When is it okay to run?

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: carlos the dwarf.1038

carlos the dwarf.1038

I was defending a point against 1 player the other day, when 2 of his friends showed up. I hung around a bit longer but as soon as I was below half health I just abandoned the point.

Anyways, one of them calls me out on it, saying he didn’t run when there were a whole bunch of us on him. I just told him I don’t care what he does, but everyone else started arguing about it.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on this:
If you’re dying and you don’t run, you’re an idiot
If you run, you’re a noob

I personally don’t care for being a hero and giving them 5 points while I wait for up to 20 secs to respawn since I’m not a bunker ele/guardian that can hold for that long against several players anyway, but if it’s a 1v1 and I’m losing, I’ll be willing to fight until I die. It is pretty annoying having noobie thieves just stealth running from a 1v1 cause they know they lost.

I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on this. Is it ever okay to run?

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

I think you were smart to run.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Noctred.6732

Noctred.6732

It’s situational.

If you can delay multiple players long enough for your team to cap another point, then it can be worth dying.

If you can delay long enough for your team to get to your point and support you, then it can be worth staying and getting downed, especially if your support has rez utility.

If the enemy team is over-committing to your point while your team is preoccupied then it’s usually better to just leave and support another point to punish them unless you know you can delay without getting blown up instantly (depends on the classes involved).

If you’re getting owned in a 1v1 and you’re not getting any support any time soon then it’s probably okay to bail – no reason to give up 5 points unless you die on point and can keep it neutral long enough for somebody else to get there.

IMO anyways.

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

If you’re going to lose and you can still get away, do it. Saves respawn time, wastes the enemy’s time, and if you get away you can regroup faster. If you can come up with a counter attack afterward and get the initiative, you may even come out on top. That said, the balance is, you should try not to give up too early, if you can still be a pain or still kite then do so.
Also, when in a group, devote some of your focus to aiding your teammates. Deserting too early is way worse then running from a 1 on 1 too early.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

If it is a point you control, unless its a 3+v1 you should stay and fight, and if you are a bunker you should fight vs 3, and make sure you die on the node. If you run then they no longer have to commit more than 1 person to the point and there’s a good chance you won’t escape death by running.

The time spent avoiding death + the period of time you are in the downstate on the point should result in more points than giving them the point even if it was certain you would get away every time if you ran.

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Eddie.9143

Eddie.9143

bounce brah, unless you’re in a tourny die on the node. otherwise high tail it outta there! it’s all about the points dude! you’re playing wrong if you’re not getting 200+ a match

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Yinn.6507

Yinn.6507

Tourney or hotjoin, only run if you won’t get help and you are 99% sure you can make it out (which is often not the case). If you know help might be coming, just die on it. So, as a rule of thumb, just die on the point.

Basically, imagine you’re bunker-ing mid, and your teammates are having a hard time to win the fight at your natural point. All of a sudden, two guys pop out and give you a hard time at the middle point. If you die, the enemy will immediately reinforce the assault on your natural point which makes it even harder on your newbish teammates to secure the natural. If and only if you can run away successfully, it is a good idea to do so if you know no one is going to help you. What happens is that you can actually help your teammates at the natural point and win the fight and then following up with an assault to mid as a team of 4. But this won’t happen most often because you’ll be only under heavy pressure if 2 or 3 shows up, which means only one will stay behind to capture the node and the the rest hound you you death while you make your way to the natural.

So what usually happens is that if two enemy pops out of nowhere and give you a hard time at middle, your team should have no problems defending the natural with the number advantage/respawn. What you want to do here is to delay the enemy as long as possible for your teammates to come and save the day.

Anyways in hot joins I just roam around and kill things.

(edited by Yinn.6507)

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

You’re not supposed to win a 2v1 situation anyways. For the most part.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

Depends if you can hold the point for 10 seconds or not.
Yes? > Die on node.
No? > Run. Don’t feed them 5 free points.
I’ve had plenty of games where the game is decided by 5-10 points.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

It’s situational.

If you can delay multiple players long enough for your team to cap another point, then it can be worth dying.

If you can delay long enough for your team to get to your point and support you, then it can be worth staying and getting downed, especially if your support has rez utility.

If the enemy team is over-committing to your point while your team is preoccupied then it’s usually better to just leave and support another point to punish them unless you know you can delay without getting blown up instantly (depends on the classes involved).

If you’re getting owned in a 1v1 and you’re not getting any support any time soon then it’s probably okay to bail – no reason to give up 5 points unless you die on point and can keep it neutral long enough for somebody else to get there.

IMO anyways.

^ This. It’s depends highly on the situation. It needs a wise judgment call based on the points.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

bounce brah, unless you’re in a tourny die on the node. otherwise high tail it outta there! it’s all about the points dude! you’re playing wrong if you’re not getting 200+ a match

200 a match in sPvP is dependent on getting into a strong zerg, of course. Put you on a weak team with no zerg and there will be no 200+, regardless of how right you do it.

Now, young males like to brag they will get 200+ even if they are on a weak, losing team…but that’s younger males for you. We all know how that goes.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I duel joined a tourney with my friend, after it finally pop (about 3 people had gone offline and we had to continuously reque) my internet lagged and died. So it was him and 3 others vs 5. He held 4 of them off on a point for almost all of the match, almost dropped on of them and then that guy he almost dropped ran off.

In tourney I will stay as long a possible (bunkerish ele spec) and holding v 3 is very beneficial, means your 4 has to only fight 2. In hot join I will kd all they zerging enemies I can then run to the point they just took. If your not a bunker then you could not compete with that guy that said you were a chicken. He is probably built to last forever vs 3 or 4 guys. Unless you had the same build or something similar he is just as chicken, hiding behind his in his tank, saying how he can hold out longer then you in a jeep.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Depends, if your a bunker build or a glass cannon. If your a glass cannon just run immediately, you won’t stall long enough for it to really matter, and your respawn timer will hurt the team more than you giving up the point a few seconds earlier.

If you’re a bunker, fight to the death on the spot, thats you’re job. if you hold out long enough there’s a chance that help will come in time. At worst, if you’re good you will stall them more than enough for your team to take other objectives.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Mufa.1326

Mufa.1326

It is ok to run….whenever you feel like you should do it…do not let people tell you how to enjoy your character, play it the way you want.
Most of those people calling themselves pros and trying to tell others how to play their character are jokes anyway. 1v1 them, and you will see.

Soko D Medo

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

do not let people tell you how to enjoy your character, play it the way you want.

I don’t even get how this line of reasoning comes into your mind. He came to the thread asking for advice, it wasn’t a flame thread started by someone telling him how to play his character.

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Mufa.1326

Mufa.1326

Seether, I guess calling people noobs for using mobility as defensive mechanic is not “telling people how to play or not play their characters”?

Soko D Medo

When is it okay to run?

in PvP

Posted by: Infectious.4836

Infectious.4836

Depends if you can hold the point for 10 seconds or not.
Yes? > Die on node.
No? > Run. Don’t feed them 5 free points.
I’ve had plenty of games where the game is decided by 5-10 points.

This should have been the first and last post of the thread TBH.
Although I would make it closer to 20 seconds to make it worth the respawn timer.