Why I feel PvP in this game is annoying

in PvP

Posted by: Ackinbal.2617

Ackinbal.2617

I like to play PVP casually, and I like the PVE part of this game – nice and relaxing. However, pvp (mostly s-PVP) drives me crazy. I have played all the classes. It is overloaded with characters, pets, clones, stuns, slows, burst damage, chaos. There is much potential if the number of pets, clones, pet damage, stuns, burst damage are evened out or toned down quite a bit. At this point, however, it is disappointing.

in PvP

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

I actually really love sPVP. WvW is a little too involved with tons of crap going on at once (plus armor repairs), but I think sPVP is at a manageable level.

Are you getting attacked by 3+ players at once?

Hoopa doopa.

in PvP

Ackinbal.2617

I like it too, it’s just annoying. It’s hard to explain. I can play for hours and get irritated by all the annoyances. Love and hate I guess. I’d rather just love it if we could get rid of the annoyances. And yes, you are right, I get double and triple teamed a lot. Sometimes you can’t even see who stunned you right when you were about to heal yourself. It’s just annoying to be lost in the chaos when it could be much more enjoyable to track 1-2 targets, their moves, their ability uses and counter that. I don’t know, I think it could be much better.

(edited by Ackinbal.2617)

in PvP

Posted by: Fantom.9217

Fantom.9217

That’s why I spend most of my time ninjaing the point where the zerg isn’t at.

You get a lot of 1 on 1 battles that way.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Spvp is definately annoying.

The 8v8 means you’ll hardly ever get any good 1v1 or 2v2 fights, usually ends up one person getting zerged. I get zerged down way more than I’d like to, it’s one of the reasons I prefer Kyhlo since it’s easier to avoid getting zerged.

And by getting “zerged” I don’t mean an actual mass of players roaming around in a giant clump, that’s easy to see and avoid, but you normally get 3-4 players that just come from every angle and jump you whenever you start fighting.

On top of the fact that nearly everyone is rolling with easy mode class/builds, it can make you lose your sanity. At this point whenever I want to bother with Spvp I either need to do a very tanky/well rounded build that’s able to 1v2/1v3 or atleast escape 1v2/1v3’s or play a gimmicky long ranged glass cannon cheese build to mess around with.

I really need to get some people to play Tpvp with if I want to enjoy pvp lol.

in PvP

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

My only complaints about sPvP are the zerging and the skill spam. Of everything, however, skill spam is what really disappoints me the most. I get that we all want to maximize and win all the time, but it’s really an insult to Guild Wars 2 to see so many thieves who do nothing but spam Heartseeker, Pistol Whip, or Death Blossom.

However, it really amazes me to see so many rangers now who are just hitting Crossfire and walking around. There are warriors who do nothing but root and use Hundred Blades. That’s just not how GW2 was meant to be played. It’s meant to be played with skill synergies, group synergies, and doing more than roaming around for kills.

It really makes me sad to see that the game is pretty much being reduced to zerging, killing for points, and spamming skills or developing entire builds around a single skill. GW2 is so much deeper than that.

in PvP

Posted by: Laki.7160

Laki.7160

Agreed about never getting fair fights.

It’s really unfortunate — they based the game around having no healers, to make for even fights. In fact, they said themselves that some of the funnest/most dynamic PvP they experienced in Guild Wars 1 was when two teams without healers squared off in random arenas.

In Guild Wars 2, we never get to experience that, since in sPvP, fights are never evenly matched for numbers.

I would LOVE to see a 3v3 or 4v4 random arena format. I think that would shine.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

- remove healers
- put in crazy higher burst cooldowns than any other game WITH healers

OK LOL kitten /p>

However, it really amazes me to see so many rangers now who are just hitting Crossfire and walking around. There are warriors who do nothing but root and use Hundred Blades. That’s just not how GW2 was meant to be played. It’s meant to be played with skill synergies, group synergies, and doing more than roaming around for kills.

100% agree, this is what disgusts me about the game, no skill play is rewarded far too much, and its a rather big problem that arena net hasnt ever thought that people would roll all this easy mode crap, even after 1 month of release and 3 beta weekends.

