Why are designers so afraid of 1 vs 1 arena?

in PvP

Posted by: dimyzuka.7051

dimyzuka.7051

dueling should be put in immediately, not just to help build a pvp community and give players something to do while in 1hour paid ques etc

but how do they expect new players to learn their class, learn how to fight other classes, learn all the different abilities in the game? new players don’t learn much getting zerged by aoe in lolconquest.

i don’t know any mmo without dueling. they don’t have to balance around it and if someone doesn’t want to duel he doesn’t have to accept the duel.

+1 for dueling in the mists.
+1 for 3v3 or 2v2 deathmatch

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

The problem I see is, many of you say that now… just add it for fun… and the moment it’s implemented you’ll see complaints spread like wildfire across the boards about how unfair it is that the Guardian can heal to full health, or the Engineer can self-rez, or Moa… or the Warrior rises up again. Elites and downed state completely change the face of 1v1.

I am fine with the idea, save the fact that I KNOW the minute they do this it’s going to cause a lot of grief on these forums with people wanting more balance for it, and they are already clogged up with complaints as it is.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

I will never understand the mentality that we should not have dueling because classes are not balanced 1 v 1.

Then dont kittening duel if you feel perfect balance is a must before you even try. The /duel command being added would hurt no one that does not like duels yet it would really make alot of people happy. Its a pure win for a dev working on a pvp game.

/duel gives players nothing win or die no glory points no edge over other players spending their time doing Spvp other then dueling sharpens players skills.

Dueling is fine and fun. Having a 1v1 Arena not so much. Simply because the moment it’s put in people will start QQing about 1v1 balance and how that thief is waaaaay too OP because some nub got killed in 2s flat.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Tengu.6780

Tengu.6780

I want 1 vs 1 Arena !!!!!!!! Duel it is very fun !!! And I think in Gw2 a very good balance classes..who says otherwise just has not learned how to play!! )

Tosiro Genbu

in PvP

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

dueling should be put in immediately, not just to help build a pvp community and give players something to do while in 1hour paid ques etc

but how do they expect new players to learn their class, learn how to fight other classes, learn all the different abilities in the game? new players don’t learn much getting zerged by aoe in lolconquest.

i don’t know any mmo without dueling. they don’t have to balance around it and if someone doesn’t want to duel he doesn’t have to accept the duel.

Dude. Exactly. They even said in the state of the game video it’s very hard for new players to l2p spvp because of the burst. Well, I think if they were serious about helping new players in spvp the game would have been loaded with information and tools to help you fight other classes. Devs need to be honest with their customers by letting them know,

“Hey, (new player) watch out for this Thief/Mesmer profession because it will stomp you in 3 seconds. Make sure you have a team mate with plenty of knock back to stay alive. If you find yourself in a 1v1 situation, don’t panic. Just counter his high burst with high defense skills and unload on him after his first burst fails. Also, try to dodge CnD to leave him hanging. Remember, (noobie) this game is balanced around tpvp, and it’s not against the rules to make a good burst class and use it.”

Having useful bits of information pertaining to spvp in-game would do loads for the people who just want to try spvp without researching builds and watching things on youtube. They should be given the tools to be successful, not thrown into free tournaments, hot join zerg fest, or roflstomp paids.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

Dueling is fine and fun. Having a 1v1 Arena not so much. Simply because the moment it’s put in people will start QQing about 1v1 balance and how that thief is waaaaay too OP because some nub got killed in 2s flat.

Wow, guys. Try and at least browse the first page before replying. We’re not talking about 1v1 balance. There’s a million ways to let players know 1v1 Arena is to test ones skills/strategy against strictly another person. It’s not about winning all the time, but about having a genuine interaction with another player without interference from a trebuchet or what have you. People complain about Thief burst and Bunker specs in tpvp, so what’s up?! Huh! What you gunna do! Remove tpvp because people qq about burst/bunkers!? That’s how the devs want it! So, the common response is, “L2P noob.” This logic also pertains to 1v1 Arena. Are you having a difficult time in 1v1 Arena? “LOL, L2P 1v1”.

in PvP

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Wow, guys. Try and at least browse the first page before replying. We’re not talking about 1v1 balance. There’s a million ways to let players know 1v1 Arena is to test ones skills/strategy against strictly another person. It’s not about winning all the time, but about having a genuine interaction with another player without interference from a trebuchet or what have you. People complain about Thief burst and Bunker specs in tpvp, so what’s up?! Huh! What you gunna do! Remove tpvp because people qq about burst/bunkers!? That’s how the devs want it! So, the common response is, “L2P noob.” This logic also pertains to 1v1 Arena. Are you having a difficult time in 1v1 Arena? “LOL, L2P 1v1”.

That’s why I said regular duels are fine. Having a competitive 1v1 arena is not.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

1v1 implemented —> On the lower end of the skill spectrum people whine and kitten about mesmers and thieves --> On the higher end of the skill spectrum people whine and kitten about guardians and perma stealth thieves (sittin invis forever if they can’t win which leads to rage) —>Eventually more whining-->nerfs—>wvw/spvp/tpvp suffer.

You don’t have to talk about 1v1 balance; other people will talk about 1v1 balance when it gets implemented, and they will talk a lot.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

1v1 implemented —> On the lower end of the skill spectrum people whine and kitten about mesmers and thieves --> On the higher end of the skill spectrum people whine and kitten about guardians and perma stealth thieves (sittin invis forever if they can’t win which leads to rage) —>Eventually more whining-->nerfs—>wvw/spvp/tpvp suffer.

You don’t have to talk about 1v1 balance; other people will talk about 1v1 balance when it gets implemented, and they will talk a lot.

Literally everything you just said is already in the game, so wtf if your point? They’re unkillable guardians, perma stealth thieves, and mesmers in spvp. If you want to use a perma stealth thief in 1v1 be my kittening guest. If I can’t kill you and you can’t kill me bring on the kittening “Draw”. I don’t want Anet to waste their time with 1v1 balance, and they’ve already made it clear it’s not going to happen. So, why are you still bringing it up?. Let the devs balance the game with the pro’s, so they can get the esport rolling. Just because people will bltch and moan about 1v1 balance doesn’t mean we should limit game modes and options for everyone. I’m not saying, “Don’t start a thread and talk about 1v1 balance.” I’m saying, “Right here, in this kittening thread let’s stop saying the same kittening thing as the rest of the mob.”

in PvP

PotatoOverdose.6583

Literally everything you just said is already in the game, so wtf if your point? They’re unkillable guardians, perma stealth thieves, and mesmers in spvp. If you want to use a perma stealth thief in 1v1 be my kittening guest. If I can’t kill you and you can’t kill me bring on the kittening “Draw”. I don’t want Anet to waste their time with 1v1 balance, and they’ve already made it clear it’s not going to happen. So, why are you still bringing it up?. Let the devs balance the game with the pro’s, so they can get the esport rolling. Just because people will bltch and moan about 1v1 balance doesn’t mean we should limit game modes and options for everyone. I’m not saying, “Don’t start a thread and talk about 1v1 balance.” I’m saying, “Right here, in this kittening thread let’s stop saying the same kittening thing as the rest of the mob.”

In a team setting many of those points are invalid. Guardians aren’t unkillable in a 5v5. Perma stealth thieves aren’t really an issue in formats based around capturing points. 1v1’s are a completely different format based on killing your opponent in single combat. If 1v1’s are introduced, Balance changes for 1v1’s WILL come sooner or later.

Talking about 1v1’s and not talking about 1v1 balance is like talking about the night sky and refusing to talk about the moon. It’s kinda hard to miss, even if you squint real hard.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

In a team setting many of those points are invalid. Guardians aren’t unkillable in a 5v5. Perma stealth thieves aren’t really an issue in formats based around capturing points. 1v1’s are a completely different format based on killing your opponent in single combat. If 1v1’s are introduced, Balance changes for 1v1’s WILL come sooner or later.

Talking about 1v1’s and not talking about 1v1 balance is like talking about the night sky and refusing to talk about the moon. It’s kinda hard to miss, even if you squint real hard.

Talking about the moon? No wonder you’re narrow minded. You realize that we could talk more about celestial bodies, meteor showers, unexplored galaxies, planets in our solar system, and aliens? And you want to talk about the moon? What is this? 1969? I’d rather talk about the space station or mars than a big piece of dust. This game isn’t about killing. And if you honestly believe they will balance this game for 1v1, spvp, wv3, and start esport…oh my. You realize they are still making changes to spvp? That’s what the State of The Game Video was about.

