What's with warriors and OP regen in MMOs?

in PvP

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

I’m seriously wondering what the fixation is with Warrior’s regen. I switched to guild wars 2 from wow and I remember the warriors 2nd wind ability (heavy regen at 25-30% hp) being a horrible game design flaw, with warrior’s out-healing hybrid classes just by having that passive ability.

I understand that warriors are basically the symbol of stamina and longevity in battle but kitten ! Random immunities to condis and CC on top of the DR-less hammer smashing or absurd bleeding and burning damage just make it awful.

Is it that hard to (at least this) change the values a little bit in the regen?

in PvP

Posted by: Nary Why Irk.8150

Nary Why Irk.8150

Warrior is completely broken and unbalanced right now

in PvP

Nabbo.2845

I saw your thread so I understand your frustration

in PvP

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

So you come from wow because you heard stealth thieves can kill ppl in oneshot and never ever be visible for anyone and after the warrior didn’t die here you are.I suggest fughting a guard or engie too or even mesmer ranger or thief with heal builds you will have a blast
Oh and welcome to gw2

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

MMO designers seem to consistently over/undervalue the effects of 4 things:

1. Stealth – It’s hard to factor on a “balance spreadsheet” the ability to not be targetted and/or reset the fight whenever you want.

2. Mobility – Any class without mobility will be severely kitten in many scenarios even if they are ok in 1v1 duels or even zergs.

3. Passive abilities – Not having to click a button for something everybody else has to do is HUGE. It’s like having one extra turn at Tic-Tac-Toe.

4, Artificial Intelligence – Classes with lots of reliance on AI are extremely hard to balance for multiple scenarios.

If you look at GW2, Anet has had problems with all 4 since release, but it’s nothing new to MMOs.

It’s just a little surprising that the fixes have been wacky.

For example, when Necros were bad/extinct, they didn’t give them any mobility…they just went overboard buffing one spec’s damage and CC to make them viable.

The same is true for Warriors although they went a step further and made it where they don’t even have to activate a heal AND they don’t have to worry about crit gear like all other classes.

When thieves were ridiculous, they did a lot to neuter damage, but very little to address the major cause for their imbalance (too much stealth, evade, dodge).

Next patch may finally address some of these areas, but who knows if it will be enough.

I could be wrong, but I project Mesmers being the next subject of balance issues after the patch due to several of the issues noted above.

in PvP

Posted by: Bsgapollo.5364

Bsgapollo.5364

I was thinking about making a thread this morning explaining my frustration how absolutely ridiculous it is that a warrior can eat a full churning earth while I die with 3 autto attacks from hammer. Kinda sucks when the warrior can make 20 mistakes and several other classes only 1, mainly power classes.

Level 80 Elementalist, experienced player in pvp, trying out pve for now.

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

I’m seriously wondering what the fixation is with Warrior’s regen. I switched to guild wars 2 from wow and I remember the warriors 2nd wind ability (heavy regen at 25-30% hp) being a horrible game design flaw, with warrior’s out-healing hybrid classes just by having that passive ability.

I understand that warriors are basically the symbol of stamina and longevity in battle but kitten ! Random immunities to condis and CC on top of the DR-less hammer smashing or absurd bleeding and burning damage just make it awful.

Is it that hard to (at least this) change the values a little bit in the regen?

Lol so true, warrior signet = warrior 2nd wind.

Such a bad design and every game has it

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

It was the same way in swtor for awhile. Marauders/Sentinels would destroy everything.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

also came from wow

also quit that game because every team had warrior spamming random one shots and having absurd survivability

i honestly don’t know why anet favors wars in this game so much

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

most of the devs play war. it’s evident based on the footage they show us. it’s always a war with healing signet.

meanwhile in the warrior section, they still think they’re the weakest class…

All is vain.

in PvP

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

most of the devs play war. it’s evident based on the footage they show us. it’s always a war with healing signet.

ANet didnĀ“t fix stealth, evades, AI combat, conditions, bunkers till now. But i dont think they play all the classes who abuse that….

