Why Guild Wars 2 Leagues Failed

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Again for those who want a shorter"ish" summed up version, ill post that below.

1- No Solo Q - This is the single most important reason why the majority of people find the new pvp leagues to be nothing more than a shiny new emblem above your name and nothing more. It is vital to seperate the solo q players from those who play in a 5 man premade team. It’s frustrating for those quing solo, it’s unprofessional in terms of a league setting, and it’s unrewarding for those in groups looking for a competitive game.

I feel it should also be noted that there should be a individual league rating for solo q players and team arena players. Because it kinda defeats the purpose of having solo q in the first place if there is nothing to work towards as with ranked arena.

2 – Grinding > Player Consistency - As of right now the current implementation of pvp leagues is nothing more than a grind fest. And on top of that the most important part in my opinion is you should be bumped down into a lesser division if you don’t perform well. So lets say you just now make it to ruby for example. Ruby is an above average division, and as soon as you do, you lose 20 games in a row. But even after going through the worst lose streak of your life, you’re still in the ruby division……why?

You should be punished for your bad play, and by doing so it gives more legitimacy to the actual divisions. The higher up you go in terms of divisions, the more consistent the player, therefore by doing it this way your system would actually be able to differentiate the between the beginner, intermediate, and top tier players based on division. But instead you chose to make it a forgiving, non challenging grindfest against solo q players, which is accomplishing nothing more than kittening off the majority of your player base.

Edit: The only middle ground I’d be willing to accept is that you wouldn’t be able to be knocked below division 3, which is sapphire. However if you made it to division 4 and played poorly, you’d be bumped back into division 3. Anything after division 3 is based solely on consistency.

3 – Guilds And PvP Teams Need To Be a Seperate Feature - I don’t really understand why a pvp team isn’t some feature that’s only available in heart of the mists for people that wish to compete in the league system. I find the system extremely unorganized and clunky. I just kinda wish the ui was seperate from the guild feature, which really has no business being there in the first place.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for watching/reading

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I agree with your points.

in PvP

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

I gave league a chance but after today im just done. Im a soloq or duoq most of the time and 80% of the time i have to face 4man-5man premades. The advantage teams have cant be ignored. They have better communication to mention one thing only which is an incredible advantage. Im srsly so dissapointed in the man who takes the final desicions in pvp. I dont understand how you think no soloq is ok and soloq being free wins to premades.

This game isnt a game for solo players anymore. Anet you might as well change the enter requirements in ranked to 5man because thats how redicilous pvp has become. GW1 was alot better because in heroes ascent you actually had to make a 8man before you entered, or random arena which worked like soloq. You rly had the best pvp in gw1. Gw2 is a frikkin joke in the pvp area. Get your kittenz together anet. I already stopped playing pvp earlier for like 6 months, i might as well quit alltogether. This game is just unplayable for soloq and the amount of teams you are FORCED to face is redicilous.

in PvP

Posted by: Harvey.7820

Harvey.7820

How about the core issue?

Class imbalance

How many Esports would be Esports if there was this amount of imbalance? Would LoL be fun to watch if every team stacked the same exact champion? There’s a reason only 1 champion can appear in a match. So that of the same champions dont show up on each side like you’re seeing with the current “meta” builds in GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

i agree with 1 but not the other 2.

Solo que for this league would of been awesome especially for the casual player.

2- the league system you are talking about doesnt work either. My 3 man team qued up and we had 2 players who couldnt win there fights off point and kept going for lord at 100 and 210. Im suppose to lose tiers/divisions/pips because we have 2 players on our team who literally can not do anything?

If you want a league like this where wins gain ranks. Then MMR needed to be flat lined for everyone so. For the first few 2 weeks of the season complete new people should of been facing pro players until those players next to the next division. You are simply talking about the streaks needed to either get to a higher division and the current inability to lose a division. You also said you dont que unless with a 5 man premade, so your in sapphire near ruby and me and my fellow amber solo que players beat your 5 man team. Are we really amber or simply the divisions truly mean nothing?

A better explanation about how you would like to see the whole system would of been better.

your 3rd point needs alot more explaining from what you want this feature to do. Obviously creating a new team to get faster que times against easier opponents is lame but have guild teams fight premade teams is the idea. Anet just poorly executed everything about leagues. The feature itself isnt bad but simply not working the way it should.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Class imbalance

shhhh ….
Introducing ‘’Noobtube weapons ’’ is a way for newer teams can have a chance to win vs old players (with their class/specs they are comfitable and using most of the time)
+ help the sales .
And miraculus it worked -_-

1:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitZRLt2G3w

in PvP

Posted by: Anonymous Player.3079

Anonymous Player.3079

Since lunch of gw2 anet didn’t give a XXX to pvp.
Farm rank in private arena, joke balance (oh wait once or two a year ?)
Soloq mixed with teamq/guild
The pvp on gw1 was really good, on gw2 it’s just a pure fail and this league is just another clear demonstration
Special thing for devs : your MMR algo can’t and will never work, skill of player 1+2+3+4+5 will never give you a real team skill. Exp of player 1+2+3+4+5 will never give you the exp of team ! Individual <> group

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Class imbalance

shhhh ….
Introducing ‘’Noobtube weapons ’’ is a way for newer teams can have a chance to win vs old players (with their class/specs they are comfitable and using most of the time)
+ help the sales .

