Why do you lose more points than you win?

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

That’s not how ELO works. You cant tell me that 100% of my losses are to weaker teams, and 100% of my wins are to stronger ones. There is no reason that I should be losing 15-20 points per loss and only winning 10-15 per win.

Anet, this system is already significantly better than any of the others you’ve kitten, but this is a ridiculously short-sighted approach to forcing ELO stagnation.

Once again, you’ve added your own little spin to matchmaking that goes against the very idea of ELO/MMR as a skill-identifier.

I understand that you want the people at the top to not just balloon to extremely high ratings, but if people are consistently winning against evenly matched teams, they should. Eventually, they’ll be far enough away from the competition that their gains will slow significantly and you’ll see exactly what we see now in the top 25, just with a few higher outliers. However, that wont be an intentional slap in the face to literally EVERY SINGLE PLAYER below them by arbitrarily forcing them to lose additional points that they have to make up just because you feel like it.

Once again, you’ve designed a system that goes against the spirit of competition. It’s closer this time, but still imperfect. Beyond that, players shouldn’t be further punished because they got straight outcomped by 3+ DH’s that you don’t feel like doing anything about.

PvP is dying in this game for a reason, and it’s because you guys are repeatedly making the same mistakes that go against the spirit of competition. Again, this season is BY FAR the best you’ve had since HoT, and please don’t think I’m displeased with it, but it’s also far from perfect and you did that on purpose.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

That’s not how ELO works.

GW2 uses a modified Glicko2.

And that’s exactly how it works. When a match is decided, there’s an expected outcome based on your team’s average rating and the opposing team’s average rating. These numbers, when identical, lead to a 50-50 chance of winning. In reality though, they’re never identical, which leads to kitten -45 chance, or something else entirely.

The other thing you have to keep in mind, your team’s MMR changes from match to match. Lets say you’re 1400, and you lose a match and lose 40 points, in a matchup where your team’s MMR is 1375. At the end of this match, your MMR is now 1360, and the next match you play, your team’s MMR won’t be 1375. That’s not even including the opposing team’s MMR, which can vary due to the players in it.

We don’t have exact numbers to work with, aside from adding everyone in the match to your friend’s list to see their MMR and working with that, which is effort. Ideally, the post-match details (after the match is over, not before it begins) should reveal both team’s starting MMR before the fight.

ELO details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#Theory

Note that E_A and E_B are expected outcomes based on R_A and R_B, which is the player’s ratings before a game (or analogous team ratings before a match): . Both expected outcomes are then used to calculate the new rating for each player (R_A’, R_B’) based on both their expected outcome (E_A) and actual outcome (S_A). K-factor is effectively a volatility constant.

Glicko is a bit more complex than ELO.

(edited by Rashy.4165)

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

It’s a great system for 5man groups Not so much for teams of 5 random people, but oh well

in PvP

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

Why you lose points when you do exteme great, but your team loses anyway? How does that fits an individual leaderboards?

[HUE]

in PvP

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

I do see this pattern as well and it is discouraging. Always lose more rating than win rating. Climbing up seems so slow, I wish they would introduce a system similar to what we had with getting more pips on a winning streak.

Another issue I have is with placement having too much away, I see people with much worse win/ratio than me being placed a lot higher. Placement is nothing but luck based, especially on the day it was released.

(edited by Dariya.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Yeah… it does seem like I always loose more points than I win. That’s odd. Maybe this system prevents one from grinding to move up. You need a better than 50% ratio to stay where you are, and a much better ratio to move up. Seems like one would need a 60% w/l ratio to move up and about kitten ratio to stay put.

Edit: Why is fifty-five percent censored?

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yeah… it does seem like I always loose more points than I win. That’s odd. Maybe this system prevents one from grinding to move up. You need a better than 50% ratio to stay where you are, and a much better ratio to move up. Seems like one would need a 60% w/l ratio to move up and about kitten ratio to stay put.

Edit: Why is fifty-five percent censored?