Im not ever going back to WoW, but seriously guys, that games pvp makes this look like hello kitty island. I would never have thought arena net could come up with easier, more braindead pvp than WoW did, with higher burst and far more automatic damage by spamming various NPC’s. Really disappointed in the gameplay, i feel its casualized down to its very core.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in PvP

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

- remove healers

OK LOL kitten

100% agree, this is what disgusts me about the game, no skill play is rewarded far too much, and its a rather big problem that arena net hasnt ever thought that people would roll all this easy mode crap, even after 1 month of release and 3 beta weekends.

Im not ever going back to WoW, but seriously guys, that games pvp makes this look like hello kitty island. I would never have thought arena net could come up with easier, more braindead pvp than WoW did, with higher burst and far more automatic damage by spamming various NPC’s. Really disappointed in the gameplay, i feel its casualized down to its very core.

I guess dodging doesn’t exist huh?

And don’t give me crap about “I can only dodge twice, what good is that”. Dodge isn’t meant to be spammed, if you dodge intelligently, as in dodging bullsrush on a HB warrior, that warrior is pretty much screwed and you’ve won.

Any “One trick pony” build like HB warrior is easily broken by good players.

in PvP

Posted by: Candiru.5279

Candiru.5279

agree to OP concerning the number of clones, pets! further I agree that there is to much burst in this game…it reduces the skill of the fights in my opinion

in PvP

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

@Candiru … did you play a hunter in WoW on Darksorrow?

Apart from that: I play what is considered one of the weaker classes, and I don’t find it hard to survive … and I am a noob at my class still. People are just not utilizing fields or skills in general very well yet. There is a rather huge difference between 5vs5 and 8vs8 … I still don’t get why some try to engage in a fight 1vs5 and not just run. It even baffles me more when 4 ppl chase that 1 person and leave the base guarded by 1, who in turn gets jumped.

@Knote: I am a bit in the same boat as you … looking for a proper guild. But I find, that with a tanking/healing-build I can make a huge impact … and almost never die. That is not really a bad spot if you ask me.

in PvP

cainejw.7142

I guess dodging doesn’t exist huh?

And don’t give me crap about “I can only dodge twice, what good is that”. Dodge isn’t meant to be spammed, if you dodge intelligently, as in dodging bullsrush on a HB warrior, that warrior is pretty much screwed and you’ve won.

Any “One trick pony” build like HB warrior is easily broken by good players.

If you exist in a vacuum, you’ll always have dodging up to do this. Unfortunately, PvP doesn’t happen in a vacuum. You may spend your dodge rolls on the HS spammer and then get caught by a pistol whip that burns your stun breaker. Then comes the warrior and you have no way to get away.

The argument of L2P is an argument employed by someone that refuses to consider more than one variable in PVP.

in PvP

Poxxia.1547

@cainejw: … but if that happened, then it is a 3vs1 and perhaps you shouldn’t have engaged them? Or it could be, that your positioning was bad, or your team-mates are not backing you up … or you are not using your CC properly? I am not bashing you (or saying L2P), just saying, that even with the simplicity that quickness seems to promote, there are other possible solutions to getting out of a sticky situation apart from dodging..

(edited by Poxxia.1547)

in PvP

Knote.2904

@cainejw: … but if that happened, then it is a 3vs1 and perhaps you shouldn’t have engaged them?

With 8v8, it’s never you “engaging” them, it’s them “engaging” your butt hole.

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

There are two ways to play open sPvP. In the zerg or out of the zerg. In the zerg you will get many, many team fights although they will often be imbalanced in terms of numbers through some reason or another. Out of the zerg you will fight many, many 1v1 and 1v2 fights which are completely winnable. Perhaps many of you need to try moving out of the zerg?

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Knote.2904

There are two ways to play open sPvP. In the zerg or out of the zerg. In the zerg you will get many, many team fights although they will often be imbalanced in terms of numbers through some reason or another. Out of the zerg you will fight many, many 1v1 and 1v2 fights which are completely winnable. Perhaps many of you need to try moving out of the zerg?

You must not play much spvp then. Actual “zergs” are rare from my experience. But you still get “zerged”.

in PvP

Ayestes.1273

All I do is sPvP and tPvP, my highest level character isn’t even level 30 yet. In my experience people tend to collect together and run from point to point. It doesn’t always happen, but I’d personally see it as more rare to not have this zerging effect. Perhaps you have a different definition of a zerg in this game? I’d hate to be arguing definitions, as it’s a rather silly thing to do on an internet forum.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Knote.2904

Lol, what I’m trying to say is, actual “zergs”, as in, just a giant mass of people running around glued together are rare. I saw one today in Foefire, literally everyone sitting outside of the gates killing anyone who ran through, with a billion pets.

Usually, however, people are mostly spread out (but 8v8 in these maps there’s not much room) and with people dying, respawning, and running back out any time you find yourself in an even fight, within 10-20 seconds 1-3 people come flying at you from every direction and zerg you down.

Happens alot with my own teammates as well, I run off to cap a point and get into a 1v1, then 4 of my teammates come out of no where, zerg the poor guy down, and I run off to cap somewhere else irritated, we don’t need 5 people on a point. >=[

It’s not 100% of the time, but it happens enough to drive me crazy.

(edited by Knote.2904)

in PvP

Ayestes.1273

I’d consider a a zerg in sPvP to be a collection of 4 or more people moving together. I guess I don’t consider camping the spawn of an opponent a zerg. Oh well, moot point here, let’s move on.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

- remove healers

OK LOL kitten

Agree so much with this.

Lack of longer cooldown or more situational skills which need to be deployed judiciously (lack of skills in general). Positioning/los/team coordination is less critical than in other games. Player A must have los to heal player b, player a must be near player b to protect him or cc player on him, player a must cc, debuff for, or assist player b (lol assisting, this used to be soo crucial), team must chain longer cd defensive buffs and use offensive buffs at right times. I’m sure all this features to an extent, it just doesn’t make as much difference. Even LOS → the pets just follow you..

I’m sure dodging is a decent mechanic for a 1v1 (& actually it works fine for wvw also because it’s 100% that someone is aiming you if you are positioned a certain way) but in a group fight with a lot of pets etc clogging up things and multiple players it is quite hard to keep track of the animations of every player, you can only go by proximity. This is also a factor for pve in that the boss will be covered in so much animations from spell effects it’s hard to see a thing. Also the animations aren’t particularly obvious. Also.. asura animations… heal animations for different classes, some are unique, some look like other ability animations…plz just get rid of most cast times and interrupts for most abilities would at least be more fun and less clunky combat.

in PvP

Poxxia.1547

@Knote: Strange how you reply to the part not aimed for you, but not the part aimed at you, but whatever

Anyway: Nah … I don’t agree with that statement. Sure I can get annoyed with the mindless zerg which often does more harm than good really … in both ends. People are no really forced to improve by playing that way … that is perhaps the biggest harm of all.

That being said, you can do a LOT to avoid the zerg … communication is one. But I don’t think I have seen a game whee people are more silent unless it is for bashing someone.

No matter how good a game you build it can’t make up for peoples ignorance/egoisme. Yes, that is rather rude, but no communication, zero utilization of fields, deliberately running off in the arms of the respawning team, no positioning-awareness, glass-cannon-builds, builds without clear direction … these are some few of the abundance of flaws I see people still practicing. I am still a NOOB at this game, and yet I find so many people being a LOT worse than myself.

1 well playing person makes a lot difference on the map, even in a 8vs8. 2 playing together can defend rather well vs 4 or 5, at least in my experience.

in PvP

Posted by: pknight.9580

pknight.9580

I like to play PVP casually, and I like the PVE part of this game – nice and relaxing. However, pvp (mostly s-PVP) drives me crazy. I have played all the classes. It is overloaded with characters, pets, clones, stuns, slows, burst damage, chaos. There is much potential if the number of pets, clones, pet damage, stuns, burst damage are evened out or toned down quite a bit. At this point, however, it is disappointing.

actually i really enjoy it. i honestly feel you need to become better at spvp or pvp in general and learn to make judgement calls on the fly and understand how to attack specific classes.

