Why Automated Tournaments will fail

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Yeah, I agree. I’m confident that ATs as they are currently will fail. There’s simply no incentive to form teams not only because of rewards, but because they are facing people way above their current skill level. I really think you need different levels of tournaments to make them work.

in PvP

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

Different levels for sure. Tiered levels with corresponding rewards.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

My team always gets put to 3rd round why is tgat

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

in PvP

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Yeah, I agree. I’m confident that ATs as they are currently will fail. There’s simply no incentive to form teams not only because of rewards, but because they are facing people way above their current skill level. I really think you need different levels of tournaments to make them work.

And how exactly do you create different tiers of competition with low PvP population ? It is already happening in ranked and even with a given rating you still get lopsided matches. Anyway even if you create that, the same thing will happen: manipulation of games with smurf accounts 2.0 (in NA especially). At some point you are gonna need to accept that gw2 PvP will never ever reach the potential of a true PvP focused game. You also make it sound that no team whatsoever will ever improve (if anything unranked should get 5v5 only separate queue). How do you expect them to improve if they are stuck facing the same team of their tiers ? And how do you account for the level of a PvP team reaching another tiers if there is so much disparity between tiers in the first place ? You really believe that all “pro team” up there will spend their entire day playing every single tournament of the day if you basically only need to to only win two tournaments to qualify for the monthlies ? Make daily rewards more appealing and more people will join. That is pretty much it.

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

a skill imbalance will always exist in tourneys it will get better with each tourney as ppl collect more tourne tickets and they get matched with teams of similar amount of tickets

in PvP

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Tournaments will fail because people will lose. And people hate losing! And the puppy prize isn’t worth near as much as when you win.

Okay then.

If you can’t stand losing, don’t play PvP. If you want to win, you need to get better, team with better people, find out what YOU did wrong, before you find out what went wrong on your team.

I mean, the PvP in this game is low population, you only will play with the people from your neighbourhood, some of those people are top tier, and some are just not so good.
No amount of tiering system is going to give you a better experience. Mostly because that would just mean you would maybe win one match every once in a while, and then still don’t get mroe reward because you’re so low on the tiering system that you barely qualify for reward.

All it does is reminding me of a child that wants to play football/soccer outside and all the kids in his neighbourhood are (way) better at it than him. To which he says, football will fail, because I can’t play it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Ithwilwen, are you still playing core PU Mesmer?

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: JahCool.3812

JahCool.3812

Please OP I have seen countless of posts by you complaining about matchmaking and other pvp stuff maybe you should get out of your comfort zone and try other stuff or find a good duel partner so you can get better. First time I joined an AT i was whispered a few moments before closing of registration by my friend. We stomped every team till quarterfinals when we were matched against top players who rolled us over but for me it was a fun experience and it motivated me to get better. We didnt even use TS or discord btw cause it is a spur of the moment team. Let me tell you about this friend that invited me. I used to be higher ranked than him and i taught him a few stuff about rotations and matchups and guess what he is now ranked higher than me( mid plat now I think) cause what he did is that he got out of his comfort zone and played almost all classes like i told him to just to learn the basics of other classes rotations etc. What fascinated me is my friend was able to get better in only a few months and you OP who has been playing for a long time got overtaken by him. He only has 4k AP atm and only been playing for less than a year. So TLDR please OP get out of your comfort zone and take a look at yourself first because most guys know you in this forum already as the mesmer player who is somehow the most unlucky player in pvp matchmaking. Record a video of how you play show it to us so we can help you.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

someone the other day joked that he/she is actually just an ANET employee trolling us lol, starting to believe its just a caricature of how ANET sees the average poster on here.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: JahCool.3812

JahCool.3812

Sadly i recognize his/her account cause Ithilwen used to be my guildie. Which is more sad cause he/she has been playing pvp alot but is unable to progress because of maybe personal barrier?

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I’ve just come from my 3rd Automated Tournament (AT.)

For the third time in a row, we were matched against a team that utterly curb stomped us in the first round. Apparently, ANET is using a “competitive” ladder that matches the lowest team against the highest.

With population as low as it is, why the kitten would you do that? It approaches sadistic to deliberately set up one side to lose hard. The rewards simply aren’t even close to high enough to compensate.

Will I be back? Yes. Then again, I’m a masochist.

Keep in mind this is for people that want to compete at a high level with 5 man teams. If you want to play casual 5 man pvp unranked or hotjoin is the only option right now.

