Why am I still getting blowout matches?

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

It’s a month into the season, MMR is as normalized/leveled out as it will ever be, I’m in high Ruby, why am I still getting over half of my matches winning or losing by more than 300 points?

For that matter, why am I getting soloQ players in my matches that are amber/sapphire, or Legendary? Both of those could not possibly be within any reasonable pip spread (more than 100 pips either way), and it’s highly unlikely either are remotely close to my MMR.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’ve never seen a matchmaker in any game that is able to prevent blowouts. It’s just a fact of PvP.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I feel you man. S4 match making is the pits

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Lucred.1802

I’ve never seen a matchmaker in any game that is able to prevent blowouts. It’s just a fact of PvP.

One once in a great while is fine. Sometimes even fun.

It’s literally every 5ish matches for me though. In the last 3 days I’ve had thirty matches won 500 to less than 100, and one that was 500-0 with no afk’ers (that was the one I ended up with 3 amber players in my team, full-soloQ, vs. a 4man premade of diamonds with one ruby soloQ, on Conquest).

If I wanted to play with a grab-bag of ranks and skills with no goal of winning I’d play unranked on Capricorn, not league.
*edit to say that I’m currently at about 30% of matches played being within 200 points. Everything else has been 500 to less than 300, and over half of my matches have been 500-<250

(edited by Lucred.1802)

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Yeah, every other game is complete trash. The games are bad, the pip progression system is bad, the class balance is bad. Every time you think sPvP can’t possibly be worse than the previous season…anet finds a way.

I’m fairly certain the PvP devs don’t actually play their own game.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I see blowouts all the time even with equally skilled teams. There are so many factors that play into a winning or losing strategy.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

They do but it’s always in premades (at least duos) as far as I’ve seen.

If they actually solo q’d they’d realize how bad S4 is and how frustrating it is carrying a bunch of people who don’t deserve anything above ~Sapphire.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Yeah! Now everyone is affected by bad MMR players.

It’s hard to carry those guyz in our game. It always was. Since 2012.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

If they actually solo q’d they’d realize how bad S4 is and how frustrating it is carrying a bunch of people who don’t deserve anything above ~Sapphire.

worddddddd

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

wait but the reason they change the MM into what we have now is prevent blowout from the cries of people

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

I think they gave up and just said “kitten it, this whole pip thing is a failure, we’re not even gonna try in S4.”

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

For me, S4 is the best of the last three seasons. Didn’t play S1, but I’ve heard stories. The matches on the whole are more engaging, and there are way fewer players throwing in the towel early on (and, as a result of that, some very interesting late-match comebacks). My win% appears to better reflect my skill level as I perceive it in relation to the people I play with/against.

Just my 2c. I know that there’s a wide range of what players experience, so I’m not saying this season is objectively better, by any means. I’d actually be surprised if there’s really all that much difference overall.

in PvP

Lucred.1802

For me, S4 is the best of the last three seasons. Didn’t play S1, but I’ve heard stories. The matches on the whole are more engaging, and there are way fewer players throwing in the towel early on (and, as a result of that, some very interesting late-match comebacks). My win% appears to better reflect my skill level as I perceive it in relation to the people I play with/against.

Just my 2c. I know that there’s a wide range of what players experience, so I’m not saying this season is objectively better, by any means. I’d actually be surprised if there’s really all that much difference overall.

I started very late last season (11 days remaining) and rode a 92% win rate to high Ruby as my first time ever in ranked (started the minute I hit rank 20 and could) and would’ve easily made Diamond if not Legendary if I’d had more time. Yes, I realize at that point most of the very good/pro-level players had had their titles for weeks and had quit and I was facing the last gasp groups.

Start in Emerald this season and start off with an 87 game losing streak. It took 3 weeks to get out of Emerald, then blew through Sapphire on an ~18 game win streak, then hit a 25 game losing streak in Ruby.

I’ve since gone from 1 win from Diamond to zero pips in Ruby on four separate occasions with 20+ game losing streaks. I have over 700 games played this season and am currently at about a 35% win rate. It seems that if I get in on a blowout match I will either continue to be stuck on the exact same team (if I’m on the losing team) or get transferred to the losing team (if I’m on the winning team). There’s no way my MMR is fluctuating that wildly match to match.

While I am seeing more D/C’s than last season (including some very intentional trolls who will D/C the second the gate opens and reconnect exactly at the 10 minute mark then yell “Ha, you missed me?” or similar) I’m seeing fewer intentional AFK’s. Most of the D/C’s are gone long enough I’m not losing pips over them at least. I’m currently at about a 20% rate for matches where a teammate DC’d >120 seconds, and around a 45% rate where someone on either team DC’s for any length of time. Whether this is a symptom of a broken game client or whether it’s intentional I really couldn’t say.

So…why am I having such major swings in wins/losses?
—class stacking
3 Guardians on a team in Conquest will win against a team similar in skill that doesn’t have either a comparable number of guardians or a comparable number of scrappers 99% of the time. Teams with 2 Ele’s in Stronghold will win 100% of the time, even if one or both of the ele’s is terribad, because that makes the doorbreakers almost impossible to kill without taking 3+ people and pretty much makes summoned heroes impossible to kill (in time) period. 3 thieves on a team is an almost guaranteed loss for that team. People are not willing to switch this season regardless of how unfavorable the comp is.
—an extremely wide range of ranks/pips/MMR in one match
I’ve seen Ambers in my matches as Ruby that are soloQ. I’ve had matches that had everything from an amber to a diamond in them all soloQ. I’m getting 3+ person Legendary premades going against me because Anet decided that 3 Legend+2 Amber=4 Ruby+1 Sapphire. I’m seeing pip spreads of over 100 on one team.

And I’m seeing the worst keyboard-turning, first-person-POV-using, mouse-clicking, window-licking people in Ruby and Diamond. There’s no way they belong there, there’s literally no way their MMR is high enough. And of course due to Murphy’s Law, they’re on my team more often than not.

tl;dr
Season 3 was good to me because noob with normalized MMR. Season 4 despite no changes on my end has been a nightmare.

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

The reason for playing vs the same people again and again while flip flopping from the winner to the loser is the probably because there just aren’t enough people playing anymore.

in PvP

Lucred.1802

The reason for playing vs the same people again and again while flip flopping from the winner to the loser is the probably because there just aren’t enough people playing anymore.

I’m not sure I believe that.

If I’m on a good team, I’ll never see those players ever again even if I do well in comparison and my MMR should go up almost identically to them.

If I’m on a bad team, I’ll be stuck with that bad team for the rest of the day and sometimes all of the next day.

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

I’ve started to experience the other side for the last couple days. Been getting the same bad players on my teams, and even a player who intentionally started throwing matches. I just decided to stop queuing when that happens in hopes that tomorrow will be better, but so far that’s not been the case. Maybe I’ve finally been marked to always be teamed up with kittenes. Not that I was necessarily cruising through divisions before, but win or lose, until recently the teams didn’t seem so consistently mismatched.

in PvP

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

yes, there is many factors but to what i see the #1 reason is players just giving up after a huge lead by enemy. this game or should i say pvp is very snowball friendly.

Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

yes, there is many factors but to what i see the #1 reason is players just giving up after a huge lead by enemy. this game or should i say pvp is very snowball friendly.

If there was a reward worth continuing to fight for despite a clear loss then that wouldn’t be an issue, but as it stands, there’s no reason to work that hard because pips are valueless, in addition div/rank ultimately is valueless. People just accept the loss, obtain loss, and get ready to grind out the next match; because in the current system you will reach diamond/leg simply by playing enough matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Agree x 100. I’ve comeback countless times from being down big. A match can quickly snowball one way or another.

I hate when people just give up, especially early on if they lose the mid fight. Or worse when they start cursing and yelling at each other in team chat. Just play the kitten game.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Agree x 100. I’ve comeback countless times from being down big. A match can quickly snowball one way or another.

I hate when people just give up, especially early on if they lose the mid fight. Or worse when they start cursing and yelling at each other in team chat. Just play the kitten game.

I think many players currently stopped playing.

Speaking from my own experiences. I’ve completely stopped playing after Season 3.
Why you ask? I’ll tell you why I stopped.

-I stopped because I couldn’t be asked to dedicate time to be apart of a team and deal with most of the hassle that comes with being on a GW2 sPvP team. More so those dramas in a super casual non competitive ranked league system.
- I stopped because the game punished me for refusing to deal with Pre Team Drama.
- I stopped playing because I found another sPvP game that was both solo player and team player friendly. On top of that my experience in that sPvP game was so good as a solo player, that I join a eSport clan as a trial member and is now a full member of said clan.
- I stopped playing because there was nothing to work for. Unless you desperately wanted that back piece. Something that I cared the least about even back in Season 1 when I was having fun putting in 5 to 8 hours in sPvP alone.
- The game mode after Season 1 ended just became a grind fest and a feeding fest for pre made teams that had voice comms. Which was not cool or fun to me atleast.
- I stopped playing because after Season 2 all my sPvP friends either stopped sPvPing or just completely stop playing GW2. Most of them haven’t logged on in months.
- Completely unbalanced classes and out of control condition damage. That forced me to adapting to a play style that was not really much fun for me.
- The last nail in the coffin for the relationship between me and GW2’s sPvP was the Forum Moderators. I don’t need and will not say any more about this point.

Those are just the reasons I stopped playing GW2’s sPvP mode. If there hope for a future with sPvP in GW2… maybe. Is it likely… I just don’t see at this point. Will I come back to sPvP in GW2 if things drastically improve…. highly highly likely, I just love looking at my GW2 characters fighting the good fight, which is half the fun for me in this game.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

If there was a reward worth continuing to fight for despite a clear loss then that wouldn’t be an issue, but as it stands, there’s no reason to work that hard because pips are valueless, in addition div/rank ultimately is valueless. People just accept the loss, obtain loss, and get ready to grind out the next match; because in the current system you will reach diamond/leg simply by playing enough matches.

sadly ANet implemented Season 1 style of MM without the S1 pip system people like. for those who doesnt know in season 1 if you play till the end and came close even if u lose there is a chance u wont lose pip or even gain 1, depends how high the MMR of your opponent team compare to yours. also if u manage to beat them u get 2-3 pips.

Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’m very close to losing hope after 17+ stompings tonight. I’m tired of logging off physically sick. There doesn’t seem to be any plan on the horizon to make pvp fun for non super gamers.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I have not bothered this year, missed season 1, got stomped season 2 my first match was a full soloq vs a guild team of about 4 members and I basically got stuck in amber all season and in 3 I managed to force myself into Emerald after a string of bad matches.

I am probably not the best pvper by far but at the very least I believe I should be in mid Sapphire and at most lower Ruby but I seem to always fight bigger pre mades, who always get the good class conbos and my team always seem to be non elite spec teams.

How did they manage to an amazing game and my main game into something so broken and that I avoid playing 95% of the time?

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

increase your skill. And learn second class, dh, ranger or engie to switch and win easy

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

I’m very close to losing hope after 17+ stompings tonight. I’m tired of logging off physically sick. There doesn’t seem to be any plan on the horizon to make pvp fun for non super gamers.

Wow you still attempt to play sPvP in this game? I’d figured you’d give up before me. Haha, fooled me. If you are logging off physically sick because of a video game that’s not going to put food on your table. Then you have some real issues IRL. Honestly tho it seems like you could really use a break from GW2’s sPvP. I heard Raids and Fractals now give decent interesting battles.