You had a before the two 5s replace those with S’ Anet and their draconian censorship

in PvP

Posted by: albostan.6719

albostan.6719

First of all it’s a competitive game not a ok let’s grind to the top cuz I like to be top player.
Why you lose more points than you gain? You have 5 players each team and both teams have together a equal amount of rank points for exmplae bronze players all around 1.2k points x5 6k points and the opponents have 5.8k points all together. So you gonna lose against a team who has lower rating than you hence you lose more cuz you played even worse than that team with lower points.

Why you get less points for wins cuz you gonna face either lower or same points matched players or atleast not with a high difference.

The real reason why you all are upset because you can’t all like last 4 pvp seasons grind to division 6 and feel pro after that. If you get 50/50 ratio than you are for sure on the rank that you deserve :-)

You need a 60/40% ratio to rank up cuz you can count it for your own 6 wins are woth more than 4 loses.

2 friends of mine got one from silver and the other from g1 to plat with good gameplay and not by crying on the forum :-P

And yes i’m sure you had always the bad team the enemy team had only pro gamers on the lower ranks :O

(edited by albostan.6719)

in PvP

Archon.6480

blah blah blah…
…you are for sure on the rank that you deserve :-)
blah blah blah

The biggest mistake you can make this season is doing your placement matches solo. The system is clueless and can place you anywhere. That’s true.

If you want more points for winning than loosing dual queue with a smurf friend who is unranked or in bronze.

I dual queued with my buddy (who barely every plays PvP) during his placement matches and he ended up in T1 gold. Meanwhile my smurf was placed in t2 bronze because I was farting around and solo queued my placement matches.

My main was pure solo queued and placed in t2 gold. The placement matches don’t work. The matchmaker is getting quick matches by pulling players with disparate skill levels and tries to keep a 50% w/l ratio with beginners.

If you want to do well, be skilled and play with a similarly skilled friend. Don’t do placement matches solo.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

blah blah blah…
blah blah blah

The biggest mistake you can make this season is doing your placement matches solo. The system is clueless and can place you anywhere. That’s true.

If you want more points for winning than loosing dual queue with a smurf friend who is unranked or in bronze.

I dual queued with my buddy (who barely every plays PvP) during his placement matches and he ended up in T1 gold. Meanwhile my smurf was placed in t2 bronze because I was farting around and solo queued my placement matches.

My main was pure solo queued and placed in t2 gold. The placement matches don’t work. The matchmaker is getting quick matches by pulling players with disparate skill levels and tries to keep a 50% w/l ratio with beginners.

If you want to do well, be skilled and play with a similarly skilled friend. Don’t do placement matches solo.

The bolded shows you don’t understand how the system works, if you Queue with someone of a much lower Mmr you gain next to no points between 2-6 points per win and if you lose you lose anywhere from 20-30. And this could be as small of a gap as mid Silver and high Bronze to have the point disparity.

in PvP

Posted by: Hannibal.6294

Hannibal.6294

tfw when you win 2 games in a row to get 7 rating from each match to only lose 14 rating in the next game.

in PvP

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I worked my way up to platinum solo, now im treading the bronze/silver line bc i was stupid and decided to group up

in PvP

Archon.6480

blah blah blah…
blah blah blah

The bolded shows you don’t understand how the system works, if you Queue with someone of a much lower Mmr you gain next to no points between 2-6 points per win and if you lose you lose anywhere from 20-30. And this could be as small of a gap as mid Silver and high Bronze to have the point disparity.

Well, perhaps it is because my smurf account was originally put into bronze and was in silver when duo queuing with my friend who never plays pvp. It’s really funny, to get 16pts per win and only -9 on a loss, must then mean we were beating high rated players. Right?

Whatever, the system is bonkers. On my main I get placed in Gold, smurf goes to bronze and I destroy almost everything I encounter and duo queue my friend to Gold, who never plays PvP. That must mean a PvE hero and bronze noob (with over 5000 games played) are better than the average PvP player base…

Jade Quarry – Esparie