Why is Deathmatch so unpopular?

in PvP

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I LOVE deathmatch and Courtyard is my favorite map. Why is it so unpopular?

It seems that anyone that likes deathmatch already seeks it out through GvG, which guild halls will be officially introducing with HOT.

With new the Stronghold map introducing strongholds as a new match-type, do you think SH will be popular? Could they push deathmatch as a match-type too?

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

→ People got Conquest builds, which are often about node holding, 1v1/2v2 and do badly in team fights.
→ Premades got even bigger advantage here.
→ Anihilation in GW1 was much better (compare to Coutyard to GW1 maps).

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

It’s also my favorite map but it doesn’t have it’s own queue,they are no build savers and it was badly introduced. SH is no excuse for deleting or ignoring it.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: Poliator.7021

Poliator.7021

Don’t expect support to sPvP TDM anytime soon, as they are focusing now in Stronghold, with the game mode and the maps they will introduce. Maybe they will eventually focus or support sPvP TDM, creating its own queue, but I don’t think it will happen soon.

That said, maybe they want to give Guild Halls arenas for this purpose until they can focus on the sPvP mode of it, refining it, creating maps, et cetera.

Moreover, one of the problems people have a problem with TDM is because it’s on the Conquest queues, so people usually have Conquest builds. Some others say because it’s small/it has too much LoS, which I disagree on. I find it an amazing TDM map + the mode should be a little tweaked (going for rounds, for example), because right now it’s pretty snowball-ish given decent premades vs solos.

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

I love deathmatch and coutyard but its bad map for deathmatch……i hope they will introduce more deathmatch maps and 2vs2 3vs3 arenas

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Because class imbalances are much more apparent in death match where you cannot choose your fights or choose to leave some fights.

Rampage is already ultrastrong, imagine what it does when the whole gamemode is just about 5v5 zerg in the middle of the map. Same for basically all other aoe burst builds.

Bunkers are basically useless in deathmath too.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I love it too. And I see zero reason why they should not give it its own queue at this point.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

I would love Courtyard if it was done in best 2 out of 3 rounds. Not this ressing to just be farmed at your doorstep.

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Because class imbalances are much more apparent in death match where you cannot choose your fights or choose to leave some fights.

Rampage is already ultrastrong, imagine what it does when the whole gamemode is just about 5v5 zerg in the middle of the map. Same for basically all other aoe burst builds.

Not at all most of the experience some have in courtyard is due to the lack of meta and experience similar to what happened when the latest patch came. Many believe it was zerker and condi everything until they saw bunker necro,guards,ele etc.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: Reicta.2178

Reicta.2178

It’s also my favorite map but it doesn’t have it’s own queue,they are no build savers and it was badly introduced. SH is no excuse for deleting or ignoring it.

This. If GW2 had build savers I would be much more accepting of TDM as I could load up a build for it. Right now it just sucks if your team comp isn’t suited for it.

I liked it for a few games, but other reasons I dislike it include: Courtyard is too small; everyone either AoE spams in the “hallway” or camps spawn most of the time.

Games tend to be landslides too. One team will gain momentum at the beginning and keep it going and end up 500-50 or something. Or on the other hand, it might be totally stagnant if the teams are too defensive/bulky and no one gets downed or dies ever.

Overall, I really think a build saver/loader would do wonders. Many specs aren’t meant for TDM at all. Honestly if everyone just went full glass it’d be pretty fun.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Its bad because the map is too small and fights usually become a clusterkitten (true for all zerg related activities). In my opinion, we need more interesting maps with a few different spawn points. Let there be powerups that toss out random boons that are announced on the map to get people to converge on those points. Let tdm be a real tdm and not just wvw on a smaller scale.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

That’s far from the reason.

The match isn’t exactly made for solo players who are unsyncronized. Because of that, it gamemode almost always snowballs and nobody likes the feel of inadequance. The team who wipe first governs how the rest of the match will go. Unlike Conquest, there’s not much strategies to out rotate and/or out smart the other team.

There are several deathmatch ideas that have been passed around but they all require heavy amount of coding, similiar to that of Stronghold. Arenanet decided to take the easy route and made it a simple team vs team deathmatch with no other functions or objectives. The experience wasn’t exactly what the community had in mind.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

1. Noobs crying forever and ever for deathmatch cuz noobs thought conquests are for noobs
2. Noobs got into deathmatch and got their kitten kicked so hard it gave them PTSD and realized that ‘Oh!, good pvp requires teamplay!".
4. Noobs never want to touch deathmatch again
5. Get back to "practice’ and kill random pugs to boost back self-esteem and continue the facerolling.

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Well a few reasons, the map is bad for 5v5, it would be better if it were 2v2/3v3, the game isn’t balanced for it, it is pretty dull / simplistic, after all it is basically just a team fight in a very dull map, it has a lower skill cap (again dull).

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

Melee train basically destroys everything in courtyard. Without a set of objectives that force players to split apart, game mechanics strongly encourage you to ball up within 600 range and share heals/cleanses and boons (the most important of which is stability). Then you just cleave your wave through the other team.