(edited by Panther Chameleon.8465)

in PvP

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

1 v 1 with spectators would allow guilds to run their own tournies, and let them teach and test builds for fun, with no pressure. I don’t know why this is not a thing.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in PvP

PotatoOverdose.6583

Talking about the moon? No wonder you’re narrow minded. You realize that we could talk more about celestial bodies, meteor showers, unexplored galaxies, planets in our solar system, and aliens? And you want to talk about the moon? What is this? 1969? I’d rather talk about the space station or mars than a big piece of dust. This game isn’t about killing. And if you honestly believe they will balance this game for 1v1, spvp, wv3, and start esport…oh my. You realize they are still making changes to spvp? That’s what the State of The Game Video was about.

You might have slept through the class on analogy and simile in grade school.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/analogy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simile
Now go and re-read my original post.

And if you honestly think they’re going to release 1v1 content and then not balance a 1v1, you don’t know much about high profile game development. Never release stuff half baked. 1v1’s w/o 1v1 balance will never happen.

Have a nice day.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

Never release stuff half baked. 1v1’s w/o 1v1 balance will never happen.

Have a nice day.

Woah, sick burn. My point was, we could be talking about 1v1 in a good light (not the moon) or keep saying “1v1 balance, wah!” (the moon), but I didn’t expect you to interpret that. Never release stuff half baked? Spvp is “At the tip of the iceberg.”-JP. So, basically the game everyone is playing is indubitably “half baked”. You don’t understand game development, I know. They aren’t going to waste time and money to balance this game in 1v1 unless it’s way farther down the road. They are still fixing tpvp. It’s not perfectly balanced. Woah. Did you just see the correlation there?No? The entire game is unfinished, so who cares if 1v1 is unfinished. We just want new game mode, eff eff sss.

in PvP

Posted by: Chriswck.6490

Chriswck.6490

Perhaps there’s a misunderstanding on both sides of the argument?

IMHO:
Having 1v1s are fine, so long as they are not an official format and are present in the form of say Custom Servers.

If they were an official game mode, or worse made into tournaments, we have to agree that players will inevitably clamour for balance changes because QP points and ranks will be at stake.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

Why? What if players knew what they’re opponents’ profession was before the match? Get to move traits and what not around if you can predict what they might throw at you. Possibly getting a look at each others utility bar before you lock in. 1v1s are fun to watch and when they both go to ‘down state’ at the same time it really makes for a great show. If something was actually at stake like precious QP points and ranks players have a reason to play hard. Maybe throw in a little gambling, idk I’m from the South. Let’s also add blackjack and hookers.

in PvP

PotatoOverdose.6583

For an mmo 3 months after launch the game is remarkably polished tbh. The only rough spot really is spvp/tpvp.

And to be absolutely clear, I’m not saying they shouldn’t release a 1v1 format, I’m saying they won’t release an unpolished unbalanced 1v1. So ignoring that aspect of it doesn’t really make sense. People clamored for a 1v1 format in Gw1 as well, especially close to launch. Never happened. So I’ll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

The only rough spot really is spvp/tpvp.

A lot of people bought the game because it was marketed as a pvp utopia. It’s more like a totalitarian state telling us," Play this one build because it works right now. And don’t be down because you got stomped in tpvp. Learn to play. We’ll fix that Trait Tree in a moment. Fixing bugs is more important than your profession right now. I’m talking too much, so we are going to keep things really quiet. You won’t hear much about class balance because we are working…shhhh.shhhh…shhhh."

edit- Oh yeah. You forgot to mention GW1 also had Heroes’ Ascent among many, many other things.

in PvP

Chriswck.6490

Why? …

Just like how you would enjoy watching 1v1s, I think they would be rather boring to watch.

Seeing two players duking it out in downed-state doesn’t really make for a great show. Whoever goes down first, usually gets defeated first. Even if they both go down together, the outcome is highly dictated by the 4 downed-skills, which give little room for the player to utilize its skill/knowledge of the game. For example, a warrior with Vengence will almost always win in this case.

No, people will not play harder. It’s not even fair to begin with. I mean, look at all the suggestions to change thief skills, rather than having players just accept it and play harder.