I would break it up into three tiers based on people’s MMR. Not everyone is capable or willing to put the time into being at a legendary/plat skill level. Grade school kids don’t have to play NBA teams if they want to compete in an organized manner so why do that here. Once the skill gap is too high between players they aren’t going to learn anything besides they can’t compete with their opponents.

Opening up ATs to lower skilled players will help grow the community. just make sure the rewards are appropriate. winning in the highest tier should have significant rewards. winning at the lower tiers should not be limited to improving your rating.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Please OP I have seen countless of posts by you complaining about matchmaking and other pvp stuff maybe you should get out of your comfort zone and try other stuff or find a good duel partner so you can get better. So TLDR please OP get out of your comfort zone and take a look at yourself first because most guys know you in this forum already as the mesmer player who is somehow the most unlucky player in pvp matchmaking. Record a video of how you play show it to us so we can help you.

I once recorded a match at the request of the forum. ( and have since improved a great deal using some of the suggestions ) I endured more than a week of trolling online afterwards. My toon was recognizable enough that I got regularly harassed and even asked to commit suicide rather than be on someone’s team.

Sorry, I have no trust left. I don’t recommend anyone who is not a popular streamer show video to this forum.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

With population as low as it is, why the kitten would you do that? It approaches sadistic to deliberately set up one side to lose hard. The rewards simply aren’t even close to high enough to compensate.

I’m pretty sure it’s not actually intentional beyond players crying about not having anything to do, so a-net pushes something out and it’s kind of awful given as you said “the low population”.

Problem is that they still keep pushing the stuff that either isn’t appealing to the masses, or isn’t balanced well enough for it’s format that supposedly:
“is the only format that works with our game, trust us! We tested everything else.” – Arena-net

It’s probably healthier if you just don’t queue, and don’t continue to support it. The lower the queue population the more likely there will be change. Do things you enjoy.

I don’t like conquest or stronghold, so I have not played ranked since season 3… (tho lately for daily..) I do however love the 2v2s even if the balance needs to start being built on it. I also love the FFA arena; where I can pop in, get a few kills, and leave at my leisure. (unless someone tries to stop me.) Also the anti-teleport field is probably the most balanced thing since pre-HoT specialization patch. Neither of these give you real rewards but oh well, I find it much more fun than the formats imposed on us.

You say you are a masochist but you don’t have to subject yourself to things you don’t find fun.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

And how exactly do you create different tiers of competition with low PvP population ? It is already happening in ranked and even with a given rating you still get lopsided matches. Anyway even if you create that, the same thing will happen: manipulation of games with smurf accounts 2.0 (in NA especially). At some point you are gonna need to accept that gw2 PvP will never ever reach the potential of a true PvP focused game. You also make it sound that no team whatsoever will ever improve (if anything unranked should get 5v5 only separate queue). How do you expect them to improve if they are stuck facing the same team of their tiers ? And how do you account for the level of a PvP team reaching another tiers if there is so much disparity between tiers in the first place ? You really believe that all “pro team” up there will spend their entire day playing every single tournament of the day if you basically only need to to only win two tournaments to qualify for the monthlies ? Make daily rewards more appealing and more people will join. That is pretty much it.

Ranked is not a tournament. It is a LEAGUE. You get rewarded win or lose. Tournaments are different. There are actual stakes. You do not get rewarded if you lose. You get eliminated from the competition.

To create different tournament levels, I’d simply use MMR. (Low: 0-500, Mid: 500-1000, High: 1000-1500) Easy. As far as lower level teams improving? Simple. When they consistently beat the crap out of their peers, they’re ready for higher levels. You gotta walk before you can run. As far as accounting for disparity? Again, simple. The more teams play, the less the disparity over time, like any game. The difference now is that everybody plays with their peers as opposed to just throwing everybody together. Throwing rewards at the problem will…not…solve it. Look at ranked.

Last thing, I agree. PvP will never reach its potential. That ship has sailed long ago. Conquest has been shoved down our throats for 5 years. But…so what? That’s no excuse to not make changes. “Low population” is not an excuse to avoid changes. Unless, people don’t care about PvP anymore. In which in any case, change is pointless. Because nothing changes if people don’t care.

in PvP

Posted by: Exalted Quality.8534

Exalted Quality.8534

OP,

It’s people like you that voted for the garbage solo/duoQ after complaining of getting rekt in ranked matches. Now, ATs are the only way for a small group of friends to play competitively. My advice to you is to either stop playing PvP or stop complaining and get good.

I agree with you on the notion that the rewards are underwhelming, but I commend the Devs for giving us something to work with after killing 3-5 stack teams. I still think that reworking Stronghold into more of a GvG format would’ve been the way to go but the conquest ATs are a start.

Follow me on Twitch!
http://twitch.tv/optimalquality

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

OP,

It’s people like you that voted for the garbage solo/duoQ after complaining of getting rekt in ranked matches. Now, ATs are the only way for a small group of friends to play competitively. My advice to you is to either stop playing PvP or stop complaining and get good.

I agree with you on the notion that the rewards are underwhelming, but I commend the Devs for giving us something to work with after killing 3-5 stack teams. I still think that reworking Stronghold into more of a GvG format would’ve been the way to go but the conquest ATs are a start.

Dynamic que was also a garbage system. The better system is to make pvp be either 2-3-5 premades or just 5 man but they wont.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Comments from the last tournament. We were matched against a team that was vastly better.

There thief concluded the match by saying “you’ve been farmed.” He went on to say, “you are the cancer of pvp” and “go back to pve laddie.”

ANET has chosen to use a ladder that virtually guarantees low level teams will get smashed in the early rounds.

It is very clear that this is a closed game. It caters to the top level players. That, anet, is why it will fail.

What anet ought to do is eliminate teams of any kind in pvp and go with pure random queue for AT’s if they are to be continued at all.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

What anet ought to do is eliminate teams of any kind in pvp and go with pure random queue for AT’s if they are to be continued at all.

Yeah no. You don’t remove AT’s because people can’t easilly play them. The entire point of AT is to be competitive. You have ranked ladder, unranked, pvp lobbies, dual arena, et cetera you can play in.

That’s like saying REMOVE RAIDS because they aren’t super easy. People don’t play this game because they want super easy.

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

You know what no. This makes me angry that Poeple pug a group or make a random 5man guild team and expect to own. At is avilible for everyone but to expect to win first prize by pugging is a joke. You want to win make a static pre-made and work hard spend time practicing and compete don’t think Yeah I am good the 4 others in my team are good solo to so we will win this as you won’t. You will never beat a team that puts time and effort into his team’s progress. At are t here for everyone and equal chances for everyone but if u want top prise then your team will need to put the blood sweat and tears in like others did and earn it.
I really want to static team to do at with and accept and know it will be a hard road ahead before we get top 5.we are lucky to have at available for all and the 100needed to do monthly is pugble if u focus on it for like 3weeks a new we will also get lucky and get your 100 but if I ever won the monthly with a random team I would quit the game as it will take the joy of earned competitive pvp away.

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

(edited by Gamble.4580)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

May also be population. Less people playing means you will have more unfair match ups.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Totally disagree with you on the team aspect. We have solo queue.

Tournaments should be teams. There is no game mode other than unranked that lets you team up with people. Guild wars 1 had both team and solo queues and that worked well.

You can’t expect to do well in a tournament if you join up with 4 random pugs and face off against organized teams. But who’s fault is that? The PVP season is designed for single players. Let organized teams have tournaments. That way both sides get a game mode they enjoy.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Comments from the last tournament. We were matched against a team that was vastly better.

There thief concluded the match by saying “you’ve been farmed.” He went on to say, “you are the cancer of pvp” and “go back to pve laddie.”

ANET has chosen to use a ladder that virtually guarantees low level teams will get smashed in the early rounds.

It is very clear that this is a closed game. It caters to the top level players. That, anet, is why it will fail.

Actually what Anet SHOULD do is have each tournament seeded with the player’s history in mind. That way, new teams face new teams or close to that and good teams face good teams. But then again, if you can’t figure out how to get better by watching your gameplay after recording and seeing where your flaws are, then the game can’t help you.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

What game caters to the lowest level players? LOL

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

A game with common sense. If you cater to the top couple of percent you are snubbing the people you expect to profit from.

PvP is suffering low population and consequent low match quality. This is precisely because ANET spent multiple seasons catering to the top players. They were provided “win streaks” and gimme matches at the expense of the low end. Big surprise, a lot of the people simply gave up and left.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

A game with common sense. If you cater to the top couple of percent you are snubbing the people you expect to profit from.

PvP is suffering low population and consequent low match quality. This is precisely because ANET spent multiple seasons catering to the top players. They were provided “win streaks” and gimme matches at the expense of the low end. Big surprise, a lot of the people simply gave up and left.

Tournaments aren’t specifically catered to either the top or the bottom, because everyone can join in. Just not everyone wins. Especially those not organized properly.

That said, if there’s enough teams, having small teams play a few matches, might be more interesting to play tournaments as you might at least defeat one of your little group phase.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik