What to dodge, a friendly guide :)

in PvP

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

Hello all!

This is an attempt to make a community-driven guide to list for each class and builds the most imporant skills that have to be dodged.

These are often talked about in seperate threads, so I would like to concentrate these tips in one thread. Feel free to contibute, I will edit the OP as the discussion goes!

For maximum efficiency please state what those skills look like and their effects, let’s be newbie friendly.

Last updated: 04/06/2013

Guardian

Warrior

Engineer

Ranger

Thief

Elementalist
D/D
-Churning earth:
“Make the earth churn, crippling nearby foes before unleashing a seismic wave that damages and bleeds them.” A 3s15 cast with large AoE circle. If you are close to the channeling elem you will be crippled and may need to actively dodge, otherwise you can easily walk out. Many elems will cast their shocking aura (stun on hit) while channeling this, so watch out.
-Updraft + Burning Speed + Fire grab combo: after knocking you down in air attunement (at close range) the elem will rush towards you in fire attunement to hit you with a burning explosion and then cast fire grab (hard hitting melee spell). This has a long cooldown but is painful. A general rule is to dodge roll right after knock down is over, or use stun braker.

Mesmer
Sw/P
-The main combo:
After building up some clones the mesmer will shoot a hardly avoidable stun at you then immobilize you, before jumping in to slash you with his sword while invulnerable, and a shatter is usually done at the same time in order to burst down the target.
Two things to notice: when many clones are up the mesmer is building up for a shatter, expect it; and the immobilization skill has a very distinctive sound effect.
This combo will be off cooldown quite often. Do not use any dispells or evading technique untill you get immobilized otherwise they are wasted.

GS
- Phantasmal berseker:
“Create a phantasm that uses a whirling attack to damage and cripple foes. "
This skill is quite damaging, and cripples you, which makes you even more vulnerable to mesmer abilities.
The animation (3/4s) for this skill is rather easy to spot: the mesmer raises his GS with a purple aura. You can expect it: it is usually launched right after the mesmer switches to GS, which attack is very specific (mesmer-style beam). If you expect it you can blind the mesmer so that this attack misses, otherwise dodge the attack; if you failed both then dodge the phantasmal berseker’s attack (and you may consider killing it afterwards).

Necromancer

Additional PvP tips from the forums:

Kravick
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/i-hated-burst-in-wow-but/first#post2136380

Ahuba
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Dodge-worthy-skills/first#post2134775

TBC

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

(edited by Zelyhn.8069)

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

These threads have been done before, and while they are appreciated attempts at helping the community, they simply do not work. Most of this is remedied through “Experience” of trial and error. Essentially being blown up from the first gigantic Ele explosion and then remembering not to stand in the big red circle the next time.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

Zelyhn.8069

Sure, I understand, and it makes sense. However if we want to push the community in the right direction, i.e. being more competitive, then it is necessary to give some hints for people to understand how to handle PvP.

Prevention is better than cure, I guess :)

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

in PvP

Zelyhn.8069

Indeed, but it is simply a list as opposed to this thread’s initiative, which is more of a guide.

Iportant things to consider: what the the animations look like, what they do, when they are likely to occur, how to counter them, what is the follow up etc..
A simple list does not tell anything. I started this thread after reading Kravick’s post as I found its form and content to be very helpful.

Anyway, maybe one of these threads should be made a sticky!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

What to dodge is more class specific imo then just a blanket answer. As a gc war for example, I try to evade all movement impairment so I can get to the target.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

melee war,.just give them a cripple, they cant hit you

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: Archer Henchman.2534

Archer Henchman.2534

Its also time, condition and position dependent.

If a mesmer has his ileap on cooldown, I don’t give a kitten if he magic bullets me. If I’m on a guardian and an ele updrafts me at full hp around the point I’m on, I don’t give a kitten. I’d give a kitten if he updrafts me off the point, or if he’s just set up a spike on me, though.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

Guardian:

Torch:
Zealot’s fire
Hammer:
Banish
Zealot’s Embrace
Focus:
Shield of Wrath
Ray of Judgement (if you’re a condi class!)
Greatsword:
Whirling Wrath
Binding Blade
Leap of Faith
Utilities:
Hammer of Wisdom

Warrior:
Greatsword:
Hundred Blades
Whirlwind Attack
Blade Trail
Rush
Hammer:
Earth Shaker
Staggering Blow
Back Breaker
Longbow:
Arcing Arrow
Pin Down
RIfle:
Volley
Kill Shot
Axe (mainhand)
Eviscerate
Throw axe (depending on spec)
Mace (mainhand):
Skull Crack
Pommel Bash
Sword (mainhand):
Flurry
Utilities:
Bulls charge
Bolas

Engineer:
Rifle:
Netshot
Overcharged shot
Jump shot
Bomb kit:
Fire bomb
Concussion bomb
Grenade kit:
Shrapnel grenade
Freeze Grenade
Tool kit:
Pry bar
Magnet
Elites:
Supply crate

I’ll do more later, maybe even a description. Lots of things to dodge out there!

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: ozzero.3892

ozzero.3892

thiefs
when u see basilk venom is on evade or stun breaker
heart seeker- with full initiative he can leap 6-7 thimes (no include steal becouse stealing gives initiative and deals dmg in some builds)
cluster bomb again 6-7 times but its easy to doge if he is shooting from far distance

in PvP

Zelyhn.8069

Please be more specific! Tell us about what the combo implied is, how it works, not just the name of the skill involved
Thank you all for your contributions!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Dodge what is going to hurt your build the most. While Ostrich has named some general skills you should avoid, in reality you can’t avoid everything so you must prioritize.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt