Why DH Changes were Bad

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

• Purification: The cast time of this ability has been increased from 0.5 seconds to 0.75 seconds.
  • Hunter’s Determination: The cooldown of this trait has been increased from 45 seconds to 60 seconds.

So now Purification is ever more susceptible of getting interrupted… ok so this means casting it around 60% HP when we’re getting focused targeted, or using Focus#5, or Virtues’s F3 Stability just to guarantee a successful cast. Regardless which is used, it means we have to waste a very situational utility just to pull off a heal.

• Looking at other class nerfs, Rev got hit but I don’t think it’s on this level. Everybody virtually plays the same.

Stability & Stun gains in DH treeline is the only reason why our heads are above water in this powercreep meta. I rather they just remove the Aegis & damage proc and give us back our Stability on 45icd.
(passives in this game needs removal entirely but Anet wont do that.)

SoloQ players will still grind their way to Legendary but it’s a huge survival nerf in the proleagues. Last I checked, everyone else’s sustains remains unaltered.

They might as well have reverted the buffed F2 and F3 they made months ago. Anet changes to Purification is working backwards.

You were either a War, Thief, Necro, or Mesmer.

If you were a Rev, Ranger, Engi, then you deserved it. Sorry, but these classes can consistently soft counter Symbol & LB DH builds. There’s no excuses.

Those 3 classes counters us so hard, we were Barely a 5th pick in the pro leagues. Some think we’re not a pick at all.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

i dont think you realize how short .25 of a second is.

im bad at sarcasm

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

i dont think you realize how short .25 of a second is.

I don’t think you realize the effectiveness it has in this game.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Be happy its only 0.75 sec, as necro you have to deal with a 1.25 sec casttime consume conditions… And necros dont have blocks like a guardians focus 5 and stability is restricted to shroud and eliteskills.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

There are other classes who have to deal with a 1sec + cast time on their most used heal skill. Quit whining about a lousy .75 seconds

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Omg, how will you ever manage to get that heal off now? If only your class had access to an abundant combination of stability, blocks, and projectile defense to help you get that whopping .75 sec cast time off.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

• Purification: The cast time of this ability has been increased from 0.5 seconds to 0.75 seconds.
  • Hunter’s Determination: The cooldown of this trait has been increased from 45 seconds to 60 seconds.

So now Purification is ever more susceptible of getting interrupted… ok so this means casting it around 60% HP when we’re getting focused targeted, or using Focus#5, or Virtues’s F3 Stability just to guarantee a successful cast. Regardless which is used, it means we have to waste a very situational utility just to pull off a heal.

• Looking at other class nerfs, Rev got hit but I don’t think it’s on this level. Everybody virtually plays the same.

Stability & Stun gains in DH treeline is the only reason why our heads are above water in this powercreep meta. I rather they just remove the Aegis & damage proc and give us back our Stability on 45icd.

SoloQ players will still grind their way to Legendary but it’s a huge survival nerf in the proleagues. Last I checked, everyone else’s sustains remains unaltered.

They might as well have reverted the buffed F2 and F3 they made months ago. Anet changes to Purification is working backwards.

If you were a Rev, Ranger, Engi, then you deserved it. Sorry, but these classes can consistently soft counter Symbol & LB DH builds. There’s no excuses.

Those 3 classes counters us so hard, we were Barely a 5th pick in the pro leagues. Some think we’re not a pick at all.

What other heal in the game has less than a 1s cast that heals for 8k with no healing power? Seriously it should have gotten hit to base healing that heal is kittening absurd. Seriously what other heal heals for that much besides attacking a glint heal? Not only that but it blinds AND dazes (because yes you all have the kittening trait)

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

What other heal in the game has less than a 1s cast that heals for 8k with no healing power? Seriously it should have gotten hit to base healing that heal is kittening absurd. Seriously what other heal heals for that much besides attacking a glint heal? Not only that but it blinds AND dazes (because yes you all have the kittening trait)

Purification was never an issue before and now the heal is more susceptible to interrupts. I fought a Rev who had plenty of time to use Staff#5 while I was casting Purification…how many other heals in the game are incredibly susceptible to interrupts like ours?

I understand that Rank Queue isn’t filled with pro league players. It’s a random kittenfest in there where players don’t know how to focus target appropriately but in the proleagues players will take advantage of this.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Purification was never an issue before and now the heal is more susceptible to interrupts. I fought a Rev who had plenty of time to use Staff#5 while I was casting Purification…how many other heals in the game are incredibly susceptible to interrupts like ours?

So…counterplay is a bad thing?

I guess the following heals are complete trash because they are more susceptible to interrupts:
- Wash the Pain Away
- We heal as One
- Ether Feast
- Consume Conditions
- Hide in Shadows
- Ether Renewal (actually is still pretty bad, but useful in spots)
- Glyph of elemental Harmony (good choice for dps builds since it got buffed)

If you want a heal that can’t be interrupted and are worried about focus-fire, take shelter. Otherwise, learn to time/cover your heal like 90% of non-thief, non-engie players had to for most of the duration of the game.

Its not like 0.75 is easy to interrupt anyway.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

I think 0.75s cast-time on heal is on par compared to the heals used by other meta builds. The only faster heals used in the meta are from chrono well and rev (warrior doesn’t count since it’s passive). DH post-nerf is tied or faster than every other meta heal.

Going off the top of my head, but I think heal cast times are somewhere in this order:

Super slow / interrupt bait:
Necro (both vamp sig and consume conditions are ~1.25s),
Ele’s WTPA (1.5s, but pulses so partial benefit if interrupted)

Next slowest:
Druid’s WHAO (1s)

*Medium: *
DH (0.75s),
Scrapper’s healing turret (0.75s),
Thief’s channeled vigor (0.75s, altho it pulses so partial benefit if interrupted),

Fast: Chrono well (0.5s)

Fastest: Rev (facet is instant, not sure on shiro heal but I think it’s under 0.5s)

And ofc warrior uses healing sig so irrelevant.

I think the nerf to passive stab is going to make a much bigger difference than the change to purification. My main problem w/ hunter’s determination wasn’t the kitten ICD, it was that so much was loaded into it. Triggering the trait meant a stunbreak, 6 blocks w/ a potential heal on each from the shards (if running symbol build), and a daze on your opponent.

As a result, the DH would get value out of it triggering in pretty much every situation — which reduced counterplay. Even in the worst case scenario of having a thief headshot it away at the start, the DH still gets a trap that will daze if the thief mugs, an aegis to block the mug, and several more shards for aegis.

It looks like the balance patch nerfed both effects by nerfing the ICD and the effect. That might go a little too far, but I haven’t really played around enough w/ the changes to know.

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Omg, how will you ever manage to get that heal off now? If only your class had access to an abundant combination of stability, blocks, and projectile defense to help you get that whopping .75 sec cast time off.

Virtues & Elite can buy us 12-15 seconds depending on how they’re used. Afterwards, we’re reliant on casting Purification, approximately 15s midfight. Just like Warrior’s Endure Pain or Elementalists invulnerability or Rev’s Glint, players switch targets immediately then jump back on target. Players knows to do this without being asked.

Hunter’s Determination casts early fight when we least need it, unless we’re getting bursted down by 2+ people. We need it again in 45sec, NOT 60s later.

Indomitable Courage and Heavy Light is the two other Stability items we have. The random Aegis we get throughout the fight is unreliable when we need it most.

Where’s this abundance of Stability that we have? When was “projectile defenses” a thing? I’ve never heard that term being used in GW2 PvP, let alone it having to suddenly negate CC effects.

So…counterplay is a bad thing?

I guess the following heals are complete trash because they are more susceptible to interrupts:
- Wash the Pain Away
- We heal as One
- Ether Feast
- Consume Conditions
- Hide in Shadows
- Ether Renewal (actually is still pretty bad, but useful in spots)
- Glyph of elemental Harmony (good choice for dps builds since it got buffed)

If you want a heal that can’t be interrupted and are worried about focus-fire, take shelter. Otherwise, learn to time/cover your heal like 90% of non-thief, non-engie players had to for most of the duration of the game.

Its not like 0.75 is easy to interrupt anyway.

Besides Necro, do you realize how great those classes can recover when their heal gets interrupted compared to DH?

Our Purification, virtues, and the 2s invuln Elite is all we have. You get rid of 1 and there goes a quarter (or more) of our sustains with little to nothing to fall back on. We’re so utterly dependent on these items that it effects us a heck of a lot more than other classes.
Our recovery time is nonexistant.

The reason why Shelter stopped being used shortly after HoT was because of the unblockable powercreep in the game. It would get interrupted and was a liability. If Shelter was an invulnerability i’d switch in a heartbeat.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Besides Necro, do you realize how great those classes can recover when their heal gets interrupted compared to DH?

Our Purification, virtues, and the 2s invuln Elite is all we have. You get rid of 1 and there goes a quarter (or more) of our sustains with little to nothing to fall back on. We’re so utterly dependent on these items that it effects us a heck of a lot more than other classes.

The reason why Shelter stopped being used shortly after HoT was because of the unblockable powercreep in the game. It would get interrupted and was a liability. If Shelter was an invulnerability i’d switch in a heartbeat.

You also have focus block or shield healing, you have healing from your medis, and you still have your vitues to survive the 5s it takes for your heal to recharge.

Maybe try changing your playstyle away from the poor habits that purification promoted previously, of waiting until you are basically 5% life before healing. I have seen WAY too many DH repeat this pattern, and it doesn’t work on most other classes.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

As a revenant main, I apologize for your heal trap being 0.25s slower to activate. It must be hard to be a dragonhunter now. You should reroll to Revenant.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

You also have focus block or shield healing, you have healing from your medis, and you still have your vitues to survive the 5s it takes for your heal to recharge.

Maybe try changing your playstyle away from the poor habits that purification promoted previously, of waiting until you are basically 5% life before healing. I have seen WAY too many DH repeat this pattern, and it doesn’t work on most other classes.

I heal before I get bursted down, that’s what I said in the original post. I’m referring to when after the Virtues gets used, we’re reliant on the heal procing. Our sustains have always been one of the worse in the game next to Thief, Mesmer(they can peel) and Necro(we don’t perform as well in AoE). Again, we don’t recover as well when we miss the heal because everything else is on a high cd.

I’m all for making DH more difficult to use and I really hope i’m over exaggerating. I feel the changes to DH was a bigger nerf than preferred in the spots it didn’t need. Mostly hurtful in the higher leagues rather than Unranked play.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

The best Thing they could have done in my opinion:

Remove daze from Piercing Light, remove base buffs from traps, put buffs in Piercing Light.

If the healtrap would still have daze instead of blind it would be okay.
Thing is, i’ve seen people say they need the daze chain in order to be effective:
That’s not a good argument, if anything it shows how bad the balance is in general.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

The cast time increase is noticeable and upsetting, but it’s not the end of the world.

I’ll throw this out there – use Purification when at about half hp (9-10k hp). One of two things happens usually:

1. (More often than not), you get off purification, opponent is dazed/blinded, you’re now at full hp —→ proceed to burst/dps, or retreat if you’re being focused.
2. Get interrupted --→ Great, they took the bait —→ stun break + f2 as heal instead, shoot off a trueshot, or blind/cc them and turn the tables. heal is on interrupt-cd again --→ use it (if they’re still on the offensive, use it in conjunction with f3, a blind, or focus 5).

Still pretty unfavorable compared to pre-patch, but we’re going to have to make do with it. I’ll say this though: 0.75s isn’t as bad as you would think if you get a bit creative with using it rather than making it a panic heal. Honestly, the situations in which you really get locked down (repeatedly CCed every time its on cd) are situations which you would have definitely experienced pre-patch given the same players. These are the smart players who read you and have their fingers on the cc-trigger before you even begin casting – thief w/ steal on cd, mesmer with at least 1 clone up (or next to you), rev on staff, waiting in front of you. Recognize these cues, play around them and you’ll avoid getting cced on that heal in most cases.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

This is a pretty good change tbh. While guardian’s don’t have a great spot in top-tier play by any means before this patch (who knows, maybe it’ll change soon), this is good overall given the current faceroll of guardian at the moment. An effective minor change to traps is good.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

OriOri.8724

I still cannot believe that you cannot get off a .75 sec cast time heal. This is strictly a L2P issue for you man.

And honestly, if you have to use stab to get it off, well a lot of classes don’t even have easy access to it (and more of them only have access by taking a traitline that is pretty horrible for PvP period), so boo hoo. No one who plays other classes feels sorry that you now have to worry about this, as we’ve had to deal with it already and it is honestly not the end of the world

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

I understand that Rank Queue isn’t filled with pro league players. It’s a random kittenfest in there where players don’t know how to focus target appropriately but in the proleagues players will take advantage of this.

Still one of the best heal skills ingame. Guard is one of the best classes at protecting casts, and the heal itself is broken af. Insane healing, and aoe soft and hard CC in a low cd lol. How is this heal more susceptible to get interrupted than other crap heals other classes have as main healing?

M I L K B O I S

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Om Im.7863

Om Im.7863

Ether Renewal, Signet of Restoration, Arcane Brilliance, “Wash the pain away!”, Consume Conditions, Signet of Vampirism, Well of blood, “Your soul is mine!”, “We heal as one!”, Troll Unguent, “Receive the Light!”, Signet of Resolve, Skelk Venom, Hide in Shadows, Channelled Vigor, (nerfed) Healing Turret, Elixir H, A.E.D., Ether Feast, Mantras, Signet of Ether, Empowering Misery say hi.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

OriOri.8724

Still one of the best heal skills ingame. Guard is one of the best classes at protecting casts, and the heal itself is broken af. Insane healing, and aoe soft and hard CC in a low cd lol. How is this heal more susceptible to get interrupted than other crap heals other classes have as main healing?