But wouldn’t dragonhunter but our equivalent of the noobtube?

“You should be punished for your bad play, and by doing so it gives more legitimacy to the actual divisions.”

I disagree because if you make it to ruby in the first pace it says you’re good enough to reach it. A serious unlucky streak shouldn’t hurt you since you could be the victim of the MMR algorithm and tankers.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

in PvP

Trigr.6481

Class imbalance

shhhh ….
+ help the sales .

But wouldn’t dragonhunter but our equivalent of the noobtube?

“You should be punished for your bad play, and by doing so it gives more legitimacy to the actual divisions.”

I disagree because if you make it to ruby in the first pace it says you’re good enough to reach it. A serious unlucky streak shouldn’t hurt you since you could be the victim of the MMR algorithm and tankers.

So you’re basing your argument based off a terrible mmr? So what if the system worked?

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

I love the idea of leagues and totally agree that soloq players are getting the short end of the stick. I think the biggest problem is the pip system itself and how pips are rewarded and taken away. There is supposed to be logic to it, but I feel we need to see that logic up front so we know what we’re getting into when we start a match.

in PvP

Posted by: geekilo.8512

geekilo.8512

Yeah, i agree, i don’t even play pvp unless i have a team… really kill pvp for me

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

I love the idea of leagues and totally agree that soloq players are getting the short end of the stick. I think the biggest problem is the pip system itself and how pips are rewarded and taken away. There is supposed to be logic to it, but I feel we need to see that logic up front so we know what we’re getting into when we start a match.

I think the league system would of been fine had they from the start base everything off of division.

For instance the first week new players would be facing elite players till they get to the next division. Premade players who rush to emerald and sapphire would only seen each other until. other players got there.

Another big thing is diamond players teaming up with embers to face weaker opponents. This should of never happened as the league should be playing to the top league player. So if you have 1 diamond 3 sapphires and a ember that team should face all rubys or 3 rubys a sapphire and a diamond.

The losing of of pips/tiers and the suggested of losing tiers when people are posting pics of solo ques facing full abjured, full pz, full car crash, full ORNG is not a place we should be heading. Being that this league is only in place for 2 months the question becomes what kind of reward system do we want on the PiP system.

Obviously we are not gonna get another MMR based leader board and we should be rewarding players who play the game. Therefore if we are gonna have a “REAL” pro league it has to be fair for everyone from the start.

(edited by kdaddy.5431)

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

Well I definitely agree about Solo Queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Ninski.5680

Ninski.5680

Class imbalance

How many Esports would be Esports if there was this amount of imbalance? Would LoL be fun to watch if every team stacked the same exact champion? There’s a reason only 1 champion can appear in a match. So that of the same champions dont show up on each side like you’re seeing with the current “meta” builds in GW2.

I feel like releasing PvP Leagues before a major class balance patch was just Arena net rushing content out to give players something new to do in PvP. As a result it failed miserably.

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

In a perfect scenario, there should be no distinction between solo and team que. Queing in team should give you small boost toward victories – that’s fair.

However, in GW2, team communication system is below tragic level, and grouping up gives too big bonus. There is a need for at least pings with sounds.

Also, when you team up, you know who you are playing with, and what they are capable of. Playing solo, you have no idea who your teammates are, even what build they use. Total chaos.

Of course, these issues are here pretty much since the game’s launch. They are so visible recently, because the huge balance issues. If the game is balanced, but there are still communication issues, it’s playable.
Now, it’s unplayable.

Signed, level 1 alt

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Solo/duo queue would have solved a lot of problems with leagues in my opinion.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

No solo queue because it’s another test season elegiggle xDDDD

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

I agree with your points. I don’t know why anet named this system “leagues”, those are not real leagues but a grind fest, in a real league system you advance or drop to a different division, I don’t like the idea of staying forever in a division if you lost all your games, then what is the point of a league system? Can somebody tell me what is the point of having a league system. Gw2 is the most disappointed mmo for me when it comes to PvP from launch all the way to the league system it has been about grinding and no real PvP progression system. There is no real progression in this game compared to other real PvP games. Rocket league got their league system right an indie game and yet anet can’t get anything right even after 3 years, anet as a company should be ashamed, they have no love for this game, I can name some development companies who really care about the gamers, anet only cares about the gem store.

(edited by tico.9814)

in PvP

Trigr.6481

No solo queue because it’s another test season elegiggle xDDDD

Just like with the mmr for the 10th time.

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

I think the league system would of been fine had they from the start base everything off of division.

For instance the first week new players would be facing elite players till they get to the next division. Premade players who rush to emerald and sapphire would only seen each other until. other players got there.

