Where is the AAA esports?

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I’m kinda mad. Anet promised a AAA PvP esport title, and their GW1 Prophecies gameplay showed they might have what it took to deliver.

It’s pretty clear at this point they never intended to. Didn’t even try. I can’t even be mad at you for failing because progress has been so slow I’m very much under the impression there are about 4 guys working on this and they’re given side projects to boot.

I’m mad at whoever in marketing said we should advertise a blatant lie and then not fund it.

in PvP

Posted by: Sadistis.4257

Sadistis.4257

/end rant… /begin rationality.

The personal expectations you hold based upon the advertisement may never be achieved to your individual liking. Personally i think they did a wonderful job with the PvP system in general, they just need to find a way to promote everybody to get involved with it more (laurals for dailys perhaps?), the rewards and titles are solid, show rankings, and give nice skins based on ranks.

but it’s all subjective to your expectations.

[NMG] Noir Mercenary Guild
-Sorrow’s Furnace WvW/tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

The personal expectations you hold based upon the advertisement may never be achieved to your individual liking. Personally i think they did a wonderful job with the PvP system in general, they just need to find a way to promote everybody to get involved with it more (laurals for dailys perhaps?), the rewards and titles are solid, show rankings, and give nice skins based on ranks.

Do you even PvP? Have you PvP’d in any other game?
You can’t even compare PvP in this game to GW1……How do you make a second game with less features than the original?
GW2 should have had everything GW1 had at the start of development and then built on top of it.

Would you say “Racing Game 2” was “developed wonderfully” when it has less tracks and less cars than “Racing Game 1”?
…seriously?

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Had to log in to give my vote. While their intentions are good, they do not deliver. But then again, do I expect to much? I am worried becuase the promises so far for 2013 are rather vague.

This is PvP in GW2: You stand in the mist, unable to duel other players, either in front of the SPvP or tPvP vendor and queue up. You queue up for the same few maps with the exact same gametype. I am sick of this repetitiveness, this is GW2, they should do better. They could do better if they just implemented what they learned from GW1.

On top of this, the cloth item makers have done a sub par job in designing PvP gear, you need to get up in fairly high level to be ‘somebody’. This however is subjective.

But hey, at least we dont have monthly subs, so it doesnt hurt that much to wait another year.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Shanks R Us.2489

Shanks R Us.2489

You can’t even compare PvP in this game to GW1……How do you make a second game with less features than the original?
GW2 should have had everything GW1 had at the start of development and then built on top of it.

Would you say “Racing Game 2” was “developed wonderfully” when it has less tracks and less cars than “Racing Game 1”?
…seriously?

Did YOU ever play PvP in GW1? If you did, you’d know that the only thing GW2 has in common with GW1 is the music & the lore. They’re completely different games – don’t let the names fool you.

Zane The Clever – Asuran Engineer
Roaming Video 3Roaming Video 41v7 in WvW with engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

What are you even talking about?
Developer of Guild Wars 1 = ArenaNet
Developer of Guild Wars 2 = ArenaNet

Why does their second game have less features than their first?
I never said or implied they are the same game. I said Why does the second game ArenaNet developed have less features than the first?

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in PvP

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

I think it’s fair to say ArenaNet hyped sPvP to beyond extreme levels considering what they had in store for us for release (and to this point in time). It was a marketing tactic, no doubt, which I guess I can’t blame them for doing, but it’s very clear we’re not going to see Guild Wars 2 PvP take off until at least the first expansion. There is too much missing from PvP in it’s current state (alternate modes, monthly tournaments, dueling, streaming, achievements, ect.), as well as things that really need to be polished up (Hot Join UI and interaction, gear progression, UI customization, ect). We can only hope that ArenaNet puts more effort into developing PvP content and fulfill the expectations that this game had initially.

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

the day we may wield every single weapon on every class and be able to swap weapon skills and have unlocated traits is the day pvp will get close enough to gw1’s one. as of now its a casual joke.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Not only do they deliver sub-par pvp that has no MMR, ladder or solo queue, but they also have the nerve to charge people micro-transactions in order to play it.

I would love to see how many tournament tickets are being bought in the Gem shop.

I wonder if that dollar amount was worth misleading and stringing along the very pvp playerbase that put Anet in business and on the map in the first place with GW1.

They sold out pvpers and instead got into the gold selling business, it was doing pretty well in China.

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

I know you’re all frustrated, I was too for a while. But can we please stop with these posts every single day? Please quit being so negative, it gets us no where!

Tune into the ‘State of the Game’ that features a top EU player, a top NA player, and developers Jon Peters and Jonathan Sharp. I promise you that you will be happy you watched this!

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/995-guru-state-of-the-game-featuring-jon2/

Also, please realize that Anet took a lot of risks with this game that makes it different from other MMOs. Some of these worked out, but not all of them did. It takes time to make changes for things that didn’t really work out, and yes some of these things might have been in for too long, but please stay patient!

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

(edited by Follidus.8027)

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Anet is not some poor unfortunate victim. They brought this on themselves by misleading players. There are so many angry posts and people because these feelings of frustration are entirely legitimate.

Issues like charging time or money for new people to even queue up and play in a competitive mode has fewer features than what is offered for free in other games hurts the population more than the forums ever will.

They just made millions of dollars, they can handle a few critical forum posts.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I’ll tell you. You never have to wonder where these threads are.

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

This seems like an odd question right now.

Right now we have something that’s actually workable, playable, and fun.

Ask after this week is over… unless ANet does the unthinkable and just scraps p-torunies for the superior 1v1 set-up, deletes Capricorn, and puts the rest of the maps in 1v1 rotation. We can have tournies once a week or something.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: shadows wolf.6928

shadows wolf.6928

probably going to get suspended for this because the forum mods here are fan boys, and speaking the truth = suspension but…

it has been half a year since launch and Arena Net has failed to even attempt to fix PvP or even address all the broken classes. they just keep pumping out PvE content ignoring all the bugs that they already have. this is not the company from GW1 that cared about there product. this is just 1 more corporate game pumped out to make money fast fail whiten 2 years and move on to the next product.

in PvP

Posted by: Virgil Kemp.7056

Virgil Kemp.7056

sPvP isn’t anywhere near AAA. Don’t hold your breath.

Sadistis, a lie is a lie. Saying “this is our goal with this game,” then making absolutely no attempt to reach that goal is a lie. Lying about it doesn’t change anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

Or just forget what I said, idk why I keep trying to post here.

\ ( _ O ) / the game doesn’t have what I want right now, the world is ending!!! \ ( O _ ) /

You guys really need to relax and have fun playing.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

(edited by Follidus.8027)

in PvP

Virgil Kemp.7056

It’s so broken and neglected that the awesome core mechanics are going to waste and players are leaving. (those than haven’t already)

This effects us all.

in PvP

Virgil Kemp.7056

My team just got bugged out of a free tournament fighting for first place.

Frees are pretty relaxed. We were having fun. The world isn’t ending. But the game isn’t AAA. It’s been 5 months and it’s buggy all over, from the interface to queue up to bugging out of a match in round 3.

Speaking of bugs, I’m completing my February monthly in January. Doesn’t make any sense.

in PvP

Posted by: Drist.9807

Drist.9807

it wont be a AAA esport until they flush out the details a bit. I don’t mean just mechanics wise. How are you supposed to spectate matches? How many actual viable ways are there to build a character? Are classes really balanced to warrant fair gameplay? Are there dedicated teams for sPvP?

Further more there are no sponsors for GW2, no spectators who care to see it because of such. Nobody can actually win tangible cash from a tourney so Anet themselves are not trying to get the populace interested in it.

Its kitten at best. First comes balances to spvp (which can be isolated from wvw or pve changes btw). Then comes hosting tournaments with their own money or player pot percentages offered as rewards (50% total pot for 1st, 20% for second, cast back for 3rd). Entries would be maybe $10 or a few gems to buy in to start off. Players will then form dedicated parties. Then Anet can find sponsors who would like to get in on it. Congradulations you have yourself an esport. That is so long as a population can spectate and watch matches from a different computer like LoL spectating.

Master Serephix [PRO] – Lv. 80 Thief
Dragonbrand [Formerly Devona’s Rest]

in PvP

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

…seriously?

Did YOU ever play PvP in GW1? If you did, you’d know that the only thing GW2 has in common with GW1 is the music & the lore. They’re completely different games – don’t let the names fool you.

Then maybe they shouldn’t have named it Guild Wars 2 and gone with another title. You can’t expect people to take a sequel as a 100% different and new game.

in PvP

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hello everyone,

As this thread has derailed into a flamewar we are closing it. Please refrain from this behaviour.

Thanks for your understanding.