When custom maps are in, hotjoin needs to go

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

Dear Anet, once custom maps are out, so people can test stuff in a controlled environment, practice, duel, etc. hotjoin needs to just go. It teaches new players all sorts of bad habits as it is not an actual reflection, even remotely of what serious tourneys are like (which is why it is also bad for testing builds). If you get rid of it you will have a lot more people to queue to tourneys and can support separate queues and rankings for solo queue and premades, which also needs to happen. Yes I’m aware the premade queue would be longer, but so what, full pugs vs full premades isn’t good for either.

New players will then just solo queue and if the matching system works (cough) they’ll get matched up with and against lower rank players, and even if they get their kitten kicked, at least it will be kicked in an actual tourney environment where they can watch how the more experienced players are playing and actually learn how to play conquest from the start.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

But then it wouldn’t be noob….i mean “casual” friendly.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Custom arenas will replace hotjoins, that’s a fact, don’t worry. But you can’t create maps, only give rules for the map.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

Dear Anet, once custom maps are out, so people can test stuff in a controlled environment, practice, duel, etc. hotjoin needs to just go. It teaches new players all sorts of bad habits as it is not an actual reflection, even remotely of what serious tourneys are like (which is why it is also bad for testing builds). If you get rid of it you will have a lot more people to queue to tourneys and can support separate queues and rankings for solo queue and premades, which also needs to happen. Yes I’m aware the premade queue would be longer, but so what, full pugs vs full premades isn’t good for either.

New players will then just solo queue and if the matching system works (cough) they’ll get matched up with and against lower rank players, and even if they get their kitten kicked, at least it will be kicked in an actual tourney environment where they can watch how the more experienced players are playing and actually learn how to play conquest from the start.

Custom Arena’s alone aren’t enough to really replace hotjoins. They would also need unranked 5v5 matches, which they said are coming as well.

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

It is true that custom arenas will “replace” hot-join, but they can fill the same role. If someone wants their server to be setup exactly like our current hot-join servers, that’s cool!

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Knowing this, my only concerns is – will there be a free version of custom arenas, or will it require someone using gems to set one up?

This is, of course, based on seeing the custom arena tokens leaked earlier this year. It would be a shame to lose this from the base features of the game (realize its way to early to be actually concerned – mostly just curious).

in PvP

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

The lack of solo-only queue in tPvP is what makes hotjoin still needed. If they will make a proper solo-queue I will be fine with hotjoin going down. Or leave hotjoin but make it pure deathmatch game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Is it possible to see some ranked Custom Arenas in the near future?

in PvP

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Knowing this, my only concerns is – will there be a free version of custom arenas, or will it require someone using gems to set one up?

This is, of course, based on seeing the custom arena tokens leaked earlier this year. It would be a shame to lose this from the base features of the game (realize its way to early to be actually concerned – mostly just curious).

I’m very interested in hearing more about this as well. Having custom arenas being gem-only concerns me quite a bit.

in PvP

Posted by: Socram.6587

Socram.6587

What for? This can’t really work, as each custom server can be set up differently.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Setting up custom arenas is going to cost gems, but picking and playing them from the list will be free, except for the private (password-protected) ones. I don’t have a problem with that.

I have, however, a problem with the lack of means to get copper/ silver/ gold currency through pvp. This will force many players to play pve and farm or do some dungeons to pay for their own custom servers.

I’m hoping the devs will be able to address this, and reward pvp players with coins. At the very least, for ranked matches. A normal (ranked) match takes, what, 10 minutes? Considering you’ll lose several of them (let’s suppose half the time), and in 40 minutes, the average of wins might be 2 in 4. In 40 (or less) minutes, you can finish a dungeon in pve for 60 silver coins (+ pve loot). This means that each ranked match won could be worth, say, some 20-30 silver (+ typical pvp loot); and, if the devs think it might help the community, each lost match be worth some 1-5 silver coins.

Likewise, normal matches (hotjoin or custom severs) could be worth some copper coins. Yes, normal matches can be set up, customised and farmed. But let’s be fair, it’s not very different than farming easy events in pve, isn’t it? You’re investing your time and not your skill in pve’s events. And with each event offering around 1 silver, so could each normal match. And, the devs can always make it competitive. For example, offering coins of copper per each top stat rewarded, extra coins of copper for the victorious team, coins of copper for total points received (with a cap, so players at 8v8 don’t have any advantage), allowing players to play more skillfully (and NOT leaving matches earlier :P).

I feel that the combination of custom arenas and copper/ silver rewards in pvp, both in the same update’s patch, could drastically increase the interest and appeal of this game’s pvp. I know I would play it more often. Now I do it either for casual hotjoin fun or competitive fun while attempting to get my name on the leaderboard. Custom arenas will make me invest more time because it’ll add diversity to pvp. And I know that silver rewards would also make me spend more time in pvp, and less in pve, even if I don’t care about renting custom servers, because I’m a pve/ pvp hybrid player.

They would also need unranked 5v5 matches, which they said are coming as well.

