Which professions should I play in season 5?

in PvP

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I have primarily used Revenant since HoT but am concerned about build variety. Everyone is expecting power Shiro / Glint, and it has a some severe vulnerabilities for counterplay. I played Engi almost exclusively until HoT so should be able to get back into it quickly. I’ve also played Thief a in previous seasons and am reasonably experienced with Warrior. I would probably not play Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, or Necro, as I haven’t played them enough to be competitive by the start of season 5.

Feel free to chime in on how you think any profession or build will perform this season.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

anything but warrior will work. otherwise play your best class, revenant definitely carries hard in soloq, just burst their worst player in a teamfight and you instawin the game.

Darek.1836

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Ele/scrapper are the best but will be in every match so you can’t really carry playing them.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Not ele, not necro – these classes needs premade to be 100% effective against good players using meta builds..

You should stick to rev – it’s top class right now

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

There might be balance changes, so wait what the new season brings. Tho currently ele and necro are pretty bad if you want to solo carry, as necro needs heals and peels, while ele needs someone to get their enemies HP below 0, as he can’t do it himself.
If you wanna solo carry, I’d stick to 1 profession that has good damage and more than 0 mobility, as from my own experience, killing someone in the enemy team (or at least downing them) will benefit your team much more as in an organized team (where ppl know to rezz even before someone actually goes down as they can call it through their headphones).
If you wanna duo, pick tempest + dps build. Tempest makes everyone so tanky, it’s just that it is very weak when under cc pressure, but remember if he can heal a rev for example, rev will pretty much end up downing 1-2 ppl before ele goes down.

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

I will keep playing my necro as i never grouped up for ranked as necro player so nothing news for me having to play necro on my own without any support from randoms.

I like to play whats hard so its really up to you: if you dont like having hard times and solve hard situations using your brain all the time to compensate for the weakness of the class then i don’t recommend it.

Almost all other classes like mesmer reve gua etc. feels like they carry me a lot in survivability after playing a necro. while having burst too auto attack also hits crazy 2k bow autos and 3k hammer etc if i remember correct after condi necro. So i like to call them the easy mode classes for solo q.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

If you did want to try it, Mesmer is great once you put yourself into it. But if that’s your best class, definitely stick to Rev. Don’t try Ele and beware that Engi is harder to play against more experienced players, that are patient enough to wait out your invulnerabilities before burst.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I would say stick to revs for the most part. It is still the best offensive carry in the game if you play well. It has two 1v1 weaknesses, vs mesmer and vs thief. But that shouldn’t be the excuse. Every profession has some bad matchups anyway.

If you have time, you can certainly practice another class in those rare cases where your team composition just can’t compete with you playing revenant.

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

To the Rev will carry, Necro will be a liability argument:

I played Rev and Necro in previous seasons where I 100% solo Q’d and Necro performed a lot better. Its mobilty weakness is easy to compensate in Solo Q just by knowing the jumping puzzles in the maps. Your chill an cripple spam will make it hard if not impossible to follow you.

Rev might shine when facing a power based team or when having an Ele babysitting 24/7. When I played Rev I was too often condi focused while not having someone to support me and died as fast as a Necro would do when standing still on midpoint. So no way, that I generally recommend the class for Solo Q.

Rev+Ele Duo Q is great and can carry the rest of the team.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

in PvP

Posted by: triggerhappy.3871

triggerhappy.3871

Do many people think Revs are OK now?

Eles and Revs are two least seen professions recently.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

play druid. Major carry potential in celestial form. does actually decent damage aside from tempest who can only deal noticable dps with overload air and fire.

in PvP

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

Meta DH, Meta Druid, Scrapper, Daredevil, Chrono and Berserker are all great choices with DH on top.

Ele, Necro and Rev’s suck since Ele is mostly support and cant hold a node on its own, Necro’s always get targeted first, and Rev’s is overly nerfed to the point it’s prob the least suggestable class to bring to a pvp match.

These ppl thinking Ele’s and Rev are great obviously never solo queud.

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

You can always carry with thief if you can rotate well and have at least a couple decent team mates that will support other points instead of feeding kills. No matter what nerf thief gets they will always be #1 rotater.

My alt pvp class is scrapper when thief is stacked because I never learned how to play other classes only counter and scrap is ez as pie to play well. You’ve played engi before I would recommend this other than rev.

Before scrapper my class stack-alt class was ranger they are also easy to play well but are weak against reflects unless you are using staff which is boring to me but effective.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

According to all the QQ posts you just need to play DH. Lay traps and instawin.

SarcasmOff/

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

The two classes targeted the most are Necro first then Rev. So unless you have someone babysitting you or you are really really good I don’t recommend Necro/Rev for solo q.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

don’t play DH. Support classes can carry way better then a kittening kittenty Dragonhunter don’t kittening listen to them OP.lmao. Dragonhunters for the most of it are either kitten or mediocore. U need a class capable of dealing moderate susained damage with a reliable burst every 20 seconds+ aoe heals and a bit of support through boons. Druid. Or u go tempest and if u get decent u can still hold a point againt 2 players easily.

Not sure why anybody would suggest dragonhunter for carrying, espically trapper dragonhunter when u have a kittening class with the ability to actually ress players through cleave. SMH.

in PvP

Hirasaki.6208

DH as a class by itself gives you the biggest advantage to win, you just need to know how to play Meta DH. Even a 5 Trap zerker DH has a better chance of winning against any class “On Comparable Skill”.

Compare this to lets say Power Rev, it’s easily countered by Condi’s, Thieves, other Rev’s, DH, Chrono’s etc.

or Auramancer Ele, which literally is a walking free kill. You just autoattack it to death.

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Condi Chrono.
Power Herald.
Menders Druid.

in PvP

DH as a class by itself gives you the biggest advantage to win, you just need to know how to play Meta DH. Even a 5 Trap zerker DH has a better chance of winning against any class “On Comparable Skill”.

Compare this to lets say Power Rev, it’s easily countered by Condi’s, Thieves, other Rev’s, DH, Chrono’s etc.

or Auramancer Ele, which literally is a walking free kill. You just autoattack it to death.

This is just a load of nonsense. DH’s are countered by tempest. Why in the world would u outright lie to the OP? Medi trappers have kittenty mobility, they offer no group support other then the few boons they dish out. thier dps is mostly shared between longbow and trap. longbows which can be hardcounterd by area denial and anybody who knows how to dodge, use stability, invulnerability, teleport, evade etc.

U are litterally telling me that auramancer elementalsit is a free kill? U are telling me that auramancer with 40 percent damage reduction through protection and heals+regens on auras is a free kill on auto attack? u think pro teams would use a class that can litterally die to an auto attack?

U are telling me that a slow class with almost no group support. with abilities that can be negated to projectile denial. Is better then a class with mobility? offers support through regen, swiftness and aoe healing? can actually ress allies, has moderate dps and a reliable burst on bristeback every 20 seconds? U are telling me that a dragonhunter somehow is better carrier then a class that is so versartile? U are telling me that the OP will be able to somehow have the answers to downed allies, allies low on health, will be able cleanse conditions, has the mobility to disenage. Yet somehow medi trapper is better class to carry?

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

both eles and revs are rly strong

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

If you’re going to duo q going auramancer ele and either power rev or condi necro might be a good idea. If you are playing solo, try scrapper, druid, dh or condi chrono. Don’t pic thf unless you are good at rotating and switching to a condi warrior might be a good idea if you want to counter pic an enemy rev or condi chrono. Additionally condi warriors are very good at harassing eles and practically immune to condi necros.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

This is just a load of nonsense. DH’s are countered by tempest. Why in the world would u outright lie to the OP? Medi trappers have kittenty mobility, they offer no group support other then the few boons they dish out. thier dps is mostly shared between longbow and trap. longbows which can be hardcounterd by area denial and anybody who knows how to dodge, use stability, invulnerability, teleport, evade etc.

U are litterally telling me that auramancer elementalsit is a free kill? U are telling me that auramancer with 40 percent damage reduction through protection and heals+regens on auras is a free kill on auto attack? u think pro teams would use a class that can litterally die to an auto attack?

U are telling me that a slow class with almost no group support. with abilities that can be negated to projectile denial. Is better then a class with mobility? offers support through regen, swiftness and aoe healing? can actually ress allies, has moderate dps and a reliable burst on bristeback every 20 seconds? U are telling me that a dragonhunter somehow is better carrier then a class that is so versartile? U are telling me that the OP will be able to somehow have the answers to downed allies, allies low on health, will be able cleanse conditions, has the mobility to disenage. Yet somehow medi trapper is better class to carry?

If your team is bad..you have no hopes on ele, it’s not a class you can carry with; you can heal people as much as you want..if they can’t dodge, kite ect ect..you’ll die very easily on ele. With the current matchmaking system having teammates that can’t use skills accordingly …it’s common.

Ele is used at ESL level because there…you have a kittening team with bloody good players that don’t help from above to stay alive more than 5s

in PvP

If your team is bad..you have no hopes on ele, it’s not a class you can carry with; you can heal people as much as you want..if they can’t dodge, kite ect ect..you’ll die very easily on ele. With the current matchmaking system having teammates that can’t use skills accordingly …it’s common.

Ele is used at ESL level because there…you have a kittening team with bloody good players that don’t help from above to stay alive more than 5s

Ofcourse u can carry with ele. What is this? tons of projetile denial, protection with increased effectinvess, healing on auras condi cleanse.. U can ress with obsedian flesh if u want to. Ele is good at both esl level and solo que. this ele is not good bandwagon is getting old. How can u not carry with an class that offers the group solid passive sustain? cleanses conditions on allies consistently, offers regenration and protection, offers auras with varrying effects such as projectile destruction reflect etc.

eles are still good. eles bieng used at the esl level means it’s used at the highest level possible. it needs to be viable before it’s even brought there.

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Try this build.

Dagger/Warhorn auramancer for PvP
Traits: water 1/3/1, earth 3/3/3 (or Diamond Skin if there are a lot of condition casters on their team such as Necro or mesmer), tempest 3/2/3.
Sigils: Sigil of renewal on dagger, sigil of transference on warhorn
Rune: Rune of Soldier
Amulet: Magi
Heal: Wash the Pain Away
Utilities (from left to right): Feel the Burn, Flash-Freeze, Lightning Flash (or Aftershock if they have a lot of projectile classes such as Ranger or Guardian).
Elite: Rebound!
Warhorn is a lot more bunkery and tough than Focus. The heals in water can grant a total heal of a little over 10000 HP, whie in Focus that aspect is nonexistent. Because aquamancer’s training is in effect, these skills can be recharged much faster (but don’t stay in water).
Also, Earth 4 grants 6 seconds of the almighty protrction boon.
Tips for surviving.
- Each aura heals ~ 1.5k HP so use often, and cleans one condi too
- Use water 3 in water 5 to get free 3000 HP. Best way to do this is to use Water 4 >> Water 5 >> Water 3..Always be mobile or you die (even though sustain is insanely high).
- Use earth 4 every single time you’re in Earth attunement. Not only do you receive 6 sec of protection but allies around you receive 3 sec of protection.
- Dodge a lot. Trust me. Try dodging while in water 5 to get its full healing benefits.
- Save fire shout for condi cleanse. Fortunately it only has a 25 sec CD.
- Flash-Freeze cleans off two condis as well.
- Rebound cleans one condi, and then the following aura cleans another.
- Use air overload for damage, fire overload for might stack, water overload for group healing, earth overload for point protection or enemy immobilize at burst
- Save lightning flash for very tough spots and tense pressure and to move around
- Wash the pain away also cleans off a condi.
I have sustained against 5 players occasionally. This build can resist any build 1v1 (maybe except for extreme condi bombs)

in PvP

Posted by: Topher.5631

Topher.5631

I was excited it might be the next profession until I saw the april fool’s joke. Thanks >8[

If you can’t beat it, it is, needless to say, OP
Looking for a team? Start here! https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Kuya.6495

Warhorn more bunkery than focus on ele?

I think i’m gonna go to sleep now.

in PvP

Abelisk.4527

You use up Obsidian Flesh. Then what?

in PvP

Kuya.6495

You use up Obsidian Flesh. Then what?

You use air 5 and water 5. Which is more defensive utility then you will get out of warhorn. Not only that, OF actually lets you res during a cleave or get a safe stomp, which is much more important than that horrible water field. Focus algo gives you an area wide projectile area denial that is far more reliable than a magnetic aura.

Oh, did i mention OF has no cast time and can be used even if you’re stunlocked?

I just don’t see how anyone would suggest warhorn over focus for defensive utility.

I wish my guardian had an invul that lets me use skills during its duration.

(edited by Kuya.6495)

in PvP

Abelisk.4527

It makes me giggle when people who run D/F focus hate how ‘weak’ auramancer is.

I don’t get why you think magnetic aura is bad. It reflects projectiles. It destroys enemies.

Sand squall coupled with warhorn water 5 cleans 2 condis, and heals a lot of health. It gives you 6 seconds of protection and 3 seconds to all alies around you.

Projectile denial is good, but protection boon is subjectively better. My warhorn has saved my allies butts so many times you don’t even know.

Water heals immensely. With Magi, oh boy…. As long as allies stick to you and heal themselves, they won’t die.

Warhorn air 4 is a CC. Warhorn air 5 is a passive vuln spammer.

I have never died in a 1v1 with Magi D/W, and never will. Warriors are utterly weak against me.

Only a pro shatter GS mesmer was able to make a dent in my build.

If you don’t need to worry about conditions because the opposing team doesn’t have any big condi classes, you can run Powerful Aura. Sand Squall will gives Magnetic Aura to everyone around you – that’s insane.

Earth 5 blinds at an annoying rate too. Slap it over a node and the opposing team will suffer.

I’ve played with both D/F and D/W. My preference is over the latter. My opinion.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

I’m a noob at Ele, but I’ve used warhorn before successfully in node fights. You have a hard CC on water (weird) and on air, and a soft CC on Earth (melee-range blinds). And of course the on-demand magnetic aura is good, and coupled with the boon extension is amazing. The boon spam is real. And ofc you can blast water 5 with dagger water 3 for some extra area healing, never say no to a water field.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Ofcourse u can carry with ele. What is this? tons of projetile denial, protection with increased effectinvess, healing on auras condi cleanse.. U can ress with obsedian flesh if u want to. Ele is good at both esl level and solo que. this ele is not good bandwagon is getting old. How can u not carry with an class that offers the group solid passive sustain? cleanses conditions on allies consistently, offers regenration and protection, offers auras with varrying effects such as projectile destruction reflect etc.

eles are still good. eles bieng used at the esl level means it’s used at the highest level possible. it needs to be viable before it’s even brought there.

Ok..you play ele..I stick with others, hope to meet you so that i can see you carrying your team

in PvP

Ok..you play ele..I stick with others, hope to meet you so that i can see you carrying your team

fair enough i guess.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Dual sword Druid! I’m telling ya, it’s a thing.

There will be bodies everywhere, left in your path of destruction.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Hirasaki.6208

You obviously have never fought a Meta DH that can literally solo 3 ppl in Legend Div or even attempted to use a meta DH build and play around it to see how powerful it is. DH mains will never tell you that, because they don’t want the nerf.

in PvP

Posted by: garland.5193

garland.5193

I can’t help but feel the ban on full pre made groups is going to change the profession dynamic.

Anecdotally, I’ve probably seen more DH’s and Druids lately than anything else.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I can’t help but feel the ban on full pre made groups is going to change the profession dynamic.

Anecdotally, I’ve probably seen more DH’s and Druids lately than anything else.

Yeap, although it will depend on skill level.

At lower and medium MMRs, DH, especially when stacked, just wreck everyone. People will suicide onto a triple-trapped point and blow themselves up.

At high MMR’s, eles will do very well, as support is exponentially better when added onto a team that already knows how to actively mitigate damage on their own and play defensively.

Druids will do well at all levels, as they are pretty brainless to just heal and let pet 1v1.

Necros will struggle unless you are in a tier where someone will bring an ele 100% of the time.

Scrappers will do well at medium and low tiers where they can just endlessly push far and stall out a point forever.

Mesmers and Thieves will do well if played well.

Revenant, played well, will be amazing at every level, and continues to be probably the strongest spec (no doubt pro teams would still stack revs if they could).

Berserkers will do fine at low levels (they have plenty of passives to carry them mindlessly), and can be used in high level if the player is smart about opponent team comp.

You best bet to carry across the board is revenant. Ele can do great if you are a tier where your team-mates are competent, but is exceptionally useless if your team is really bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

I played Rev and Necro in previous seasons where I 100% solo Q’d and Necro performed a lot better. Its mobilty weakness is easy to compensate in Solo Q just by knowing the jumping puzzles in the maps. Your chill an cripple spam will make it hard if not impossible to follow you.

Rev might shine when facing a power based team or when having an Ele babysitting 24/7. When I played Rev I was too often condi focused while not having someone to support me and died as fast as a Necro would do when standing still on midpoint. So no way, that I generally recommend the class for Solo Q.

Only person here that has any idea

in PvP

You obviously have never fought a Meta DH that can literally solo 3 ppl in Legend Div or even attempted to use a meta DH build and play around it to see how powerful it is. DH mains will never tell you that, because they don’t want the nerf.

this is such an exagaration, such an unlikely scenario. that bringing it up almost constitutes as a lie. Yes u have people like kitten that can do these amazing 1 v X feats on their meditrapper. But same can be said for any insert……….(top tier level and or ESL level player on a meta/great build that is not outright support) Heck tarcis on his warrior 1 v 2’ed and got a kill on olrun at pro league level.

medi trapper does not compare as a carry class .it’s not even just about how strong it is. U do not carry people solely with dps or aoe dps. Having a more balanced versartile class that heals+supports+moderate damage and mobility to actually quickly cap or contest points is better then a class that does big boom.

The goal with carrying is to actually play the game to such a level that u with your efforts can allow lesser skilled players to ride on your back.

in PvP

Posted by: SuB.6845

SuB.6845

As far as I see, all professions are playable and will be playable in the next season, if there won’t be a killer-patch. I dont feel like the teamsize changes much. When your team doesnt do much dps, switch tactics.

in PvP

Posted by: Dragonfeu.4356

Dragonfeu.4356

I have primarily used Revenant since HoT but am concerned about build variety. Everyone is expecting power Shiro / Glint, and it has a some severe vulnerabilities for counterplay. I played Engi almost exclusively until HoT so should be able to get back into it quickly. I’ve also played Thief a in previous seasons and am reasonably experienced with Warrior. I would probably not play Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, or Necro, as I haven’t played them enough to be competitive by the start of season 5.

Feel free to chime in on how you think any profession or build will perform this season.

Hey, i’m in the same boat as you, I mained revenant last season, but only played it in unranked because I got destroyed by condis. I swapped to mesmer/engi/ele and got to diamond.

warrior should be in a good spot for season 5.

in PvP

Posted by: Excelvior.8520

Excelvior.8520

How can you even consider warhorn for bunker ele? Every freaking skill has 0.5+ sec casting time, I am sick and tired getting constantly interrupted! I really can’t imagine playing without Obsidian Flesh, the opponents are always focus me (if we don’t have a necro in the team) and I get more CC that I can handle, OF is a life savior.
But maybe it’s a l2p issue, I ll give it one more shot in the future

in PvP

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Every freaking skill has 0.5+ sec casting time, I am sick and tired getting constantly interrupted!

Well necros have been running around with 1sec+ casts since the dawn of the game. Long casts are totally manageable. (unless you’re fighting a PI thief.)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

ZOMG is Commando coming in next expac I just deleted all my chars to make room for 14 Commandos.

As to OP’s question, I like staff/greatsword druid. You just pew pew from the sidelines, use the smokescale to mess people up, and run away with greatsword 3 and staff 3. Best used with beer.

in PvP

duster.7013

If the enemy doesn’t focus you down with condi eles are god tier OP due to being a toughness spamming bot. They just can’t burst much themselves. Eles can bunker DH but they have to work a little to do it, dh power is way harder to evade than power war which you can nearly afk bunker.

If enemy has necro/condi mes and your team has no healer consider hopping off to meta dh or scrapper.

(edited by duster.7013)

in PvP

duster.7013

Only person here that has any idea

Ele is not the best condi tanker. They have to lose a lot of dps/mitigation to sustain condi cleanse. They just better overall healers and remove all power dmg.

If condis are your only concern just pair with a scrapper.

in PvP

Hirasaki.6208

this is such an exagaration, such an unlikely scenario. that bringing it up almost constitutes as a lie. Yes u have people like kitten that can do these amazing 1 v X feats on their meditrapper. But same can be said for any insert……….(top tier level and or ESL level player on a meta/great build that is not outright support) Heck tarcis on his warrior 1 v 2’ed and got a kill on olrun at pro league level.

medi trapper does not compare as a carry class .it’s not even just about how strong it is. U do not carry people solely with dps or aoe dps. Having a more balanced versartile class that heals+supports+moderate damage and mobility to actually quickly cap or contest points is better then a class that does big boom.

The goal with carrying is to actually play the game to such a level that u with your efforts can allow lesser skilled players to ride on your back.

Your going to base your assumptions on a video about 2 randoms? The OP is asking which profession he should play in PVP. I’m assuming he wants to win, and I’m giving him the best answer. Meta DH gives you the best chances of winning on a soloQ with a “bunch of Randoms” “IF you know how to play Meta DH”. If your just gonna spam traps, hoping Dragon Maw can get you 10 points, as you fire your bow then your better of playing other jobs. Ppl are gonna be circling around you and farming you.

Meta DH’s aren’t going to post PVP pwnage vids on youtube. Why? because they don’t want the nerf. That’s why they keep saying its “balanced” so they can get a free pass for another season.

in PvP

Kuya.6495

keeps saying meta DH

mentions dragon’s maw

lol