Why hide your builds?

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

After playing sPvP for a while I noticed something kinda funny people tend to want to keep their builds a secret. I am so confused with this because if A-Net is trying to get into the competitive scene and make GW2 an E-Sport does it make sense to hide your builds? In every sport you decide what position you want to play using soccer or Futbol as an example Forwards/Striker (DPS) Mid Fielders (Support) Center backs (Tanks or Bunkers) and then you get good at that position. Shouldn’t people focus a bit more on HOW to play the class or in Futbol terms who can dribble the ball better or juggle better? Every good footballer knows its not if people know the technics to juggle but wether you can actually use the technics effectively. Everyone knows to flick the ball back and then flick up is how you start to juggle but not everyone knows how to actually do it.

For me juggling is timing and reflex shouldn’t that be the focus on builds and skill in GW2? Timing and reflex not just builds? Anyone can have a “Meta” build but not everyone can use it properly. So many people hide their builds but I really can’t understand why? Regardless when people spectate the match the full build can be seen and imo the only people who have “Copyright” to the builds is A-Net because they are the ones that made them we just figured out how to affectively flick the ball back and flick up lol. Just a thought that I had and never really understood why people do this.

PS I tend to share my builds because of what I mentioned above I don’t look too much at forums for builds because I like to experiment with builds. Just funny because sometimes when I ask people their builds in mist while waiting for match to start everyone tells me its a secret lol.

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

It’s simple
People want to feel unique

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

E-Sport

Unique in skins. Build is E-Sport

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Didn’t hide it, its anet trait system after all, they has all the data.
i has more hotjoin play than rated battle (hotjoin can spectate, rated are not. it is known) but they are much cooler watching in twitch.tv no hate just fact.

So you see no one hides their build in this game, its just that how you figure it out and how you play every traits you’re class can offer (including weapon sets). i say, man, those adept,master and gmaster trait? they siicckk! (i wish people knew how wonderful guildwars2 trait system is)
You’re welcome arena net.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

There’s a difference between hiding a build and just not wanting to invest time into explaining it.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

There’s a difference between hiding a build and just not wanting to invest time into explaining it.

I agree.

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

After playing sPvP for a while I noticed something kinda funny people tend to want to keep their builds a secret. I am so confused with this because if A-Net is trying to get into the competitive scene and make GW2 an E-Sport does it make sense to hide your builds? In every sport you decide what position you want to play using soccer or Futbol as an example Forwards/Striker (DPS) Mid Fielders (Support) Center backs (Tanks or Bunkers) and then you get good at that position. Shouldn’t people focus a bit more on HOW to play the class or in Futbol terms who can dribble the ball better or juggle better? Every good footballer knows its not if people know the technics to juggle but wether you can actually use the technics effectively. Everyone knows to flick the ball back and then flick up is how you start to juggle but not everyone knows how to actually do it.

For me juggling is timing and reflex shouldn’t that be the focus on builds and skill in GW2? Timing and reflex not just builds? Anyone can have a “Meta” build but not everyone can use it properly. So many people hide their builds but I really can’t understand why? Regardless when people spectate the match the full build can be seen and imo the only people who have “Copyright” to the builds is A-Net because they are the ones that made them we just figured out how to affectively flick the ball back and flick up lol. Just a thought that I had and never really understood why people do this.

PS I tend to share my builds because of what I mentioned above I don’t look too much at forums for builds because I like to experiment with builds. Just funny because sometimes when I ask people their builds in mist while waiting for match to start everyone tells me its a secret lol.

When ppl (Me included) were testing the first axe or mace/sword carrion (That swapped for celestial after buff) on war we did it in private arenas and even after it started being used by many you usually avoided hotjoins with many ppl in spectator and always left the match as soon as it ended, because that spec (Now it’s not anymore) was freaking op in 1v1 on side points and just didn’t want to see everyone running around with that in tournament…same was with d/d ele block bug months ago, testing it and learning how to use it in private arenas with pass (I remember fighting 2 hours 1v1 at close with 2 friends with d/d until they managed to block all my lb f1 to make them being able to win with warriors on point) and that ofc was something noone wanted to see in the hands of every single pve hero around….after some time wiki put it in the description so it’s not a secret anymore but at that time it made the difference between winning or losing (That’s how xuk actually won vs rom in 1v1 on point). Long story short if someone sets up a really good spec, let’s say a new meta spec able to shut down the current meta (Like it was with carrion, mace-axe/sword during decap engi meta) investing time testing it he won’t give it away for free for sure…or at least not before abusing it as much as he can…this wants to be a competitive game right? No competitive player would give someone else who doesn’t play with him an advantage..it’s pretty logic

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Exactly! they will know you only by your blade, and judge you by your worth, there are a lot of good builds in the web
why waste such time explaining it if they don’t wanna invest time playing and learning.
Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle. Who knows?

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i just wanna know Wubwub’s from ApEX guardian build.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Archaon.9524

pm him maybe?

Ark 2nd Account

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Or not wanting it to be copied by others for it to show up on the forum with the statement thats its His new build and he came up with it…and everyone starts rolling it aswell,a thing that has happend to me on multiple occasions.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Or not wanting it to be copied by others for it to show up on the forum with the statement thats its His new build and he came up with it…and everyone starts rolling it aswell,a thing that has happend to me on multiple occasions.

Came in for the lawls…was not disappointed.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Ego. For the “gamers” (I use another word but that comes off as insulting as it is meant to be) they need to feed the Ego. You can’t feed the Ego if you aren’t an Elitist. Keeping builds, good/bad/ugly, in a niche provides the ability to feel Elitist and feed that Ego.

Anything else is really superfluous.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

There is a big difference between something like soccer (or football for you sensitive types) and GW2 (or any eSport for that matter). Soccer doesn’t have personal builds, because its a physical game. Yet, even in soccer, and any sport like it, you don’t see teams coming out and revealing their team strategy publicly. In American Football you don’t have teams who will come out and explain their plays. Because these are all competitive things, that means you want to win.

Look at other eSports. TCG/CCG (card games) players will rarely openly reveal their deck lists before competitions because it gives them a massive edge over someone who does. SC2 players don’t usually talk about their timings/builds until people have already figured it out. League is a bit unique in that certain things like runes/masteries are all public, so no one really keeps those secret, but other parts of the team “build” are definitely kept secret.

So long as the game is competitive, people will do what it takes to give themselves an edge. If I can win because my build is better, even though I’m a worse player, then I’m not going to go around giving out my build.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

To feel unique and lessening the chance of your build getting nerfed.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: TheThiefMaster.3812

TheThiefMaster.3812

I would hide a build because I dont want it to be meta and then inevitably get nerfed.

Anet always nerf popular builds and buff the ones that most people dont use.

Guild – BLNT , NS , oPP
IGN – Kinsz / Server – Sea of Sorrows
https://www.youtube.com/user/BLNTGw2

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

There is a big difference between something like soccer (or football for you sensitive types) and GW2 (or any eSport for that matter). Soccer doesn’t have personal builds, because its a physical game. Yet, even in soccer, and any sport like it, you don’t see teams coming out and revealing their team strategy publicly. In American Football you don’t have teams who will come out and explain their plays. Because these are all competitive things, that means you want to win.

Look at other eSports. TCG/CCG (card games) players will rarely openly reveal their deck lists before competitions because it gives them a massive edge over someone who does. SC2 players don’t usually talk about their timings/builds until people have already figured it out. League is a bit unique in that certain things like runes/masteries are all public, so no one really keeps those secret, but other parts of the team “build” are definitely kept secret.

So long as the game is competitive, people will do what it takes to give themselves an edge. If I can win because my build is better, even though I’m a worse player, then I’m not going to go around giving out my build.

I can 100% understand your POV makes a lot of sense. Now I ask this question; shouldn’t the emphasis in GW2 tournaments/Tpvp be on team tactics and not on individual builds? The football (Futbol) team won’t reveal their strategy because its how the team plays each game but the individual player will reveal the technique to do a successful free kick for example. (Gareth Bale made a video showing he’s technique for free kicks)(Im a madridista lol so thats the first person that came to mind) But I can definitely understand a player who only runs solo pvp why he’d want to keep it a secret. I only ask this to have a discussion not to argue or “one up” anyone.

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Hide your builds! Hide your wife!

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Caedmon.6798

Whats so funny about it ? If someone rolls an “Op” build and it gets copied,shared..it can become a meta.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Whats so funny about it ? If someone rolls an “Op” build and it gets copied,shared..it can become a meta.

Read your statement, get the “I made this build ego boost”, and proceed with the lawls. Like I said, I R NOT DISAPPOINT. GG.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Archaon.9524

There’s nothing about “i made this build bs” (At least for me) it’s more likely if i find something really good that can counter actual meta i just don’t want to see everyone running it in no time…all i want is to keep for myself something is gonna give me an advantage over everyone else and win. If some country finds out how to drastically win any hypotetical ww3 do you really think they’re gonna share it with the rest of the world? Don’t think so…

This is not a rl war…but it’s still a war, and in competitive stuff there is no mercy…at least not at high level

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

Its literally the most typical build
2/1/6/1/4 sw/f gs

gerdian

(edited by Booms.2594)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

Most of the top play builds are common builds.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

I don’t want anyone to know my secret elite signet necro build

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Caedmon.6798

Read your statement, get the “I made this build ego boost”, and proceed with the lawls. Like I said, I R NOT DISAPPOINT. GG.

Theres nothing to ego boost about, it’s just my reason..take it or leave it really,cba what you might think about it.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I can 100% understand your POV makes a lot of sense. Now I ask this question; shouldn’t the emphasis in GW2 tournaments/Tpvp be on team tactics and not on individual builds? The football (Futbol) team won’t reveal their strategy because its how the team plays each game but the individual player will reveal the technique to do a successful free kick for example. (Gareth Bale made a video showing he’s technique for free kicks)(Im a madridista lol so thats the first person that came to mind) But I can definitely understand a player who only runs solo pvp why he’d want to keep it a secret. I only ask this to have a discussion not to argue or “one up” anyone.

Because there is a completely different level of execution vs theory. I could spend years watching and practicing a professional’s tricks on how to free kick, but I will never be even a mediocre free kicker compared to the world stage level of performance (and I played a lot of the sport when I was younger). Another thing is that knowing another person’s technique, and being able to do it yourself, doesn’t give you the same level of advantage. Even if someone could mimic Bale’s technique, the technique itself doesn’t really become weaker, goalies don’t suddenly know exactly how to block every kick he does.

But for eSports, theory allows you much more control. If I know my opponent’s deck in Hearthstone, I know how to play out the matchup. In fact I saw a game very recently where someone obviously didn’t realize that their opponent ran a certain card that was rare in the type of deck (it was a Mind Control, which isn’t super common anymore), and it lost him the game. In SC2, knowing your opponent’s build is a massive part of being able to beat them. And this applies to GW2 as well, knowing the build that the other person is running tells you what to look for, what to dodge, if you have an advantageous matchup or not, etc. All of that is very big to know before you enter a game.

Now, in my opinion GW2 is one of the least important games to keep builds secret in because the execution ceiling for the vast majority of builds is so low that really what allows you to win the game is superior teamwork, better team strategy, rotations, and in game knowledge, things that are completely unrelated to builds. Plus most players who seem so secretive about their builds aren’t at all good enough to really validate worrying about it. But for competitive players, its just another thing that they can try to gain a small advantage in, and if that helps them win then its fair game imo.

Edit: just realized I missed part of your question. Team play is important, yes. But especially in a game like GW2 where so many fights are 1v1/2v2 and getting an advantageous matchup (is that Necro a condi build? better not send your condi engi there. if its MM though, thats an easy win) or knowing the opponent’s build makes the fight much easier. The game has a lot of individual play in it, you can literally lose a game just because your bunker can’t win a 1v1, unlike traditional team sports.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Hey you can message me in game. I wouldl be more then happy to help you and tell you everything you needed to know about the build and alternatives.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

The way of the * (Kitten in other words). People making excuses for hiding a build in a game that is try to become and E-Sport. LOL. I wonder why LoL is so successful? Hmm must be all the people hiding their build sets… oh wait!

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

The fools who hide builds keep going this route they will be the “champions” of a game mode NOBODY PLAYS! Lol you can be the champions of nothing feel free. kitten you little pusses that don’t know how to talk to girls IRL and come here to fill the ego meter.

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

Umadbro? /15CHARACTERS

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Zoso.8279

Umadbro? /15CHARACTERS

Nah tired. Post your build bro. Or give me the metabuild.com url

Necromancer Main

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

I post my builds in the necro forums all the time. At least when I have a decent one. I don’t use that meta battle website either.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

There’s nothing about “i made this build bs” (At least for me) it’s more likely if i find something really good that can counter actual meta i just don’t want to see everyone running it in no time…all i want is to keep for myself something is gonna give me an advantage over everyone else and win. If some country finds out how to drastically win any hypotetical ww3 do you really think they’re gonna share it with the rest of the world? Don’t think so…

This is not a rl war…but it’s still a war, and in competitive stuff there is no mercy…at least not at high level

Sounds like you’re not trying to beat anyone on skill, but out gimmick them. High level competitions are about skill and not gimmicks. World class competitors show all their techniques and still beat people with them. There’s a reason people run mirrors when they want to see who is actually better.

Why hide your builds?

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Theres nothing to ego boost about, it’s just my reason..take it or leave it really,cba what you might think about it.

MY BUILD BRO…MY BUILD…DEY DUNZ STOLE IT!!!