Why is my match making raunchy lately?

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

So for the first 3 or 4 weeks of S6, I played between 1500 and 1600 rating solidly. My first 200+ games were played between 1500 and 1600, solidly. That’s a lot of games played between specifically 1500 and 1600. It would seem that match making was working.

In the last 4 days however, I am getting bad match streaks that are complete blowouts. I win 1 game for every 2 or 3 lost. These are those type of matches that result in 500 to 100 or worse. The matches I win, I have to carry so hard that it’s disgusting. The wins usually only happen on Legacy, when I am able to coordinate a team for a lord kill. I have almost dropped into silver rating now.

Serious question here for the devs:
Why am I “a gold division player, now close to silver”, repeatedly being put with teammates of silver and bronze players against duo que platinums, top 50 players and golds? And no, this isn’t exaggerated. Look through your records, check it out. Why is it happening all the time, all of a sudden? This has gone on for 20+ games deep and at various times of the day and night.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

In fact, if you look at this previous thread that I was writing: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/5-on-wins-20-on-loss-what/first#post6546749 You can see other records of my match making but at least those matches were winnable.

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Til raunchy has a different meaning in the US

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It’s because

d e d g a e m
e
d
g
a
e
m

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Trevor, I have to admit… You have told me many times in past seasons that matchmaking wasn’t the issue and that I simply needed to learn to play.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Low population. There is no reason for average player to do pvp atm.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Meh im still doing ok, yeah occasionally you get top players in a gold or plat game, i just look at it as an opportunity to test my skills against a quality player.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Meh im still doing ok, yeah occasionally you get top players in a gold or plat game, i just look at it as an opportunity to test my skills against a quality player.

Whenever I try this my whole team sees the top two duo-queueing together and quits before the game even starts, just afking in spawn and raging lol. There’s not much testing of skill to be done when it’s 1v5.

I would say on average the matches aren’t that extreme, at least during peak hours, though.

@OP: it might improve your matchmaking if you also try to only play ranked during peak hours and just go unranked outside of peak hours. That’s what I’ve been doing and my rating has stayed right around 1,600 this season. You’ll still get some blowouts, but maybe not as many. It could also help with the risk of losing 20 points vs winning 5 if you play less total matches, so you could get more points per win.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Whenever I try this my whole team sees the top two duo-queueing together and quits before the game even starts, just afking in spawn and raging lol. There’s not much testing of skill to be done when it’s 1v5.

I would say on average the matches aren’t that extreme, at least during peak hours, though.

@OP: it might improve your matchmaking if you also try to only play ranked during peak hours and just go unranked outside of peak hours. That’s what I’ve been doing and my rating has stayed right around 1,600 this season. You’ll still get some blowouts, but maybe not as many. It could also help with the risk of losing 20 points vs winning 5 if you play less total matches, so you could get more points per win.

That is not how it works once you climb higher lol. Since at high rating not many players queue, the MM just grabs anything from lower ranks and you have real clownfiesta for matches. I had silver players in my match day ago, Sind also mentioned yesterday he and Misha had silver players and he is legend lol.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Kako.1930

That is not how it works once you climb higher lol. Since at high rating not many players queue, the MM just grabs anything from lower ranks and you have real clownfiesta for matches. I had silver players in my match day ago, Sind also mentioned yesterday he and Misha had silver players and he is legend lol.

Ah, well my theory is bust then lol. I must just have better luck and be queuing at the same time as all the other 1,600+ rating players in NA or something. I know it happens where legends play silvers, but I thought it might not be as often when more people are queued up.

in PvP

Posted by: Julius Seizure.4985

Julius Seizure.4985

When you solo-queue, luck plays a bigger role in rating than we would like to admit. This is especially true if you play a more support-type class rather than a carry-friendly class (Thief). Team comp and skill level of team mates are highly variable, and this impacts classes that rely on synergy and support far more than decap/mobility/plus 1 classes. For instance, an Engineer is highly valuable so long as the players you are rezzing are competent. If you are the highest skilled player on your team and are playing Engineer, then by default the value of your rez depends entirely on the competency of the downed player, which in this case may be several tiers lower than you.

On top of this, a lot of people smurph to help friends artificially rise in rank. How many times have you seen a duo-queue with one borderline incompetent player with 0 top stats paired with someone that carried the opposing team while having 3-4 top stats (and being legitimately a good player well above everyone else)? Alt account smurphing is part of this luck equation.

The last thing that I can think of is that you may well have plateaued. This is the hardest to accept for players, The game may currently rate you higher than your actual skill level, and other more skilled players may have moved up the ladder and supplanted your rung. What you are experiencing may be a proper rebalance of an inflated ladder position.

in PvP

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

Yeah me and misha mostly queue at primetime 6PM-11PM EU time and we get players that are 800-900 rating lower than us sometimes. If we win +5 thats like a miracle, most games are +2 +3 and occasionally the +1 rating, a loss is -35 or more

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

in PvP

Kako.1930

Yeah me and misha mostly queue at primetime 6PM-11PM EU time and we get players that are 800-900 rating lower than us sometimes. If we win +5 thats like a miracle, most games are +2 +3 and occasionally the +1 rating, a loss is -35 or more

How many matches do you play? I think you win less points and lose more points the more games you play. (I’ve only played 104 matches total this season and win/lose about 14 points per match)

This season really seems to discourage playing more than the bare minimum number of games, imo.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Weren’t the high rated players the ones telling me; “learn to play” when I was complaining of the same thing?

