Why is there no variation in sPvP format?

in PvP

Posted by: redshark.8517

redshark.8517

In the current map, there are 3 control points. Next map – 3 control points. Previous map – 3 control points. Different map – 3 control points. Other map – 3 control points. Yes, there’s gimmick 2, which is the same as gimmick 1, just with extra gimmick, and then there’s gimmick 3, but when you boil it all down, every map, every fight is 3 control points.

No capture the flag. No take the enemy base. No sabotage the enemy base. No ffa. No team deathmatch. Seriously, aren’t you imagining 20 different game formats that’s you’d rather play than 3 control points?

There’s really no variation even in the map. 5 control points? 7? One map is a rectangle, and the others are square. Really? That’s all ya got? Where’s the 5v5 map and the 50v50 map?

Am I the only one that thinks that regardless of class balance sPvP will never be fun because it will never be different?

in PvP

Posted by: CeCaKonVeu.5734

CeCaKonVeu.5734

100% agreed.
Maps are fun, spvp is fun… but will get old very fast.

I know many people didnt like WoW battlegrounds but it was more of class balance issue, as a rogue it was heaven in there :p
Anyway for sure WoW battlegrounds were all completely different : size of team , objectives and related tactics.

in PvP

Posted by: Pondrow.2041

Pondrow.2041

This is one of the biggest complaints I hear. All the maps are pretty much the same. Sure you have an underwater area in one and a trebuchet in another, but it’s really the same thing with a very small addition. There should be some capture the flag type maps and maybe some larger maps (but smaller than WvW).

in PvP

Posted by: miracle.4216

miracle.4216

+1 on this because I just wrote a post with some suggestions like TDM with QuakeLive freeze tag twist, Capture the Leader and CTF.

Point capping is BORING. Never liked Jade Quary in GW1 and don’t like it here. I don’t want to come across any point capping maps at all. It should be totally separate.

in PvP

Posted by: Vlaid.5790

Vlaid.5790

Yes….I would like to see different game types. Unfortunately the pvp is not balanced very well to accomodate different gametypes. It seems like the mechanics and professions were designed (PVP) for this one specific gametype. Can you imagine trying to play CTF with the way some classes work atm? It would be kind of silly.

in PvP

miracle.4216

Vlaid, I disagree, one could say the very same thing about this cap point system. What about TDM or Capture the Leader? There are many other FUN game types that can be added.

I’m not crazy about CTF but the same way some classes wouldn’t defend a cap point alone, some just shouldn’t run the flag. It’s not really a valid point against different game types.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcturus.5846

Arcturus.5846

Agreed. Most laziest PvP design I have ever seen… even SWTOR had more unique Warzones (I died a little saying that). I was hoping there would be a Fort Aspenwood stle map or GvG but all we got was a GvG style map that still uses the 500 points 3 nodes system.

in PvP

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

I agree. It is very boring and this is coming from the gw2 pvp fanatic. But hey, it’s been out for a month. Remember WoW when its pvp first came out? Give it more time and I’m sure more interesting maps will come along.

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Maps are boring and the camera is a problem sometimes in buildins or near buildings or with trees around. I want some arena like maps without buildings. Just a few ruin castle walls or something to block line of sight maybe.

in PvP

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

Agree, the variation is lacking greatly.

in PvP

Posted by: psykobabble.8095

psykobabble.8095

Agree i’ve been pvpin’ less and less lately because i’m tired of the same stale thing

in PvP

Posted by: Sjach Darasv.3729

Sjach Darasv.3729

Lol at cap the flag, if they did that mesmer portal would need to be disable in that mode, so would the thiefs ability to stealth while holding the flag.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Posted by: Nyota.7062

Nyota.7062

We need Skrittball.

Dolyak Engineer/Thief – Kodash (EU)

in PvP

Posted by: Ergo Proxy.6219

Ergo Proxy.6219

I want to play push the cart in spvp… But really some more modes will come soon I hope. I love spvp but the maps get a little old after a while.

in PvP

Posted by: Idiopathicus.5927

Idiopathicus.5927

The problem is that the game wants to be an eSport. I don’t hear anyone taking complains of Dota 2 lacking map variety seriously. Sure, you CAN have more map types and still be a valid eSport but the balancing required becomes MUCH more difficult for every new map type. Plus, GW2 wants people to play as a team. Pickup games of CTF in any game I have ever played devolve into a large fight in a big open area, with only 1 or 2 people actually trying to get/defend a flag. I understand that tournament would be much more strategic yes, so I wouldn’t care if they added it there, but again the balance is going to be awful.

For that same reason they won’t be adding a “Team Deathmatch” because in this game especially, with no “healer” you don’t have much in the way of “Team” going on usually. Can you support your team? Yes. Can you focus fire a target? Yes. But what if the enemy team has, let’s say, two Necros with the “revive 3 fallen allies” skill each. Maybe a guardian with the bubble/revive. Good luck dropping AND killing/stomping 5 people in a small area. With no objectives there would be no reason to go anywhere else, and with good teams it would devolve into chain revives and 20 minutes of the most boring action ever. I’m imagining the worst part of WAR’s keep sieges, the top of the stair slaughters.

Anyway, I enjoy the capture points style gameplay, and as someone who only does sPVP and probably won’t ever touch tPVP, I really don’t want a CTF mode added to sPVP. Would i like some more innovation? Sure, but doing that and not screwing it up is hard. Heck, think of SWTORs innovation, Hutt Ball. It sounded awesome, and the first couple of games were great until people figured out how to exploit the weaknesses of the map. It devolved into one of the most hated maps in the game (I understand that it became hated for the Empire long before the Republic just because it was the only map where the same faction could fight, and it was used to ease population imbalance causing longer queues).

Just my 2cents, I’ve only been PVPing in GW2 for a short while so it could very well be massively wrong, again it is just what I feel at the moment.

in PvP

redshark.8517

“even SWTOR had more unique Warzones (I died a little saying that).” I had that same thought and it gave me a headache.

“Give it more time and I’m sure more interesting maps will come along.” I really have to disagree with this statement. First of all, this is a sequel. Anything they did in the first game should have come over to this one as well. Sequels are for expansion, not retraction. Second, we’re way past the point where mmo’s can pretend they’re being innovative. Steam right now has 36 mmo’s available (40 on the list, one is an expansion and 4 are Guild Wars games).

I remember playing Halo 2 way too much. If you won a few games you’d go up in rank, lost a few, you’d go down, so that eventually everyone would kind of filter out to playing against people with similar skill levels, and you always had the opportunity to improve. I just can’t forgive an ostensibly PvP centric game for only having one gameplay mode and no matchmaking (and no, the “you’ve played longer so you must be better” idea does not count). It’s 2012kitten

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Kind of a useless thread. They said they’d explore other map options when things get calmer, but that Conquest will be the primary map type.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

listen to milo everyone he says the truth. really!

for the record, GW2 has the LORE of GW1, but it is another kind of game; so we should stop thinking we can have back – if the don’t want it anymore – GvG, or ascent or whatever.
game was released 20days ago. i think that for the end of the month they will probably put some great new fix..i really hope.

in PvP

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Even if ArenaNet add a plethora of additional maps, only have conquest will shorten the longevity of PvP by a lot. Even with the gimmicky mechanics of each map. They’re nice, but they don’t change the fact that the matches are still capture points.

I don’t even care or expect additional modes for competitive PvP. At least add them to hot join, where the majority of their demographic is. You don’t even need to balance around it, they’ve already said they will turn a blind eye to WvWvW.

Some game mode suggestions:
-Capture the Flag
-Deathmatch (8v8, limited amount of spawns for each team, first to zero loses)
-Arena (2v2, 3v3, 5v5 deathmatch)
-Rabbit
-FFA (last one standing?)
-Something akin to Alterac Valley/Isle of Conquest (first to break into the enemy base and kill the boss wins)
-Payload (Team Fortress)
-King of the Hill
-MOBA

Anything you could think of basically. Those are just a bunch off the top of my head.

And I second the SWTOR thing. It does kill me a bit, but Huttball and Voidstar were so much fun, and pretty unique in their execution. Jade Quarry in GW1 was a neat twist to Conquest as well and could realistically even be added for tournaments, too bad I hated the aesthetics.

(edited by Larynx.2453)

in PvP

Posted by: Archetype.3582

Archetype.3582

Not only why are all of the maps the same, but why is capture the points the only game mode? Why is there no deathmatch or capture the flag or assault the keep? Anything like that! I am sure they will add some in the future, but I was VERY surprised to see only one type of game in a supposedly PvP focused game.

in PvP

Posted by: Tirisha.4723

Tirisha.4723

I was shocked when I realized Conquest was the only type of map for spvp.

After coming from SWTOR which wasn’t originally even a heavy PVP focused game,
into one I thought was supposed to be geared towards PVP and the only map option they have for SPVP is not even a good one.

All the SWTOR WZs are more interesting and more involved than Conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: Infidel.8412

Infidel.8412

I like conquest. I did not at all like SWTOR warzones. I don’t know how people are missing the whole conquest is more entertaining for people to watch (e-sports) which is what anet wants to do with sPvP. And lol @ the “50v50” idea…come on.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Why are there no variations in basketball? all you got is a ball and 2 rings?

in PvP

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

i completely agree.

also, before they introduce capture-the-flag,
they should first fix the pathing/teleporting issues most such skills have.

ps: i just want huttball !! =(

in PvP

miracle.4216

They’re probably going to release other game types in the future. I just can’t fathom for the life of me as to why they chose cap points/conquest as the game mode for release??

That is the WORST choice for PVP. Jade Quary was always full of PvEers. PvPers want game types where the ultimate goal is to destroy the other team. I’m hoping for either TDM or Capture the Leader. If only 1 can be implemented, I’d rather it not be CTF because that’s another similar “conquest” style game mode although I’m not opposed to having it in as long as TDM and hopefully CTL are added.

I would imagine that within 6 months they will release something else but that is just way too long. I’m BORED.

in PvP

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

Because that’s the only way to officially play basketball.

You failed with this because PvP has a ton of game modes and only 1 is being used.

I also think they said they are balancing the game through conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

U should watch this (diablo III , 4v4 arenas ) . And if u still insist i wont be a hassle for u :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1MNiM3Wfz4

Just to immagine without LoS/silly obstacles + the ability to respawn

in PvP

Posted by: Psilocin.1435

Psilocin.1435

That’s a terrible analogy, sorry. PvP covers such a large variation of game modes across hundreds of games. Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Dota 2, Battlefield, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, even basic flash based web-browser games have are entirely Player versus Player focused or have elements of it.

If you said “Why are there no variations in sports? all you got is-…” Oh wait, never mind, that doesn’t work, because there are thousands of different sports you can participate in out there, and they’re all entertaining. Even within “ball-sports” there are hundreds of variations! Football, soccer, baseball, basketball, cricket and handball just to name the ones that are most popular.

So there really is no variation in SPvP. There’s only one mode, when there are tens, if not hundreds of variations they could have implemented as well. Conquest would be the equivelant of basketball. It’s one spesific mode within SPvP, while basketball is one spesific mode within ball-sports.

There are two things humans will never observe; infinity and nothingness.

in PvP

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

They said during beta they only have conquest to start things off and they’ll add more game modes “shortly”.

in PvP

redshark.8517

Why are people even entertaining the idea that something is coming later? Would you buy a car if they told you they’d paint it “some other time”? Would you buy a TV with 5 channels and more to come “at a later date”? Would you buy a radio with only one volume setting and a way to fix it “in the mail”?