Myself, I am off playing other games. Thinking about giving up completely on the whole MMO genre. Atleast for the near foreseeable future. At the moment my gaming life is good. Not much gaming rage going on inside of me. As when I was playing GW2’s sPvP.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Morpeth.5318

Morpeth.5318

It’s a month into the season, MMR is as normalized/leveled out as it will ever be, I’m in high Ruby, why am I still getting over half of my matches winning or losing by more than 300 points?

For that matter, why am I getting soloQ players in my matches that are amber/sapphire, or Legendary? Both of those could not possibly be within any reasonable pip spread (more than 100 pips either way), and it’s highly unlikely either are remotely close to my MMR.

I’ve given up on PvP for now, the matchmaking system is so bad it’s making me HATE gw2, I mean HATE it. I’m just going to avoid pvp even if I don’t complete a daily because of it, it’s that frustrating to me. 10 losses in a row today… I’m used to a 50% win ratio, this is insane.

in PvP

Posted by: Morpeth.5318

Morpeth.5318

Yeah, I’ve had I don’t know how many losses in a row now, pvp matching is so broken it’s beyond laughable. I think they’ve fired all the developers and turned it over to 5 yr olds

in PvP

Posted by: MrPinks.2015

MrPinks.2015

i cant win a single match i got 27 straight loses

and i have no idea why
i have over 1k matches in pvp never had that experience before

and it feels that there is something unfair

i am not a bad player at all and i have plenty of experience in pvp but 27 matches loses? i only had 4 wins lol

in PvP

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Yeah I always win 500 – 100 or lose 100 – 500. I don’t mind the losing, the blowouts just make it clear that no matter how or what I play never makes a difference, I’m just being processed and spit out by the matchmaking machine. Winning doesn’t affirm my skills or make me excited, and losing doesn’t teach me anything. Pvp has become slots

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

To me it looks like people giving up on the matches is the main cause.

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

It’s a combination about how to identify the right player skill and profession/role.

MMR alone is not an amazing way to identify skill (Btw is not only a gw2 issue, is pretty spread among other games) because is only based on w/l and Your performance in Your team has only a 20% impact.

This 20% can be a little more with a teamspeak software and in a premade scenario but There are always other 4 players in Your team so you can do miracles unitil some threshold.

Another impactful thing is the team composition, the right balance about mobility/damage/fight solidity with the right role knowledge.

Both of them needs to be balanced and you can have a blowout game.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Factors that matter if match is blowout:

1.HOUR: System works that if you play during prime-time hour it has larger pool of people to find somebody to match your skill. If you play at middle of the night system has lower pool of players to find anything so it’s starts to search lower divisions
2.CLASS: Every season we got one class that’s seems to be easy-to-be-effective→easy-to-win. Matchmaking tires to at least don’t give you more than 2 of the same classes but it’s choked by horde of DH so it’ get’s crazy.
3.SCORES: Let’s say you where lucky and had really nice matches and you had more than 200 points on scoreboard. System thinks that you dramatically improved so starts to give let’s say… PRO-League players…After I left sapphire (with 8 wining streak and average 200 score’s) I discovered something is not right when I suddenly realized I am fighting Drazeh for my close and rest of his team is mix of Rawr and TCG. I am not good enough to compete with this guys and nobody from my team so basically we were punished by swift progress.
4. Last and not least TEAM COMPOSTIONS: some people fail to understand that some builds are made to have advantage over your class/build like this example: you have in you party 2 thiefs vs they have 3 DH…so yea gg if nobody cares to swap. In situations like this match will result with blowout.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Because they way algo works. You won too much? You get forced into losses, you lose to much – you get teams that will carry you. Devs can claim all the want (we got lied to many times by now anyway), but this is exactly how system works based on observation of thousands of games. Blow outs and no MMR reset before seasons are direct result of it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I remember when they said in a patch last league they had put a measure in place to prevent a team to have multiple classes. But I saw more duplicate classes than every before after it.

I am done with the game, Pre ordered and played during Beta, invested quite a large sum into the game but since HoT I have stopped buying things and putting that money towards other games id rather play.

They neglected other aspects of the game to “improve” pvp and instead it is worse than ever and have killed off the wvw community with it.

How did they turn my favourite MMO into this?

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

3.SCORES: Let’s say you where lucky and had really nice matches and you had more than 200 points on scoreboard. System thinks that you dramatically improved so starts to give let’s say… PRO-League players…After I left sapphire (with 8 wining streak and average 200 score’s) I discovered something is not right when I suddenly realized I am fighting Drazeh for my close and rest of his team is mix of Rawr and TCG. I am not good enough to compete with this guys and nobody from my team so basically we were punished by swift progress.

Little clarification here, score means nothing about your progression, has 0 impact on your MMR and is strongly misleading, that’s the reason why Anet wants to change it.

Your MMR only depends on wins or losses, that’s all, doesn’t matter if you have 10 points or 200 points at game.

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

Little clarification here, score means nothing about your progression, has 0 impact on your MMR and is strongly misleading, that’s the reason why Anet wants to change it.

Your MMR only depends on wins or losses, that’s all, doesn’t matter if you have 10 points or 200 points at game.

If remember correctly what devs said win/lose contribute little to mmr – score is the main thing – plz correct me if you find direct dev quote.

CLARIFACTION: I would like to add that I DON"T IMPLY that INVIDUAL SCORE system work’s fine and show what actually happened during match. I could heal team for 600k and tank the same damage I would still end match with 20-40 points:P.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

You are getting blowout matches because of the league system and low playerbase. The league system is a sad joke because of PIPS. Also, people have left the game because of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Coelho Nat.4697

Coelho Nat.4697

The current matchmaking has a very serious problem: it is the system who decides the winner. Once the system decided the player “belongs” to a tier, he will be locked forever on that tier. It doesn´t matter how good the player is or how much he improved over the season.

in PvP

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

I can agree with that, if we’re talking about once in a while, but getting something like 4-5 blowouts in rapid succession shows that something is very wrong.

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

The current matchmaking has a very serious problem: it is the system who decides the winner. Once the system decided the player “belongs” to a tier, he will be locked forever on that tier. It doesn´t matter how good the player is or how much he improved over the season.

This don’t apply to current mmr and matchmaking. During season 1 and this mmr is set to find you equally skilled players to fight against and to play with, first checking your division then other’s. It consensus around community that in current season every one have chance to get to legendary with enough TIME.

It’s funny how immature generally people are. Everyone don’t want to fight against better players or pre-determined matches so they ask for mmr that will do it’s job. But on other hand they expect that they have RIGHT to win every match even if I don’t know… they afk on mid whole match and call this skilled play.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

CmcCmC CmcCmc (iksago.xxxx — spelling?) Had his Anet flag two dayz ago. That guy soloq a lot for a long time. He got a relatively good MMR and he played warrior, mesmer, druids…? He is the more active that I know of.

Nord.xxxx —- aka Grouch, I got that one four weeks ago, i did soloq on Druids Mender (I know why Cleric got deleted…) without his Anet flag.

It seems, many DEV play the game without Anet Flag these dayz. I like to have them on my team randomly.

There is other one that I will not named, with high MMR but low skill ceiling. But you know, no one is perfect.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Every night I see that one of the dailies is to win a match on a class I’m good at I do a league game. I convince myself that tonight will be better.

3-7 over the last two weeks and every game except one has been decided by >200 points. That one game ended 500-494.

So for this sample size there’s a 10% chance for an exciting and fun match and a 90% chance I’m on a team that can’t tie their own shoes or am against a team that doesn’t know mid from kitten in the ground.