I’m not unsympathetic, but I am laughing at the hypocrisy.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

bluri.2653

How many matches do you play? I think you win less points and lose more points the more games you play. (I’ve only played 104 matches total this season and win/lose about 14 points per match)

This season really seems to discourage playing more than the bare minimum number of games, imo.

We have played 107 matches in total so far

in PvP

bluri.2653

Weren’t the high rated players the ones telling me; “learn to play” when I was complaining of the same thing?

I do not have an issue with how the system is, I feel it’s fine if we lose -35 and win +3 etc cus we are by far the highest rated in EU, theres not anyone remotely close to us, the only bad thing i dislike is that to get even matches we have to lower our avg mmr so much

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I do not have an issue with how the system is, I feel it’s fine if we lose -35 and win +3 etc cus we are by far the highest rated in EU, theres not anyone remotely close to us, the only bad thing i dislike is that to get even matches we have to lower our avg mmr so much

Yeah but that’s an issue with:

1. Everyone on your level has essentially left the game providing very few who can even mechanically compete against you individually let alone as a seasoned pair.

2. The only “even” match for you guys would be scrims of either 2v2 up to 5v5 with organised teams but point 1 butts in and says nope.

Don’t mistake this for mockery, I think it must suck for you both and given what little I’ve seen of your stream while you adore the combat and would love 5v5s there just isn’t anything anymore. Which is a shame as I always enjoyed the weekly ESL 5v5s especially before HoT landed they were really enjoyable.

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

@ Ithilwen → I never said anything to you or anyone else about “learn to play”. My posting in this forum has been widely centered around the evaluation of match making quality, not general trolling. Click my profile, review my posts.

@ Julius → This has nothing to with plateauing. Read my post again. One could say I plateaued at 1500-1600, which is viable claim. But saying a sudden 20+ lose streak, where the enemy team has a legend, a platinum, 2 golds and a silver vs. my gold, silver, silver, bronze, bronze team, is not plateauing, that is bad match making. And from my understanding, the algorithm isn’t even supposed to work like that.

I’ve been taking screen shots of each ranked match played. I’ve been going through the names listed on the screenshots and writing the rating of the players by their names, so everyone can see how lopsided these matches are and that this has nothing to do with peak hour play or solo or duo. No, the match making is plainly stacking teams. With the kinds of ratings bouncing around out there, it could be making better matches but it choosing not to. I’ll be posting this stuff soon.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

@ Ithilwen -> I never said anything to you or anyone else about “learn to play”. My posting in this forum has been widely centered around the evaluation of match making quality, not general trolling. Click my profile, review my posts.

@ Julius -> This has nothing to with plateauing. Read my post again. One could say I plateaued at 1500-1600, which is viable claim. But saying a sudden 20+ lose streak, where the enemy team has a legend, a platinum, 2 golds and a silver vs. my gold, silver, silver, bronze, bronze team, is not plateauing, that is bad match making. And from my understanding, the algorithm isn’t even supposed to work like that.

I’ve been taking screen shots of each ranked match played. I’ve been going through the names listed on the screenshots and writing the rating of the players by their names, so everyone can see how lopsided these matches are and that this has nothing to do with peak hour play or solo or duo. No, the match making is plainly stacking teams. With the kinds of ratings bouncing around out there, it could be making better matches but it choosing not to. I’ll be posting this stuff soon.

The problem is the matchmaker can’t make matches fair due to how low the population is. In your above example you could have the matchmaker put teams into

Bronze, silver, gold, gold, platinum vs bronze, silver, silver, gold, legend to make it fair but we are assuming the plat and legend aren’t duo queuing.

When we put in the legend and plat duo we have to swap a gold for the plat, not so bad right? Except it is bad, the bronze and silver players will get roflstomped all match and won’t enjoy it and the legend and plat guy will be raging about how incompetent their team is and have to work over time to carry 2 silvers and a bronze (assuming the silvers aren’t just barely silver too).

So is it fair to ask Legends to team up with what can only be described as poor players? No, it’s as unfair as your match up example where one team is heavily stacked against the other. Duo queue was ok last season as we had the population for the matchmaker to work around it but now if the matchmaker has to put 2 silvers and a plat+legend combo in a match there’s no way without annoying people either double duo stomp or one-sided matches or high rated players being with people they really shouldn’t be.

It’s a no win scenario which has been caused by heavy handed rewards nerfs and a balance patch that changed very little in the meta causing the population to crash.

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

Yup I completely understand what you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that I’m seeing full solo matches that look like this:

• Legend, Platinum, Gold, Gold, Gold, Silver, Silver, Silver, Bronze, Bronze – all que’ing
  • Legend, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Silver go on red team
  • Gold, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Bronze go on blue team

That isn’t population problem, it’s a problem with the algorithm stacking teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

A lot of these bad match ups are due entirely to the builds in play. Every single hot build is so forgiving that it’s allowing people to place higher then they should be. which in turn is screwing up the matchmaker.

People forgot how to play, but they refuse to admit it. Since there mistakes are rewarded, they start to think there “pro’s”, I’ve seen alot of base commanders since my placement matches last week. you guy’s know the ones, they spend half the game on respawn and still think they know your class better then you do.

in PvP

Posted by: Ari.4023

Ari.4023

Yeah the ascended armor would be the ultimate lure for more players to jump in that pvp league. Anet has gone and shot that down hard.

Guess they do intend to kill pvp…

Yeah the stacked teams is real. It just doesn’t make any sense how it works.

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

#ClownFiesta

^_^

Attachments:

(edited by Rukia.9860)