If you pay a premium price for a new car you expect it to have all the goodies. Power windows, a/c, probably gps, etc. Having only one PvP mode in this game is like a car dealer saying “Yeah, a/c has been around for 70 years, but we weren’t sure how cool it would get the car, so we just left it out.”

It’s LAZY. You’re not sure how the PvP will filter out? TEST IT BEFORE RELEASE. 5 years in development and all we get is ONE game mode? Ridiculous.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

@Psilocin – No you have a terrible analogy. Different ball games are different sports in themselves with different rewards and stuff. I would compare GW2 PvP to a triasport of basketball, soccer and netball (different sports with the almost the same mechanics that is to put the ball to a goal)- Being a sport with 3 different minisports (that is to account for the different maps)

in PvP

miracle.4216

They said during beta they only have conquest to start things off and they’ll add more game modes “shortly”.

Can you link to this? I’d like to know what other modes. Hopefully NOTHING that has to do with cap points/“conquest”. Dying to see capture the leader and team death match.

in PvP

Posted by: Mathemagician.7314

Mathemagician.7314

I agree! More game types would be fun!

80 Necro: Yami Blind @ [US]Sea of Sorrows
Commander for [Sexy] of the Synergy Alliance

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Ive been harping on this issue for months as well since the Beta’s

Capture points is already getting boring.

they need more sPVP modes. like deathmatch, capture the flag , 2v2 etc etc

also the PVP browser is a joke

I want structured GvG since all World V world is is a Zerg Fest for guilds and others.

in PvP

Posted by: mickers.2715

mickers.2715

I would really like a arena system so i could play with my close friends in some 2v2 or 3v3.

Also i would love to have alliance battle’s back they were my favourite part of GW1

Im not sure how a capture the flag could work without healers, i forget the name of the gametype but where the team holds onto an object like a flag and get points for every 10 seconds held could work.

in PvP

Posted by: Tarof.4692

Tarof.4692

I like conquest. I did not at all like SWTOR warzones. I don’t know how people are missing the whole conquest is more entertaining for people to watch (e-sports) which is what anet wants to do with sPvP. And lol @ the “50v50” idea…come on.

I must disagree here, i might be alone in this but i have seen some tspvp and its rather dull to watch tbh.
I watch alot of LoL tourney and i prefer to watch em over gw2 even though i dont play lol myself.

What makes that game more interesting to watch is team fights, its a little dull in the lane phase but picks up greatly after when team roam starts.

Gw2 was mostly 1v1 or 2v2 scenario with maybe one rare team fight here and there. Not very interesting for me atleast.

I would like to see something that promote team fights rather then the heavy focus on 1v1 2v2.

in PvP

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

We need larger maps with maybe an extra control point, you almost always get caught in a Zerg situation or Zerg vs Zerg situation, in which case skill is out the window. Runners have to be made more useful, everyone for the most part are playing pure dps glass cannons since they are group zerging anyway. You will be hard pressed to find a support spec, every now and then you run into an unkillable guardian spec.

in PvP

Posted by: Lestrange.8497

Lestrange.8497

Very disappointed with the lack of variety in the maps. I know I’m a noob still learning the game but the maps just feel bleh I don’t enjoy the conquest style. I was hoping this game would offer up something like Hutball in Star wars or a capture the flag scenario.

As someone who plays games primarily for PvP I don’t feel much pull to this game in it’s current state. I know I have a lot to learn about all the classes and specs still but the pvp hasn’t been exciting or rewarding enough in my experiences to make me want to invest the time in it. Oh look we captured a point, or look we lost a point, oh look we recaptured the point…

The gear is hideous, the chests haven’t given me anything that I can really use. I don’t really have any complaints about the combat itself so I don’t feel like my problems with the game are l2p issues but rather how the system operates and the overall experience. I keep trying to enjoy it but can’t get into it which is kind of sad since there is a lot I like about the rest of the game.