The design of the map doesn’t help. Its like a central pit (that most players avoid) and an elevated, narrow outer ring that you can melee train around. I think the only reason WvW guilds don’t farm this map in 5 man GWEN premades is because its in a conquest map rotation and is rarely chosen.

in PvP

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

You get people who need capture points for Daily forced into Deathmatch, which doesn’t have capture points.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

in PvP

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

it’s only unpopular because it doesnt have a seperate queue, most of my builds fare badly in TDM as they are conquest builds, and im too lazy to switch my build just to have to remember what my conquest build was (including most recent tweaks) that i will have to switch back to in the hopes that i get a conquest map next time

either a seperate queue or being able to load up a saved build would greatly increase the number of people that would enjoy playing TDM, as would more maps (if it got a seperate queue)

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Because deathmatch has been an obsolete gameplay mode for 13 years now (I count Battlefield 1942 as the beginning of the Conquest Era).

in PvP

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

‘cos it has kitten design
’cos there isn’t an option to save a build for it

If it had some objective like holding an orb and the closer you are to the middle the more points your team gets… or something like this.

This would give a purpose of bunker builds too..

#I no words have"

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Honestly, for it to become popular it needs its own Queue like Stronghold supposedly is getting.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

i play death match on other games. I find that capturing game requires you more strategies , more synergies in builds and so on. For deathmatch the only strategy is to move correctly , to focus a target and to try to be +1 in fight as long as you can. It is fun , ok , but with capture game , you have the same requirements of deathmatch for winning a fight plus the fact that you have to control a map … it is deeper in my opinion . The fact that you can win a match “losing” fights if your opponents use the wrong rotation is quite great .

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

I LOVE deathmatch and Courtyard is my favorite map. Why is it so unpopular?

It seems that anyone that likes deathmatch already seeks it out through GvG, which guild halls will be officially introducing with HOT.

With new the Stronghold map introducing strongholds as a new match-type, do you think SH will be popular? Could they push deathmatch as a match-type too?

Because this game is not designed for deathmatch (Too much spammable stuff to make it anywhere near skilled)

Well zerg vs zerg heroes usually love deathmatch tho…since they have no idea on how to rotate, tactics and so on…

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

5 vs 5 death match its too messy and zergy in my opinion.

Plus since we all have healing the deathmatch itself its mroe about play in group, down one: we win or, they downed one of us, lets retreat, wait to the other one to respawn and try to down one of them.

In my opinion for death match to be popular they will neeed to give it its exclusive quee, a 3vs3 or 2vs2 enviroment, desactivate the basic healing skil and make it not respawnable. In other words an arena fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Scambug.3502

Scambug.3502

5v5 on such a small map is chaotic. Either reduce the number of players in it or make it much bigger.
Also we don’t have a build saving system and this map requires a different build than conquest for most people.

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

Because this game is not designed for deathmatch (Too much spammable stuff to make it anywhere near skilled)

Well zerg vs zerg heroes usually love deathmatch tho…since they have no idea on how to rotate, tactics and so on…

is it bad those zerg vs zerg heroes want something to have fun with? Its not that hard to make 3 deathmatch arenas 2vs2 3vs3 and queue for it…..I think many pple would play that

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

1) The constant respawn style of PvP means that games where one team is superior end up in long, drawn out blowouts. If there was no respawn (similar to WoW arena), it may be a different story.

2) There’s only 1 map.

I put most of my stock in point 1. ANet could either try to balance the game around making deathmatches tighter games (which I think is nigh impossible) or they could switch to a no respawn style. If they did a no respawn style, I imagine that people would run vastly different builds and that we’d also need a sudden death mechanic (something like a debuff that decreases everyone’s HP).

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Deathmatch (at least 5v5) in GW2 is a very different beast compared to GW1. GW2 has too much skill spam, too many AoEs, too much CC, and no resource management. The end result is a complete mess with everyone simply trying to use the max AoE spells all the time, and CC’ing the other team.

It’s just too fast and not strategic enough. Oh, and don’t forget minions/pets/illusions making it look like there are 20 instead of 10. A lot of “bling” adds to the trouble, making it just about impossible to see what’s happening.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Death match is the reason I won’t queue unranked. That’s a pity because I have always liked Skyhammer. Death Match is a poorly made map and there’s no strategy in it at all.

If I wanted to play zerg , I’d go to WvW and pick up a K train. Some like that game mode, but I don’t feel it fits in pvp.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Various reasons folks might rage:

• Snowball factor due to how the respawns work.
  • Once a team gets any kind of lead, they can win by just turtling.
  • For whatever reason, a lot of matches just end up as back-and-forths along one of the side passages.
  • Even more sensitive to team comp than conquest maps since it’s a straight fight, but it’s only in the de-facto solo queue.
  • Can’t actually complete half the dailies at all on this map.

I don’t hate it but I’ve literally never had a Courtyard game that was as fun as a random WvW 5-on-5 around a camp or whatever, so I really can’t say it’s a good map, either.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

(edited by ASP.8093)