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Only trolls

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Nabbo.2845

So you come from wow because you heard stealth thieves can kill ppl in oneshot and never ever be visible for anyone and after the warrior didn’t die here you are.I suggest fughting a guard or engie too or even mesmer ranger or thief with heal builds you will have a blast
Oh and welcome to gw2

I don’t even like thieves, I usually play classes and styles that I like (nearly 2000 games as Powershroud Necro) and I actually try to avoid FOTM classes because it is not fun.

By the way I started this game last summer and currently have a rank of 42 – not that new to the mechanics of GW2’s PvP

in PvP

Nabbo.2845

I was watching a dev play a warrior during the Edge of the Mists release and MAN that damage (sometimes nearly 20k with #2 on GS) is absurd. It reminds me of Mages in World of Warcraft – no matter the expansion you’d be okay playing them since most devs did as well.

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

People who complain about things such as this will be this games downfall. How many different threads are there claiming that Warriors are OP?

It is a true tell-tell sign of a games fall when a class finally gets balanced into some form of mediocrity in comparison to the other profession then having the lowest common denominator decide that it is now OP.

The Warrior is fine in its current state. You just need to learn to dodge, use stun breakers and stop just auto attacking. You will not be able to auto attack a Warrior to death anymore and for that you should be grateful. It actually takes skill to beat a skillful Warrior, imagine that!

If you are going to complain about something, complain about the things that need to be changed to get the game in a position to actually be considered a PvP game.

Address your AI issues, Stealth issues, Spamming issues, Perma Vigor issues, different forms of PvP instead of all conquest,… etc, etc…

The list goes on and on, but you are stuck on something that needs no change.

A decent Mesmer will still wreck any Warrior (sadly, I haven’t seen a decent Mesmer in this game since December). Same for Ranger, Guardian and Engineer.

It is sad and pathetic to see this thread in the Spvp section and clearly shows how low the skill level has fallen in this game. I would have expected something like this in the PvE section (for example: calling hundred blades absurd… seriously?).

in PvP

mini.6018

I was watching a dev play a warrior during the Edge of the Mists release and MAN that damage (sometimes nearly 20k with #2 on GS) is absurd. It reminds me of Mages in World of Warcraft – no matter the expansion you’d be okay playing them since most devs did as well.

100 blades OP / facepalm.A self rooting melee range 4 second casting time skill reminds you of ranged autotargetting instant nukes?

Impossible to continue reading these “opinons”.They speak volumes about the average forum poster.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

100 blades OP / facepalm.A self rooting melee range 4 second casting time skill reminds you of ranged autotargetting instant nukes?

Impossible to continue reading these “opinons”.They speak volumes about the average forum poster.

What you seemed to miss is the fact that in WvW, you have much more CC rolling out, making the landing of 100b much easier.

Or the fact that in PvE mobs don’t move out.

Besides, the axe’s autoattack pretty closely matches 100b in DPS. It’s just most people in spvp want the greatsword because getting to a point quick is more valued than eviscerate.

in PvP

mini.6018

Oh and welcome to gw2

I don’t even like thieves, I usually play classes and styles that I like (nearly 2000 games as Powershroud Necro) and I actually try to avoid FOTM classes because it is not fun.

By the way I started this game last summer and currently have a rank of 42 – not that new to the mechanics of GW2’s PvP

Oh so you are rank 42 and you believe warriors are like this ijln mmos? Especially in gw2? So you played since launch but somehow you never complained so far that warriors were free kills for the last 10 months before the changes.Yeah warrior september 2012-june 2013 was such a huge regen warrior type like in any mmo /sarcasm.

Ps :there are no op classes just builds .If there were you are playing the most ridiculously op one gw2 had to this date

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

warrior’s healing signet was weak in the past but now it is working nicely as intended.

warriors are not that overpowered.
besides, the hammer, long bow, etc will receive some adjustments in the next patch.

it is just that some of the other professions area weak and could use some buff.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

warrior’s healing signet was weak in the past but now it is working nicely as intended.

besides, the hammer, long bow, etc will receive some adjustments in the next patch.

it is just that some of the other professions area weak and could use some buff.

like what? as a thief i can’t even touch properly traited/geared warrior due to silly regen/tankiness; should they give more dmg to thieves? nice joke

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

like what? as a thief i can’t even touch properly traited/geared warrior due to silly regen/tankiness; should they give more dmg to thieves? nice joke

perhaps your thief is not doing enough damage? in team fights, warriors still go down every quickly under heavy focused fire.

and yes, properly trait-ed / geared warrior would have decent health regeneration and able to tank some damage. such warriors would be appear to be overpowered to professions who do not do enough damage or conditions.

warriors still die fast if enough damage / conditions are applied onto them.

i do not play a thief so i cannot comment on balancing thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

these types of threads never cease. people wont stop complaining. i think it must be easier for these people to complain than find ways to counter.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

a warrior defending warrior class in his current state have to be a rly bad warrior/player who fear he will never be on the rank again where he is now while smashing his face on keyboard

in PvP

Cynz.9437

perhaps your thief is not doing enough damage? in team fights, warriors still go down every quickly under heavy focused fire.

and yes, properly trait-ed / geared warrior would have decent health regeneration and able to tank some damage. such warriors would be appear to be overpowered to professions who do not do enough damage or conditions.

warriors still die fast if enough damage / conditions are applied onto them.

i do not play a thief so i cannot comment on balancing thieves.

you realize glass thieves hit for 6-9k backstabs in average…. and that is still not enough to bring war down…you honestly want thieves do even more dmg? get real

thieves have a lot of problems, but burst dmg buff would be last thing they need

if anything wars survival needs to be toned down

oh noes, warrior dies when few ppl focus him? WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Them not going down? /facepalm

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

People who complain about things such as this will be this games downfall. How many different threads are there claiming that Warriors are OP?

It is a true tell-tell sign of a games fall when a class finally gets balanced into some form of mediocrity in comparison to the other profession then having the lowest common denominator decide that it is now OP.

The Warrior is fine in its current state. You just need to learn to dodge, use stun breakers and stop just auto attacking. You will not be able to auto attack a Warrior to death anymore and for that you should be grateful. It actually takes skill to beat a skillful Warrior, imagine that!

If you are going to complain about something, complain about the things that need to be changed to get the game in a position to actually be considered a PvP game.

Address your AI issues, Stealth issues, Spamming issues, Perma Vigor issues, different forms of PvP instead of all conquest,… etc, etc…

A decent Mesmer will still wreck any Warrior (sadly, I haven’t seen a decent Mesmer in this game since December). Same for Ranger, Guardian and Engineer.

It is sad and pathetic to see this thread in the Spvp section and clearly shows how low the skill level has fallen in this game. I would have expected something like this in the PvE section (for example: calling hundred blades absurd… seriously?).

Oh god, this post is so full of cliche arguments used time and time again by players in denial of the obvious. Warriors are basically Gods right now, and you would have to be blind not to see it.

When a class has high damage, high passive survival(while still keeping defensive cooldowns), very high mobility, yes that is broken and OP, just like in any other MMO where a class can achieve those things.

GW2 Professions can be broken down into these catagories:

1) Damage
2) Survival
3) CC
4) Mobility
5) Utility

Now you can look at a class like Elementalist and easily see how they can’t have all of these things at once. If you want to have decent survival as an Ele, you must give up a lot of damage, same if you want a lot of utility. If you look at a thief, you cannot have both damage and survival, but you get mobility. Necro has damage and decent passive survival, but takes a huge hit in mobility and utility.

What does warrior give up? He brings high damage, high survival, AND very high mobility. He also maintains a stun and a daze for CC with this setup.

The Warrior class overall is just a superior version of any other. Where most classes would get a +20% boost to bleeds, the Warrior gets +50%. Where most classes would get 20% reduction on certain skills, the warrior gets 20% reduction plus another bonus built into the trait. Where other classes have a 10 second weapon swap, the warrior has 5. Where other classes need to sacrifice a utility slot or 6 runes for 25% movement speed, the warrior need only spend 10 trait points.