in PvP

Posted by: Arsenica.2105

Arsenica.2105

so, there are a lot of lil topics here, so lets get started.
-unfair fights: really, is it reasonable that if i play 10 hot-join matches in a day, i dont get a single 1v1/1v2 in any of them?? maybe you can put like a lil buff or smthing, like if u 1v3, if they kill you they wont get 5 points but 3 or so, dunno, just suggesting. also, zerging around doesnt promote skill, i mean, i still see a lot of nabs, that root in place, but hey, they got the zerg with them, so no skill needed. but well,lately i barely get to hot-join pvp, usually i get into tpvp with my team
-combos: how can u expect ppl to do combos when they dont even talk they just zerg, combos are for pvp teams with voice comms (hehe, thats what makes us incredebly effective)
-just a matter of time…. i guess, maybe ppl needs more time to learn. im also quite frustrated bcuz, you see a lot of guardians/warrior/thiefs running around with the same build, cmon guys thats boring, think of something better, make you own builds!!

in PvP

Posted by: Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

@cainejw: … but if that happened, then it is a 3vs1 and perhaps you shouldn’t have engaged them? Or it could be, that your positioning was bad, or your team-mates are not backing you up … or you are not using your CC properly? I am not bashing you (or saying L2P), just saying, that even with the simplicity that quickness seems to promote, there are other possible solutions to getting out of a sticky situation apart from dodging..

When did hey say it was 1v3? It could have been 3v3, and that still would happen.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: pknight.9580

pknight.9580

if you are looking for real spvp do tournaments end of story none of this happens in tpvp

in PvP

Poxxia.1547

When did hey say it was 1v3? It could have been 3v3, and that still would happen.

“Or”? You completely missed the point.

in PvP

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

The lack of a DR system is my main complaint.

3 people jump on you chain knock downs, dazes, and stuns and you’ll drop 100% to 0% without having any opportunity to fight back. SWTOR had CC spam, but this game is ten times worse in that department.

It’s like that in PvE as well with getting chain knock backed without a chance to do anything but pray.

Also, having completely separate gear ruins it for me. I worked hard to get my “look” in the “PvE” world and I can walk into WvW with the same equipment.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in PvP

cainejw.7142

Poxxia, I am not new to gaming and PvP. I’m quite aware that I do not engage three people when alone. You may not be saying “L2P,” but you are insinuating that I do not have the experience and common sense to avoid imbalanced fights. I appreciate your attempt to blame me for the negatives of my criticisms, but that does nothing to address the actual problem as many people see it. The current problem with GW2 sPvP is that it encourages single-skill spam, single-skill builds, and zerging for kills instead of objectives.

sPvP, as it stands now, is about the individual of the teams, not working together as a team, using synergy, and complex tactics. It undermines the complexity of GW2 as a game, the skill system, and the attempt of sPvP to usher in a new era of PvP in gaming.

For the record, I do not engage teams of three. I attempt to run when they ambush me or engage me. However, I can only get so far even with all of my escape options used. The only variable on your list of “l2p-but-totally-not” that I can’t control is my team working together. However, as I just said, the system actually encourages them to think of themselves prior to objectives and teamwork. There are no points for working together, and the bonus for winning is actually quite small when you can swim in points by zerging.

in PvP

Poxxia.1547

@cainejw: For the record: No, I am not insinuating anything. I just don’t share your view nor your experience to the extend you paint. Sorry .. where you talking about me being patronizing or speaking in a degrading manner .. or making assumptions about you? Seems like someone lives in a glasshouse.

I have played GW1 (a lot even), and yes: I miss many things from that. But I see a LOT of silly-ness on daily basis, which I interpret as bad habbits from “that other game” … how am I supposed to know what kind of person you are, and what your experience you have from what you wrote? Tell me. I am again sorry if you feel offended; it is/was really just an attempt to be constructive … because, that is frankly not something people in general are on this forum. I see team-play as a very valid variable; it doesn’t even require voice-communication in many situations. It was really just an attempt to make you look at your own playstyle, and see if you could improve. I never stop looking for that myself.

I speak to a LOT of good players who don’t voice their opinion on this forum because they find the mob-mentality obnoxious , which brings me to:

Who are “the many people”? Which vote counts for most … the silent or the noisy ones?

Apart from that: I agree on the system promoting zerging and not capping … and that is wrong imo (talking 8vs8 here). And yes: you can gain too much using glass-cannon builds spamming 1 or 2 buttons, but I find that to as much a flaw in the way people specc as the speccs themselves (in other words: if you want to survive, specc for it). So far, the only profession where I have had issues surviving is necro … and I will gladly admit, I haven’t even reached the noob-stadium on that one, so that is most likely my own fault.

Thought: If we could watch some matches (like in GW1) maybe we could all learn a bit more about what works and what doesn’t.

in PvP

Posted by: ower.9143

ower.9143

lol fair fights. This isn’t a roflstomp, it’s team based objectives. 1v1 is rarely going to happen. Stop worrying about your kitten and learn to help your team win. I don’t know how many times I’ve stayed in a downed state while 3 of my teammates continued to fight right next to me. I very rarly see call outs or ask for help or anyone even using /team except to QQ about losing or about how everyone else sucks.

in PvP

Posted by: Asmodean.5820

Asmodean.5820

@Ower: “learn to help your team win..”

And there you are wrong. More and more people care a f* about winning in spvp. Roaming as a zerg butchering all unfortunate enough in your wake is more rewarding because you get more glory points.

It usually ends with the result that the “winners” (oh the irony) have about 180-210 points downwards and the “losers” 180-280 or even cross the 300 mark.

Last match I had 6!!! of the enemy team hunt me across the whole map. No joke.

Honestly, this game has design mistakes which weren’t even made when Blizzard introduced them into their game: in battlegrounds (at least when I played WoW, it was years ago) even pugs posted in chat when a base got attacked because people wanted to win. Have you seen that here?

And even when you defend it ends usually that way: you get one down but before you can finish him off another enemy joins the frey and you get a whole kittening nothing for 1. defending 2. and at least downing an enemy…however, the other 2 get rewarded with 15 points wohooooo

However, these design flaws go on. Here just one example: necro minions cannot be assigned to attack targets or go into passive and aggressive mode etc. Also things which were made better…in 2006.

(edited by Asmodean.5820)

in PvP

Poxxia.1547

@Asmodean: I find that to be a completely valid point: It is an issue, that it zerging pays off. And it is a problem, that kiting 6 ppl (and by doing so, handing the map to your team), doesn’t reward you in any way.
I am not sure it can be solved though, and I find it to be a problem mostly to do with ppl … not the game.

in PvP

Posted by: BobF.3509

BobF.3509

OP, get into tPvP. I refer to 8v8 as Nub League. No one is on voice comms, and yes, everyone generally runs around in a big group to farm glory. It’s a purely casual PvP mode, it serves no other purpose really than to facilitate the exact kind of play you describe.

Personally, I don’t find it annoying, I use it for my own purposes, to test builds, or just run around and mash faces.

If you’re looking for skilled play, 8v8 is not what you want to be doing. Find 4 other people on your friends list, and tPvP. THAT’s where the good fights occur.

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

@Gank LOL I think the same thing, remove healers but add more burst than I’ve ever seen in WoW, yes even more burst than Cata rogues with legendaries and vial.

So sad. WhatisANeteventhinking.jpg

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

in PvP

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

Im confused every pvp post seems like no one knows how to pvp lol

You have heals, you have conditions, you have condition removal. Build your character the way you personally can win in spvp. Im top of the team most the time. I can either run points or do 1v3’s so my team can cap points while i distract. Straight forward stuff.

in PvP

Posted by: BaPanda.4073

BaPanda.4073

I like how nobody ever mentions that PvP would be 100% more fun if we had private pvp. If we had dueling or private rooms, practicing with friends would be so much easier than finding a random room and hoping a random doesn’t come in.

I like Pvp right now, but not being able to practice in a private room with my guildmates is really ruining it for me. And I know that rent rooms were promised before this game was released.

in PvP

Posted by: Pizzel.8470

Pizzel.8470

I agree. The zergfest has gotten annoying. The thing that kept me going in Star wars was the 1v1s 1v2, 2v2s that we would get in at far points. Rarely happens here. You start those fights then the zerg comes. Very annoying.

Also tourneys aren’t much better. It’s just a bunch of Thief, mesmer, guardian teams and all the other cheesy crap. IDK this game needs some serious TLC to last. As of now there are A LOT of problems.

3570K @4.2 560 TI, 212 evo, Hyper X 128gb ssd Haf 912 Biostar tz77

in PvP

Ackinbal.2617

The ammount and frequency of stuns is appalling. Some classes and specs can chain stun you to death with no chance of retaliation. Examples include warrriors with hammer, guardian with hammer/mace and spirit weapons, thieves with pistol whip spam (each applies a 1.5 sec stun), mesmer have 2 stuns on a short cooldown, engineer with a rifle and turrets, elementalist with air spec etc. While I’ve played some of these specs and it is fun to knock down your target every 8 sec, it is annoying to be on the receiving end, and it does not have to be like this. Stuns should be an occasional surprise on a long CD, not a spam to death.
BTW, was this really necessary:
“Your thread title has been changed to “Why I feel PvP in this game is annoying” – please refrain from attempting to speak for everyone when making thread titles.”
Now Anet cannot even take criticism anymore without softening the punch? The original title was “PVP in this game is annoying as hell”, which is obviously just my opinion.
I know what’s wrong: this game is build around a one-time payment, no need to retain customers.

(edited by Ackinbal.2617)

in PvP

Knote.2904

@Knote: Strange how you reply to the part not aimed for you, but not the part aimed at you, but whatever

Anyway: Nah … I don’t agree with that statement. Sure I can get annoyed with the mindless zerg which often does more harm than good really … in both ends. People are no really forced to improve by playing that way … that is perhaps the biggest harm of all.

That being said, you can do a LOT to avoid the zerg … communication is one. But I don’t think I have seen a game whee people are more silent unless it is for bashing someone.

No matter how good a game you build it can’t make up for peoples ignorance/egoisme. Yes, that is rather rude, but no communication, zero utilization of fields, deliberately running off in the arms of the respawning team, no positioning-awareness, glass-cannon-builds, builds without clear direction … these are some few of the abundance of flaws I see people still practicing. I am still a NOOB at this game, and yet I find so many people being a LOT worse than myself.

1 well playing person makes a lot difference on the map, even in a 8vs8. 2 playing together can defend rather well vs 4 or 5, at least in my experience.

What are you talking about?

And again it’s not me willingly running into an actual group of 5 people, did you read what I typed??

in PvP

Posted by: Maif.7594

Maif.7594

I absolutely hate 8v8. Just zergs. Zergs everywhere. So I just queue for tournaments, solo or otherwise. Infinitely more enjoyable and I’d much rather see the random sPvP as 5v5 personally.

in PvP

Posted by: Masuras.9742

Masuras.9742

I feel like pvp is (at least Spvp and Tpvp) benefits Twitch-oriented players more than casuals. With the current system, bursty builds tend to be favored.

When you have a population that has either burst builds, , the middle ground of players will have to rely on their reflexes to avoid getting bursted down. But because of quickness and the simple execution of a chain of attacks, it’s hard for casuals to react in time.

Bunker builds are the direct opposite of burst builds, but again, the middleground of players will have trouble because the bunker will just tank the point until you die or his friends come by.

But back to the twitch-oriented gameplay..
I figure people preferred guild wars 1’s gameplay because it allowed people more time to react to an opponent’s moves. I don’t think the slower system is bad because good players will still triumph. But at least the casuals will have a fighting chance instead of dying in an instant and wondering what happened.

in PvP

Posted by: cobaltshadow.3751

cobaltshadow.3751

I don’t really care if people make a trendy class. The only time I ever run into a hard fight is a point defender Engineer, and thats always one hell of a fight. Every other class can be easily killed. I find it more annoying that people with the 100g commander marker running around in spvp with it turned on.