Why is my MMR change so high?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m at ~100 games this season, however my rating change for each match seems to be increasing. All of my rating changes the past couple weeks have at the very least been +-30 with some going almost to 40. (my last match was -36)

I used to get much less deviation. Early in the season I was only getting rating changes in the teens.

My rating itself for this season has been all over the place, I’ve been from bronze to gold2 and back again then up again. I never seem to say in the same bracket for more than a couple matches.

The highest rating I’ve had is 1540ish the lowest rating I’ve had is 950.

I primarily play necro, but switch off to power warrior if the enemy comp isn’t necro friendly. (which is most of the time sadly.)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

This happens after taking breaks, but doesn’t really make sense for season play. We are looking to change this behavior for season 6.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

This happens after taking breaks, but doesn’t really make sense for season play. We are looking to change this behavior for season 6.

How long can breaks be before they start mucking with my rating?

I typically don’t do ranked for a couple days then binge queue. Are those couple day breaks really making that huge of a difference?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

How long can breaks be before they start mucking with my rating?

I typically don’t do ranked for a couple days then binge queue. Are those couple day breaks really making that huge of a difference?

It gets more volatile the longer you don’t play, so it depends.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I’m really glad to hear this. It’s absolutely being abused.

Players AFK for 6-7 days, get the full -700, and then catapult up the rankings faster than they would than if they played the same amount of games normally.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Posted by: Nova.3817

Nova.3817

funny enough this actually happened to me….. i took a 2 week break to play other games and just took a break from gw2…

i had dropped from gold to bronze…… after one day of playing (i dont recall the exact number of games) im very close to top 250 lol i felt like that was a insane rate of change but im not complaining..lol

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

I’m honestly surprised Evan didn’t reply with his standard, “here’s the matchmaking algorithm” again. Extra surprising that he owned it.

in PvP

Posted by: Zaerah.1630

Zaerah.1630

Yeah it is pretty crazy how volatile rating gets after not playing. Played today after a break and got +83 from first game , +60 from second and so on.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Aye, it is true. I didn’t play for about 4 days I think, real life stuff and things. When I came back I fell from 1st platinum to 2nd rank of gold in a severe losing streak.
It really felt that the system forced me to lose all these matches despite my best efforts, trying to come up with a strategy and rotation with my teammates. Most of situations I had were basicaly outplayed (it’s not that my team was bad, but the opposite team seemed to be always consisting of high ranked players.)

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’m honestly surprised Evan didn’t reply with his standard, “here’s the matchmaking algorithm” again. Extra surprising that he owned it.

At Least we know some things are being looked into for season 6, those patch notes will make or break us lol

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

He took the time to explain it, but that’s technically how Glicko2 works with increasing volatility to account for long periods of inactivity. Rating deviation (with dictates how volatile your rating is) depends on time since last “rating period”. That should only really be the case if a player goes for weeks without playing, not days. Not playing during the off-season would cause increased volatility as well, or volatility can be simply reset to the highest amount at the start of the next season.