Why builds locked in arenas?

in PvP

Posted by: hisorange.3957

hisorange.3957

Is the function where we have 1 minute “prep” time before (un)ranked arenas has any meaning at all?

99% of the players standing in their spawn point so you can’t scout your enemy, you can check if it’s premade or not, and you can switch class if the matcmaking created a not too optimal team for you, or you switch so you can counter a probability of the enemy team composition.

But for example you die after the initial fight because the enemy has 2-3 stealth burster and your build is weak against them, what we do now? Switch character which has the counter build premade, because we can’t adjust our own gameplay in the match. Seriously we need to have 5 different character premade with different builds and log off / back to adjust to the match. (I am not talking about class switch but just build switch on the same class)

This is just a something that doesn’t make sense, what this restriction is intended to do?

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

It makes a lot of sense in that you go in with a set build and not be able to switch up during mid game because you’re up against a certain comp.

For instance, as a Mesmer, I can go in with Chaos line and PU and if I see that during the match there’s a lot of conditions being output, I can go OOC and switch to Inspiration and clear conditions when shattering.

That’s not exactly fair to the other team because you came in with a specific spec.

Risk vs Reward.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

hisorange.3957

I would understand that, but there is 2 thing, we are in random match ups so with this there is no space to adopt to the changing environment.

And also my point is that there is a workaround what we abuse constantly by switching to our other builds.

Also we usually switch in death down time so not even loseing time.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Cause if its unlocked you can switch your build, not in order to have a better comp against the other team, but also lets say wsitch the ele elites for teamfights/mobility, or use two different builds against two different 1v1 in the same match….

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The prep time is to devise a team strategy and adjust your team composition. For example, if you have too many bunkers and not enough DPS, one of the bunkers would switch.

It was never intended for you to counter-comp the enemy team.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

hisorange.3957

Ok please stop it, I understand that they wanted to lock builds from the start, but why they still doing it when we log off and back with different builds?

When I get into downstate already logging off and getting back before my death wait time countsdown on a different build. So the system is easly abuseable and nothing more than a character slot sale.

My problem isn’t the lockdown itself but the pretty oblivious way that we all use to avoid it.

in PvP

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

It makes a lot of sense in that you go in with a set build and not be able to switch up during mid game because you’re up against a certain comp.

It is possible to change the Toon during the match, why not the build? I see no logic. Especially since it’s also possible to switch with Toons the build. I have, for example, a PU and a Shatter Mesmer. So I can always change my Build anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Ok please stop it, I understand that they wanted to lock builds from the start, but why they still doing it when we log off and back with different builds?

ANet didn’t want you to switch builds after the game started. However, when they implemented that, you couldn’t switch characters either during the prep or the game, nor could you rejoin the game on any character if you disconnected. And you suffered dishonor. In order to not punish true disconnects, they added a grace period for rejoining the game. The side-effect is the behavior you describe.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

When I get into downstate already logging off and getting back before my death wait time countsdown on a different build. So the system is easly abuseable and nothing more than a character slot sale.

My problem isn’t the lockdown itself but the pretty oblivious way that we all use to avoid it.

Not the same switch a build when you are dead than switch an elite in mid-game. Period. Also, the dishonor think.

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ANET thought that switching builds would lead to strategy being included in the game and they didn’t want that.

Joking aside, no one wants a AFK sitting around adjusting their build middle of a match.

in PvP

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

What if we had an additional game mode where the map is ‘round based’ rather than ‘total points based’. The first team to reach 150 (or 200) points will get 1 point. Then the game will go on a one minute break period again, and during this time you can adjust your builds. The game will then resume (like a new game), and repeat this process until a team wins 2 rounds. I know anet wants PvP battles to last around the 10 to 15 minute mark, but I think this game mode will still meet the time limit requirement even with the one or two additional break periods.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

in PvP

Posted by: aggelos r.5387

aggelos r.5387

it is a team game not a personal game it not 1vs 1.
An i think that u can switch character but even if ur team win the game it will count as loose to you.
I dont think is logical to switch builds or characters in game , think you change build to deal with the other team and then they change build to deal with you and on and on.