Where is the 2v2, 3v3 competitive arenas?

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

I have no game to play!

i know myself and about 15-20 people who all feel the same way. not much for choice of quality mmos with player bases these days. at least the list for mmos for the next year looks potentially pretty good.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Boggs.6482

Boggs.6482

I knew the answer to this before we ever had dev confirmation. Arenanet has seemingly no clue what its playerbase wants. If they do know, they don’t care. They’ll force feed us content no one wants and pretend its working until ncsoft cuts them off.

“We may never do them”

in PvP

Posted by: Aqrisae.9058

Aqrisae.9058

I’m just here to show my support for this particular game mode. I have several friends that are very interested in Gw2, as they really like the combat and all. But the one thing they want most is a rated 2v2 or 3v3 pvp mode without any objective other than killing the enemy team.
Also, an in-game leaderboard would have to be implemented to support this game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Don’t want to do it, because it could split an already small pvp player base into two smaller groups. also, there are complaints that it would screw up balancing the current conquest setup.

1. just implement it, don’t worry about balance, let people play what they want to play.
2. if people like it, it could bring in more players – which is what everyone would like. the top players are going to play where more players are
3. if everyone moves to it and it becomes more popular than conquest , then maybe conquest was the wrong system to be the primary focus of pvp.
4. profit

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

While I posted above to agree it would be fun, you guys should keep one thing in mind: nobody who DOESN’T want arena-style TDM bothers to post in these threads. So you’re basically shouting into an echo chamber and getting a seriously inflated impression of how popular such a gamemode would be. Let’s face it, if people REALLY wanted it, there’d be more custom arenas running it.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

While I posted above to agree it would be fun, you guys should keep one thing in mind: nobody who DOESN’T want arena-style TDM bothers to post in these threads. So you’re basically shouting into an echo chamber and getting a seriously inflated impression of how popular such a gamemode would be. Let’s face it, if people REALLY wanted it, there’d be more custom arenas running it.

Eh, we tend to know how popular it is, not because of the forums but a chain of friends, networking and other games, not necessarily because of who says it on the forums.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

also if that were totally true you wouldn’t see so many anti-duelers in dueling threads. not that there isn’t some validity to what you said, but not totally accurate either.

in PvP

oneply.9586

also if that were totally true you wouldn’t see so many anti-duelers in dueling threads. not that there isn’t some validity to what you said, but not totally accurate either.

and there have been several detractors in the multiple threads about this

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

I want this so bad. Can we get one where our ranks determine the points we get (bottom half % gets 0.3 of what top gets) weekly that we can buy new skins with?

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I doubt this would split the community much…since these matches would actually START without playing the wait-in-line simulator for 10 minutes aka Unranked/Ranked Queue in Heart of the Mists.

Meaning people would actually get to pvp, and more people would probably use this instead.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I would love to see the PvP population grow, and I really think this can help! We’ll have to wait and see how stronghold changes stuff first though.

I for one would not leave conquest for 2v2 or 3v3. But I think ronpierce is right when he say that this may attract a lot of people from wow! The combat system is way better, there’s no monthly fee, better graphics, depth etc. Win/Win if you ask me. :p

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I doubt this would split the community much…since these matches would actually START without playing the wait-in-line simulator for 10 minutes aka Unranked/Ranked Queue in Heart of the Mists.

Meaning people would actually get to pvp, and more people would probably use this instead.

any time you enter a queue, there is a wait time.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

gw1 RA queues were about 30 secs… back in my day… GET OFF MY lawn u kids

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

back in my day, the timer never reset when looking for a team, so it could have been less than 30 seconds!

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Arena ques would actually be incredibly fast, which is another huge plus. Conquest ques arent strictly a population issue. In addition to population, there is a matchmaking factor which makes it hard to solidify not only any group, but a group of 10 people versus say 4 in a 2v2. So arenas take fewer people and have less restriction barriers. You already can see it in WoW. BGs can have 4-6 min ques, arena skirmishes can take like 30 sec to 1.5 min.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I want this so bad. Can we get one where our ranks determine the points we get (bottom half % gets 0.3 of what top gets) weekly that we can buy new skins with?

rank determining what skins you can buy?

Oh that was an original idea.
Called Glory.
Great system.

The thing I remember most about it was… I had a half million glory stashed. Took a break.
ALLLLLLL kittenING GONE.
Anet way of saying THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK!!!

I had 500+ match win reward chests….
POOOF those gone too.

Anet WELCOMING ME BACK.

I should know anet welcomes people back by kittening them hard.

Not even a reward, no nothing. Just a “well sorry you wasn’t around to do something about it”, “I know that’s like months worth of savings, but we went bankrupt and tough cookies for you”.

I have 411 laurels. Very very very curious if when I do take a break, will I get kittened hard again???

Man you brought bad memories of this game back to me.
As for 2v2 3v3, I dislike, there is a huge population people are unaware of, and this game really really encourages play by yourself and have fun, even though there’s over a MILLION players out there to play and party with, doesn’t matter if 95% of them aren’t pvp’ers, you can convert them but you chose not too, its not like theres a fine line between being a pvper and not, this is an integrated game. Asks for too much in 1, has benefits and weaknesses, having a huge playerbase is a benefit.

I think the play by yourself attitude should go out the window and they should encourage you to play with others, and not just 1 or 2 other people. Sure, I don’t mind you can solo everything in this game, but zero incentive to play with others, that’s just dumb.

2v2 3v3 wont solve people not playing with others, changing the system a bit, more incentives will bring that.

You really have to ask yourself what is your goal.
If its being esports, I really don’t see much fun watching 4 people/ 2v2 entertaining. LoL isn’t 2v2. StarCraft it was 1v1, but this game isn’t like neither of them. And I’m pretty sure WoW isn’t esports. WoW is like 9 or 10 times plus bigger than GW2, of course they wont have long wait times. divide the wait time by 9 or 10 and that’s what GW2 wait time would be like with a WoW population. Short wait times for WoW has nothing to do with WoW being a 2v2 3v3 type thing. If GW2 had WoW population the 3 min wait time would be a 20 second wait time.

I really don’t even consider this game an MMORPG anymore, because the zones, basically all instances. Everything is instanced. MMORPG you have that role playing feeling. MMORPG based on servers. With this new megaserver, its just all instanced you don’t have that roleplaying feeling anymore. Like going to the farming area and farming all day and your server knows your the person that farms that all day. Nope doesn’t happen in this game, its all instanced nobody cares, you barely see the same people again. In MMORPG’s your suppose to see the same people every now and then. Maybe works in PvP but in PvE it doesn’t work. This WvW, its somewhat like that but no, its just a competitive thing. The roleplaying in WvW isn’t that great, more like competitive playing.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Yes, with absolutely no matchmaking. It was a FIFO queue until they made few changes to discourage syncing.

in PvP

rotten.9753

Arena ques would actually be incredibly fast, which is another huge plus. Conquest ques arent strictly a population issue. In addition to population, there is a matchmaking factor which makes it hard to solidify not only any group, but a group of 10 people versus say 4 in a 2v2. So arenas take fewer people and have less restriction barriers. You already can see it in WoW. BGs can have 4-6 min ques, arena skirmishes can take like 30 sec to 1.5 min.

When I was playing LoL, the queue times were like 5-20 seconds and it wasn’t an arena. Hmm…

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

When I was playing LoL, the queue times were like 5-20 seconds and it wasn’t an arena. Hmm…

league also gets 100-300x more viewers on the official streams

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

This game was never intended to be Esports. It was something they hoped for, but was never an end goal. That’s been clearly expressed at launch and overly clarified at PAX.

Back on topic..

Can we receive better tools in incorporating 2v2 matchmaking in Custom Arenas?
-Voting, kick system to regulate the entire map, in case Moderators aren’t there to do so.
-A rotation system so Spectators can take turns entering the 1v1/2v2 map.
-Increase Spectator Mode to 50 people. Maps Player Limit still stays the same

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

rotten.9753

Because it’s a population issue mostly. You wait 2-3 minutes in queue on average not because the algorithm to find you a decent game is so sophisticated but because there are significantly less players than in games like LoL.

in PvP

insanemaniac.2456

Because it’s a population issue mostly. You wait 2-3 minutes in queue on average not because the algorithm to find you a decent game is so sophisticated but because there are significantly less players than in games like LoL.

yes, exactly

but the algorithms are fairly sophisticated anyways, because theres all kinds of barriers to matching players that arent similar

in PvP

oneply.9586

I think the play by yourself attitude should go out the window and they should encourage you to play with others, and not just 1 or 2 other people. Sure, I don’t mind you can solo everything in this game, but zero incentive to play with others, that’s just dumb.

the core mechanics of this game are the biggest hindrance towards team play. tank/dps/healer style games will always promote more team play than games where everyone can heal, support, tank, and dps…HOORAY!

arena will grow the pvp population
stronghold will grow the pvp population
all 3 game modes together will grow the pvp population

incentives and rewards mainly attract farmers and trolls.
a simple W/L system with no reward besides being the best of your peers attracts players who want to win. and this is what i think arena will atract.
stronghold will bring more pve players than pvp players. at least thats the trend ive seen in other games.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

I want arena styled PVP , no objectives just killing each other just like another game. This made the other game very popular on the side of PVP. Anyways GW2 is a great game just lacks PVP content, I want more pvp options and dueling and these 2v2/3v3 arenas can make it happen.

And the new mode shall be named:
PuPu Vs PuPu
Because all you will ever see there is 4 condi PU mesmers trying to kill each other with their illusions.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I want arena styled PVP , no objectives just killing each other just like another game. This made the other game very popular on the side of PVP. Anyways GW2 is a great game just lacks PVP content, I want more pvp options and dueling and these 2v2/3v3 arenas can make it happen.

PuPu Vs PuPu
Because all you will ever see there is 4 condi PU mesmers trying to kill each other with their illusions.

Actually PU was never part of the 2v2 meta when I played. The top teams were, if I remember correctly:
Spirit ranger + Thief
Engjneer + (shatter?) Mesmer
Mining Master + Spirit ranger
Hambow + Spirit ranger.

If anything, spirit ranger support has been a big part. Of course this was pre nature spirit nerf so my knowledge is a bit outdated. I just recently came back so I’ll have to check out the state of the Meta, but point is, what you would think would be common can sometimes surprise you.

I’m currently working on Minion Master + Aura Share Ele (Sharing wth Friends!) type comp.

1v1 cheese builds tend to not be as effective in 2v2s. Synergy is really key.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

PuPu Vs PuPu

even if this were true, if there were enough people playing and everyone was having fun, what would be the prob?

if it resulted in no one liking it and everyone staying in conquest, well devs didn’t do any balancing specifically for this, so then theres no foul. so where’s the downside to opening this type of arena?

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

PuPu Vs PuPu

even if this were true, if there were enough people playing and everyone was having fun, what would be the prob?

if it resulted in no one liking it and everyone staying in conquest, well devs didn’t do any balancing specifically for this, so then theres no foul. so where’s the downside to opening this type of arena?

PU mesmers will be difficult, but so will every other comp out there. I’ve seen shout war and guardian perform well too. It’s going to come down to which team composition gets countered less.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: JEFFARR.8163

JEFFARR.8163

Pvp is my fav game mode but if you want something depressing go to wvw forum
The only red sticky are concerning game bugs and things I’d that nature.
Devz arent focused on creating a new environment,and because of server transfers wvw probably generates more money than any other game mode and has the least attention

in PvP

Posted by: DZx.4927

DZx.4927

so….been awhile after HoT released, since we have a lil bit of breathing room, and with the balance patch and all coming up, any updates on this?

in PvP

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

How the actual kitten is this not a thing yet!!??? I don’t think you guys realize the potential this would have. Mmos like this simply have too much going on and are not fun to spectate when you are focusing 3 or even 2 points with a million micro actions you are missing because the camera only captures one. People like to watch clutch plays and feel like they are in those scary moments, and I know league of legends has the straying camera, but league also has a birds eye camera in a game that is not as detailed and complex as guild wars, and the complexity is not the bad part, the kitten game modes are.. Imagin how much more entertaining and exiting your esports would be when you can zoom in on the action all at once on the 2v2 in some kitten looking arenas that would be simplistic to create as they would require flat, fair playing fields with little to no obsticals.. And what better game to do it than this!! Let the current game modes fade into something for fun casual players like in world of Warcraft. You guys are missing your chance and it’s right in front of you, you have built a game that can host this format So PERFECTLY and the longer it takes you to get this out the more it hurts you. Hell I have played the game for 3 years and I don’t even watch pvp on twitch.. But you better believe if it goes arena il have that kitten on every time you have a tourney.

(edited by Arctarius.2649)

in PvP

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

I hope you guys don’t take what I said as a negative thing either, your window of opportunity is now, take advantage of this before some other new game copies you guys and does.. It would kill me to see another game get successful off of what you guys clearly already have here. Guild wars 2 for life.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

We’re aware of the community desire for these sort of arenas, but at this time we do not want to fragment the player base by having more than two arenas at a time.

Then add it instead of Stronghold.
I think you don’t have to always overcomplicate things and the community would have received a simple arena more positively than that.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

[/quote]
Or rotate the game modes. One week it’s stronghold one week it’s arena if there is demand for both.
Players should be able to vote on forums about what they want from a set of choices.

(BTW: arenas could have some traps similar to guild arena)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

We’re aware of the community desire for these sort of arenas, but at this time we do not want to fragment the player base by having more than two arenas at a time.

I think you don’t have to always overcomplicate things and the community would have received a simple arena more positively than that.

you do realize that Justin ODell does not work in anet anymore right?

i have not seen his postings for many, many months.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

you do realize that Justin ODell does not work in anet anymore right?

i have not seen his postings for many, many months.

That makes me sad. He was always one of my favorites, loved talking to players.

As for the original topic, though I added my 2 cents way back when, this is particularly why I’ll likely be splitting my time between GW2 and now, Blade and Soul. So glad someone finally took initiative to appease the 1v1 and small scale arena crowd.

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

It would be nice, but only without healers.
An arena should last 1/2 mins max.

And also a removed downed combat would be nice.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

It would be nice, but only without healers.
An arena should last 1/2 mins max.

And also a removed downed combat would be nice.

5 min is a good time imo, theres just a few real 1v1 fights (meaning the only objective is to win the 1v1, not to hold a node expecting for help or smth like this) that can end in just 1/2 min

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

No thanks on the 2v2 / 3v3 arenas.

IMO it will split up an already small player base, and not bring in a “massive influx” of new players. ANET, please continue making what you have better, TY.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

in PvP

Posted by: DZx.4927

DZx.4927

No thanks on the 2v2 / 3v3 arenas.

IMO it will split up an already small player base, and not bring in a “massive influx” of new players. ANET, please continue making what you have better, TY.

Have you ever considered the possibility that maybe the REASON why the pvp player base in this game is so kitten small is precisely because that no one likes the only format currently available – what is essentially a 40v40 WoW battleground converted to 5v5? The fact that the 2v2 elimination qualifiers get 10x more views than anything ever hosted in the regular format (top pvp players get at most 100 viewers if even that right now) should come as a clue…

The original Guild Wars, a game that finally was a real competition against WoW in its glory days did it ALL BECAUSE of its amazing pvp systems. The separation of solo ques into random arena and team queues were team arena made perfect sense. The main attraction with thousands of people watching were Guild vs guild battles (hence “Guild Wars”), and the ultimate 8v8v8 Hall of Heroes that had multiple rounds you had to fight through to filter out the weak teams. Trust me – with those pvp systems in place, there was not ever a lack of interest in pvp like it is in gw2 – oh and I don’t mean pvp as in joining “daily” servers and just jump off cliffs like you do in this game.

Only one thing is for certain, there is nothing to split when you got as small a interest as right now from the player base in the current pvp, maybe it’s a good time to bring some of the things that worked back.

in PvP

Posted by: Floplag.4032

Floplag.4032

i for one do not want 2s or 3s, though i do agree with getting some of the PvE element out of PvP.
I do not want this game turning into WoW.
You think the Meta is bad here… in a 2s/3s dominated environment its far worse… not to mention that selling of ratings and garbage that does on at these kinds of smaller form factor matches when one person can by and large carry if they are good enough. WoW chat is spammed with nothing but WTB/WTS for these kinds of matches… it degrades the value of them to virtual nothingness.
I would very much like to get the excessive NPCs and Trebs or Skyhammer nonsense out of my PvP… but not by going to a smaller form factor match level.

in PvP

Posted by: Crue.5342

Crue.5342

2v2 and 3v3 arenas or RIOT!

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

i for one do not want 2s or 3s, I do not want this game turning into WoW.

This game and WoW’s meta game are vastly different… it’s like night and day.
GW2 = You can build a counter to a person’s build or team comp
WoW = Standard dps+heal meta trio that is non-changing… unless a patch comes.
Uncomparable

You think the Meta is bad here… in a 2s/3s dominated environment its far worse… not to mention that selling of ratings and garbage that does on at these kinds of smaller form factor matches when one person can by and large carry if they are good enough. WoW chat is spammed with nothing but WTB/WTS for these kinds of matches… it degrades the value of them to virtual nothingness.

Again, that’s a different game that wont happen in GW2. Only thing that’ll happen is that the game mode becomes more conpetitive. More conpetitive means it’s a tad bit more salty; of which, every competitive game shares. If you don’t want to be a part of it then don’t be.

We need a 3v3 game mode appearing seasonal, at the very least

Maybe between leagues or something… either ways, we absolutely need it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: WuGzaGenius.5684

WuGzaGenius.5684

What the kitten?

who the kitten made up stronghold instead of this????

in PvP

Posted by: Floplag.4032

Floplag.4032

i for one do not want 2s or 3s, I do not want this game turning into WoW.

This game and WoW’s meta game are vastly different… it’s like night and day.
GW2 = You can build a counter to a person’s build or team comp
WoW = Standard dps+heal meta trio that is non-changing… unless a patch comes.
Uncomparable

Again, that’s a different game that wont happen in GW2. Only thing that’ll happen is that the game mode becomes more conpetitive. More conpetitive means it’s a tad bit more salty; of which, every competitive game shares. If you don’t want to be a part of it then don’t be.

We need a 3v3 game mode appearing seasonal, at the very least

Maybe between leagues or something… either ways, we absolutely need it.

You give the player base far too much credit… weve seen people exploit literally every possible way to gain in this game or any other
We already have true heals, and bunker specs are tanks so… great, druid, bunker mes, rev… anything else not welcome. ill pass

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

There’s strength in simplicity. Not everything you attempt to make has to be some hail mary play at some revolutionary new thing that nobody has made before. Let other games do the research for you, stop using your own game as a experimental prototype throwing out unfinished products “stronghold” at the expense of losing players. Go with what works.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Please no, I already had my last game’s pvp ruined by the addition of tdm arenas. They are cancer, they lead to stagnated metas and stratagies, and they suppress build diversity.

No.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Please no, I already had my last game’s pvp ruined by the addition of tdm arenas. They are cancer, they lead to stagnated metas and stratagies, and they suppress build diversity.

No.

Diversity. This same attitude can be seen by those who deny us dueling in segregated areas in open world, cuz apparently itll only hurt the playerbase. What are people so afraid of, conquest is stale and its nearly been 4 yrs, and we only have 1 new map in ranked with “retweaked” pvp systems all over as with the rest of the game?

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Salocin.2783

Salocin.2783

Let this thread die off. The title paired with a devs response is giving people false hope.

in PvP

Posted by: Placentlad.9742

Placentlad.9742

I have been a pvper and arena player in wow for many years, I would luv to c Gw2 have 2v2, 3v3 which i believe will attract many pvpers from other MMO’s such as WOW.

the lack of 2v2 and 3v3 has forced me and some of my friends to occasionaly go back to WOW in order to play these game modes of pvp which i thoroughly enjoy. EVENTHOUGH i like the gw2 combat system a lot more.

Im sure there are other pvpers who are in the same predicament.

I believe adding these game modes over the long term will only increase the PVP base overall

in PvP

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

The game already has 2v2, 3v3, arenas. Just create a custom arena Courtyard, and set it for 2v2, 3v3, or whatever you desire. Simple.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