(edited by Chriswck.6490)

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

All the classes have been changed a lot. Everything is changing. And if you only watch 1v1 for the downstate I’m sorry, but it’s more about watching how someone reacts to another player from the first skill to the last skill be it upstate or downstate. Are they able to spot an animation and have the perfect counter? Are they fast? Most importantly do they display sportsman like conduct? Does the player cry and curse when they lose? Or do they say, “gg” and move on. And guess what? If you don’t like 1v1 Arena you can geeet out!

in PvP

Chriswck.6490

^ But you were the one who said 2 players going down at the same time would make for a great show.

Honestly, I cannot follow your train of thought, so I’ll just rest my case.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

^ But you were the one who said 2 players going down at the same time would make for a great show.

Honestly, I cannot follow your train of thought, so I’ll just rest my case.

No, you misunderstand. Stop trying to prove me wrong and think for a second. When two players both go into down state what does that tell you? It wasn’t a fight where one player dominated the other in a second. Both players did well enough to down each other. You’re not a lawyer and you don’t sound smart. Take your case and shove it up your kitten. Wait. No that won’t sound right. Do it to yourself.

Edit- Furthermore, 1v1 Arena could be scored by the number of times a player downs the other. First player to 10 downs so on and so forth. There’s plenty of opportunity, but if you want to be worried, skeptical, and upset by the idea..fine by me. If you’re one of the people who’s excited, good on you!

in PvP

Chriswck.6490

I did misunderstand regarding the downed-state it seems, my apologies for being presumptuous there. But did you really need to attack me :c

I think your scoring system will work just fine. Though it will surely be a much more interesting fight if equal tools in the form of skills are given to the players. That way, player skill will more dictate the outcome.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

I did misunderstand regarding the downed-state it seems, my apologies for being presumptuous there. But did you really need to attack me :c

I think your scoring system will work just fine. Though it will surely be a much more interesting fight if equal tools in the form of skills are given to the players. That way, player skill will more dictate the outcome.

No. Allow me to thank you. I like sharing ideas with people. I think scoring based on downs could work, but it would have to be fast past to keep the viewer interested. Like as soon as you are downed both players reset at the start c/d refreshed. Both players’ builds will have now met for the first time, and there’s 9 more rounds to go. Allowing players to switch traits before the match and see each others’ “last used traits” to have an even better idea of what their opponent will do. When you defeat someone because you accurately predicted what they were planning you’ve earned +50 Skill Points in my book. It would also work both ways. If you’re someone who likes multiple builds on a profession you could throw your opponent off. This would be fast past stuff here, guys. Timed rounds and walled off sections of each map or turned into a dead or alive style arcade where you can push your opponent off points and move the fight to new smaller areas. Thus, truly giving the community “1v1 Arena”.

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Such as? Why is giving players another option a problem? It will not interfere with fixing what you think needs to be fixed. I think Arena is exactly what this game needs, more competition!!!!!

Because the class balance is so fundamentally broken for 1v1’s, insanely broken, and it would only shine the largest spotlight in the world upon that issue which would reflect overall class balance issues throughout the team game as well.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Simply because 1vs1 means nothing in a cooperative game, one can just run a bunker guardian and win versus almost everyone and use a cond necro to win vs bunker guardians…not much skills needed.

in PvP

Posted by: Jsx.6057

Jsx.6057

Because 1v1 brings QQ.

in PvP

Posted by: Jsx.6057

Jsx.6057

1v1 balance?

Please tell me which MMO had that. I’ll go play it right now.

in PvP

Posted by: etherfreeze.6834

etherfreeze.6834

I’ve wanted this from day one despite any balance gripes. Having a place to test your build against one other player without outside interruptions, and without having to capture points would be fun.

in PvP

Panther Chameleon.8465

Allow me to reinforce what I mentioned earlier in my previous post. Now, go look at the Mesmer forums.

On top of the constant updates to their (TWI RO2) early release was a plethora of performance bugs that were never fixed (similar to loading screen bug) and new bugs came with every update.

in PvP

Posted by: Kid Taylor.5479

Kid Taylor.5479

I would absolutely love to go around the mists and tell people not to play spvp if they didn’t like the unbalance in the game. It really helps my cause.