Another big thing is diamond players teaming up with embers to face weaker opponents. This should of never happened as the league should be playing to the top league player. So if you have 1 diamond 3 sapphires and a ember that team should face all rubys or 3 rubys a sapphire and a diamond.

The losing of of pips/tiers and the suggested of losing tiers when people are posting pics of solo ques facing full abjured, full pz, full car crash, full ORNG is not a place we should be heading. Being that this league is only in place for 2 months the question becomes what kind of reward system do we want on the PiP system.

Obviously we are not gonna get another MMR based leader board and we should be rewarding players who play the game. Therefore if we are gonna have a “REAL” pro league it has to be fair for everyone from the start.

I agree resetting MMR would have been amazing, but Anet doesn’t seem want to do that.

I hoping some type of hotfix might implemented with the Wintersday update. I’m doubtful, but there is plenty of evidence that they have a framework, but it still needs tweaking. Even if they added the information that the last On Point said was already in the system about what scores people need to not lose a pip. That would at least curb my frustration and give me an idea of what the system is expecting of me.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

2 – Grinding > Player Consistency - As of right now the current implementation of pvp leagues is nothing more than a grind fest. And on top of that the most important part in my opinion is you should be bumped down into a lesser division if you don’t perform well. So lets say you just now make it to ruby for example. Ruby is an above division, and as soon as you do, you lose 20 games in a row. But even after going through the worst lose streak of your life, you’re still in the ruby division……why?

You should be punished for your bad play, and by doing so it gives more legitimacy to the actual divisions. The higher up you go in terms of divisions, the more consistent the player, therefore by doing it this way your system would actually be able to differentiate the between the beginner, intermediate, and top tier players based on division. But instead you chose to make it a forgiving, non challenging grindfest against solo q players, which is accomplishing nothing more than kittening off the majority of your player base.

Countless

We aren’t all bunker mesmers here so sometimes we have a bad day so I don’t whole heartedly agree with this one. Perhaps instead, there should simply be more tiers.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Trigr.6481

2 – Grinding > Player Consistency - As of right now the current implementation of pvp leagues is nothing more than a grind fest. And on top of that the most important part in my opinion is you should be bumped down into a lesser division if you don’t perform well. So lets say you just now make it to ruby for example. Ruby is an above division, and as soon as you do, you lose 20 games in a row. But even after going through the worst lose streak of your life, you’re still in the ruby division……why?

Countless

We aren’t all bunker mesmers here so sometimes we have a bad day so I don’t whole heartedly agree with this one. Perhaps instead, there should simply be more tiers.

Using bunker mesmer as your argument isn’t going to get you very far in this particular topic. The only thing I could think of when it comes to the grindfest is that you can’t drop below say division 3 for example which is sapphire, but I think you should drop from division 4 to 3 if you don’t play consistently.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Rap Tiger.1257

Rap Tiger.1257

If you win against premade team, you get 2 points higher, this is the incentive that the system has for those facing premade team.

in PvP

Trigr.6481

If you win against premade team, you get 2 points higher, this is the incentive that the system has for those facing premade team.

Lol, that’s a terrible incentive. And even worse that you’re reinforcing garbage. That’s like saying that your mechanic will give you a free oil change if you’re able to make it up to the shop, but you first must drain all the oil out of your car prior. Good luck.

TLDR: Nobody likes the carrot on a stick incentive

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Besides that you’re put on a team where you need to carry eventually while everyone on the other team knows what to do. Everyone always does predictable stuff, home then mid usually. Discuss tactics and call out targets.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

My boy Countless Well done.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

I agree resetting MMR would have been amazing, but Anet doesn’t seem want to do that.

I hoping some type of hotfix might implemented with the Wintersday update. I’m doubtful, but there is plenty of evidence that they have a framework, but it still needs tweaking. Even if they added the information that the last On Point said was already in the system about what scores people need to not lose a pip. That would at least curb my frustration and give me an idea of what the system is expecting of me.

agreed

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I agree with your points OP. Another thing that is baffling is Why are people who have already qualified for the tournament playing in the qualifier? This is akin to Tiger Woods circa 2002 at the height of his powers playing in a U.S. Open qualifier when he already had a spot in the tournament. It makes zero sense.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

I agree with your points OP. Another thing that is baffling is Why are people who have already qualified for the tournament playing in the qualifier? This is akin to Tiger Woods circa 2002 at the height of his powers playing in a U.S. Open qualifier when he already had a spot in the tournament. It makes zero sense.

I agree 100%.

It’s like NBA stars go play street court basketball, toying and embarrassing people simply for enjoyment and zero challenge.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Arcade.8901

Arcade.8901

I agree 100%.

It’s like NBA stars go play street court basketball, toying and embarrassing people simply for enjoyment and zero challenge.

Nah, it’s more like NBA team fake their IDs to participate in kindergarten basketball championship when their enemies picked up randomly.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

I agree 100%.

Nah, it’s more like NBA team fake their IDs to participate in kindergarten basketball championship when their enemies picked up randomly.

So funny, true, sad all at the same time.. /laughcry

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO