Why Did They Remove Settler Again?

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

i seem to be missing something…why did they remove this ammy? as far as i can recall, this ammy was only used for niche bunker ranger specs, which werent even that strong. now as im raking my brain, trying to make a core ranger spec work, im becoming frustrated with the lack of condi + heal stats. was anything OP with settler?

in PvP

Posted by: Gizmorage.6412

Gizmorage.6412

Settler druid was a boring bunker spec and was terrible for the pace of pvp, that might be why.

“Trust me, i’m a medic”

in PvP

mistsim.2748

right before i left (last october), wasnt everyone playing cele druid? then they removed both cele and settler at the same time.

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

It’s weird they remove that and then go ahead and add things like Mercenary.

I think the whole pvp amulet stat system could do with another overhaul, including normalising 3 and 4 stat amulets and providing more customisation either via jewels or something new.

in PvP

mistsim.2748

It’s weird they remove that and then go ahead and add things like Mercenary.

I think the whole pvp amulet stat system could do with another overhaul, including normalising 3 and 4 stat amulets and providing more customisation either via jewels or something new.

+1. patch after patch, i cant help but feel the devs are completely lost, and have no vision.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

right before i left (last october), wasnt everyone playing cele druid? then they removed both cele and settler at the same time.

Yeah, I am getting frustrated with lack of healing stat amulets as well

I was using celestial in S1 (pure love) but I think there was some sort of celestial bunker that used settler and was just as hard as bunker mesmer to get rid of. I would really like to see the following:

For Shortbow:
1050 Healing
1050 Condition
560 Precision
560 Toughness

1050 Condition
1050 Precision
560 Toughness
560 Healing

For GS
1050 Power
1050 Ferocity
560 Healing
560 Toughness

For LB
1050 Healing
1050 Power
560 Precision
560 Ferocity

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

It would have been OP with new specs…

A settler ranger was already a nuisance, being able to be tanky, high condi pressure and with good heal bursts… Now imagine that on a Druid, who has a staff.

A burn Settler Elementalist was also strong in the right hands, imagine that with Tempest and Auras heal with Fire Aura spam.

It was also useful on an inspiration Mesmer, AoE heals, condi application, high toughness….

I used settler a lot before HoT.
Settler offered too much to some classes, it gave survivability, high toughness, hard condi application and because of the heals was also very effective in team fights.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

ANet removed a bunch of amulets because they mistakenly thought “too tanky” amulets created the bunker meta of season1. In reality it was too tanky HoT specs.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

imagine mesmer with settler

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Hi

I would like this one :-)

1050 Healing
1050 Condition
560 Precision
560 Toughness

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

I miss settlers amulet too for my ranger, I feel ya.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

imagine mesmer with settler

When the celestial build became META.

I did tried Sentinel, Crusader, Settlers and Soldier.

Soldier was the best for damage and survivability.

In June 2015, condi carrion mesmer where having a good timed. After my own amy test, I did prefer Rabid because the crits give more pressure with both sigil of generosity to counter burn guard (the best condi burst of that era).

All in all, Settlers was not the best for damage+sustain for those builds.

Actually, the most OP Settlers build was Trap Ranger in Summer 2015. Ask Ryan (shadow shooter) for why it was.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Cleric is:

900 Power
900 Thougness
1200 healing power

A real contender for the condi slot would be:

900 condition
900 thoughness
1200 healing power

They did removed it from the game (Settlers).

condi > power (without ferocity or precision).

So, they could not go to 900 condition + 900 toughness… so to get a new four stats, it would be more (to balance with Cleric) something like:

+1050 Toughness
+1050 Healing
+560 power
+560 Condition

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Cleric is:

900 Power
900 Thougness
1200 healing power

A real contender for the condi slot would be:

900 condition
900 thoughness
1200 healing power

They did removed it from the game (Settlers).

condi > power (without ferocity or precision).

So, they could not go to 900 condition + 900 toughness… so to get a new four stats, it would be more (to balance with Cleric) something like:

+1050 Toughness
+1050 Healing
+560 power
+560 Condition

Except that they stated they would never put 2 defensive stats in the 1050 range, because it would be too tanky with HoT specs.

It would have to be something like:
1050 Healing
1050 Condition
560 Power
560 Toughness

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

The problem with ANYTHING involving defensive stats and condi is that unlike power you only need to invest in condition damage to do effective damage. With power builds, a combination of power, ferocity, and precision is needed. The occasional condi trait and sigil benefits from precision, but it’s rarely a must have.

Amulets like Settler allowed for some builds to both be tanky and deal decent damage. While Mercenary is semi similar, not having healing as a stat at least limits its ability to also be highly supportive, it also has no precision or ferocity so the power stat is just more of a side benefit than anything.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

The problem with ANYTHING involving defensive stats and condi is that unlike power you only need to invest in condition damage to do effective damage. With power builds, a combination of power, ferocity, and precision is needed. The occasional condi trait and sigil benefits from precision, but it’s rarely a must have.

Amulets like Settler allowed for some builds to both be tanky and deal decent damage. While Mercenary is semi similar, not having healing as a stat at least limits its ability to also be highly supportive, it also has no precision or ferocity so the power stat is just more of a side benefit than anything.

This is actually only half true.

Some condition builds need precision.

Some also need condi duration to be really effective.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Settler and other tanky condi amulets were never a big problem. In the past the meta was dominated by cele and power amulets. Settler was rarely used. And those few settler builds (shoutbow war, condi ranger to a lesser extent) were mostly support/bunker builds. No settler build was used for its dmg. Cele and marauder/zerk were (are) much better in this regard.
The reason, why condi bunker wasn’t op is, that defensive stats alone doesn’t make a good bunker and for high condi output most classes have to give up defensive skills or traits. With the powercreep from HoT, it is now easier to have high survability and high dmg, for both condi and power builds. It is a class balance issue, not an amulet issue. But of course removing amulets is an easier “solution”.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Amulets are nothing but a symptom of problems elsewhere. For example Celestial amulet. The only reason this amulet was a problem is because of how op condition damage and buff stacking is. They can’t balance there game correctly so to compensate for that they try to restrict certain stat combinations. It’s sad and they should be embarrassed because as I’ve said many times I’ve played a lot of MMORPGs and this has the worst balance easily and its not surprising as they involve the player base in there decisions less then anyone I can remember of any game that started out pay to play and of course no public test server.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

mistsim.2748

^ indeed. they could have solved the cele problem by more heavily nerfing might stacking. so for example, they should have analyzed the builds that worked with cele, and made it impossible to stack more than, say, 10-12 might on all of them. instead, cele builds could maintain 25 stacks by facerolling an easy combo. and they made us play this garbage for 2 years. the blunders of the balance devs in this game are endless. and they continue. they dont have a vision for their game, and when they do act they do so without deep understanding.

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Nah not fully agreeing. The removal of the celestial amulet was a good thing. First of all, the total stats the cele amulet delivered were higher than other amulets. Second, and more important, is the fact that the cele amulet allowed certain professions to become a ‘’can-do-it-all’’ class in PvP. It turned out that these can-do-it-all classes performed the best, for example dd-Elementalist. They had good survivability, good mobility, good support, good offense, etc.

It caused the merge of different professions into more or less the same role, and that was quite bad an extremely boring. I found the removal of for example soldiers or settlers amulet way worse.

in PvP

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

It’s just sad that they went downhill from cele dd ele times… That took some combinations and coordination with skills… Now the auto stability farting, might for free via traits : herald, scrapper and the free defence, heal or sustain boosts in especs (DH, scrapper, druid).

Back on point, settlers and a bunch of other amulets were all removed due to them being too defensive, as everyone hates the bunker meta, as I mentioned, the elite specs provide too much free sustain, but don’t cut the damage much at all (except Tempest which is pure defence and support).

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows