Why AP for the top 250 titles is not cool

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Where did I imply that I would be able to earn those MMR thresholds? After all I am silver 3 currently.
But I think those MMR thresholds would make it more fair and less frustrating since moving goalposts are frustrating. Since the leaderboard currently seems to take decimal MMR into account (making it close to impossible to be tied with someone), imagine how frustrating it would be if you would miss the one of the titles by a fraction of a MMR point or drop out of top 3 or 10 because you got unlucky too often with afkers / people who get paid to throw.

So? Why should people be tied if they don’t have the exact same rating? Anyone can get the titles, everybodies has the same chances to attempt for them in game, why should they make a competitive system less competitive? People complained about material rewards being locked behind divisions and said competitive players should only be rewarded with titles, guess what that’s what they did, they have the competitive players titles that have value because you have to compete to get them, more so for the more prestigious ones.

So again why should they cater to your ideas that removes value from these competitive rewards?

It is simple.
At 2000+ MMR even 10 MMR points difference is just 0.5% difference, let alone a decimal MMR. Do you want to tell me the MMR algorith is so great that it can determine the skill of someone with more than 99.5% accuracy in just a few hundred games or less? I am very doubtful considering this is a team game and you are only 20% of the team.
I think it is save to say that a difference of 0.5% or less MMR points can be blamed to matchmaking luck even after lets say 300 matches.
So it is impossible to say that anyone is more deserving of being rank 1 (or insert any other title threshold) than someone else with really close MMR.
No algorithm will ever nail the skill of someone in a team game like this to the exact value. It is not a 100m race where you can say someone run the track in 9.8s and the next person needed 9.85s where you have a clear winner.

Again if they don’t meet the requirements they don’t deserve the title what don’t you understand about this being in a competitive game mode for a competitive title.

Again, I understand this MMR system pretty well. It does a decent job at putting people into skill bracket, but it completly fails at determining if someone is worthy of being #1, #2 or #3. It is impossible to say that someone with 2133 rating is better than someone with 2122 rating, let alone 2132 rating.
On top of that there are many ways to game the system: queue dodging, playing off peak hours, paying people to throw, hireing pro players to carry you in duoQ (I would assume even if 2 equally skilled people coordinate on teamspeak it will boost their MMR by ~200 above their soloQ rating), playing with smurfs (mainly NA problem at the moment).
Furthermore it does not do a good job to take luck into account (afks and other ways people throw, team compositions, people in your team or enemy team whose MMR has not settled yet).

To make a truly competitive system in GW2 we would have to change quite a lot. Most likely not even possible.
There would need to be a system that forces people who have a close rating to each other to play against each other. There would have to be judges who look out for people who throw matches on purpose and manually adjust MMR of people whenever justified. There would need to be seperate leaderboards for solo and team/duoQ.
Old MMR must not affect the leaderboards. It is bad if people with an old MMR of above 1200 have a head start in the system (and on the contrary people with an old MMR of below 1200 get punished).

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: BennyKay.6139

BennyKay.6139

someone please clarify since i do not like to read pages of BS. What the complainers are saying is that time spent in game alone should reward you with the maximum level of AP, not skill?? I will never be top 100 (maybe top 250) but kitten i try and practice all the time. If I never get that AP then I did not try hard enough and the people who did deserve it. If time spent playing this game dictated AP i would have 20k + but i only have 5k + since i mostly just PvP. I am not complaining to ANET to make HOT legendaries sellable on TP. Seems to me as a pvp player ill never get Nevermore…. But I dont complain about that. So why are the AP hunters complaining that they will never atain these measly AP’s from PVP?? This aspect of GW2 is competitive. If you can not handle skill based competition gtfo and go play final fantasy.

Anteater Academy
Tempest | Reaper | DH
Platinum Rated Trash Player

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

someone please clarify since i do not like to read pages of BS. What the complainers are saying is that time spent in game alone should reward you with the maximum level of AP, not skill? I will never be top 100 (maybe top 250) but kitten i try and practice all the time. If I never get that AP then I did not try hard enough and the people who did deserve it. If time spent playing this game dictated AP i would have 20k + but i only have 5k + since i mostly just PvP. I am not complaining to ANET to make HOT legendaries sellable on TP. Seems to me as a pvp player ill never get Nevermore…. But I dont complain about that. So why are the AP hunters complaining that they will never atain these measly AP’s from PVP???? This aspect of GW2 is competitive. If you can not handle skill based competition gtfo and go play final fantasy.

Most used the Special Pleading Logical Fallacy and stated that the top 250 pvp players don’t AP hunt anyway so they don’t need the AP; they said that since it’s “pointless” for them to have it, that it should be removed.

Many responses to these AP hunters were Ad Hominem attacks, which certainly didn’t make the for-keeping side look very sporty.

All-in-all this thread was a load of kittens, in my opinion.

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I still fail to see how having AP rewards for this hurts anyone. Why shouldn’t people who play extremely well be rewarded with AP as well as other benefits? How does this hurt anyone?

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I still fail to see how having AP rewards for this hurts anyone. Why shouldn’t people who play extremely well be rewarded with AP as well as other benefits? How does this hurt anyone?

It doesn’t hurt anyone and the daft thing is that the achievement hunter who made the thread doesn’t realise no other achievement hunter even close to contesting him in AP will get a title either.

This next bit isn’t directed at you solstace.

I personally think the decision to remove achievement points from the top 250 titles is a terrible thing. These are things you have to earn not just roll up with some people and afk till they do it for you. I find it even more outrageous that you will remove achievement points on the whim of someone who has clearly got selfish reasons for this when they are available to everyone equally (physical and mental disabilities not withstanding) and the only thing standing in the person’s way is themselves.

If you’re going down this path can you please remove all achievement points from all past living story as this is grossly unfair to those who did not have the game at the time.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It doesn’t hurt anyone and the daft thing is that the achievement hunter who made the thread doesn’t realise no other achievement hunter even close to contesting him in AP will get a title either.

Numba 1 AP skilled player from NA Maguuma tabbynachos is top 15 right now

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Numba 1 AP skilled player from NA Maguuma tabbynachos is top 15 right now

Yeah but that’s NA doing everything possible to ruin their own competitive scene. There are only 3 suspiciously low matches played accounts in the top 50 in EU, 15 in the whole of the top 250.

in PvP

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

someone please clarify since i do not like to read pages of BS. What the complainers are saying is that time spent in game alone should reward you with the maximum level of AP, not skill?? I will never be top 100 (maybe top 250) but kitten i try and practice all the time. If I never get that AP then I did not try hard enough and the people who did deserve it. If time spent playing this game dictated AP i would have 20k + but i only have 5k + since i mostly just PvP. I am not complaining to ANET to make HOT legendaries sellable on TP. Seems to me as a pvp player ill never get Nevermore…. But I dont complain about that. So why are the AP hunters complaining that they will never atain these measly AP’s from PVP?? This aspect of GW2 is competitive. If you can not handle skill based competition gtfo and go play final fantasy.

What a great post!

Topic starters rating right now is 1400, i wonder why he has started that topic…hm..prolly he has 700 decay and he is 2100+ atm (jk lal)

I don’t understand why people who plays really well and better then you don’t deserve these APoints. Is it just because you can’t reach competitive ladder positions?

I don’t say that pvpers need these AP. I just want to say that it is very rude and shamefully for you to create the topic, which shows the real gameskill of top AP farmers. At least you let us know it’s kinda 0 now.

Benny gave to you a very good advice. FF awaits

Talék

(edited by Talek.6795)