When is going far a good idea?

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Hello everyone just want to have a little discussion on when is it a good idea to cap far! Personally i am of the mindset that when you start the game 1 bunker home 1 bunker mid and the other 3 players help cap mid. After mid is capped harass far but prioritize holding mid and home. I have been reading about people who like to go far at the beginning of a match to be fair I want to see if we can discuss when and under what circumstances is it a good idea to cap far.

For me going far is only a good idea when mid is lost for example in the beginning of a match if mid is going to be lost 2 high mobility dps players rush far to be able to take out the enemy bunker stationed there. That way mid is lost but you still control the fight basically making something out of nothing. Also this tactic might pull some players off mid and your bunker and other dps might have a chance to cap. This is just a quick “what if” scenario where I see going far can actually be affective.

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

People like to go far at the beginning because they believe they can win, when they don’t win, they’ve basically just messed everyone up in mid. So safest option is to start by going to mid and then, if the enemy is over-zealous, they will leave their point and you can go cap it or decap it.

The only time I go far is when there’s a 5v4 in mid and I know I can get a decap OR when I know a decap on far is THE ONLY way my team can come back into the match.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

Depends on the situation, if far is not protected, decapping should be okay, cause the enemy takes much longer.
But I dont think there is a general answer to that, but to get some map awareness.

#ELEtism

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

yep. depends on your team comp and enemy team comp. sometimes you can deny the far cap for so long, that it forces your enemy team to move at least one other player to far, producing an outnumbered fight in mid, which, supported by your close holder (provided they don’t harass close themselves) should come to a quick end. with 3 people on respawn, 2 further members (high dps professions, thief+mesmer pain train for example) of your team can push far, provided your harasser still has the decap and decide the fight for your team. you’ve now forced the enemy team into snowballing in 3v5 and 2v5 situations. gg

of course, this only applies to perfect plays. never do risky kitten like this in yoloQ or with a team you are not 100% in sync with

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: Aphoticrain.8420

Aphoticrain.8420

In soloq I generally push far at the start if we all kitten ed on who would take home. If I can win the fight I will if not I’ll stall long enough for us to catch up on our home point and head mid.

FA | [Corp],[FARM]| Ranger- Clockwork Vixen
Give a man a fire and he’s warm for a day, but set a man on fire . . .

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Really it all starts with what comp is against what comp.
In some matches, pushing far is just a bad idea in any situation
And in other matches, pushing far constantly is always a good idea
This discussion is honestly too elaborate for the forums
You would need to be live on TS to thoroughly cover this subject
But here is one example of when pushing far is actually the only option:

You’re in the clocktower and your team composition consists of 2 bunker guardians, 2 hambow warriors and a turret engi. The other team has 2 staff eles, 2 rangers and a Thief. Trying to play mid in this fight with your slow comp of DPSers that won’t be able to chase the eles and the rangers up top, is suicidal. This is but one extreme situation when pushing far and holding home is the only option because you will need to keep the eles and rangers in the open where the hambows can actually CC them and kill them, not to mention that your team comp “split in to two groups” will be a stronger 2 group split than the enemy team’s comp split in to 2 on 2 points. Ideally here, leave 2 of your men at home “as it is closer to respawn and dying players can rotate quickly and efficiently there” and then push far with 3.

But again this is all situational
Many people believe Home/Mid are the essential points to keep
I personally feel that Home is the only essential point
And that Mid/Far will take 2nd priority depending on what map and what team composition you are up against, in conjunction with what your team comp is capable of dealing with

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Pushing far has some distinct upsides. In principle, and at it’s simplest, pushing far point is about punishing your opponents for overcommitting their resources (players) to other areas of the map. So with that in mind, it’s a good time to push far when:

• it’s the start of the match and your composition favors your team against their presumed back point bunker, or you’re looking to avoid a full team fight against their mid bunker

• the mid fight has become prolonged and your opponents have pushed their home bunker to mid to compensate for a lost teammate due to kill or to bring additional dps in an effort to score a kill

• the opposing team has pushed 3 or 4 to your home point without pressuring mid. in this case you’re simply “flipping the map” and repositioning your team accordingly, which essentially puts your opponents back at square 1

• any time the opposition has left the point undefended and your team can spare a man to go decap it or take it without causing a team fight to be lost

If nothing else, just harassing far point can be a good way to keep your opponent honest and prevent them from pushing too aggressively to other areas of the map. Even in a defensive posture the best defenses still include some offense – think of it like a boxer’s jab.

Where the far push generally goes wrong is when it becomes steady or static. GW2 PvP offers and requires a lot of tactical flexibility. As with everything, when something becomes overly used it then becomes familiar and thusly becomes easily countered. The trick is take it when it’s available and not sell out so whole-heartedly that your team cripples itself by continuing with a tactic the enemy has figured out how to deal with.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

(edited by hackks.3687)

in PvP

Posted by: igsy.8027

igsy.8027

Go far → Cap Close → Close goes to Mid → Profit from Close + 2 neutral points.

Enemy gets tied down 1-4 with no caps.

All you then have to do is not die on far + watch out for anyone (especially Thieves) disengaging from the mid fight.