Why do I feel so abused not buying Hot??

in PvP

Posted by: dragonWarrior.1045

dragonWarrior.1045

My intentions are to buy HoT at some point but I wanted to see how this played out. I purchased with real $$$$ GW2.0 (x3) almost 3 years ago so I am not a freeloader. I mostly play WvW and PvP so new content for PvE does not interest me. Apparently WvW is dead and PvP is useless without these new builds? Why do I feel like I am being held hostage for $50?? Is this the future of F2P?

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

DD ele still works. Soldier engie rifle still works. And warrior was proven OP by Crysis yesterday. So you got that.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

they did what I feared the most when elites were getting announced: they left the core profs in the dust, giving most of the new tech and fresh design ideas to the elites. core specs might as well not even exist.

but honestly, this is ANet. like, is anyone surprised? they’ve been delivering half-baked goods since vanilla’s release. for instance, 2/3’s of ranger’s grandmasters are useless. half of our weapons and utilities are also useless. same goes for most other professions. like, how does a company make new stuff without iterating on the old? just sweeping the garbage under the carpet. it’s absolutely absurd.

DD ele still works. Soldier engie rifle still works. And warrior was proven OP by Crysis yesterday. So you got that.

LOL

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

Lol

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in PvP

Posted by: ranciddy.8243

ranciddy.8243

Shatter mesmers are still fine, D/P thieves can still do a bunch of damage, bunker guardians are still a thing without DH.

in PvP

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

Because you did not buy an expansion… What do you expect. It’s not free to keep providing this game for you to play.

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Shatter mesmers are still fine, D/P thieves can still do a bunch of damage, bunker guardians are still a thing without DH.

I cry evrytiem I see a bunker guard now….

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Bunker Guards aren’t really a thing anymore. Burn Guards are still a thing.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

they did what I feared the most when elites were getting announced: they left the core profs in the dust, giving most of the new tech and fresh design ideas to the elites. core specs might as well not even exist.

LOL

If you tuned into the ESL Qualifiers this past Monday (stream still up on official Twitch channel if you missed it) you witnessed the ugly truth… PvP this season will be all about maximizing Elite Specializations. Winning teams will consist of Elite Specs with perhaps one core game classic meta spec in the mix to round things out.

Bear in mind meta becomes meta because it is what the best in game figure out is most optimal given the utility of the class and it’s team function. That spec is upvoted on sites like metabuild.com and can also be observed in hot-join, etc… Meta builds rise up from the community, they are proven. ArenaNet should be constantly monitoring them to see where balance needs to be placed and see what is OP. The fact that meta is now dominated by five builds and those five builds are all Elite Specs speaks for itself about the current balance issues.

A more optimistic perspective is just to accept that the game will always be changing. Buy HoT if you haven’t already and learn to play one of the Elite Specializations builds. If you want to pout about no longer being able to run a specific build on a specific class you can but it’s not going to ever be like it was. We all knew a meta reset was coming with HoT. Adapt!

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Cele necro still works too

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Harvey.7820

Harvey.7820

lol

in PvP

Posted by: MrKrataus.6420

MrKrataus.6420

u mean when he left teamfight to go svanir? lmao

[vM] Alkore

in PvP

Posted by: FrozenHeart.9243

FrozenHeart.9243

lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

u mean when he left teamfight to go svanir? lmao

So he could help his teammates with Svanir buff

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Reknarok.7582

Reknarok.7582

unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that they handled elite specs all wrong

the elite specs shouldnt have been a flat and obvious upgrade to the class like reaper, chronomancer, or dragonhunter. it should have been balanced against the existing core specs and give you a new way to play your class.

for some classes, i feel that it was achieved somewhat, i.e. scrapper. note, i said somewhat; i still believe its stronger than anything else you have available, just that its closer to core spec balance than something like chronomancer which is just a flat upgrade to the class as a whole.

theres a huge list of things i would like to see done in order to bring things back to how they were, but i cant be bothered to type all that out cause believe me. its kitten extensive.

i just hope they balance the elite specs against the core specs again and reduce the overall pace of spvp and amount of cc going around. pre-HoT was a good pace and spvp was fun overall, now its just a joke.

in PvP

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

My intentions are to buy HoT at some point but I wanted to see how this played out. I purchased with real $$$$ GW2.0 (x3) almost 3 years ago so I am not a freeloader. I mostly play WvW and PvP so new content for PvE does not interest me. Apparently WvW is dead and PvP is useless without these new builds? Why do I feel like I am being held hostage for $50?? Is this the future of F2P?

I agree with you man.
When ranger will be good I’ ll buy Hot…
Untill then no. So let’ s wait man

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I’m in the same spot. Locking elite specializations behind a paywall is yet another slap in the face of veterans.

But that’s the point. If the elite specializations weren’t blatantly stronger than the core classes, PvPers would have no reason to buy the expansion.

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I agree with you man.

Druid is bad? Am I in a parallel universe?

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Reknarok.7582

Reknarok.7582

I’m in the same spot. Locking elite specializations behind a paywall is yet another slap in the face of veterans.

But that’s the point. If the elite specializations weren’t blatantly stronger than the core classes, PvPers would have no reason to buy the expansion.

no. locking elite specs behind the expansion isnt a “slap in the face of veterans”

they have every right to charge us for expansions considering the amount of content you get for it.

the slap in the face is the fact that unless you have the elite specs, you may as well just not even play pvp. the fact that theyre so blatantly stronger than literally anything else you can play and that you cant access them unless you buy the expansion, is whats wrong here.

it also severely hinders build creativity

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Thats not true.
For example, even if core Ranger would be truly viable, you would need expansion to have more options (read: be able to support as Druid).

Elite Specializations were supposed to give new roles and more variety to core specializations, not outclass them completly.

I agree with you man.

Druid is bad? Am I in a parallel universe?

Ranger =/= Druid,
Necro =/= Reaper etc.

(edited by Morwath.9817)

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Have you counted the ranger bugs? They will not do anything about ranger I guess. And with all these reflections it is too easy to disable lb.

ps: druid is a different thing than ranger. Druid might be good, but it is not ranger players wanted. They wanted a chocolate cake, anet gave them a half eaten cookie with tanking abilities.

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Instead of abused you should have said “left out”.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

Elite specs were always going to be stronger based solely on the fact that they were created with the current game in mind, not 3 years ago on what they thought classes should be. They will most likely due a balance pass 3-6 months from now and bring all the older trait lines in balance with the Elite specs, but they have to create incentive to buy the expansion currently.

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Elite specs were always going to be stronger based solely on the fact that they were created with the current game in mind, not 3 years ago on what they thought classes should be. They will most likely due a balance pass 3-6 months from now and bring all the older trait lines in balance with the Elite specs, but they have to create incentive to buy the expansion currently.

“Core” classes were revamped (their all trait lines were reworked and some skills too) like half year ago… thats not an argument.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Elite: a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

You will have to do what so many WvW and PvP players already did and buy HoT just to keep up competitively. We paid for Elite skills. Refer to definition of the word “Elite”.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Elite: a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

You will have to do what so many WvW and PvP players already did and buy HoT just to keep up competitively. We paid for Elite skills. Refer to definition of the word “Elite”.

They already blatantly stated that elite specs were merely a naming convention and were not to be taken literally. They were supposed to be an alternative form of gameplay that does not outclass pre hot specs. Supposed to be though.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Crinn.7864

They already blatantly stated that elite specs were merely a naming convention and were not to be taken literally. They were supposed to be an alternative form of gameplay that does not outclass pre hot specs. Supposed to be though.

Judging by the fact that elite specs can only occupy the third spec slot (and thus you can only ever have 1) it vary obvious that there will be more elite specs, and I’m willing to bet that the intent (regardless of what the PR department says) is that everyone will run 2 core specs + 1 elite.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Nina.4317

Nina.4317

There such a difference betxeen no hot player and hot player.
Im not gonna pay. They have to show us their abilit to balance this.
May be it is time for me to uninstall the game. Even if someone pay for me; I’d rather burn the money than feeding the devs. The game don’t deserve a cent more.

(edited by Nina.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: aggelos r.5387

aggelos r.5387

me to i play only pvp and i pay for HOT if you get the same things like me then i will feel abused plus that i was paid for that

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Then they should ring up Oxford and ask for them to change the dictionary meaning of “elite” if they suddenly want definitions of a word changed to cater to advertisement purposes.

If Elite specs become anything other than Elite, then personally I want a refund as I paid for elite specs.. I didn’t pay for another specialization tree, I paid for an elite specialization tree.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Then they should ring up Oxford and ask for them to change the dictionary meaning of “elite” if they suddenly want definitions of a word changed to cater to advertisement purposes.

If Elite specs become anything other than Elite, then personally I want a refund as I paid for elite specs.. I didn’t pay for another specialization tree, I paid for an elite specialization tree.

I dont think your english is bad enough to misunderstand what i said. Try to read it properly again. If you still dont understand ill explain.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

druid is the ranger’s elite spec… u ’r still using 2 other specs from the ranger + the elite spec

so saying that ranger =/= druid is kinda stupid … it’s just new mechanincs and 1 new weapon (+ 1 another from vanilly ranger)

they are’nt 2 dissimilar professions … it’s just an “improvement” of the profession … so argument is irrelevant.

in PvP

alain.1659

1 new healing skill, 3 slot skills, 1 new elite, new pets, new mechanic (astral force), new weapon and a new traitline. This can change a class entirely friend.

