Why 1v1 and 2v2 deathmatch is bad

in PvP

Posted by: Poelala.2830

Poelala.2830

Instead of balancing for a 5v5 gamemode, they’d also have to balance for a 1v1 gamemode and a 2v2 gamemode (the 2v2 part is literally impossible). If you don’t want to complain about the balance more than you already might, don’t ask for this.

in PvP

Posted by: AngryBear.8741

AngryBear.8741

Actually, the part where you are right is also the part where you are wrong (confusing, right?).

If they do balance properly, the way PvP game (mode) should actually be like, then they don’t have to balance for different modes. Like many people in many threads have said, PvP must be about trade-offs. You want to be good at something, ok, but then you must give up on being good at something else.

We already have build system that is so complex that I find it hard to believe that in such system you can’t make possibilities to make single class good at almost anything (which was game’s goal in the first place), but at the cost of something else (which is the part they missed). For example, if you play ele and you take traits A,B and C, you will be more single target damage oriented, but if you take traits D, E and F, you will be more support etc.

I think this is much easier to balance in 1v1 and 2v2 than in 5v5 where system has no clue whatsoever who is playing what. Assumption here is that for 2v2 you will hardly go in a solo queue (the point is to already have a partner for this), so system does not have to take this into consideration because the 2 of you will be as successful as how well your synergy is made. On the other hand for 5v5 many people don’t have pre-made teams so they go as solo or duo and then matchmaking is unbalanced exactly because system cannot take into account so many variables and create balanced comp.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Can you imagine the match manipulation that could go on in this mode?

in PvP

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

they could do it for fun and some rewards
game could focus on one vs one the aoe damage is insane in this game
and 5v5 balance wasnt successful either

action combat made mmos better lol

(edited by jihm.2315)

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

balancing 1 class v another or 2v2 does 1 thing, it stunts choice as you have to simplify the skill options to a number that allows this balancing/quantification – see wow for where that goes. On the other hand there is the paper-stone-scissor approach where you dont balance but you offer counter balance. See Eve for how this model works (massive choice and diverse gameplay)

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in PvP

jihm.2315

balancing 1 class v another or 2v2 does 1 thing, it stunts choice as you have to simplify the skill options to a number that allows this balancing/quantification – see wow for where that goes. On the other hand there is the paper-stone-scissor approach where you dont balance but you offer counter balance. See Eve for how this model works (massive choice and diverse gameplay)

rock paper scissors is actually a good idea
everyone feels rewarded for playing something
and classes/specializations dont end up playing in a similar way

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

The only way to make 1v1 work is to ban thieves or at least limit their trait and weapon choices. Otherwise a thief could infinitely drag out (and invariably win) any match not against other thieves.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

They could do it for fun, but people would still complain.

in PvP

jihm.2315

They could do it for fun, but people would still complain.

let them complain lol we already all complained about something in this game anyway

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The only way to make 1v1 work is to ban thieves or at least limit their trait and weapon choices. Otherwise a thief could infinitely drag out (and invariably win) any match not against other thieves.

Or you could…. I don’t know, use your brain and design it with stealth in mind, and not around it.

in PvP

jihm.2315

breaking the balance is welcomed from me as long as they increase the combat uptime and give more options to tankier and support builds at the time 90% of the good players run glassy builds because defense is not really that important in this game

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

You shouldn’t be automatically losing to thieves 1v1 playing 6/8 of the other professions in this game.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

If they did it, the arena would have to be small enough that a character couldn’t fully disengage. otherwise any class with good mobility would be awful to fight.

in PvP

jihm.2315

If they did it, the arena would have to be small enough that a character couldn’t fully disengage. otherwise any class with good mobility would be awful to fight.

they can put 3-4 types

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Or you could…. I don’t know, use your brain and design it with stealth in mind, and not around it.

^ SOOOOOOOO much this. People forget to adapt to things and dont want to change, thus having them complain just like this. People really should learn to change/adapt their builds based on what they are up against or what they may be up against. Thats how to spot the difference between a player and a good player.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

You shouldn’t be automatically losing to thieves 1v1 playing 6/8 of the other professions in this game.

And so it begins. This is why we can’t have 1v1 arenas.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

^ SOOOOOOOO much this. People forget to adapt to things and dont want to change, thus having them complain just like this. People really should learn to change/adapt their builds based on what they are up against or what they may be up against. Thats how to spot the difference between a player and a good player.

It isn’t really stealth. It is more that someone could put together a build that could kite the whole match.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Only because in conquest thieves have to take risks because they need to get that decap and do so quickly.

In a 1v1 deathmatch the thief doesn’t need to take any risks, he can just disengage and kite as much as he wants.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

What a lame excuse for not giving us fun gamemodes. Just like any other game out there all anet has to do is balance for conquest(the “main” gamemode), and the other game modes are just their so people can actually have fun in pvp rather than play the same thing they have been for 5 years.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

We have 1v1 and 2v2 matches now or has someone just created a pointless thread?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

^ OP is just being over dramatic and is afraid just to be afraid.

Remember when people wanted ESL to go away just so,
“The Devs can now concentrate around the baddies and balance around them”[paraphrasing]
Yea.. right… makes perfect sense.

If 2v2/3v3 was done right as a “mini” conquest or Deathmatch with rounds implemented, it should be fine. Devs needs to add strategic element like how Conquest is.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

It isn’t really stealth. It is more that someone could put together a build that could kite the whole match.

If it’s designed correctly, the map would be small and designed in such a way that kiting would be difficult, use your imagination. It’s hard, I know.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I think we could use cleaned up courtyard 3v3 deathmatch.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Nickzor.2453

Nickzor.2453

If it’s designed correctly, the map would be small and designed in such a way that kiting would be difficult, use your imagination. It’s hard, I know.

Yes… that makes perfect sense…. Because making kiting one of the key tactics of high level play and the only defense for and against certain classes more difficult then it already is will make for amazing dueling…..

Can anyone say WARRIOR MASTER RACE? I know I sure as heck can! Because nothing says OP like a 11k arc divider to the face and no where to kite away from it. Oh wait…. I know lets have 3v3s with no where for necros to escape too….

I do agree that 2v2 and 3v3 is a good idea, one that will breathe some new life back in to the game even. I don’t think 1v1s will ever be a good idea how ever. Not even just for stealth reasons. There is too many classes that are just too powerful in 1v1s and too many that are simply at a disadvantage.

2v2s and 3v3s with no class stacking can be balanced with little change. It will require a map or 2 that have multiple levels but dont give too much of a preference to shadow step classes…… colosseum anyone…? But if you focus on hindering kiting, stealth or anything the game is already using it will only create more issues. Not less.

in PvP

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

They could just take the mid node of foefire, that’s perfectly suitable. Maybe even make it conquest-esque where it’s an actual capture node and once it gets capped, or opponent dies, game ends.