Why AP for the top 250 titles is not cool

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

After seeing how these MMR calculations work I have a 4th reason to dislike this. It seems you can have a tripple digit lower MMR although your winrate is 10%+ higher than someone else.
Luck seems to have a great influence on the MMR rating since you have no way to select average MMR of your team and opponent team. People who had bad luck in their 10 placement matches are already 20 wins in a row behind people who got lucky.
The way this whole ladder is set up it is unlikely that the best 10 players will end up in the top 10, let alone the best one on rank 1.
The only way to reduce the impact of luck would be to require 300 or better 500 matches before you get listed in top 250.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

The way this whole ladder is set up it is unlikely that the best 10 players will end up in the top 10, let alone the best one on rank 1.

We already knew a lot of the names of the best players beforehand, it’s not hard to figure that one out.

When the season started, lo! and behold, here they were in the top 10.

You’d think after thousands of matches in pvp you’d know a thing or two about the community.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

First off: I am not expecting much sympathy for this issue, but I will voice my opinion anyway.

So this patch introduced exclusive titles for the top 250 pvp players of the season. Normally this would be fine, but they also give 6 AP each. I would propose removing the AP from these titles.

Rank 1: God of PvP.
Rank 2: Legendary Demigod.
Rank 3: Immortal Legend.
Rank 4 – 10: Unyielding Legend.
Rank 11 – 25: Relentless Legend.
Rank 26 – 100: Ruthless Legend.
Rank 101 – 250: Merciless Legend.

total: 42 AP

Reasons:
1) Only a limited amount of players can get them, most of them will go to people who do not even care about the AP part.
2) Even if someone tries hard the whole season, they are excluded from any titles because of the harsh MMR decay of 100 per day. If you for some reason cannot play in the last week of the season all your efforts are for nothing.
3) EU will have a harder time to earn these since NA has a lower playerbase and lower skilled players compared to EU.

Im with you,

Most of these people dont understand that the AP is also a competition among those in that area.

For instance i know people in the top 500 NA and do not want to fall below that and they know the people trying to pass them. I currently have a guild mate only 200 AP behind me and he is always making comments about how hes gonna catch me.

PvP like WvW and the AP points, there is a competition for a few people in those fields. People who dont get it, i dont understand why you would judge the OP when he/she has clearly invested more time into the game then you have.

Its almost like being back in H.S where all the dumb kids are making fun of the smart kid for getting good grades in this thread.

Can you explain how this mere 6AP is a problem for your competition?

If some one who has the same amount of AP as you and he somehow managed to get this 6AP, he deserves to be in front of you.

i can agree with this,

For some people the AP thing is very important. So making valid points from both sides should be looked at.

Im simply a person who has been playing for a long time, the AP mean nothing to me other then skins but i know alot of people who look at as the challenge of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

It doesn’t matter if you have a higher win rate. If you are winning against easier opponents, your win rate may be higher but that doesn’t mean you are on the same skill level of someone fighting much more difficult opponents with a lower win rate.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

You’re not entitled to every AP in the game. why does having these AP’s available affect you in any way? There are plenty of other points you can get. It’s not like having points here takes away from possible points elsewhere. Just stick to the activities you enjoy, what’s the big deal?

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

why does having these AP’s available affect you in any way?

Look at the EU leaderboards for AP. That should tell you everything you need to know about this guy. He probably has about as many posts on the official forum as AP. All with this tone too.

in PvP

Posted by: STARCROSSED.6419

STARCROSSED.6419

I think u need to get good like twerknacos, he’s alrdy top 25 and hes rank 1 ap in NA. Maybe u should stop complaining and get good. MMR calculation is fine, you’re just bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Vegetation.6419

Vegetation.6419

Let’s get back to basics. AP stands for Achievement Points.

So what you’re saying is, that is it unfair to give achievement points to someone who finishes the season in the top 250 players, and actually worked hard to be at the top, because you cannot?

How fair is that?

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

So what you’re saying is, that is it unfair to give achievement points to someone who finishes the season in the top 250 players, and actually worked hard to be at the top, because you cannot?

How fair is that?

kitten , this thread was almost off the first page of the forums.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Vegetation.6419

Vegetation.6419

How fair is that?

kitten , this thread was almost off the first page of the forums.

I merely saw it because someone recently posted in it

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

How fair is that?

The way that Anet has historically used AP are not for limited-pool awards. When they did the WvW seasons, they didn’t have the servers get bonus AP, they just gave them a prestige finisher, and that was enough.

Whether one is able to accomplish taking 1st and getting all the AP doesn’t mean that’s how they should award them. Especially, as has been noted in several threads already, one’s MMR can be vastly different from another’s just based on a couple of games, where, in a perfect world, they’d have the same MMR.

IMO, the titles are enough prestige for any pvper to enjoy.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoda Slayer.4176

Zoda Slayer.4176

The new achievements should give 0 AP just like the original Legend of the Arena (Top 5 on sPvP Paid Tournament leaderboards), Master of the Arena (Top 10 on sPvP Paid Tournament leaderboards), Veteran of the Arena (Top 25 on sPvP Paid Tournament leaderboards), Soldier of the Arena (Top 50 on sPvP Paid Tournament leaderboards), and Challenger of the Arena (Top 100 on sPvP Paid Tournament leaderboards).

I don’t know who designs the reward system for this game but they can’t stay consistent, just look at the pay to win black lion collection achievements lol gg anet

-Love,
One of your top 5 AP hunters Zoda Slayer.4176

in PvP

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I’ll be interested to see what Anet decide over this. In a world devoid of achievement hunter anxieties it wouldn’t really matter, but there are some people who are pretty engrossed with increasing their achievement “score” and generally ‘getting ALL the things’ and I guess Anet need to appease them.

Personally, I think Anet should just proceed with the current setup. I would feel rather selfish to deny some players achievements because the method of acquisition didn’t fit with what I think is the only appropriate implementation.

Gandara

in PvP

Posted by: Stivie.4538

Stivie.4538

The way that Anet has historically used AP are not for limited-pool awards. When they did the WvW seasons, they didn’t have the servers get bonus AP, they just gave them a prestige finisher, and that was enough.

Whether one is able to accomplish taking 1st and getting all the AP doesn’t mean that’s how they should award them. Especially, as has been noted in several threads already, one’s MMR can be vastly different from another’s just based on a couple of games, where, in a perfect world, they’d have the same MMR.

thats true !

i want to add something:

If a net want to have some special achievement, they could use maybe:

do for example:
500 pvp matches
250 wins in the season
1000 kills

and so on…

everyone will have a chance to get it

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

thats true !

i want to add something:

If a net want to have some special achievement, they could use maybe:

do for example:
500 pvp matches
250 wins in the season
1000 kills

and so on…

everyone will have a chance to get it

If any of the players who make the top 250 actually want the AP that currently comes with it, what is your justification for telling those players that they do not deserve those AP. What changes in your life at all due to these players earning AP that affects your game in a negative way?

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

If any of the players who make the top 250 actually want the AP that currently comes with it, what is your justification for telling those players that they do not deserve those AP. What changes in your life at all due to these players earning AP that affects your game in a negative way?

Again, as someone who will probably get into the top 100 (not trying to brag, just based on past pvp experiences), I still don’t like the system as-is. Hell, even if I got the top 1, it’d still feel crappy that I got more AP than others because of the arbitrary cut-off.

The titles are enough prestige as-is. The very real situation is likely that they copied the past legend title achievements and changed the reqs and didn’t give it much more thought. And that’s OK, but it should be addressed.

And if PvP players want more AP from their PvP activities, I’m all for that. I’d love to have my playtime be more beneficial and enjoy the gametype I love the most. But I don’t think limited-pool AP are the way to do that. They already said that they want new AP sections for each map, even core ones, which I think is amazing, and they should absolutely do that.

in PvP

Posted by: Somehow.4769

Somehow.4769

AP are for completionists. Not being able to complete something ruins the motivation on the long term – and Anet could remove AP at all then.

Top PVP is for people who love competition. Mixing both concepts results in “competition rewards” mixed with “meaningles aspects”. 6 AP? Less than a daily.
But obviously handing out 10000 AP is also no solution.

It’s better to seperate both concepts.
APs as realistic achieveable goals for completionists.
For competitive people exclusive titels/emotes/skins. Or hand out 10.000 Gold for the top players. A pink/golden emote. Or whatever. They probably care more about this than they would care about 6 AP.

Oh then they should remove all AP from players that did all the Ls1 content and achievements since you cant get them anymore and for all the other Legendary titles and from all the Monthlies really this is a non issue besides self entitled players crying about Achievement Points being actually awarded for Achieving something. Maybe they should rename them Entitlement Points.

You might not be able to get them now but when they were available LS1 achievements were available to everyone. There were no limit on the number of persons who could get those AP. This is nowhere near what the OP is about.

in PvP

Posted by: Somehow.4769

Somehow.4769

Again, as someone who will probably get into the top 100 (not trying to brag, just based on past pvp experiences), I still don’t like the system as-is. Hell, even if I got the top 1, it’d still feel crappy that I got more AP than others because of the arbitrary cut-off.

The titles are enough prestige as-is. The very real situation is likely that they copied the past legend title achievements and changed the reqs and didn’t give it much more thought. And that’s OK, but it should be addressed.

And if PvP players want more AP from their PvP activities, I’m all for that. I’d love to have my playtime be more beneficial and enjoy the gametype I love the most. But I don’t think limited-pool AP are the way to do that. They already said that they want new AP sections for each map, even core ones, which I think is amazing, and they should absolutely do that.

Also there are many other ways of rewarding players based on their rank. A unique finisher displaying the player’s rank for instance.

in PvP

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

This whole thread makes me sad for the future of our entire world.

No one in this game should have 30k AP and still be considered alive.

30k is not the problem. You can have 33k AP with half of my playtime, but it takes exponentially more effort to progress the closer you are to having 100% of the achievements.
The last 40 AP will literally take me another ~3500 hours.

why are you even building AP? like, whats the point?

AP is the only and on serious achievement of a player in gw2 PvE. Almost every skin in the game can be bought with gold. There is absolutely no “show off” effect in carrying 2 legendaries at the same time. You just farmed gold to buy them off the TP.
Come with 40k AP and full Radiant Armor Set then I know you are are a Pro player becasue you had to painstakingly go through every aspect of the game and chew through that achis.

AP collecting is the only and sole long term goal for the end game PvE players. Period.

Further on,

I also want to add my complete dislike of adding further AP Points to unaccessible things like Raids and PvP Rank Lists. Design the AP Points so that 50 % of the base can get them.
Elitist players wanted Raids. Give them gold as rewards and leave them be. They can get 1k gold out of raids in one week, I dont care.
Give PvP “masters” their titles so they can brag. Do the Same for WvW. But please do not tie AP Points to content meant for 1% of the playerbase.

in PvP

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

AP needs to be removed for these, titles are good but NOT AP.
Please remove the AP from all of them.

in PvP

Posted by: ibchillin.7805

ibchillin.7805

We are discussing this internally.

You gonna also discuss how it’s obvious all your streamers, pro players and developers are taking all the top spots with multiple alts?

in PvP

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

If AP were to be given it should by the chests that everyone can get all the way up to Byzamtium.

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

AP already means nothing in this game since there are exclusive points that no one will ever have access to except for the ppl that grinded them at the time. There is no ‘feats of strength’ achievements with AP removed like in other MMOs.

If they removed AP from this then remove AP from those other now-unobtainable achievements as well (and deal with the crybabies that they lost some AP), or award everyone with that lost amount of AP and from now on use the system MMOs have been using for eons to keep it fair..

The achievement system was garbage from the get go.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

A system like the feats of strength could be incorporated by having two achievement point tracks. One counts all the APs you’ve ever earned, and goes towards getting the achievement chests. The other only counts APs for achievements that are currently active, and that’s the total the leaderboards use.

Heck, you could also remove dailies from the leaderboard totals, so new players aren’t looking at needing four years before they have a chance of getting on the leaderboard. If they did that they could also remove the caps, so that people who are working towards the chasts but don’t care about the leaderboards are actually better off.

(I think under this system, achievement points for placing in the top 250 of the previous season should count for the leaderboards, but only for the previous season.)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

While you guys are at this maybe you should consider removing the Achievement leader-boards entirely? They’re a pointless competition that no new player will ever be able to compete in (LS1 alone has seen to that). Then create more Achievements that can award higher points.

An Achievement should be a fun little thing that pops up in the corner of the UI as you play and an occasional source of little “thanks for playing” rewards. They shouldn’t be something you measure yourself against other players by; that’s PvP’s job.

in PvP

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

While you guys are at this maybe you should consider removing the Achievement leader-boards entirely? They’re a pointless competition that no new player will ever be able to compete in (LS1 alone has seen to that). Then create more Achievements that can award higher points.

An Achievement should be a fun little thing that pops up in the corner of the UI as you play and an occasional source of little “thanks for playing” rewards. They shouldn’t be something you measure yourself against other players by; that’s PvP’s job.

You’re in part right, but achievements are even something that completionists like me want to complete: you can find them on every platform and on every device you play.

And the problem here, as I stated, It’s that in four year have never been a single achievement locked for just “X players”, nothing else.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

If anything, this game needs more exclusivity.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in PvP

Posted by: Gidz.1586

Gidz.1586

If anything, this game needs more exclusivity.

Totally agree.

in PvP

ZilentNight.5089

It makes no sense to add AP here tho, regardless of who is chasing AP. The titles make sense so I agree with keeping those there but the AP should be removed from these.

in PvP

Posted by: BennyKay.6139

BennyKay.6139

Getting in the top 250 is an achievement. I don’t get it, are you wanting AP to represent someone’s achievements in the game or just how much time they spent in the game farming AP?

If someone makes it in the top 250 and that gave him more AP than you, then that is completely fair. He was better than you or more determined than you in a particular game mode.

And if he is just someone that doesn’t farm AP and doesn’t have anywhere near as much than you do, then what does it matter? He wouldn’t be competing at all for some fabled top AP slot you people seem to be fighting for.

I guess my point is, I get that your goal in getting top AP is like a pvp player’s goal of getting to the top of the ranked leaderboard. But it seems with your AP goals, you believe anyone who puts in the same amount of time into the game, regardless of skill, should be able to receive the same amount of AP. At that point I just can’t help but wonder, what’s the point. If all you want to do is flaunt how much you smash your head on the keyboard in the game, just share screen shots of your /age.

I agree with you 100%. The whole “participation trophy” mentality needs to end. If you do not perform well you do not get a reward. Harsh, yes, but necessary. This is a game, and in games some will lose.

Anteater Academy
Tempest | Reaper | DH
Platinum Rated Trash Player

in PvP

ZilentNight.5089

Yes but those ppl top 250 are getting a title and kitten, AP does not make sense here is what the OP is saying and I completely agree with him.

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Previous

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

After an internal review, we’ve decided that awarding points for achievements that are this exclusive goes against the intent and spirit of our achievement system. We’ll be removing the points on these in a future release.

in PvP

ZilentNight.5089

Thank you Ben n the team! This is the type of feedback we want, really awesome!

in PvP

Posted by: skarpak.8594

skarpak.8594

After an internal review, we’ve decided that awarding points for achievements that are this exclusive goes against the intent and spirit of our achievement system. We’ll be removing the points on these in a future release.

can anet also please change the name of said achievements points?
barly anything is an achievement in this game and if the harder achievements are 0 points worth anyway, then something is wrong….it is definitly a achievement to be a top player and getting said achievement should be worth more ap.

and being this exclusive? whats that argument? living story season one? other points you can’t get anymore?

if someone with 600 ap would make a thread about that, everyone would laugh at him, but if somebody better known says something, annet instantly hops or what?

was the same with the sort inventory button when a streamer made a video…boom, next patch there is a change.

do we all have to be well known now in some kind of category so you hear all opinions and not just one?

kinda makes me sad.

in PvP

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

Well, I guess the whiners won. At least it proves how pointless the AP leaderboard is when the people on it have to complain until AP that they can’t get is removed.

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

So, achieving top position in pvp ladder is actually not an achievement? What?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

So lucky I don’t get to decide on things like this. I would have made the titles worth 10k+ AP just to really rub it in the faces of the AP hunters. Bunch of whiners. If it really meant that much to you, you should just get good and earn the title.

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I am incredibly disappointed with that. You’ve basically told players that getting into the top 250 is not an achievement worthy of any points. I’m saddened it seems you wont be removing the points from previous Legendary titles to align with this new decision.

The Achievement system should be to display what people achieve in game, I’d say top 250 is a great one.

Kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Sandzibar.5134

Sandzibar.5134

Yet timegated and historic AP that no new player can ever achieve is fine?

Your hypocrisy is hilarious ANet.

Strip the AP farmers of ALL AP that new players cannot also achieve, as surely that would “be in the spirit of our achievement system” too.

in PvP

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

Well congrats “Malediktus.3740” complaining WON, what signifies a achievement for your team then? Because with this statement it would appear being one of the best spvp players in your game, which you have hosted several $20k+ (of which some of those players sit within the top250) is NOT an achievement your current system.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

(edited by Mastermavrick.2439)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

So lucky I don’t get to decide on things like this. I would have made the titles worth 10k+ AP just to really rub it in the faces of the AP hunters. Bunch of whiners. If it really meant that much to you, you should just get good and earn the title.

Please, pass me the salt when you are done.

(…) At least it proves how pointless the AP leaderboard is(…)

I wouldnt say pointless. But achievement points only really show dedication to the game, since most of them can only be gotten by playing the game regularly and often are pretty grindy.

(…)So, achieving top position in pvp ladder is actually not an achievement? What?

It is an achievement, and it rewards a title. A pretty awesome title, tbh.

(…)I am incredibly disappointed with that. You’ve basically told players that getting into the top 250 is not an achievement worthy of any points(…)

Killing 500 type x mobs awards more achievement points. I fail to see the big drama, since achievement points dont mean anything in PvP.

How about, instead of getting achievement points on those top 250 achievements, its a chest where players can pick one of the achievement point skins?

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

The AP hunters seem to be those “everyone gets a participation trophy” type of people from the looks of it. Rewarding everyone just for trying. Perhaps they need to look up the definition of achievement. There should be some exclusive things that not everyone could get, you should be rewarded for being the best. If you want it badly enough, you’ll try to be the best. I’m disappointed Anet. Stop carebearing so much. Since you want everything to be obtainable by everyone, how about we make legendary armor purchacable for wvw badges and pvp currency? How do ya feel about that? Its only fair right?

Attachments:

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in PvP

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

I am incredibly disappointed with that. You’ve basically told players that getting into the top 250 is not an achievement worthy of any points. I’m saddened it seems you wont be removing the points from previous Legendary titles to align with this new decision.

The Achievement system should be to display what people achieve in game, I’d say top 250 is a great one.

It’s not the same, as many tried to explain several times.
Everyone could get those points on the previous seasons, EVERYONE.
On this season, ONLY 250 people could, and the 251th and top wouldn’t get anything.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

in PvP

Posted by: Konakona.4130

Konakona.4130

That is really lame tbh. Ofcourse no one from top250 couldn’t care less about that 6 points or smth, but the fact that you listen to 5 AP-addicted whiners is really sad. Next thing you will probably remove the exclusive titles, because “it is not fair”, like you did with capricorn/coliseum.

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If it really meant that much to you, you should just get good and earn the title.

There is one thing to make an achievement hard to get but this isn’t the case. The 6 AP for the top title will go to ONE person. If only ONE person out of the entire population will get that 6 AP no amount of “get good” can help anyone else.

Getting to Legendary division in previous seasons also had an achievement and a title, but I didn’t see anyone complaining because it was obtainable. These AP are not obtainable and it’s a good thing they were removed.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

in PvP

Posted by: AlexPort.9204

AlexPort.9204

It’s not the same, as many tried to explain several times.
Everyone could get those points on the previous seasons, EVERYONE.
On this season, ONLY 250 people could, and the 251th and top wouldn’t get anything.

that doesnt mean that everyone was capable to achieve it in the last seasons. when you cant reach that level, you simply cant. same as this season. you want the AP? try to improve yourself in pvp and get into the top 250. that is also achievable for EVERYONE. simple is that.

in PvP

Posted by: Vallun.2071

Vallun.2071

What is the " intent and spirit of our achievement system" then? because most achievements nowadays are just signs of participation. Other than for skins it seems pointless if there isn’t going to be at least some degree of exclusivity other than “were you there when a historical living story event happened?”. Granted I don’t think they handled this seasons achievement point rewards well, especially because the top 10 is just 5 people if you include toker and kat’s alt accounts. Just reaching legend once should give you an achievement like last seasons, which is hard enough as is without even having to hold it until the end of the season, or even platinum if the exponential rating punishments seem too harsh at those tiers.

My vision of achievement points is showing experience in all game modes. So even a “win this many matches during the season” achievement would be fine because you have to get exposed to the pvp meta that season to win that many matches, thus gaining experience in that game type. I guess that is kind of what they were going for with the reward chest progression though.

Anyway, I can chill now I guess because maintaining my spot in the top 25 doesn’t really matter. A “____ legend” title isn’t really that appealing to me.

Design more challenging achievements though, ty

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

that doesnt mean that everyone was capable to achieve it in the last seasons. when you cant reach that level, you simply cant. same as this season. you want the AP? try to improve yourself in pvp and get into the top 250. that is also achievable for EVERYONE. simple is that.

You missed the part where only the top player would be able to get the top 6 AP, so that’s not achievable by everyone, but just by ONE person and no amount of get good can help with it. AP for ONE person is wrong

in PvP

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Why? Achievement… Something to be achieved. This person achieved the #1 spot on the ladder. There SHOULD be things worth achievement points that not everyone can obtain.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

Why? Achievement… Something to be achieved. This person achieved the #1 spot on the ladder. There SHOULD be things worth achievement points that not everyone can obtain.

Yes, achievements for something not everyone can obtain are good. Achievements that limit how many will get them by adding number limits are not. They could say anyone with a rating of 2000 will get the top title, anyone with a rating of 1900 will get the second title, 1800 rating the third and so on (arbitary numbers). That way everyone has access to the achievement and they can all potentially get them if they get good enough. Limiting the achievement to one player “just because” isn’t a good way to go.

And I repeat: getting to Legendary division last season gave AP and a title. Not everyone was able to reach Legendary but it was fine. There was no thing like “only 250 people are allowed in Legendary division”