What's with all the thieves hacking?

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Victor.2174

Lord Victor.2174

Just today I’ve run into 3 of these.
When they shadowstep it covers like 4 times the distance, with no cooldown. Am I missing some secret trait or something?
Sad thing is even if they’re hacking they still lose the match, cause they’re bad.
Might add that this was in a ranked match, so a decent player can easily get in the top 100 using this thing they’re using, plus it’s unfair for the rest of the players.
Are devs aware if this?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uacSgaWHbqk it’s basically this, but I think people are using thieves cause they can shadowstep and stuff so it wouldn’t be too obvious.

(edited by Lord Victor.2174)

in PvP

Posted by: newbihack.7180

newbihack.7180

Yep, but they are too many.

in PvP

Posted by: Alatar.7364

Alatar.7364

I saw hackers of all classes in PvP. But mostly it was just teleport to enemy player or knockback with several stacks of stability, but I have never seen what you are talking about and it’s rather …. Interesting that only thieves do that, as the name of your thread suggests. Are you sure you are not just over reacting to a simple Shadowstep + Steal? Cause I have met plenty of people who failed to see that and called hacks without thinking twice. Now, I am definitely not questioning your powers of observation, but merely pointing out that we have been to that whole suspicious “The Thieves are hacking” thingy before.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Are you sure they didn’t use the trap? Shadow trap has pretty long distance (10k units) and not visible markings obviously.

And as Alatar said, people often to resort to yelling “hacking” because they simply don’t know how other class works. I got reported countless times for hacking because i used downstate teleport or was able to pinpoint enemy thief by hearing their sb5 in stealth. It is also technically possibly to cast shadowstep twice in a row if you are lucky and have improvisation.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Murmaider.1805

Murmaider.1805

Bad Players accuse me of hacking all of the time. One guy sent a video recording to ANET. I’m still here. Look into mobility combos. Shadowstep + Sword port to enemy can cover A LOT of ground. Shadow Trap + Shadow Step + Sword port as well. Heart Seeker + Shadowstep mid air covers an excess of area as well. So does Bow 5 + Shadowstep or anything like this. A LOT of people don’t realize how mobile thieves really are if utilized correctly. Don’t forget Heartseeker + Steal, Shadow Step + Steal, anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

And if you really want to go ham: Shadowstep+infil sig+sword 2+steal= 4k range port and when done correctly can appear to be nearly instant.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

Sword 2 also doesn’t require line of sight, and provides a reverse teleport option as well. Basically, you might want to pick up a thief and play with all these tricks before you call hacking. Here is a strong candidate for the build you’re running into. Sword, Shadowstep, Steal, and potential for a few slot skill changes to gain trap.

I’m not sure I’ve run into any hackers myself. Stay aware of your surroundings and watch that minimap.

in PvP

Posted by: Troll.7854

Troll.7854

When they shadowstep it covers like 4 times the distance, with no cooldown. Am I missing some secret trait or something?
Sad thing is even if they’re hacking they still lose the match, cause they’re bad.
Might add that this was in a ranked match, so a decent player can easily get in the top 100 using this thing they’re using, plus it’s unfair for the rest of the players.
Are devs aware if this?

this guy is a genius kappa

Thane X- worst pleb NA

in PvP

Posted by: Seth.8906

Seth.8906

I saw hackers of all classes in PvP. But mostly it was just teleport to enemy player or knockback with several stacks of stability, but I have never seen what you are talking about and it’s rather …. Interesting that only thieves do that, as the name of your thread suggests. Are you sure you are not just over reacting to a simple Shadowstep + Steal? Cause I have met plenty of people who failed to see that and called hacks without thinking twice. Now, I am definitely not questioning your powers of observation, but merely pointing out that we have been to that whole suspicious “The Thieves are hacking” thingy before.

Boon strip sigil and bye bye stability there is no hack olny ppl who dont know the game. For example point blank can hit remove stability and knok back you with the right timing

(edited by Seth.8906)

in PvP

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

Naysayers think that no one ever cheats in online games! Did you know that Valve/Steam just banned 40k accounts for cheating? Just saying, strange things happen all the time that people who think they know the game just try and explain away.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/10/valve-bans-40-000-cheating-accounts-after-the-steam-summer-sale/

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

in PvP

Alatar.7364

Boon strip sigil and bye bye stability there is no hack olny ppl who dont know the game. For example point blank can hit remove stability and knok back you with the right timing

I am sorry, it is propably my fault that you missed the “with several stacks of stability” part of my post, I should have written the “with several stacks of stability” in bold.
In all seriousness tell me: If you get hit by a boon strip, be it sigil, trait, weapon skill, shouldn’t it, by a pure coincidence just hypothetically, remove the removed boons icon from your boon bar as well?

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Seth.8906

I am sorry, it is propably my fault that you missed the “with several stacks of stability” part of my post, I should have written the “with several stacks of stability” in bold.
In all seriousness tell me: If you get hit by a boon strip, be it sigil, trait, weapon skill, shouldn’t it, by a pure coincidence just hypothetically, remove the removed boons icon from your boon bar as well?

Then can be some trait reapply stability.
I use this sigil and i get a lot of whisp they say the same words, now i am sure i dont use hack and lot of ppl say i report you and i m here…

Try use this sigil maybe you can get the same whisp

(edited by Seth.8906)

in PvP

Alatar.7364

I use this sigil and i get a lot of whisp they say the same words, now i am sure i dont use hack and lot of ppl say i report you and i m here…

You totally did not answer my question. But that doesn’t matter.
I just so happen to be using such sigils as well, never stripped so many boons to get past stability with several stacks.
I am simply telling you I got knocked back with stability few times. No reapply stability trait and the boon was still there, with its timer and it’s stacks. Just because you strip lots of boons it definitely doesn’t mean that there are not people who actually use hacks.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Seth.8906

I just so happen to be using such sigils as well, never stripped so many boons to get past stability with several stacks.
I am simply telling you I got knocked back with stability few times. No reapply stability trait and the boon was still there, with its timer and it’s stacks. Just because you strip lots of boons it definitely doesn’t mean that there are not people who actually use hacks.

What does this several stack mean? A boon strip cancel the boon dont leave 1 stack

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

Played my old school meta zerker war in ranked to troll fish far. As Poeple get used to meta and think only a war farmed them 1v2 1v1 then had 1v4 down one then afk stood heal why they rez. Was a horror story for them as kept getting vs me for like next 4games and never learnt leason

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Velar.1509

Lord Velar.1509

You do know that there are traits and abilities that thieves have to stack stuff right?

Take Fury and Quickness for instance

I have a build that prolongs its usability, as long as I critically strike fury is refreshed at that point meaning that I have a kitten near permanent Fury boon as long as I’m in combat

As for what seems like crazy mobility, it really isn’t, thieves are the most mobile class in the game

I can use my evade for swiftness, short bow 5, sword 2, then shadowstep, and by that time if my target is in distance I can use steal to close the final bit of distance

If done at the right speed with well timed use, it can seem nearly instant

not saying that cheaters don’t exist, but you have to keep in mind that some ppl learn how to take something past its regular limits once theyre good with it

in PvP

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I’ve seen one Thief clearly cheating I think. I know you can chain shadowsteps and all that other nonsense but this guy was covering half the map it seemed instantly, he was doing weird teleports that looked unnatural. I could understand maybe someone good pulling it off but he wasn’t even that effective. He was constantly blinking about in odd patterns… it was the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

You could have 1 stack or 25 stacks of stability. A corruption, steal, or strip will remove the whole boon not just a stack. Only interrupts will remove 1 stack at a time. This appears to be the classic case of someone that doesn’t understand the game mechanics and accuses others of cheating.

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Only person I’ve seen hacking was moving around while downed. Not teleporting, using Mist Form, or anything (it was a Ranger). They were downed and gliding along the ground at normal walking speed.

Now, this was in WvW, so not entirely relevant here…

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Alatar.7364

You could have 1 stack or 25 stacks of stability. A corruption, steal, or strip will remove the whole boon not just a stack. Only interrupts will remove 1 stack at a time. This appears to be the classic case of someone that doesn’t understand the game mechanics and accuses others of cheating.

And you appear to be a case of someone who doesn’t read my posts at all, sir/madam.
1) I have never ever accused anyone of hacking. Not in game and most importantly not on forums or in any of my posts, did I?
2) it brothers me a lot how both of you happily ignore the fact I mentioned a few times already: that the boon was still on when getting knocked back and was still there (in effect) after I got knocked back it was not removed at all.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

I can use my evade for swiftness, short bow 5, sword 2, then shadowstep, and by that time if my target is in distance I can use steal to close the final bit of distance

/Thread

If you are in a ranked match with top 100 players then they’re already the best thieves in the game. They’ve already mastered teleportation halfway across the map in mere seconds for decap/recap and don’t need to hack to do it.

in PvP

Seth.8906

And you appear to be a case of someone who doesn’t read my posts at all, sir/madam.
1) I have never ever accused anyone of hacking. Not in game and most importantly not on forums or in any of my posts, did I?
2) it brothers me a lot how both of you happily ignore the fact I mentioned a few times already: that the boon was still on when getting knocked back and was still there (in effect) after I got knocked back it was not removed at all.

point 2 i already said ppl whisp me saying the same (you ignored this) so like i have already say can be a but o some mecanic you dnt know

The hack in this game are movement related (and its the topic of this post) invisible o flyiing (never see one but devs banned some time ago) this because somehow they work on the coordinate of the pg.
Now i think ignore stability i a moore difficult hack and i dont thik can exist

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I’ve seen one Thief clearly cheating I think. I know you can chain shadowsteps and all that other nonsense but this guy was covering half the map it seemed instantly, he was doing weird teleports that looked unnatural. I could understand maybe someone good pulling it off but he wasn’t even that effective. He was constantly blinking about in odd patterns… it was the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Check shadow trap, it has 10k units range, just saying.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Alatar.7364

point 2 i already said ppl whisp me saying the same (you ignored this) so like i have already say can be a but o some mecanic you dnt know

I did not ignore that, I actually reacted to that directly right in the next post, maybe you missed it cause of the other posts.

The hack in this game are movement related (and its the topic of this post) invisible o flyiing (never see one but devs banned some time ago) this because somehow they work on the coordinate of the pg.

While it is true that most of the hacks are movement based and also true that the hack related to stability, etc. would be propably more complex to create it still does not exclude its existence. You actually said it yourself: You did not see the flying/ teleporting hackers even those though there were quite a few of them to see, yet even though you didn’t see them you and everyone else knows that they exist, so when I saw the stabillity thingy myself how could it still mean that they do not exist?

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Seth.8906

I did not ignore that, I actually reacted to that directly right in the next post, maybe you missed it cause of the other posts.

While it is true that most of the hacks are movement based and also true that the hack related to stability, etc. would be propably more complex to create it still does not exclude its existence. You actually said it yourself: You did not see the flying/ teleporting hackers even those though there were quite a few of them to see, yet even though you didn’t see them you and everyone else knows that they exist, so when I saw the stabillity thingy myself how could it still mean that they do not exist?

Because i have see the devs actions in the past…. While for the stab i only see false accuse (while playing not yours) so i m scetpic..
We’ll see who have reason!

in PvP

Alatar.7364

Because i have see the devs actions in the past…. While for the stab i only see false accuse (while playing not yours) so i m scetpic..
We’ll see who have reason!

Ok, but I doubt that we will ever see unless somebody gets it recorded. :/

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Victor.2174

Lord Victor.2174

Sorry for the late reply, I’m sure it’s not shadowstep+steal, and here’s why: There was this thief on the enemy team we were fighting at home (Forest map) and when he went down using that teleport in downstate he moved from home to next to the beast. He went down a second time, and this time moved from home to that wooden gate thingie that’s on the way to mid.

If you are in a ranked match with top 100 players then they’re already the best thieves in the game. They’ve already mastered teleportation halfway across the map in mere seconds for decap/recap and don’t need to hack to do it.

I’m aware there are skilled players who can perform such feats, and that’s exactly how I know which ones are cheating. Two things here; they have 0 skills at fighting and die pretty quick, second is I’m not talking about going from home to mid in 2 seconds, they went from home to far in 2 seconds, their dot on the map moving twice (from home to mid in 1 second, from mid to far another second) not once, but several times, and no there was no trap involved. I’ve played my share of thief and I’ve also played with very skillful players using thief. If that’s not enough for you then go play some ranked games and you’ll eventually run into one, they’re easier to spot on your team.
What’s more, mail me in game and I’ll send you one of their names, see if you can group with them and see for yourself.

(edited by Lord Victor.2174)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Because abilities, boons, and all combat related calculations are done by the server not by the client. Your “hack” would require the hacker to have access to the official arenanet servers.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Kaburro.4712

Kaburro.4712

in PvP

Alatar.7364

Because abilities, boons, and all combat related calculations are done by the server not by the client. Your “hack” would require the hacker to have access to the official arenanet servers.

While I believe that this makes sense, it still doesn’t mean it cannot happen. If I remember correctly there was a time Anets Servers got hit by hacker/s pretty hard, so it is still not out of question.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I got called a hacker for lagging a couple times. funny thing is, it works against me more then for me.
I mean actual lagging not that crap in the video.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Are devs aware if this?

this guy is a genius kappa

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

It’s a common teleport hack. Most people who use it are much better at hiding it than the person in Balouga’s video. It’s easiest to get away with while playing a thief due to the exact responses that we are seeing in this thread: “oh a good thief has all kinds of ways to teleport around a map” but if you catch them with a record, it’s easy to debunk what a thief is capable of and what it is not capable of. In other words, if you got no record, people won’t listen.

I don’t know if it’s the same old hack being used nowadays but it was explained to me once. It’s a hack that functions like a waypoint. They set a designated area with some kind of marker and then hit a 2nd button to teleport to it. They can easily replace the marker any time to change the targeted teleport area. Chances are, the thief you downed at mid who teleported to beast, he probably had that marker set up so that he could camp/kill the beasts right as they spawned and it ended up being convenient to teleport there when he was downed. This is also how thieves go stealth and magically go from home to far in 2 seconds. Thing is, it’s a jedi mind trick because 90% of people don’t actually understand this game enough to know the limitations of a thief’s rotations so when a thief goes stealth, it doesn’t matter where it appears, 90% of players won’t question it at all and assume “this guy just must be good”.

A lot of thieves run this old hack and many of them have gotten very good at hiding it.
See the guy in Balouga’s video? That warrior had no way to cover up the obvious tele-hack. The thieves however, they will never use that unless they are stealth first. That way, even very experienced players aren’t really sure if they are seeing a shadowstep, steal, ect.. ect.. and of course we aren’t ever sure what of it’s skills are on cool down or not. Many of the very smart ones won’t ever use that more than once or twice a game. They use it only to launch a rotation that matters for a game changer and never use it any further than a standard shadowstep. They’ll never be reported or caught that way.

I honestly don’t see this hack too often anymore though.
The stupid people have stopped using it mostly.
And the smart people well, you’ll just never be able to identify when it’s happening.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

(edited by Trevor Boyer.6524)