Which build takes skill?

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

What to play if im tired of playing super easy necro? Many have told me that necro class takes no skill whatsoever, dont know why this realization came so late. Only after dhuumfire, for first half year of game i was fine playing necro, now you cant go anywhere without flaming
So looking for some pvp alt with spec that takes skill and is top 250 viable.
From all “feedback” i get, seems that elementalist takes the most skill, but do they even have viable builds atm? I havent played ele since s/d valk was king.
So what im looking for:
top PVP viable
Not bunker
Isnt faceroll
Pref power build, heard that condi builds overall takes less skill to play.
Theres loads of people saying i suck for playing necro, must be at least some who can say what to play so i dont suck.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: risenlord.2035

risenlord.2035

Try playing and engineer or a elementalist. They have very high skill caps and endless skill combinations.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: TheUltimateBackStabber.4863

TheUltimateBackStabber.4863

Uhm, tried looking here?: http://forums.intothemists.com/index.php?/topic/46-top-gw2-tournament-builds/

Might be outdated tho.

Currently I also run a build that doesn’t require skill (S/S – Bow, warrior) only because I haven’t found a new build for my warrior/ d/d ele.

D/D is hard to play and requires a lot of thinking. (Glassy)

Because you need to think when you use condi cure. If you go into water attunement without having any condi’s on you or the enemy didn’t use his condi burst but only landed a few condi’s on you and your water attunement is on cd, you are dead if you get burst with a lot of conditions.
I’ve heard that D/D elementalists are bad in spvp, but they are really good in doing quick bursts on the point.
I’ve downed a whole team who fought on a point against 2 from my team, it’s amazing how quickly you turn things around.

S/F Fresh Air is for me a build that doesn’t require skill.
Mostly, because you can down someone instantly before they even got to you, or putted some pressure on you.
But thats just my opinion :P

Asuran race is the best… +
Fluttershy #1 :)

(edited by TheUltimateBackStabber.4863)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Leeto.1570

Hmm havent played engi since b4 HGH, when everyone played teldo build. Gonna try OE`s new build on him. Only other option i have really is ele? Rangers have non spirit builds that are good? Guardians still can only be bunkers?
What about thiefs? I still play s/d and imo nothing has changed, good and easy build. Any build that good but requires more effort?

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Try playing oldschool D/D glass cannon thief. It is still possible to play this build successfully, but you have to really put attention which target to pick. If you pick wrong- you are dead, correctly – instant kill.

You can also finish downed enemies with backstab+heartseeker combo, what is extremly valuable in tournaments, where normal stomping is hard.

Signed, level 1 alt

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

risenlord.2035

ranger sword+dagger and sb. either 10 30 30 or 0 30 30 10 is a fun non spirit build.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

It depends what “skill” means to u.

a) a lot of buttons to press = ele/engie . counterargument especialy for engie is spam without any punishment

b) a unforgiving build. as opposed to above, on a pure glassy u need to hit all your stuff, at the right time, the result of a single mistake is a trip to respawn. The counterargument here is that some bursts have no real counters + doing well means your team is actualy doing great on covering you

c) beat the pros at their own game. meta builds. theyre simply the best at their role against most other builds. a backstab thief can kill anyone , while s/p can kill a necro without casting a skill , it will die to say retal from guard.. Simply raise to the top and most will consider you a skilled player

d) Be something special. A role no1 will excpect on your class, but you have to do well with it. Example, I often have good results playing a necro bunker, simply because it throws poeple off guard. They waste 1min+ 1v1 or focus me in group, while they go down faster. Whats the downside? hard counters, shatter mesmer in my case

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: lollasaurus.1457

lollasaurus.1457

Try power necro, offensive meditation guard, a warrior thats not condi, Elementalist D/D, S/D, S/F, D/P thief, shatter mesmer, P/D condi thief, some engi builds – condition hybrids are pretty easy mode.

Pretty much anything besides what everyone else is running – Condi mesmers, condi warriors, condispam engis, condi necros, spirit rangers etc

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Check the necro section now for exactly the build you are looking for.

it’s great because it has nothing that people can use as an excuse to flame you.
It literally is a counter to conditions, it doesn’t use fear/terror/dhuumfire/conditions and is completely dependent on your opponents ability to read your skills.

It is kinda tanky however because you make use of your punching/pinball mechanics

have fun ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

risenlord.2035

condi condi condicondi aaaaaaaaaand 1 more for luck condi.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Leeto.1570

Ye tried out 2 kit condi engi, both with rabid and berserk. Kinda doesnt feel more complicated than necro.
Can some1 give link to that d/d ele spec you all talking about.

it’s great because it has nothing that people can use as an excuse to flame you.
It literally is a counter to conditions, it doesn’t use fear/terror/dhuumfire/conditions and is completely dependent on your opponents ability to read your skills.

It is kinda tanky however because you make use of your punching/pinball mechanics

have fun ^^

Haha man im looking for more “complicated” build, and you suggest 3x condi xfer necro with wells.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Well, there is alway good ole’ glass war.

You know, those guys everyone laughed about?

I can’t guarantee you’ll do well with them. But sure they are fun and you’ll learn a lot.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJARTjkOFvJPqQMxBEjijAIOPoCmoJUKsjNE-ToAg0CnI0RFkLIjOycs5MEZJC

HGH glass war

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Uzzwick.8457

Uzzwick.8457

play imba heal guard whatever and u say i go mid but no on goe mid no help gaurd no love
and all is vain

all is vain

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Ye tried out 2 kit condi engi, both with rabid and berserk. Kinda doesnt feel more complicated than necro.
Can some1 give link to that d/d ele spec you all talking about.

have fun ^^

Haha man im looking for more “complicated” build, and you suggest 3x condi xfer necro with wells.

o/ exactly it takes the opponent skill to beat you. ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

none. some classes have more complex mechanics (like mesmer and engineer) but once you get that down, the skills you need to succeed at this game are the same for every class. except for some of the current meta builds

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Vitalij.7193

Vitalij.7193

Try playing and engineer or a elementalist. They have very high skill caps and endless skill combinations.

endless?:) maybe endless if u will click random skills and total result will be bad,need use skills that connect to gether well,so actualy there not that many combos. ele not so difficul, peoples just learn few combo and using only them day by day. P.S sorry for my bad english

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

try d/d thief xD

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

What to play if im tired of playing super easy necro? Many have told me that necro class takes no skill whatsoever, dont know why this realization came so late. Only after dhuumfire, for first half year of game i was fine playing necro, now you cant go anywhere without flaming
So looking for some pvp alt with spec that takes skill and is top 250 viable.
From all “feedback” i get, seems that elementalist takes the most skill, but do they even have viable builds atm? I havent played ele since s/d valk was king.
So what im looking for:
top PVP viable
Not bunker
Isnt faceroll
Pref power build, heard that condi builds overall takes less skill to play.
Theres loads of people saying i suck for playing necro, must be at least some who can say what to play so i dont suck.

Yeah, try re-speccing to power Necro.. maybe try out a power/siphoning combo.

I realise that when people talk about Necro they imply Condi Spam Necros, but there are other builds available.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

For that matter, stick with a condi necro, but don’t use Dhuumfire (or any points in Spite). You will find things much more difficult because you actually have to work to maintain those stacks and you don’t have the burst ability that Dhuumfire gives.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

Shatter mesmer, DD burst thief, burst guardian, rifle engi, DD burst ele

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-NFcg;3Vz0z6JV-71;9;4JJ;0T06-39;517A5wl6;2KJG4KJG45Be
Mesmer Heal Signet Unselectable.

I’ve had limited success with this build.. Try it out.

Also Devs thanks for the new heal sig.. very balanced.. many plays. don’t nerf plz k thx.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Anyone saying D/D Thief or 2-kit Engi has not played Elementalist. Ele takes more skill than any other class in this game by a country mile, I’m not going to name any “builds” because ANY build is very challenging to pull off especially in a 1v1 against top-tier classes like Guardian, Warrior, Engineer, Ranger, etc.

As Ele you’re incredibly fragile, all your survivability revolves around perfectly timing dodges or blowing very long cooldowns (i.e. cantrips). You’re restricted to just a handful of viable builds, either a balanced build (arcana+water) or a glass build (fresh air) but if you go the glass route, there is a chance another zerker/glass build can literally 2-shot you instantly. Learning the class can involve spending a LOT of time in downed state.

You will need to mash keys like crazy and monitor 10+ cooldowns just to stand a remote chance at killing people while staying alive, and in return other classes/builds can usually just autoattack you to death. Mobility is also pathetic.

Good luck.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

4 signet thief!! no perma stealth or perma evade bs!

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

try d/d thief xD

there’s a difference in being hard to play because it takes skill and being hard to play because the weapons/build suck. Which is the case of theif d/d, it’s a bad weapon set that just sucks.

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

@ahuba
As a D/D thief you can deliver a huge burst out of nowhere. If there is another glass cannon on enemy team, and you know how to play, they are going to rage quit. All you need is patience and making good decisions when to jump in. But if your team sucks and don’t provide enough pressure on enemy, you can aswell afk at spawn. This is why this build is so frustrating to play in hot join – you can’t do anything alone, but are very useful to well-organized team.

Signed, level 1 alt

(edited by Dagins.5163)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Nade bomb kit engineer. Most of skills are almost impossible land if enemy have brains.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

I’ve played nearly every build of every class in spvp for the most part, i’ve bounced around the team ladders top 1000-300 since QP was around (although I never really took that stuff seriously; my involvement in the esports scene is not as a competitive player). I’d say the highest sill caps i’ve ran into are:

• 3 kit engi builds. It’s kinda like playing ele, but imagine some atunements are melee, some are ranged, and some are timed totems you drop on the ground. 3 kit engi feels a lot more… decision orientated? than ele. You really have to adapt to whats going on and there are loads of different rotations for every situation.
  • helseth’s gs/staff mesmer; maybe I’m just bad at this wep combo, I’m very used to having sword/focus in my mesmer rotations. But when you see what a skillcapped mesmer can do with this set, it’s pretty amazing.
  • d/d power necro (no longer viable post quickness nerf imo). The old khalifa build was a gloriously rewarding playstyle back when the build was in its prime. Very few teams ever ran it because it was such an unorthodox way of playing necro.
  • zerker staff ele: staff ele got a decent buff this patch, and there have been some people running dps staff in spvp pretty effectively (no troll). All of your meaningful spells are skillshots however, which makes it a pretty tough playstyle. -oh and you take frost bow and fiery gs elite for the op aoe dmg and ice stun (basically if you get a thief or ele into a frostbow deep, then drop 4 on top of them; they’re gonna die. Its awesome.), but taking 2 more wep sets gives the class a total of 33 skills including heal -good luck remembering whats on cooldown!

I think a lot of people will argue that d/d ele or s/d ele require tons of skill, but they really don’t imo. You have 2 basic rotations with both those sets and the bulk of your play revolves around getting those rotations off then just spamming you eath/water skills in between (depending on what your hp bar looks like). Ele is having a hard time as a class right now, they’ve been nerfed hard since their triple cantrip glory days, and you’re probably going to die a lot if you try picking one up, but that doesn’t change the general skill level required to play the class correctly; it just makes the result less effective across the board.

Neglekt

(edited by Zodian.6597)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

Try this build for the Elementalist. It has an extremely high skill cap.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJArYnEEFZYlBaGwjYAZUoDEPsAHgDLPiBeoGA-ToAA1CnIqRVjrGTNyas1MKYKC

The difficulty of using it comes with your judgement of when to use your arcane skills. It requires a lot of mental work and experience before you’ll realise how valuable that arcane grandmaster trait is if used to its full potential.

I find that minion necros, spirit rangers and dps guardians are the most difficult to beat when fighting inside the cap point but I usually come out on top now I know how to take advantage of the traits… though dps guardians do seem to be hellish for trying to blind.

(edited by Zuik.7158)

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

While it’s probably not a very good build overall due to the current state of the elementalist, I’ve found that area denial elementalists are tons of fun to play, and have a very high skill cap. While it may look initially like a zerker staff build (what with Zerker amulet and all), it certainly doesn’t feel like one, nor should it be played like one. Instead, you want to use AoE skills and CC skills to block off areas and to hold points.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

If you can play a Power Ranger you can play everything..

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

This. ^

One of the hardest builds in the game, imo.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

This. ^

What is hard? Take short bow, jump backward whole time and dodge around and you can’t die.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Which build takes skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

This. ^

What is hard? Take short bow, jump backward whole time and dodge around and you can’t die.

Because there’s nothing like hitting as though you were throwing pebbles at the enemy (it does less damage than the auto attack does, and the auto attack is already pretty weak) while having a relatively short evade time for a relatively long cast (far more than .25 seconds- more like upwards of 1 to 1.5 seconds), and being able to dodge very little while doing absolutely no damage and being vulnerable at the end of every dodge cast.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter