any credibility or self-respect is going to complain about fewer PUGs in team queue. Should be a no-brainer.

in PvP

Posted by: Rubik.7192

Rubik.7192

The point of solo queue is to farm champion titles so you can pretend to be pro in front of your pve friends.

Curie.
“I’m so hard right now” – Ozie, in solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

The point of solo queue is to farm champion titles so you can pretend to be pro in front of your pve friends.

i farm them in teamQ cause teamQ leaderbaord useless