That’s what custom arenas will allow you to do as well.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I hope people won’t get glory from custom arenas. Else someone can just “sync” their rank

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I hope people won’t get glory from custom arenas. Else someone can just “sync” their rank

The devs mentioned earlier that they allrdy took this issue into consideration.
I’m wondering how this is working, when you can lock defending skills and toggle down-state. These settings would even encourage the glory-zerging.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

What for? This can’t really work, as each custom server can be set up differently.

Im thinking maybe a different set up becomes very popular and ppl want to compete in it..Lets say that deathmatch 3v3 is very fun,everyone is playing it but still the top teams have to play the existing set up which it may be less fun.I dont think that devs can create the perfect game mode,they created a very interesting combat system but its all in the pvp community to find the right balance for it..

in PvP

Posted by: Gummi.4310

Gummi.4310

Why I like hotjoin:
- No roster queueing and match start waiting timer
- Map variation
- Bigger teams
- When someone leaves you can get a replacement
- It’s possible to face people from all levels; much better and worse

The tournament system has way too much waiting time and constant leavers ruining any chances of a decent match. I’m not going to jump through hoops because of a silly reward chest or a higher rating on the kittenboard.

Yes custom arenas might offer what hotjoin does now, but then I’d have to worry about the match rules.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

They’ll keep some hotjoin servers for sure, just not the 300+ they have atm lol. Custom arenas will be nice for community building and for organising unofficial tournaments with some prizes.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

cool cause as a solo quer it makes me sick to think my ques will fill with even more hot join peeps

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

At least the 8 vs. 8 needs to be removed. I only started some days ago when Spirit Watch was at tournament rotation and played about 20 tournament matches of all maps since then in rotation and I think Spirit Watch, Temple of the Silent Storm and Forest of Nifhel are too small for 16 players. Only Foefire I’d say is okay for 8 vs. 8.

Don’t know much about the Kyhlo and Capricorn but from the few matches I played months ago I think they also are better vor 5 vs. 5.

Maybe once there spectator/ observer mode is ready they could allow for hotjoins to have some spectators and if some players playing the match leave the spectators could join a team… to make it faster balanced again in numbers of players(that they don’t need for someone else to connect). In 5 vs. 5 it probably could be a problem if it takes too longe because a single player leaving makes a bigger difference than with 8 players.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I’d say official 8v8’s have to go. Official 5v5’s can stay. Custom arenas can have any number of players up to 10. I would do it this way. Sometimes it’s fun to play 8v8, but don’t make it mainstream.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hot join can stay only if they throw players into 16 players rooms and not 10 players room.

10 players rooms are kinda public dueling rooms for some.

in PvP

Luthan.5236

hot join can stay only if they throw players into 16 players rooms and not 10 players room.

Not if Custom Arenas get implemented. Then you have to buy some Custom Arena item to make a 2 players duel room for a limited amount of time.

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

hotjoin should only be 5v5 same as tournament pvp….its silly to think they’d change the dynamic that much. I suppose from now there isnt too much to worry about because they have the option for 5v5 as well as 8v8 but thats like saying oh its okay non ranked summoners rift from LoL can be 8v8. That’d be nuts….8 people split over 3 nodes is stupid….if your going to do 8v8 there should be 5 nodes or something. All just IMO of course.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Not if Custom Arenas get implemented. Then you have to buy some Custom Arena item to make a 2 players duel room for a limited amount of time.

well unless they remove all the public 10 players room, people will still use those public 10 players room for dueling purposes.

in PvP

Luthan.5236

Another way would be to have “unraked matches” instead of hotjoin. A matchmaking to make groups of 5 like with the tournament but the matches not affecting your rating. I think hotjoin has a lot of problems with people leaving and joining and then no wait time before a match(someone seemed to like this… I hate it.. people left after previous match ended and at the beginning of new match 3 vs 5 or something like that until others join).

Server browser then only to display the Custom Arenas. I explained it also here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Does-anyone-play-PvP-Just-for-Fun/first#post1873186

And of course duel people then would be forced to use their own duel server or one hotjoin of someone else(who probably could kick them if they did not play real).

… still waiting for a duel function. If not for this patch then for some of the next patches. Game still is not even 1 year old. Would be nice if they could implement it until August.

in PvP

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

I personally think 8 vs 8 is too large. 6v6 or 7v7 would be better in my opinion. With less people you don’t have to be a bunker to buy some time for your team to show up when defending. In 8v8 if you have 3-4 people coming up to you then you better run.

in PvP

Posted by: Vence.6974

Vence.6974

Nope, anet don’t completely remove hotjoins. Both can easily coexist

The Yellowflash of GW2

in PvP

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Hotjoin is a different game to tournament. Just because some people get bent out of shape because they went to a hotjoin once and noone obeyed ‘the rules of engagement for conquest’ does not invalidate what it is there for. It is there for breaking-and-entering, smash-and-grabbing… I-don’t-actually-care-for-coordinating-right-now-cheers.

And it happens to be awesome. Sometimes far more awesome than tournaments that are usually decided before the whistle blows based on classes, specs and failed match system.

Tiger

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

I’m very interested in hearing more about this as well. Having custom arenas being gem-only concerns me quite a bit.

Just pray you can buy in with a currency you get for PvP’ing.

(edited by garethh.3518)