The warrior class is just built to be more efficient, and right now with the combination of damage, regen, and mobility, warriors are juggernauts on steroids.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in PvP

mini.6018

a warrior defending warrior class in his current state have to be a rly bad warrior/player who fear he will never be on the rank again where he is now while smashing his face on keyboard

Give us a kitten break and stop the qq.Time to learn to play already.There are mesmers untoucheable and can oneshot my war in a blink of an eyeThere are plenty if builds out there that can faceroll a warrior from meditation guards to zerk eles’ rangers or mesmers.Did i even mention pet or terror necro?Try a power necro, try a s/d thief all you need is jalf a brain ans 2 fingers , 1 for spamming 3 and another for 2You can bind steal to mouse if you are that terrribe..And im not even that bad i can kill 2 fotm warriors easily on my zerker .Just start equiping damage if you wanna kill tanky builds.Oh wait, takes skill to play a zerker toon my bad.Anet plz nerf cuz i can only play lame bunker or condi/ai spam.Well if you play tanky plz kitten about failing at killing something.Heck even in pve you get kicked from parties if you dont bring the necesary dps.

Kitten ridiculous

(edited by mini.6018)

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

everybody knows that a warrior, in a 1v1 will get wrecked by most other professions. Its just that, when you saw 2-3 warriors coming at you in the past, you’d laugh and slaughter em. Now, you can hardly dent a single one without putting in some effort.
It’s simply no fun fighting stuff that takes effort.
/joke

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

Oh god, this post is so full of cliche arguments used time and time again by players in denial of the obvious.

Indeed yours is and every thread made about the “problem warrior”. All of these “nerf waerioer” , " to strwaong" threads are on this forum. It is pathetic.

You people wonder why the skill level of the game is falling faster than a rock in a well when you create threads like this.

You complain about Warrior bleeds when it is one of the 3 damaging conditions they have access too on weapons and the only one that they have major access to.

They only have burning on Longbow and Torment on sword offhand. Every other profession (minus Guardian) has multiple damaging conditions to cover their bleeds or whatever they want. You can easily cleanse the Warrior’s bleeds. You are the one at fault if you let it set. Every class has plenty of condition removal (hell most of them have Passive condition removal).

You are literally complaining about the class with the least conditions and boons.

These threads are really showing how bad the skill level has fallen since launch and I fear it will only continue the trend until the Spvp game mode is dead (which is not to far off by the numbers). It is only right I suppose with all the pros leaving and then the decent people staggering out one by one.

So continue to complain about things in this game while pushing 1 to win. Don’t worry, everyone is a winner in Guild Wars 2. Everyone is pro! E-sports all the way!

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

in PvP

Nabbo.2845

Oh and welcome to gw2

Oh so you are rank 42 and you believe warriors are like this ijln mmos? Especially in gw2? So you played since launch but somehow you never complained so far that warriors were free kills for the last 10 months before the changes.Yeah warrior september 2012-june 2013 was such a huge regen warrior type like in any mmo /sarcasm.

Ps :there are no op classes just builds .If there were you are playing the most ridiculously op one gw2 had to this date

Just go away

in PvP

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I was getting a chuckle at your satire until I realized you were being serious.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Attachments:

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

I was getting a chuckle at your satire until I realized you were being serious.

I felt the same way about all of these threads until I fully realized the majority of you actually think “One Hundred Blades” is a good “burst skill” for pvp. Or better yet, that Hammer Warrior is unbeatable. Such a joke, any decently skilled player will still kill a Warrior, it is just harder to auto attack him to death. Might have to use those utility skills, oh no!

in PvP

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

It is a well known fact. But only warrior players will insist that they are in a ‘ok position atm’ and to please not nerf them.

Me, I steer away from the meta. Not as a hipster choice but simply because it pleases me to play that way. I do rifle/SD engineer and eschew conditions.

All classes can kill me. It depends on the player.

That said, warriors are a joke. As a burst character I may take 1/4 of a warrior’s HP IF I take them by surprise. Afterwards my skills are on CD and I get the whole block block block, invuln invuln invul. They get close, they stun. In three or four hits they can kill me. I use my stun breaker, my dodges, but each time I spend doing anything but (trying) to hit them they are regenerating HP.

The regenerating HP is pretty much the clincher. They are invulnerable? They are regenerating. They are blocking? Regenerating. I’m stunned? They are regenerating. I try to gain some distance because, melee with stunners who can kill in three or four hits is suicide? Regenerating.

Eventually, a minute or so later, my bag of tricks is empty and they are at half HP and one of their stuns catches up with me and I sit there watching myself being killed while everything is on CD.

P.S. Unrelated. I fought a (mental age) child yesterday. He got kitten ed off his godly warrior got killed when I helped a team mate killing him. Next game he ignores the points, ignores the team, and only focuses on me. I took him across the map at least twice. Could not shake him off. Yes, the high HP, high armor, invulnerable, blocking, high regen character was able to keep up with me np. I spent the game on my back since he refused to stomp me and would just sit close and watch until my HP trickled to zero. Repeat.

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Give us a kitten break and stop the qq.Time to learn to play already.There are mesmers untoucheable and can oneshot my war in a blink of an eyeThere are plenty if builds out there that can faceroll a warrior from meditation guards to zerk eles’ rangers or mesmers.Did i even mention pet or terror necro?Try a power necro, try a s/d thief all you need is jalf a brain ans 2 fingers , 1 for spamming 3 and another for 2You can bind steal to mouse if you are that terrribe..And im not even that bad i can kill 2 fotm warriors easily on my zerker .Just start equiping damage if you wanna kill tanky builds.Oh wait, takes skill to play a zerker toon my bad.Anet plz nerf cuz i can only play lame bunker or condi/ai spam.Well if you play tanky plz kitten about failing at killing something.Heck even in pve you get kicked from parties if you dont bring the necesary dps.

Kitten ridiculous

The point is not if there are or not specs that beat warriors, but how well rounded those specs are.
A Meditation guard has some advantage against a HamBow warrior (still depends on some weapon/trait/utility choices, not every medi guard runs the same), but how does that medi guard behave against other classes, like engineers for example?

Warriors are not unbeatable, but some specs, like HamBow, are extremely solid AND versatile. They can handle a 1on1 on close/far against pretty much every spec (sometimes they’ll be at slight disdvantage, but it’s not like their are going to be demolished) while still being awesome on teamfights.
That kind of versatility should have a tradeoff, otherwise is just OP level.

in PvP

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

Warrior is one of fundamental classes for every RPG along with mage. In most games warriors are chosen by significant margin of players, thus developers make them the easiest class to play to avoid a lot of QQ.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Why are we still complaining about Warrior when the patch that is reducing the damage of Hamebow is incoming?

Yes, the regen will still probably be there; but let me remind you that Warrior did not become viable until their healing was buffed. Skills and traits such as Berserker Stance and Cleansing Ire were never, ever called OP before the healing buffs. Therefore, it stands to reason that any significant nerf to their healing will send them back into being a free kill.

I suspect several users on here want exactly that. They have no interest in balance, rather they just want to go back to not having to worry about them. As for Healing Signet being passive I don’t really see the issue. While yes, they don’t have to worry about activating it the fact that it’s active is terrible means it’s weak to poison. I keep seeing people saying that they should reduce it’s passive and increase it’s active heal but I can’t see that ever working out well. Either it becomes even more powerful – or more likely – it becomes worthless.

The whole concept of warriors in the fantasy genre is typically that they don’t relay on magic to stay in the fight. Giving them Protection would make them too much like a Guardian and we already have a flat healing skill in the form of Surge so regen is the only other option. Once again, it seems some people cough just want Healing Sig to be worthless; that’s not balance.

I still maintain that Warrior is going to be the template for ANets balancing decisions from now on. It’s good in all 3 game modes, feels suitably unique, and has a variety of build options with room to experiment. I don’t see how going around destroying that variety is going to help things. I didn’t like when they crushed certain Ele, Thief, and Ranger builds into the dust and I don’t want to see it repeated here.

Them making small changes may not be what you want, but making wide-spread nerfs isn’t the answer. The real solution is them buffing the specs of other classes so that they can counter Hambow, just like Warrior was buffed to counter Necros and Spirit Rangers. Power Creep doesn’t apply as much if they get it right.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

(edited by BurrTheKing.8571)