Core ranger’s bugs are effecting the gameplay. However with druid you can find a new and an effective way to play. There is a HUGE difference. And I am not even mentioning the projectile reflects added to the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

But … it’s the same class … to be able to play the druid spec, u have to create a RANGER first !

so plz don’t do the mind games about druid=/=ranger …. it’s just a new kind of ranger but still ranger !

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

I purchased with real $$$$ GW2.0 (x3) almost 3 years ago so I am not a freeloader. Why do I feel like I am being held hostage for $50?? Is this the future of F2P?

wat

in PvP

Posted by: Maylo.5892

Maylo.5892

Ok i will be honest with you now, if you want to focus on PvP as a SOLO player, do not buy HoT. It is not because of elite specs, it is because future of leagues seems to promote strongly team play and as a solo player you will have no chance to get those shiny rewards and high ranks.

If you wanna form a team and play for real, then unfortunately buying HoT is a must. As gamer fellows already mentioned, Elite specs are by far superior to everything you have in an original game. I know this looks stupid and it is, but Anet does not care at the moment. Can’t tell what will happen in future, do not have high hopes for changes you will like, as most of previous patches in history shown changes to balance and game are being quite dumb and in the end far different as announced years ago (slow implementation… yawn)

Mr Maylo
Rank #1 Life

(edited by Maylo.5892)

in PvP

Crinn.7864

You got 3 years of gameplay for that 50 bucks. Stop being entitled.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

the elite specs shouldnt have been a flat and obvious upgrade to the class like reaper

As for the chrono and DH, I can’t really speak for the chronomancer and there are some tweaks that need to be made I think (ToT ignoring/removing all stability/cannot be immediately stunbroken), but it doesn’t seem too too much better when you isolate issues like those. DH is definitely an overdone upgrade, though.

I’d argue the base necro only does poorly relative to the reaper because it lacks stability.

Single-target kill-speed hands down by a massive margin goes to base necro over the reaper, as well as being more durable and consistent against both incoming raw damage and conditions.

It’s pretty much entirely a question of stability for the base necro at this point.

in PvP

Morwath.9817

I’d argue the base necro only does poorly relative to the reaper because it lacks stability.

Maybe in WvW, but in general if you compare RS and DS:

RS has faster attacks (#1). So it has more synergy with Dhumfire.
RS has better #2 can both engage and disengage.
RS has better #3 because of stability.
RS has better #4 because it has condi application.
RS has better #5, because stun > yolo immob.

Also Reaper -elite- is the best elite skill Necro has.

I would dare to say that Reaper trait line is far superior to Blood/Curses/Death, so core Necro is missing good thrid trait line (both Soul Reaping and Spite are excellent) to be as much viable.

How Reaper isn’t upgrade?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Sorry to hear about that, some things I would suggest.
1) Tweaking your build some more and playing to your strengths
2) Wait and see if HoT goes on sale, I’m sure some retail stores may have a black friday sale…
3) Wait for Anet to release the next expansion and for the HoT to be pushed out for free (may have misunderstood this)

This is not a new or GW2 specific issue though. Whenever an Expansion drops there will be some people who do not upgrade for whatever reason and they will miss out on the new classes or races.

A classic example i can give, is World of Warcraft. When Happy Panda Land was released ((essentially what the expac was)) those who were stuck on Cata couldn’t play Monk or Pandarian.

Guild Wars 1, when Factions was released if you were stuck on Prophecies you could’t play Assassin(Thief 1.0 ) or Ritualist (Revenant/Guardian 1.0 ). When Nightfall came out, if you were stuck on Factions or Prophecies, you couldn’t play Dervish or Paragon.

As with all the examples listed above, the goal was to promote the new classes. After some time though, people were able to find ways to counter them with just the vanilla classes. It just takes time.

You’re just behind the 8-ball atm and to stay competitive, you need to adapt by purchasing the expac or by fine tuning your build to be productive against the new elite specs/ new class. Even if this means, playing a role you normally would not play.

Hope any of this information helped out.

Cheers

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

is new elite specs really more powerful than the core specs ? i would say they are just another trait line, that’s all. old specs can still own the new elite specs if you’re good enough.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in PvP

alain.1659

Elite specs are more powerful than core specs. What you are talking about is player’s skill level. Not profession’s/ elite’s skill level.

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

elite specs arnt more powerful than core specs, they simply offer a new way of playing your class. Sure that new way may be powerful, but thats cuz its strong in the new that it is doing. The DH does good ranged dmg and does good onpoint defense with traps… because it never had access to that before.. many prefer fighting a DH over the old burn guard, which is still stronk.

everything is tuned over time, something is always a bit stronger, but hopefully anet will keep things refreshing by switching metas

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore