Why is there no GvG in "Guildwars"?

in PvP

Posted by: Spartan.6123

Spartan.6123

With a title such as Guildwars, it would seem obvious to include battles between guilds. I’ve yet to understand why one of the most popular game modes in GW was cut from the second game. I have heard that there would be issues with the current combat system working for a GvG type match. That does not however imply that game content should be excluded, rather, it implies that there is a flaw in the battle system itself. I believe that GvG could be possible so long as the format of the battle was altered, as well as addition of skills for both weapon and utility slots to allow for more variety in combat.
In the first Guildwars, there was the flag capturing objective which was generally located in the center of the main battlefield which was used to increase the moral of a team. However, one objective would not be practical in Guildwars 2 because that would result in one large brawl at the center of the map and would likely be the determining factor for the match, unless perhaps it was a close fight between the two opposing teams. Instead there should be a blend of objectives. The ones that are present in the pvp arenas as of now are great examples: a flag stand (from the original Guildwars), capturable points, slaying certain NPC’s, the presence of a guild lord, and so on. These could be blended into a single game type on a fairly large arena, preferably set in Guild Halls (another part of the original Guildwars that should have been passed down to the second game), which would allow for more strategy within the game type.
I’ll now briefly touch on the battle system that is present in Guildwars 2 which is, more than anything else, responsible for GvG’s incompatibility with GW2. From what I can tell, the complication comes from two parts of the battle system: the lack of a support class and the lack of diversity that comes from the pre-set weapon skills and small amount of utility skills given to each class.
I believe that each problem has the same solution; by simply adding a wider variety of both attack and support skills for each class and allowing players to construct “builds” in addition to the current ability to alter their traits, the problem of support classes and diversity could be solved. It is understood that Arena Net chose to make Guildwars 2 the way they had so that it would be a more playable game for everyone, however this only allows limited diversity between characters and makes it more difficult to separate a good player from a more exceptional one. Providing more freedom to the classes and how their skills are set could only benefit the community of Guildwars. As of now, the only way to truly support an ally is to either attack those who are attacking them, or to cast an area of effect skill in their vicinity, such as a shout or a field spell. There are very few skills that can be directly cast on an ally to aid them in a fight. This is a problem in competitive play, and really doesn’t allow teammates to work optimally with one another which takes away from the overall pvp experience.
Currently there is a not a particularly broad choice of player vs. player game types, and there are now even fewer due to the removal of Paid Tournaments. The addition of Guild vs. Guild would be an update that has been much awaited for, and appreciated by a vast majority of pvp regulars. The only way for GvG to be a conceivable player vs. player game type is to create both a setting and battle system that allows for greater strategic planning than is currently available in GW2. Guild vs. Guild was never simply a fight between two guilds; it was a battle of skill, and even more strategy, which ultimately was the reason for its success as a competitive game type, and is more than an adequate reason for reapplying it to Guildwars 2.

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

Why is there no arenas in a game made by ARENAnet?

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Spartan.6123

Well, by “arena” I only meant a setting in which pvp takes place, such as the ones that currently exist. The scale for a GvG match would need to be much larger than one of the current pvp maps in order to make it more difficult for one team to completely run-over the opposing team.

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Why is there no ’’World’’ in World of Warcraft? Well, I don’t know!

But the name Guild Wars is all from a lore standpoint, not a mehcanic.

in PvP

Spartan.6123

I understand what you are saying about the name pertaining to the storyline, but the title of my post should not be the only thing looked at. I mentioned that GvG was a very popular game type for player vs. player and again the main problem is there is a lack of variety in skills for the game. It is a much needed update that I know would take a considerable amount of time to accomplish, and one most players would enjoy.

As for there being no world in World of Warcraft, there was one in the form of a large-scale environment players could interact with. Though the argument is somewhat off-topic to begin with.

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Because this game is massive letdown from GW1 in every single aspect except pve?

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Guild wars is a lore.

Because this game is massive letdown from GW1 in every single aspect except pve?

someone has tinted glasses syndrome.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Guild wars is a lore.

someone has tinted glasses syndrome.

You are right, graphics being several generations later, are much better as well, i stand corrected…

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Its pvp. Anet went with the pve crowd so they didn’t focus on making cash off of pvp players. Look for ESO.

in PvP

Spartan.6123

Its pvp. Anet went with the pve crowd so they didn’t focus on making cash off of pvp players. Look for ESO.

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with the acronym ESO. What does it stand for?

in PvP

Spartan.6123

Also any positive/negative feedback on my post would be much appreciated. I would like to start a conversation with this post; if I failed to mention any relevant issues or if you have any practical ideas to add I would be more than happy to discuss them.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with the acronym ESO. What does it stand for?

Elder Scrolls Online.

The whole conversation with other game modes has been going on since launch. Anet hasn’t done anything about it. There’s tons of posts regarding game modes.

I really wish there was a concrete answer as to why there aren’t more game modes that are just for fun. The devs said they tried other game modes during development and THEY said it wasn’t fun. Conquest makes me want to throw up now after 8 months and I just want something different. It’s to the point where in hotjoins, no one plays for the objective. In tPvP, it’s premade vs pugs and no one wants to pug tournaments anymore because it affects rating. People just want to duel other players and kill or just play anything other than conquest. Other game modes don’t have to be competitive at all (that will come naturally), just having variety for pvpers will do a lot to attract more players to pvp. GvG, KotH, CTF, TDM, the possibilities are endless and yet we’re stuck with conquest.

(edited by SuperHaze.4210)

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Lol implying ESO will have balanced or good pvp… don’t get me wrong I am really looking forward to the game but come on. The only people who could possibly make good fun balanced pvp in an online game were GW1 devs and they are all but gone now.

You know why GvG isn’t in the game? They wouldn’t know the first thing to do with it.

Much easier to make a bunch of boring conquest maps.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Lol implying ESO will have balanced or good pvp… don’t get me wrong I am really looking forward to the game but come on. The only people who could possibly make good fun balanced pvp in an online game were GW1 devs and they are all but gone now.

You know why GvG isn’t in the game? They wouldn’t know the first thing to do with it.

Much easier to make a bunch of boring conquest maps.

Maps other than conquest maps exists because the devs created and tested them before deciding and further developing conquest maps. They should just release the other game modes that were already developed and let the players decide if it’s fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Iniquity.5290

Iniquity.5290

Because the developers for Guildwars2 are a bunch of idiots, frankly. Well, the art team is good. <3

Late September last year, I was standing in the mists on Storm bluff isle and the question was asked about the lack of GvG. Jon Peters (in addition to remarks claiming SC2 isn’t a real E-sport) said that if players wanted GvG they should go play the original Guildwars, as Guildwars2 is meant to be a new game.
[and yea Jon, on the off chance you read this I still have the screen shot saved if you try to deny these assertions].

Problem is, they destroyed the original Guildwars. The developers intentionally made absurd pvp balance patches (e.g. Smiters boon nurf) they made 0 attempt to balance the game and simply demonstrated a lack of care for the game. The developers broke the original game, and the hope was that it was because they were focused rebuilding the same game in the sequel.

Well a “sequel” implies a continuation of the same game, not an entirely new one. Needless to say, none of the original pvp formats were preserved and within 6 months the new pvp system had a less supported community than what the original game had by its factions release. Of course Arena.net wont release actual census numbers so these assertions have to be inferred by the barren pvp lobbies instead of with quantifiable graphs.

All of these purchases, including expansion purchases of Eye of the North in a game already perceived as relatively dead were on the hope that the 2nd game would make it worth it. Yet here we are.

in PvP

Mathias.9657

^bingo, that was quite insulting when he said we should “play that game instead” when they don’t even support it anymore, they’re trying their hardest to forget it ever even existed. Yeah let me get right on a dead game that the devs don’t even care about.. very good alternative Jon.

You guys put everything in GW1 on automated now and don’t even have the decency to adjust for time zones, that is horrible. I cherish my memories of GW but I kind of wish I never got into it and just stuck with WoW, then I wouldn’t be eternally disappointed with GW2 and arena net.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

thanks Iniquity sharing everyone’s opinion about the game .
everyday i log in the forum i just think what u wrote and i am realle sad and disappointed about anet behaviour.

gw2 was the worst game bough in the last years (seconded only to sacred2). i was one of the most hyped for gw2. now i am one of ones who hope in a fast death for this game.

in PvP

Iniquity.5290

Sadly I would like to see this game die fast too. I want Anet to be forced to admit how badly they screwed up so that they can create a new game that is actually worth my purchase.

I am really tired of playing league of legends, but it is going to be the only stable non-RTS E-sport we have for a long time it seems. It is sad, I genuinely thought this game could have been a revolution for competitive gaming.

in PvP

Spartan.6123

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me SuperHaze. I remember that patch on GW1, it destroyed most of my builds for both pvp and pve. I would probably still be playing GW1 if not for that. GW2 truly does have the potential to be a good game, it will just take a significant update (or at least in my opinion it will). The pvp is just fare too stale to hold really anyone’s interest for very long. I’m acutally kind of burnt-out at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

i miss dark age of camelot.

smite clerics unite!

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in PvP

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

lol wasn’t a revolution for esports so shortly after release, it takes a long time to get to that point. even starcraft was terrible for esports until 1.14

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in PvP

Posted by: Hugs.1856

Hugs.1856

Can we stop already with that E-Sport obsession?

Instead of indulging in that horrible horrible word, can we, the community, the developers and the advertisers, focus on making a “simple” competitive game?

It’s so much more important to have:

- a well structured competition with working solo ladder, team ladder, seasons and tournaments,

- a much smoother learning curve including better info on what killed you, real tutorials on how builds work and what classes do what and cleaner team fights,

- An interserver-mist-wide party chat with language separation

- an overall polished game with mechanics, combat, balance and map design pushed to its perfection.

If Anet can achieve this and the pvp community grows to be truly alive, then and only then can we maybe consider the possibility of perhaps going E-Sport.

But before that we should just forget about that word.

And Anet’s marketing team needs to realise that it’s not enough to advertise a game as e-sport to make one… There’s a reason why no MMO ever went E-Sport and that if gw1 went closer to it than anyone else it’s because it was a CORPG developed with pvp as the focus.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Can we stop already with that E-Sport obsession?

Instead of indulging in that horrible horrible word, can we, the community, the developers and the advertisers, focus on making a “simple” competitive game?

It’s so much more important to have:

- a well structured competition with working solo ladder, team ladder, seasons and tournaments,

- a much smoother learning curve including better info on what killed you, real tutorials on how builds work and what classes do what and cleaner team fights,

- An interserver-mist-wide party chat with language separation

- an overall polished game with mechanics, combat, balance and map design pushed to its perfection.

If Anet can achieve this and the pvp community grows to be truly alive, then and only then can we maybe consider the possibility of perhaps going E-Sport.

But before that we should just forget about that word.

And Anet’s marketing team needs to realise that it’s not enough to advertise a game as e-sport to make one… There’s a reason why no MMO ever went E-Sport and that if gw1 went closer to it than anyone else it’s because it was a CORPG developed with pvp as the focus.

You Sir, deserve a medal!

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

This game needs GvG and HA badly. The conquest mode is a joke and will never be a hit. Even with the new excitement of custom servers and cheaterboards it’s still never going to take off.

GvG
HA
FA
JQ
AB
RA
CA
TA
HB

in PvP

Posted by: mysza.1092

mysza.1092

I love GW2 but lack of guild battles make me sad They remainds me best time I ‘ve spent in Guild wars ( even it wasn’t top of the ladder). Cheers

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

GW2 should never be left with one PvP Game Mode, especially not Conquest.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

nakoda.4213

what really blows my mind is that competitive games have existed in some form since … civilization showed up.

why is it, more than seven thousand years later, a multi million dollar software engineering firm cannot manage to calculate a simple tournament scoring system?

if you REALLY need help, go to a pee wee hockey league and ask one of the six year old players how scoring works, they’ll tell you all about it.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

To clear something up, the game name ‘’Guild Wars’’ does not refer to guilds challenging eachother. The title is based on the War between the guilds such as the legions of the charr, zaithans forces, the humans, etc etc.

This game doesn’t have gvg yet because arenanet doesnt want it in their game. Probably because you’ll get even more kitten than what it is now and the players found their own solution already by going into WvW and duel eachother there so there’s no need for anet to make a whole new feature.

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.5620

Mike.5620

This question is asked at least once a week in map chat, forums or mumble.

in PvP

Posted by: leungclj.4915

leungclj.4915

This question is asked at least once a week in map chat, forums or mumble.

when is GvG back in GW2?

in PvP

Posted by: SomeoneElse.3685

SomeoneElse.3685

You all have to realize that ArenaNet’s goal right after the launch was to fix and improve any already existing mechanics. For the first 6 months after launch they were really just focusing on getting the game to work as it should and improving what already exists. I’ve researched a lot about what ArenaNet is doing atm and the only thing I can conclude is that they are changing some stuff so later it is easier to add things such as GvG to the game. I didn’t play GW1 so I don’t know how they messed up the game but would you seriously play something that has broken mechanics.
You can’t expect them to change all the things in 1 months and still keep the game good for everyone

Hatarius [FG]
Gunnars Hold EU

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Nowadays it’s standard to have observe-mode / custom servers and leaderboards in a game. They released GW2 just too early with the consequence that 80% of all players left after 1 month. So now they working under pressure to implement these futures for the rest of us. Imagine if custom arenas/spec-mode and leaderboards were there after 1 month of release. Would be a completely different game.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

SomeoneElse.3685

Nowadays it’s standard to have observe-mode / custom servers and leaderboards in a game. They released GW2 just too early with the consequence that 80% of all players left after 1 month. So now they working under pressure to implement these futures for the rest of us. Imagine if custom arenas/spec-mode and leaderboards were there after 1 month of release. Would be a completely different game.

I don’t think its Arena Nets fault it was released to early, its probably NC Softs

Hatarius [FG]
Gunnars Hold EU

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I don’t think its Arena Nets fault it was released to early, its probably NC Softs

I think so too. But as I don’t know it exactly I just put “they” as a placeholder.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Hugs.1856

Hugs.1856

The release was a commercial success: before back to school, before Christmas, with almost no direct competitor at the horizon.

But the PvP couldn’t satisfy the early adopters, the most passionate and dedicated players.

Gw1 fans left the game when they realised how different (opposite?) the gameplay was compared to the combat depth and team interaction they loved in the first game.

Worst all the new players and more generally the ones that loved the gameplay were left with 0 competition at all for 6-7 months. No matchmaking means no competition. Period. That’s the most basic feature any competitive game must have.

It can be matchmaking through an algorithm or “manual” with tournaments, but it needs to be there. Gw2 was a pvp game at release. It just wasn’t competitive at all.

And today’s not april 2005 or lol’s release. It is naive to think that because games could afford to take months/years to roll their competitive features back then Anet could do the same in 2012.

The relationship between the community and the pvp devs is now quite tense to say the least. It will take time, actual improvements and a lots of PR before the trust returns 100% – if that’s even possible.

Only time will tell if they can recover from the initial fall. On the good side, no pvp game came out since release that could be a serious challenger to gw2. Not something to be proud of as a dev, but definitely positive:p

in PvP

Posted by: TeaDoa.5968

TeaDoa.5968

I believe there is Guild Battles but you are looking in the wrong area. I said it before there old GvG is what the WvWvW is. No it is not the same but is similar in many aspects.

in PvP

SomeoneElse.3685

I believe there is Guild Battles but you are looking in the wrong area. I said it before there old GvG is what the WvWvW is. No it is not the same but is similar in many aspects.

Zerging sometimes ruins it :/

Hatarius [FG]
Gunnars Hold EU

in PvP

nakoda.4213

You all have to realize that ArenaNet’s goal right after the launch was to fix and improve any already existing mechanics. For the first 6 months after launch they were really just focusing on getting the game to work as it should and improving what already exists.

and you would say they succeeded in that endeavour?

why does every profession forum have a substantive bug list, each of which has bugs that have existed since beta and continue to exist today?

honestly, I would be all for 6 months of no new content for 6 months of game engine repair.

“we cannot allow you to move UI elements because they are hard coded in to the mechanics of the game”

what? a UI is a graphical box with coordinates and colours applied to it. our health bubble could be a pretty pink dodecahedron with sparkles and sitting up in the top left of the screen, wouldnt matter, it’s just a box with numbers.

furthermore, those boxes that matter, ie skill slots, are tied to teh keybind, so how does the engine care if “playerbind X” is located at “X,Y” or “Y,X” on the screen?

i’ll tell you why, because Anet is lazy and when pressured with release dates decided to just hard wire everything together with binder twine and toss us a bail of game that they could sort out some time later after collecting their cheques. funnily enough, collecting their cheques by adding new skins and other pay to use options are more important than fixing the bail of game because 200 million gross in sales wasn’t enough to get the ball rolling.

i swear that mmos are getting worse for this and not better because developers are HOPING that the gamers will just “be okay with development cycles of mmos”.

problem is, most people seem to be.

so to bring it back to topic at hand:

the replies of “cuz gvg isn’t a game mode, it is lore” are those people okay waiting for years for a finished product they have already paid for. those who are wondering where the gvg is are not okay with it.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

in PvP

Spartan.6123

To clear something up, the game name ‘’Guild Wars’’ does not refer to guilds challenging eachother. The title is based on the War between the guilds such as the legions of the charr, zaithans forces, the humans, etc etc.

This game doesn’t have gvg yet because arenanet doesnt want it in their game. Probably because you’ll get even more kitten than what it is now and the players found their own solution already by going into WvW and duel eachother there so there’s no need for anet to make a whole new feature.

I’ve already replied to a similar comment about “Guildwars” pertaining to the story. This is true but the title of the post was just a tool to get the reader’s attention. The majority of my post is implying that GvG is a good game type and should be implimented due to its popularity in the previous Guildwars game. If you read through my origional post I didn’t really talk about the name being a factor.

As for there being “no need for anet to make a whole new feature” my only reply is a question: Have you actually seen the state of spvp lately? There is a single gametype that is becoming boring to most players. There DOES need to be new features for pvp because the players who enjoy that game type are also playing Guildwars 2. Anet shouldn’t be neglecting a good portion of their game’s population, regardless of what Anet believes. It’s like a book, once published it may have the author’s name on it, but it belongs to the public. At that point, the book is subject to their views and interpretations of what the piece should be, much more so than even the author themselves.

in PvP

nakoda.4213

except that anet had you agree to an agreement that says they can republish the book as they see fit when they see fit, regardless of “critical response”

in PvP

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

Just to be clear: i hate it when people say there have to be guild battles because the game is called Guild Wars.

That is simply not true! The game is called Guild Wars because of the wars the guilds fought ages ago!

Having said that… it really sucks that they haven’t included GvG >.< it was so awesome in GW1

in PvP

Spartan.6123

There is next to no similarities between GvG and WvW. World vs World is just a game of “whoever has the bigger army” Not that it can’t be entertaining at times, however to compare it to GvG is just nonsense. The two game types likely couldn’t be further apart and the only trait they have in common is the fact that they share the title of “PvP.”

in PvP

Spartan.6123

Just to be clear: i hate it when people say there have to be guild battles because the game is called Guild Wars.

That is simply not true! The game is called Guild Wars because of the wars the guilds fought ages ago!

Having said that… it really sucks that they haven’t included GvG >.< it was so awesome in GW1

I refer to my previous reply to BlackDevil, the first paragraph two posts above yours. (sorry, it’s like the third time i’ve had to explain it and it’s just easier to do it this way.)

in PvP

Iniquity.5290

:( I miss my guildwars.

in PvP

Mathias.9657

I think so too. But as I don’t know it exactly I just put “they” as a placeholder.

We weren’t allowed to have factions thanks to NCsoft, pretty sure ANet are not in control of their own game, at least not fully. We had multiple districts with different cultures in divinity reach at beta, just like we had multiple game modes being tested before GW2 was released.

Really who knows, all I know is conquest sucks and if we can’t have more game modes because of e-sports then I don’t want e-sports. Same goes for variety.. I want more skills, and if e-sports or balance is preventing that then screw it, let’s have an unbalanced, but more fun MMO.

GW1 will never make itself into to GW2, that much is obvious but right now this game is nothing short of bland. Sacrificing variety for balance is never a good thing imo… at least not in pve. I so miss build wars.

in PvP

Spartan.6123

We weren’t allowed to have factions thanks to NCsoft, pretty sure ANet are not in control of their own game, at least not fully. We had multiple districts with different cultures in divinity reach at beta, just like we had multiple game modes being tested before GW2 was released.

Really who knows, all I know is conquest sucks and if we can’t have more game modes because of e-sports then I don’t want e-sports. Same goes for variety.. I want more skills, and if e-sports or balance is preventing that then screw it, let’s have an unbalanced, but more fun MMO.

GW1 will never make itself into to GW2, that much is obvious but right now this game is nothing short of bland. Sacrificing variety for balance is never a good thing imo… at least not in pve. I so miss build wars.

I completely agree.

in PvP

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

With a title such as Guildwars, it would seem obvious to include battles between guilds. I’ve yet to understand why one of the most popular game modes in GW was cut from the second game. I have heard that there would be issues with the current combat system working for a GvG type match. That does not however imply that game content should be excluded, rather, it implies that there is a flaw in the battle system itself. I believe that GvG could be possible so long as the format of the battle was altered, as well as addition of skills for both weapon and utility slots to allow for more variety in combat.
In the first Guildwars, there was the flag capturing objective which was generally located in the center of the main battlefield which was used to increase the moral of a team. However, one objective would not be practical in Guildwars 2 because that would result in one large brawl at the center of the map and would likely be the determining factor for the match, unless perhaps it was a close fight between the two opposing teams. Instead there should be a blend of objectives. The ones that are present in the pvp arenas as of now are great examples: a flag stand (from the original Guildwars), capturable points, slaying certain NPC’s, the presence of a guild lord, and so on. These could be blended into a single game type on a fairly large arena, preferably set in Guild Halls (another part of the original Guildwars that should have been passed down to the second game), which would allow for more strategy within the game type.
I’ll now briefly touch on the battle system that is present in Guildwars 2 which is, more than anything else, responsible for GvG’s incompatibility with GW2. From what I can tell, the complication comes from two parts of the battle system: the lack of a support class and the lack of diversity that comes from the pre-set weapon skills and small amount of utility skills given to each class.
I believe that each problem has the same solution; by simply adding a wider variety of both attack and support skills for each class and allowing players to construct “builds” in addition to the current ability to alter their traits, the problem of support classes and diversity could be solved. It is understood that Arena Net chose to make Guildwars 2 the way they had so that it would be a more playable game for everyone, however this only allows limited diversity between characters and makes it more difficult to separate a good player from a more exceptional one. Providing more freedom to the classes and how their skills are set could only benefit the community of Guildwars. As of now, the only way to truly support an ally is to either attack those who are attacking them, or to cast an area of effect skill in their vicinity, such as a shout or a field spell. There are very few skills that can be directly cast on an ally to aid them in a fight. This is a problem in competitive play, and really doesn’t allow teammates to work optimally with one another which takes away from the overall pvp experience.
Currently there is a not a particularly broad choice of player vs. player game types, and there are now even fewer due to the removal of Paid Tournaments. The addition of Guild vs. Guild would be an update that has been much awaited for, and appreciated by a vast majority of pvp regulars. The only way for GvG to be a conceivable player vs. player game type is to create both a setting and battle system that allows for greater strategic planning than is currently available in GW2. Guild vs. Guild was never simply a fight between two guilds; it was a battle of skill, and even more strategy, which ultimately was the reason for its success as a competitive game type, and is more than an adequate reason for reapplying it to Guildwars 2.

Guilds versus Guilds… who’d-uh-thunk it might make sense?

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Let me tell you a story, about how this all came to be (in my opinion): ANet is intent on making this game an e-sport. Not now, but in the future. Maybe distant future, but still. That is the goal they are working towards. All e-sport games are 5v5, therefore that is the format of the initial game mode. They did internal testing, even before there were beta weekends, and assessed, that conquest mode offered what was needed to make the matches dynamic, strategic and interesting to watch, as opposed to deathmatch, that was stale and boring to watch. Even if maybe more fun to play (the other game modes being traditionally more of a “for fun” modes). As the game neared completion, there was more and more pressure from NC Soft to get the game released as soon as possible, since it would be the only new MMO on the market at the time (ideal situation) AND the game didn’t need polished pvp to be successful, seeing as WvW and PvE were ready and finished. ANet didn’t like this, however they had little choice in the matter, so they went along with it and released the game. The game was a great success and earned huge revenue, however seeing as pvp was not polished, people didn’t play it as much as the other game modes and hence, was generating no revenue. So ANet didn’t really see all that much of a reason to invest money and work into finishing pvp, since it wasn’t generating any money. This has changed somewhere around Christmas, when a decision has been made to give pvp a second chance. Some development time has been invested into turning the old, unpopular 3 match 8 team system into 1 round 2 team system, and all of a sudden pvp became very popular (for a short while). This has shown ANet, that there indeed is potential in keeping the pvp player base, and further development has begun. In the last three months, we have seen more pvp features than in the other five combined. So basically, pvp hasn’t been of interest for the major part of time the game is out. The little of what was left of the community that once came to the game to play pvp was, and still is, expecting features much more important to the health of the game than different game modes. And as we can see in the mists, it’s starting to bear some fruit (shoutcasters coming to the game, old good players returning, ect.).

Now let’s imagine, that somewhere in all of this, a GvG would be implemented, or 1v1, or something different. There is a significant enough number of players yearning for such a game mode. Now, they are saying that having a game mode in itself is enough, and it wouldn’t matter if it was balanced, since it would be just for fun. Remember when ANet released spirit watch? I can still smell the aftertaste of all the tears about ele and/or ranger running the orb. And it was supposed to be a step towards gametype variety with implementing a “capture the flag” style map, where you didn’t actually have to use conquest mechanics to win at all. People are lying sods, that don’t even know themselves enough to think it all over and admit what they truly want. The simple and undeniable truth is, that the prevalent game mode is, and always will be 5v5 conquest. I am wishing you all GvG junkies good luck with having your features implemented, I truly do. Just think it all over though, and consider if it’s worth having an unbalanced, unpolished game mode that wouldn’t receive any further attention, and would be only detrimental to the true mode of the game, because that’s all you are EVER going to get from this game.

Disclaimer: Anything and everything that I have written in this post is purely a matter of opinion and is in no way criticism of ANet, seeing as I came to like in the past few months, where this game is headed. Cheers ~

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Don’t blame NCSoft IMO. They are also publishing Wildstar and Carbine studios aren’t releasing the game without leaderboards, ranked and Unranked battlegrounds, 2,3& 5 man team arenas all with built in Elo ratings. There’s even a warplot mode for building forts etc in pvp and fully customizable player housing.

Arena net made thier decisions on thier own.