Its not. He is just upset because now playing his DH requires 1% less brainlessness.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

Rev heal also got nerfed, the upkeep cost is now 2 in PvP, so there is more energy conflict if you want to keep it up along with anything else. But not keeping it up can be bad…if you think 0.75 is slow, try a class where you have to activate your heal skill twice (usually while being CCed, etc).

This along with the fact that natural resonance has the same upkeep cost but less effectiveness.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Struct.7453

Struct.7453

But can I faint Purification like I can faint Ray of Judgment. I better hope so or else I will be totally upset. I will try it out later.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Brahnan.1026

Brahnan.1026

I’m weeping tears of sorrow for your still OP class.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

I’m weeping tears of sorrow for your still OP class.

DH was never OP, just faceroll in Amber leagues…something that should have been looked at but wasn’t.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

DH changes were healthy for the game and don’t break the class like Revenant ED issues…

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

DH changes were healthy for the game and don’t break the class like Revenant ED issues…

Rev changes didn’t break the class at all. He’s still top 3 picks over War, DH, & Thief.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

These changes ,change the class a lot.
Before you had to spam traps and blocks and heal,now you heal .25 seconds later.
It’s unplayable.
I’m deleting my DH right now.
No use for it in PvP.
Only in starter PvE zones.
All is vain.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

DH is still very playable. it’s fair that a monster 10k heal has some counterplay.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Best thing they can do is remove the traps from the game, remove the elite skills from the game. think proper elite specs, rework old skills and bring it back. But as this is a far fetched dream, only thing they can do is nerf/buff play.

DH is not a good elite. I play it, i love it but it is not as effective as others. Blocks can be penetrated, conditions can be reapplied. Due to its low hp, guardian is already a shaky choice for hardcore games. DH is just a shaky choice with a bow and some burst damage from traps (which can be easily avoided).

Piercing light nerf was ok in my opinion. This game needs less CC’s, less aoe’s, and less power creep. And they are trying to focus on base guardian traits and skills. That is nice. They should do it for every profession. But with these survivability nerfs, they should either give speed bonus, or properly adjust traits so that shout’s can be used well.

No profession should be forced to play 1-2 builds to be effective.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

. Regardless which is used, it means we have to waste a very situational utility just to pull off a heal.

Welcome to healing as a Mesmer since release. I guess it’s time to upskill.

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

1. a 0.25 increase in cast time is almost nothing. DH has a ridiculous amount of mitigation to the point where you can almost always use a skill to ensure the cast in the rare event you actually have to worry about an interrupt (more on this in point #2). i’ve disproven the myth that DH’s have limited sustain that renders them weak once all used simply by pointing to every source of sustain and how you can easily cycle them without even thinking about it.

Purification was and arguably still is a HUGE issue considering the actual healing wasn’t touched at all, you’re still getting a 9-10k heal on a profession that has roughly 16-18k in healing from other sources.

for the last time, if you can justify why Purification is literally 2 times better than Shelter on a 4 second shorter CD, i’d be very impressed.

2. Hunter’s Determination was just dumb and made landing CC on DH’s usually more punishing than rewarding, assuming they didn’t already block, invuln, blind, cc you.

3. Test of Faith STILL doesn’t have a cast time. this is by far one of the dumbest things about DH and it went completely untouched. there’s a clear precedent of nerfing skills that unintentionally act as a “get out of jail free” card when you’re CC’d; look at Thief’s Infiltrator Strike and Scrapper’s Sneak Gyro. how is this double standard okay?

you then go on in your spoiler to try and justify how half of the game is just expected to deal with DH being completely faceroll against their profession by saying “the 3 strongest professions in the game can beat mine, so that means i’m in the right.” and you can’t even bring yourself to say that it’s anything more than a “soft-counter”; even worse is the fact that the 3 professions that “soft-counter” you got considerably nerfed while you got the smallest nerfs possible.

entitled, entitled, entitled.

edit: also forgot, one-handed weapon damage was completely untouched and you even said many times over that this was necessary.

(edited by sinject.4607)

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

dude the build in your description literally has more dodges than it can use if it permanently dodged xD
talk about skillless builds

Darek.1836

Why DH Changes were Bad

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

It always seem to be a thf that whines the most about dh needing a nerf.